Akuma FAQs: Quick questions & answers!

i’m not sure if i’m getting it.

so do i just hit the hp a little later?

any tips or approximate time in linking the s.hp?

Try linking all of your combos rather than mashing and canceling them. Here is a tip: across your lifebar everytime you attack there will be a yellow line that streaks across the lifebar indicating the start and end of hitstun/blockstun press the button when the streaking yellow line is at the end. I use this to learn the loop timing better.

cr.lp, hp is a 1 frame link. This is the strictest timed link. If your hp is blocked, it means it was done too late, if hp does not come out, you did it too soon.

You might want to learn how to plink. There is a stickied thread in the SFIV forum.

To plink your combo you would hit HP~MP. Meaning hit hp a spilt second before mp. So the combo would be:
cr.lk, cr.lp, hp~mp

lp shakunetsu have 2 purpose imho
One, is to bait a jump, to land ultra or to take the advantage in a fireball war (mostly against sagat)
Second is character specific (Ryu mostly) that can punish your hp shaku with a tatsu at full range. You can prevent that with lp shaku (and punish the tatsu)

thanks! i scanned it and it was really helpful! i got it a few times, just need to practice plinking a bit more.

also, when i tatsu to cr. roundhouse, the sweep misses all the time. why’s that?

That only works on a couple characters, viper or sagat for instance.

You know what is truly ironic. I answered that in the first post!

I give up… People are just too damn lazy.

Ah man you mean I don’t get to have my emo moment now? Well shoot I was looking forward to it. :rofl:

The timing just takes a little practice. You want to hit it almost at the same time as Akuma touches the ground. Against some characters I have noticed it is easier than others. I don’t know if that has to do with the size of the hit boxes or floatiness of the characters or if it is just me.

I’m having extreme difficulties linking s.jab ~ s.RH
I’ve tried PLinking as explained earlier but it isn’t working.

Whats the trick to it? Tap Jab and then immediately PLink HK~MK ?

^look at my above post about watching the streaking yellow line across the lifebar. That is the hitstun after sLP watch the yellow line until it is near the end then press HK. It is easily the most reliable way to learn your timing.

I agree 100%…having teleport is almost better than +500 extra HP. We can get out of the knockdown/crossup mixups that rape the other characters. Not having to deal with Zangief, Gen, El Fuerte, Abel mixups is A HUGE advantage.

Same here as well… When you are always attacking and putting pressure, you don’t notice the low health at all.
Most of the time, when I win, I have more than half of my HP.

Wanna ask about jumping in with EX air fireball which seems to be the next big thing with the Japanese Gouki’s these days and looks really useful.

At the cost of an EX you get a pretty darn safe jump-in with the double fireball for some really good space control on them walking in, whiffing pokes or whatever. On block you get a heavy frame lock for whatever you like and on hit you go easily into an HP combo starter. Best of all: it’s like a free pressuring jump where they eat the combo for trying to SRK it!

Been watching it in vids for a while and wanting to try it out but I’m unsure of how to execute it correctly. In the vids the correct timing for this sees them releasing the air fireballs at about 4/5 height in the ascending part of the jump. Tried it out half-heartedly myself and always seem to get it too late with the release where the fireballs fly over their head or something.

Are others on this board using this jump-in yet? seems like a strat you wouldn’t want to miss experimenting with. How do you time this for the correct release? do you have to TK the input or is it later than that? any input tips?

This is just me but, give me 150 extra stamina so I’m an even 1000 like Ryu, and I’d throw away the teleport no problem.

How about some links to the videos in question?

If its really that much of a problem to time it right, try triggering it like the coward copter.

It’s around in most top Gouki vids really, used commonly vs Shotos, but I guess this vid is a good active example:

[media=youtube]IR7tJNqnrQA[/media]

The need for timing it right is so that the angle of the fireballs is correct to immediately apply pressure but also, it’s used at the right point in the jump where the opponent has enough time to identify it as a common jump-in and go for a reactional AA/SRK and get beat by the fireballs.

TK may not bait the AA this way and allow them to see and block in time, while releasing at the right height in the descending part of the jump will probably leave you vulnerable to trading with the SRK and losing your momentum and damage.

This jump-in strat should be good to use once in a while because of the heavy pressure on block and easy hit confirm plus the advantage over AAs. Not only this, the threat of being able to beat the SRK means this can factor in making the opponent hesitant in AAing your ordinary jump-ins and can give you more with your offensive mindgames.

Instant air fireball has an easy to do input once you know it.

:d::df::r::uf::r::2p:

Thanks to Magman for the tip.

I actually find that difficult on a pad. There’s a problem with it registering :uf::uf::2p:. I’d like to know why it gives me a :uf: twice without needing a neutral in between.

A large chunk of the time when players need to rapidly FADC into an Ultra and get a Shoryuken motion instead, it’s because the game gave them :qcf::d::df::df::3p:.

The other time I try to go from :uf: to :r: it’ll otherwise give me :uf::df: in an input susytem where it’s several times easier to get a diagonal input than a straight one.

:lame:

does anyone else get shaku instead of tele when getting crossed up sometimes? I know I’m NOT doing hcb so wtf?

^yes are you doing the shortcut df,d,db,d,df because shaka will come out if crossed up. you have to do the real SRK inputs for it to be 100%.

ok. so if i do db,d,db to tele … it counts as df inputs on xup? shortcuts are double edged swords then i guess. shit needs to get gone in dash.

another question…

is hp.hadou the go to for cancelling into/from? or are there circumstances where lp.hadou would be better ( in combos )

i’m still learning akumas basics, though i can execute all of his combos. is there a basic akuma thread somewhere outlining his pokes/specials and ideal times to use them?

sry … nubkuma here