Alpha 3: Q & A

V-Ryu-Jimmy,

Every thread dude? Every A3 thread? heheh sheesh!

Apoc.

LOL! Sounds fun! Pick a character, Iā€™ll try! Who knows? I was gonna use A-Vega next cuz Vega/Chun/Rog are my og characters=)

Apoc.

Hmmm I dunno what character hasnā€™t been covered much? If all the stuff about SFA3 that was ever posted on this messageboard (including lost crash stuff) was collected together then youā€™d have a lot of info about everything. So Iā€™m not sure who is the least talked about.

Since most of the time on SFA3 threads people want VCā€™s and not an overall list of tactics that the character can use, so it seems like as soon as the match starts you must get into position for VC lol

Iā€™m not sure if SFA3 overall character tactics should be discussed more, since two stuff ups can cost the match in competitive play, and its even more dangerous since a VC or CC can be tacked on to the end of it.

ST seems to have more focus on overall tactics and gameplan on that level because they donā€™t have the luxury of doing a memorised and practiced series of attacks that the opponent cannot defend against after you get a hit. Easy ST damage just sounds like its harder to get in comparison. I suppose this is what makes old-school players who used to play ST better than newer players since the basic ground tactics are already at a good level with ST players, while newer players are trying to memorize VCā€™s and so forget the other things.

Hmmmm Iā€™m rambling

How bout v-dan?.. heā€™s got like a vism counter, with his pushblock. doesnā€™t that bring him anywhere above absolute bottom tier?

I believe Temujin could talk best about V-Dan.

A-Guy = too good
Apoc = My father

Whiff cancelling into overheads off a final fight chain that was blocked is neat.

Hey hey hey! Chill on the ā€œoldā€ jokes bro! Iā€™m not THAT old:mad:

heheh:p

Apoc.

I think if you walk one step forward and neutral roundhouse you can punish it. At least is memory serves me right. Iā€™m interested in knowing for sure, just out of curiousity. No more playing Rose for me. The only reason I remember, is cuz I remember NOT being able to do it in Zero3CRAPPYUpper, and I got frustrated.

Daniel

Blanka is pretty much an auto-loss against Dhalsim. I think itā€™s the worst match in the game. In my experience, heā€™s also pretty much an auto loss against Gief too, as well as Honda (!) and Balrog. Such a poor track record against two of the most played characters and one of the worst (Honda, not 'rog ā€“ I donā€™t want to be flamed to death by Apoc :)) is a horrid sign.

Most people who play Blanka tend to play on auto-pilot (to use TSā€™ term) and tend to tely on his jumping attacks and rolls to overwhelm an opponent. No insult meant, but, yes, noobs love Blanka because the donā€™t have to think to win with him. However, if you do take time to play him intelligently, heā€™s decent.

i dunno if heā€™s so bad vs Gief, well A-Gief anyway. imho heā€™s kinda like Vega in many respects, and in that match Giefā€™s (lack of) mobility doesnā€™t help. iā€™d agree abot the auto-pilotā€¦ thereā€™s a lot of stuff u can see coming that just forces you to take guard damage if you donā€™t have the tools to fight him. but against certain chars like X-Rog, Blanka literally loses for free :smiley:

Apoc:
iā€™ve never thought about releasing the stick, thanks. i figure tho in the US the sticks are rather tight; over here the sticks are the japanese style ultra-loose ones so letting go is a bit of a problem (large stick rotation diameter).

mmā€¦ iā€™ve tried several things

• holding down, tapping K, then doing the qcf much more quickly then hitting P (like your second method)
  • holding down-back, then the qcf much more quickly then hitting P.

the second one i listed shouldā€™ve worked better in theory but itā€™s pretty much the same i find. will need more testing :smiley:

OKAYā€¦ does anyone have any tips for learning Gief? iā€™m just talking about landing SPDs more consistently.

• iā€™m using super loose sticks so any ideas on that situation would be good. for one thing it took me at least 4 years to realize that to do a 360 or 720 on loose sticks, you donā€™t need to scrape the edges of the stick casing (you donā€™t have to touch the square hole the stick is mounted in).

• clockwise or counterclockwise? as in, what works best for you.

• lately iā€™ve made a point to tap JP > FP after the 360 motion. i think in theory i should get either a jab SPD, a fierce SPD, or a whiffed prox cancelled jab into a fierce SPD. or basically just a doubled chance of an SPd coming out. sometimes tho the jab just comes out on the full due to human error. should i bother drumming both buttons?

• is jab prox cancelled into SPD commonly used at all?

• Gief jumps on me with fierce, which i block. i try to jump after the block, but his close low roundhouse always tags me. wtf?

• how to beat Giefā€™s jumping forward knee without meter? seems to be rather abusableā€¦

ohā€¦ is Moukoā€™s All About A3 translation still in the works? anyone heard from him?

• doesnā€™t the AAA3 book list some some of the best/most useful guard crushing strings for each character? like Roseā€™s low strong > low forward > far roundhouse. we could use more of that.

• whatā€™s Kenā€™s best strings into RK or f.RK? itā€™s one slow thing but iā€™ve seen someone beating shit outta ppl with it and missing wasnā€™t an issue. itā€™s not his ST roundhouse (speedwise) but i figure it involves conditioning them not to jump, then whacking them with it.

• whatā€™s Rogā€™s standard VC? a lot of places have ā€œrepeated headbuttsā€ but he doesnā€™t have that on the arcade.

Sorry, but when anyone mentions A3 Gief I have to throw out http://shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13894. It has a lot of good info from before the big SRK crash as well as everything mentioned since and is worth reading.

I find clockwise easier if youā€™re asking. Itā€™s good to be ambispinderous if youā€™re learning since, as Apoc mentions in the Gief post: ā€œI had a good laugh when he talked about how good Japanese V-Gief was. What was funny was the reason. Whatā€™s funnier is that the reason is true. The Japanese are the only V-Giefs that can do the extended range grab from both sides consistantly!ā€

Yes! Get used to the ā€œmagic distanceā€ (again, Gief guide). Learn how to do it with Jab SPDā€™s and youā€™ll be amazed how far away you can suck them in from.

Hm. I donā€™t find Giefā€™s knees that special in A3. Now A2 on the other handā€¦

But seriously, I donā€™t know the situation youā€™re in, you just might not have frame advantage for retaliation. Practice your reversals? Same with jumping out of the fierce, though if you are getting tagged with the c.rh then the opponent most likely didnā€™t do the fierce deep enough and youā€™re getting hit in your pre-jump animation.

Yeah Iā€™d love some basic pressure strings and normal move priority comparisons for characters, but I doubt theyā€™ll be done for a long timeā€¦

For V-Ken I find b+FK more usable than his RK pokes most of the time since on a successful hit with b+FK(such as anti air) can be cancelled straight into a hadoken so you can keep pressure on.
I find the standing RK more useful when your sure they are not going to jump. b+SP is just a funny anti-air to use if you want to go for style points lol

Could some one tell me what any ism Vega has on V-Akuma??

ā€¦please donā€™t tell me Iā€™ve been crouch canceling off of counter hit jump jabs and turtling, when I could have just hit Roundhouse. It makes me feel sad.

His own blood.

I dunno, Vega doesnā€™t do TOO bad, especially if youā€™re playing someone who doesnā€™t get to play Vegas that often. Poke with crouching Strong and Fierce, and Forward, and all that, like usual, and learn when to jump. Vega doesnā€™t really have any character-based advantages, but in terms of practicallity, just keeping your distance and poking the shit out of them will draw out a Dp or fireball from a LOT of people, so you can do alright because of things like that.

There are vids of some CTF a3 tourney over at cornertrap. Really good match of Arturo vs Ricky Ortiz, but the rest of the vids are cool too (Nibor vs Ortiz, and 2 of Temujin vs Ortiz). Go get them if you donā€™t have them already. Mostly Sak vs Dhalsim, except Sabin plays some V-Vega, Nibor plays Cody, and Temujin used Cammy and Dan in one match.

Thanks for the linkā€¦ I have a friend thats better then me at A3. He has played longer then me. Its hard to win with his Vega A,X,or V. and beat my V-Akuma all I do is wait for him to try to come in and fuck up if he will not come in then Iā€™ll jump in on him with (Rh. Hurry Kicks )and get in on him and VC or just bust him up knocking his claw and mask off lol . Then I guard his shit if I have more health ;0ā€¦ Peace!

anyone got dan vcs?..

not i. but would u happen to know a guy named Patrick? decent player, played Karin Rolento and a few others, came down from Auckland (to Melbourne) a month ago.

Temujin (who has the best Dan Iā€™ve seen) uses I think two customs with Dan. Hereā€™s what they are from what Iā€™ve seen.

Anti air:

VC1, jab dp, land, s. roundhouse -> qcb + roundhouse, then keep doing qcb + short until the corner, then in corner, whiffed fireball, [fierce -> qcf + P] repeat brackets until 10% meter or even less is left, whiff s. jab, let shadow hit, and jump up for CCed fierces.

I donā€™t use dan so try this at your own risk :wink:

then he just has a corner fireball rave:

VC1, qcf + fierce over and over (add in a fierce or two at the beginning I guess), then with a little less than 50% meter left do qcb + short and go into the fierce -> qcf + P once or twice, and going into CC setup.

Yeahā€¦ if its the same patrick im thinkin ofā€¦ Does he have a shaved head?..

He was decent, but he was a long shy of being good i thinkā€¦ he sorta fell into patterns to easy and jumped too muchā€¦ Athough I doubt he put as much time and effort into it as the hardcore guys over hereā€¦

I remember this shoto scrub beat him off and was talking shit bout him behind his backā€¦ so I jumped on and raped the bastard offā€¦ But Patricks a nice guy, hes cool to talk tooā€¦

Ask him about the suit guyā€¦

Thanx Nibor, I was already doin the hadou rave and the whiff fireball customs with him but didnt know bout the CC stuffā€¦

Peaceā€¦

Can someone give me a lik to the old Alpha 3 thread pleez?