Air X-Factor Grab Counter?

I asked this in the Doom sticky thread, but got no replies. Hoping I can get some responses this way.

[media=youtube]f8prqc6gyyg[/media]

14:08 in

How does Marliepie guarantee a grab after FChamp x-factors in an attempt to stop Doom’s mix-up?

Do you just have to dash-cancel it in reaction to the x-factor?

I am no expert, but this appears to be an option select that takes advantage of the input for foot dive and the mechanics of incoming characters and their invulnerability to throws.

An incoming character cannot be thrown or command thrown unless they have either first been put into and out of blockstun (achieved by the j.M for 2 hits) OR performed an action in the air such as airdashing, an aerial attack with startup, or in this case, x-factor. Marlinpie set up the throw by calling Ammy to cover him then going for the j.M. Had Champ tried to airdash or whatever to escape, he would’ve eaten the j.M, which Marlinpie would likely have converted into a f+H j.S -> corner combo. If he blocked, Marlinpie would just f.H then airdash cancel to safety on block.

When Champ XFC’d it took him out of blockstun at the wrong time, as Doom had just finished his j.M and was inputting f.H for the footdive. Champ did not pushblock correctly and this allowed Doom to be in range for his f.H footdive to read as f.H forward airthrow. I wouldn’t say it’s a “dash cancel” off of the M but it could be in any case, as dash canceling with ATK+H would get you an option select airthrow as well. I also wouldn’t call this a “guaranteed” setup, just lucky timing for Marlinpie.

I could be wrong but hopefully that’s a good starting point, sorry if anything is inaccurate. I invite others to chime in as well.

Does it have to do with the j.M actually ending or the fact that you can chain into f+H? I’ve seen people do the same thing other other characters and I thought maybe they were just chaining into H but inputtting forward aswell and due to the xfactor it counts as a throw? Any info on that would be nice.