AE Laura: Ten More Years of Electric Tears

Is the invincibility only for VT2? would make sense if so and that makes VT2 the go-to against Guile no question.

Yes and only if you cancel the command dash from Matsuda Sway.
I was skewing through the hitboxes and these are other changes I found:

• j.LK now has a hurtbox around it and is not a free jump-in anymore. To compensate, the hurtbox of j.HP and j.HK has been dramatically raised, making them way better jump in buttons (especially against light AAs).
  • both st. and cr.LP have massive hurtboxes above them so in case you ever used them as AA forget it now.
  • the only change to st.MP seems to be a slightly lower hurtbox on her head, which seems kinda weird to me since you can crossup with it now.
  • cr.MKā€™s hurtbox got massively increased over her head so no more low profiling stuff.

I mained the right waifu!! =)

I gotta say now that weā€™re several days in, as fun as the new clap cancels are, I hardly ever get vtrigger 1 unless Iā€™m down to a pixel. Iā€™ve basically given up on it and choose spark stance almost exclusively. Anyone else? I still think Laura is good, but they should have made it so her v-dashes gain meter. Spamming overhead is a great way to get murdered.

I like VT2 more but mainly because I tend to play more neutral/buttonsy and not go ham with the setups. I think it would be hard to give you meter for command dashes because itā€™s way too spammableā€¦ the only thing they could do is giving meter if you cancel into specials off command dash. Besides, VT1 has a huge comeback factor, so it makes sense you only activate it when you have less life left.

Also I found out you can use Matsuda Sway to dodge and punish v-reversals. Unfortunately it only works if they do them late or if they v-reversaled a light button, so its utility is more limited than I thought :frowning:

Yeah, I get that VT1 is for the comeback factor but I seriously rarely ever get that much meter and with the MK nerf itā€™s a bit harder to find an in and activate even when you get it. I donā€™t think her command dashes are spammable, theyā€™re negative even after you cancel on hit. I guess right now I just feel like all those flashy new mixups are great for training room but I donā€™t know if weā€™ll be seeing them in actual matches all that often. Hope Iā€™m wrong though!

I think with the buff meter for landing the overhead you just have to find the appropriate set ups for it. Like when the opponent is cornered, you use EX FB, then use the overhead to be protected by the FB. Or using overhead on their wake up late frame wise. Ive been able to pop it quite a few times in every match its just being a bit more creative with how you utilize the overhead.

As for her clap cancels I do agree its a bit gimmicky. I dont really have any point in using it since all you can really do is st/cr jab into lp. elbow versus mixup heaven and big damage.But her unseeable mixup from EX FB cancels can lead to some foolery for sure its just getting the timing down for all of it. Heres a video at the end showing some weird things you can do.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qr1SorOIc40

Her VT2 I think is really just to stop the match and make them really have to think. Ive been popping it and not even using it because everyone starts to get throw happy and they take unnecessary damage because they think, ā€œI CAN JUST THROW!!!ā€ Its moreso just to scare people and to bypass blatant mistakes.

That air reset > sideswitch into an EX fireball looks damn tasty. I really need to lab that VT moreā€¦

I made a short video explaining the concept of a VT1 setup I found yesterday.
I didnā€™t explore the corner situation or other followups but I think you can see the general idea.
Feel free to tell me what you think!

So if anyone wants some more Laura tech and help, watching Idom is so much fun! He seems to have adjusted extremely well to Lauraā€™s changes. He really utilizes the clap cancels and trigger clap cancels. The st.mp buff has helped him so much more now that characters have to actually try and cross her up.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=v8l1QWjBTic

Also, whats this about Wolfkrone dropping Laura for Zeku??? He explains it here but I dont see her as bad. If anything she stayed the same minus the st.mk and the st.lp nerf and her matchups are still the same. Alot of the things heā€™s complaining about she always had since the first season (bad jumpins, if you whiffed a command grab you were getting punished no matter if its -56 or -199, no range and poor neutral, ect.) Not to mention the scaling and such got put on everyone so you just have to be more strategic if you want to use it or not. Then again, Zeku has alot of things that Laura doesnt have (ex dp, divekicks, long range + safe normal) but I dont feel this somehow wrecks her more than what she had last season. Thoughts?

I think we can all agree that while Laura is top tier, she does have to work MUCH harder than the other top tiers to get her shit right and going. People dont understand its as much as a guessing game for Laura as it is for them. Unlike characters like Urien, Birdie, Rashid, Karin, Ibuki, Guile, and the bunch Laura cant just press whatever she wants and be ok if she messes up or just be -2 at worst case scenario.

Wolfkrone is doing his usual rant. He already said he would drop Laura for other characters many times before.

I never thought she was top tier at any point during S2. Right below top tier maybe. Her flaws in neutral and the fact her victory relies on the opponentā€™s guessing ability will forever doom her as being ultimately inconsistent. The fact they nerfed her strongest neutral tool and reinforced the guessing part inevitably made her fall a few spots down the list.

Yeah, I can see that. Where would you say she is now?

You didnā€™t ask me and its been a long silence here but Iā€™m gonna say Mid tier at best. No longer top by any stretch of the imagination after the dust has settled and the nerfs effects have been felt. And yet here we have Necalli walking around with that same knee and command grab with better range. Sheā€™s done this season sadly. Iā€™m probably jumping ship until she gets fixed and have an alt character to help her out. Real talk Iā€™m just salty I canā€™t get away with anything anymore. Mash jab and beat it. My opponent really needs to be clueless against laura to lose to her tricks now.

1 Like

The new vtrigger 1 changes are pretty awesome. I think itā€™s just going to inspire more hate for the character because by the time you get it, youā€™re almost dead. Makes people feel like you stole the game. Iā€™m not going to lie. It feels good landing that crossup hp clap in vtrigger 1.

I think weā€™ll still see people winning this season, but itā€™s a little bit more tough to keep pressure up losing s.mk. Adjusting to using mostly s.hk, c.hp, and c.mp for long ranged footsies has lost me a lot of points.

Wellā€¦after 2 months with her I have to agree with even Wolfkrone. Sheā€™s taken a hit. I thought the other charatcers getting nerfs would balance her out but everyone now just keeps jabbing her out of everything. Her overhead still gets low kicked out. Her jumping hurtboxes werent adjusted at all because she can still be jabbed/cr. jabbed out of the crossup no matter whether medium or heavy attack no matter the timing or the recovery of the opponent. Even Diamond Mikaā€™s realized now you can AA her by doing her cr.lkā€¦HOW? Her st.mk doesnt hit 50% of the time after a EX.FB launcher and is way too slow. She cant combat any BS pressure anymore without it and she kind of a sitting duck now even with -2 attacks because her jabs short range. To be honest I dont think something is right with her hurtboxes in relation to her hitboxes compared to the other characters.

She just doesnt have anything to challenge the other characters and its really making it really hard to play her well. Someone said it best that Capcom took whatever neutral she had and put it in her 50/50 mixup game, but in turn that makes her really solely rely on that which isnt good because she doesnt have as many options as the other cast does without it.

I think you can still win with her of course, but its just more difficult now that the likes of Guile, Rashid, Karin, Cammy, Abigail, Bison, Ed, Necalli, Akuma, Kolin, ect are still safe on the majority of everything and she cant contest due to her range unless theyve really messed up. Her opponents have to really mess up in order to get that damage.

Iā€™ll still main her but Iā€™m moving onto Kolin for now.