Advanced Balrog (Boxer) Mind Games + Tricks

It seems to be a bit faster to me for whatever reason.

Don’t make me bring up SvC chaos here and the 0 charge time in that “game”

Oops I already did >_>

Thank you for the reverse tiger knee charge hahaha. Didn’t think about that and never had a chance to test it since I have to go to the local GameStop in order to play the game in the first place.

sick thread bro, good stuffff

Updated my post above to include the section on escaping meaty attacks, cross ups, safe jumps, etc.

I think that’s all I’ve got for now.

I look forward to the other Rog users on here to use the resources found in this thread, discover new things and share them with the rest of the community.

Thanks guys. This was a really great read. I’m not quite skilled enough to contribute much, but hopefully I can improve using some of the ideas here.

So does the OH punch connect to a low strong XX Headbutt on Sagat? Havent had a chance to test out myself, but I know that OH into low short misses because Sagat gets pushed back to far. If it does work, good shit I can still use it!

a very informative read, thanks a lot ephemeral!!

I’ve had it hit and miss. I’ve resorted to using dash punch instead for overall effectiveness.

It would connect if its on a counter hit from a standing kick of some form. But the best bet is c.mp definitely connects whereby c.lk does not. but c.mp does not guarantee headbutt hit on crouch. If hes standing when OH hits, c.lk would hit, but on crouch, the punch pushes sagat away too far for c.lk to be connected. C.mp works, and a dash straight is the best form of offense it offers.

So yeah john rog’s right :smiley:

how do you guys compensate for boxer’s lack of crossup? the ambiguous crossup doesnt seem too reliable

Aww yeah. Thanks for sharing Ephemeral and Wang!

This is a great thread. c.hk cancel into throw is something I am going to add to my game immediately.

There is tons of great information on this site.

Thanks everyone!

alot of these tricks cant really be used integral to his gameplay, but more of ‘clutch’ plays or restoring a broken rushdown momentum to your favor. I mean, if rushdown has been consistent for you, you wouldn’t resort to these tricks. In my opinion anyways, but it does keep our game safe and consistent. In my experience I dont recommend a true rush-down compared to a consistent pressuring through normals, zones until there is an opening available.

I’ve been discussing the issue of how to step up to even a further level of playing SF4, and many of my peers who main other characters are all saying that no matter how powerful or the array the tools your character has, you really must be patient in your games over the need to damage them.

The ambiguous cross-up could be mastered, but I wouldnt base my style around it. Its very smart, but the fact that rog cannot cross up makes him a very fundamentally flawed character. In fact, thats probably the only MAJOR weakness I can truly think of for rog. we really have no answer for crouching blockers but overhead or jump-in, theres not really a real way to compensate for his lack of cross-ups.

I mean, example one would be, if i jumped in at a shoto, i’d get shoryu’d out or c.hp out. I would be more likely to stop jumping at him.

But for rog, landing an overhead punch doesn’t discourage blocking/turtling, because it still is safe to block low if you just know when you know the other rog has a back charge ready, which in most cases is 1 or 2 lp’s worth. They can just block standing and react. Its a flaw, and that is probably why balrog imo cannot perform consistently against the same opponent again and again. Its the fact that they learn that balrog cannot cross-up, and our only option of overhead punch or jump-in can easily be negated.

I love rog, and he’ll still be my main, but I’m aware its necessary that I also have an alt learned at a similar skill level as rog, as a fail safe.

(which at the moment is bison.)

I currently have no way to compensate for the lack of cross-up options, so I just tend to base my game on zoning and throwing, and tossing specials only to punish or safely build meter). Its consistent I suppose, and I’m fairly satisfied with my performance at the arcades recently (post influx of console gamers hitting the cabs.) My goal every game is that I don’t allow my opponent to jump at or move past me and become a wall until i corner trap him, then find an opening from there.

Though, I can share that I made this thread recently because I’m aware that alot of the other characters have their own tricks too. (Blanka’s hop shenanigans, Bison’s Slides).

Meaty wakeup overhead punch gives you enough time for a c.rh. That’s what I’ve been using since it puts them on their ass again with no quickstand. Is there a better option I could be using here?

It’s been mentioned but you can link into a headbutt combo for meter and juggle into ultra off it. You can also toss in an ex upper for extra damage. It really depends on what you have and what you want to do so there’s no real right answer to your question.

The front page has been edited for weird whiffs after overhead which is nice.

Also, great thread. I was a lover of tricks in ST so this is great reference material.

In Balrog mirrors, I’ve found that c.rh is the best damage you can get off of an overhead =\

Actually. s.rh does a jabs worth more but it doesn’t get you the knock down.

if you’re reading this jay, im just wondering whether this stuff can get stickied. i think this stuff is worthy of digestion of all rogs

Yes. Every character thread should have a discussion like this.

Ephemeral this information you gave was very generous of you. Really goes against the STSFN attitude and I like it.

I especially like the uses you mentioned for the ex dash upper and the ultra or headbutt on blocked TAP.

I have always known that I always block, dash or jump back because people always try hit me after blocking it. Yet it just didn’t register to try to punish till I read your post =P.

I also agree that his FADC into throw is absolutely a must to playing rog effectively.

I wish I had something to contribute… maybe this:

I’ve been fluctuating between the 4200-4500 bp range for a little while now. Seems like nearly all fights are people running away from me / turtles. There are some random noobs at this BP range that sort of screw my game up because I’m not expecting them. But I think what might be helpful to talk about strats for chasing people. Maybe that belongs in the character specfic thread, but the only characters I really every feel the need to back away from are Zangief and Abel.

I’ve found TAP and a lot of neutral jump fierce -> direction is needed to play the patience game. Probably need to jump straight up 10-15 times a round vs some characters.

I can’t perform the hard combo you listed…are you sure it is worth it? Is it J.roundhoouse, s.roundhouse (close?), link-EX dash upper? I can never get the dash upper to hit. Is it one of those one-frame links? If so, is it worth learning… (fyi I play online mostly). =)

ARRGG. I saw how to do it on the you tube video… you posted:

j.hk, st.hk, exRU, c.lp x 2, headbutt.

It is actually j.hk, st.hk, LOW SHORT, exRU, c.lp x 2, headbutt.

I spent 30 minutes in training mode trying to link st.HK to EX rush lol.

oh yeh sorry bro LOL. ive been tryna promote that combo for ages. its part of my regular play. :stuck_out_tongue: