Abel FAQs + Hitbox Videos

Ok, so we’re getting a lot of the same Abel questions repeatedly, and it’s not a question of babysitting; the old threads are humongous, and hard to sift through. Let’s make this the new Abel FAQ thread, and I will try and edit the first post frequently.

The ENTIRE Abel forum on Shoryuken has helped contribute to create this FAQ. I am nothing more than a copy/paster, so full credit goes to everyone who has helped out/has continued helping.

If you’re completely new to Abel, or interested in learning him, check out this great thread by Dustlooper: Link

ABEL HITBOX VIDEOS(Thanks to Nemesys)

HITBOX VIDEOS

Spoiler

[media=youtube]-BOeNuFxJxc[/media]
[media=youtube]Kp73eMUuV70[/media]
[media=youtube]Q_pXqDu4ePs[/media]
[media=youtube]MKJFHKdSj8Y[/media]
[media=youtube]pXDR7bauPvw[/media]
[media=youtube]Oh5SExOZBjw[/media]
[media=youtube]BqyFbgDTYTw[/media]
[media=youtube]m08jEpPpuBQ[/media]
[media=youtube]GrbJM3GJBo8[/media]
[media=youtube]HcewsHDl-zo[/media]
[media=youtube]ilB_FLtqMqs[/media]
[media=youtube]oAJ6xsRktoI[/media]
[media=youtube]dn8WJMvOpec[/media]
[media=youtube]iYGTgz0pm0U[/media]
[media=youtube]38WGohIDUII[/media]
[media=youtube]j0fl76bEY9g[/media]
[media=youtube]ysiDvKeQr8M[/media]
[media=youtube]myXRZ4KTFsY[/media]

ABEL FRAME DATA: TRANSLATED, AND WITH NOTES, BY HFZ69: CLICK HERE

MORE FRAME DATA STUFF

Spoiler

More frame data stuff: https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B7S1JTWz7Q_COThkOTU2NTYtYTA2YS00YjVjLTg3NDMtNTI4NTUyOTBlN2Yx&hl=en&authkey=CPOK4NUG (F.MK dash (point blank) CR.LK CR.LP)

Okizeme Variety:

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B7S1JTWz7Q_CYzkwNWUxYzktNmY0YS00MzhhLTk5N2MtOGIzMzgzOWYzMjA1&hl=en&authkey=CPnAyIwG

1. I am having trouble doing the F+MK into S.HP combo. How can I improve?

This is a 1 frame link combo. It is hard.

There are two ways to improve on this combo:

a.) Learn to PLINK combos. More info can be found here. Long story short, press HP~MP instead of HP only.

b.) Practice. Practice practice practice. If you’re still not getting it with plinking, there is no magic answer. The only answer is to keep doing it until it is ingrained into your muscle memory. Street Fighter is about hard work, as much as SF4 tries to undo this. If you’re not willing to put in the dedication, you’re not going to be able to get the results.

There is also minor discussion about this combo in this thread.

1. What are the properties of Abel’s Tornado Throws? Is there a difference between EX and normal?

Abel’s LP, MP, and HP Tornado Throw beats every other throw based move in the game except for Ibuki’s Raida. (HCB+Punch) This includes regular throws, command grabs, throw ultras, and throw supers (example: giefs ultra and super). Regular hits that are faster than Tornado throw on startup will beat tornado throw. If two Abel’s do tornado throws against each other at the same time, both will whiff.

Abel’s EX throw has invincibility frames against HITS. This means that it will absorb most hits in the game, which include Rogs dash punches, and even stuff like Chun Li’s U1 on startup (assuming you are close enough of course). The EX tornado throw however, can be THROWN.

To summarize:

range (best to worst) - lp, mp/ex, hp
damage (best to worst) - hp/ex, mp, lp
recovery (quickest to longest) - hp, mp, lp, ex
normal TTs are throw invulnerable
ex TT hit invulnerable
all TTs have the same startup

1. Why do some people do [Crouching Fierce xx Roll xx Falling Sky], while others simply do [Crouching Fierce xx Falling Sky]?

Rolling builds meter. Doing a roll in the middle of the combo builds extra meter.

However, the combo is character specific (refer to question 3 for details). This means that fierce falling sky will not work after the roll for some characters so you will have to medium punch falling sky, which lowers your damage.

Some people will do [c.fierce xx roll xx falling sky] even on characters that they have to use medium punch falling sky. This is because the combo is also easier to hit confirm. This means that if you’re unsure as to whether your opponent blocked the c.fierce, you will get a roll instead of a falling sky, which is much more vulnerable. A roll is not safe however, as it can be throw.

Side note: c.fierce not cancelled into anything is also unsafe on block against some characters.

1. I am having trouble doing [crouching fierce xx roll xx fierce falling sky]

Firstly, this combo is character specific. This chart highlights which characters you can do it on.

A difficulty of one usually denotes that it is worthwhile to use this combo on those characters. For a difficulty of two or above, it is usually better to skip the roll.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3781/abelchart2.gif

HAV also suggests this if you are getting a COD after the c.fierce:

1. Does [F+MK, S.HP] work on characters that are crouching?

Only some. Refer to chart

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3781/abelchart2.gif

**5. What is a reset and how do I do one? Why do people talk so much about resets in reference to Abel? **

A reset is a string of damage that does NOT combo, but confuses the opponent enough so that they cannot block it properly. Street Fighter 4 has massive damage scaling built into the engine. That means that in a combo, each hit will do significantly less damage as the combo becomes larger. “Resetting” the combo allows you to do more damage, but you run the risk of having the opponent block it, and thus lose ANY chance of gaining damage. Resets CAN be reversaled or escaped, especially if your opponent is privy to reset shenanigans.

Abel’s roll and juggle potential off his crouching fierce allows him to set up significantly more reset opportunities than most of the cast.

This thread talks about Abel resets in detail.
Abel Cr. Fp Resets and mindgames

**6. Breathless vs Souless? **

Selecting U2 means you are trading the combo-ability of U1 for one of the best punishing moves in the game. Ultra 1 is easy to combo into off a c.fierce, but in some matchups landing that crouching fierce without damage scaling is hard.

Ultra 2 cannot be comboed into, but is amazingly quick, so not only can it punish moves that Ultra 1 cannot, but it also acts as a deterrent from people rushing Abel down, or playing carelessly in general. Sometimes, the threat of the ultra can be better than actually landing it!

7. How do the different strengths of Abel’s super work?

Each version of Abel’s super is invulnerable to a different form of attack. The jab version is invulnerable to hits, the strong version is invulnerable to throws, and the fierce version is invulnerable to projectiles.

**8. Who does Abel U1 work on in the corner?

Refer to this chart by hfz69

9. What are the properties of Abels Rolls?

10. Is Breathless cheap?

Yes, it is available in select supermarkets for only $2.50 a pound.

Wow, very nice idea. No more asking the same fucking question 100 times about how to do fwd.mk to fierce

Yeah, good stuff.

Good shit Desi… this is actually a really pragmatic approach to solving the problem. Can we get a sticky up in here ?

yo good shit though its better if youd reserve 1-2 spots…

It is fine, if I run out of space I can just ask Flushes to edit his post.

If you think any of the explanations are still unclear, just tell me and I will try and edit the wording.

FAQ thread ftw.

Some other topics that I’ve seen come up/were helpful to me when I first started using abel:

1. What’s a reset and how do I do one?

Basically a non-combo’d combo. A reset is NOT guaranteed damage but is useful as a) a mindfuck b) resetting the damage scale, thereby POTENTIALLY creating an opportunity for more damage than your standard combo finisher (ie. FS). Resets CAN be reversaled or escaped, especially if your opponent is privy to reset shenanigans.

http://shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=191730
This is a great thread that was never stickied and got lost in the fray…my personal favorite is cr.hp - lk.roll - cr.hp - hk.roll - fp.tt. great for blockers and throw mashers.

1. Breathless vs Souless?

Selecting U2 means you are trading the combo-ability of U1 for one of the best punishing moves in the game. U2 is also useful as AA and on wakeup…it is basically the noob tube of ultras lol. As HAV pointed out, the deterrent factor is also important…it forces your opponent to be much more careful with their meatys.

Personally, I’ve found that the damage scaling on your standard cod - fadc - cr.hp - U1 (as well as the sheer range of U2 punishable moves) has left me inclined to select breathless by default. Still though, both ultras are good enough that it basically comes down to a matter of match ups and personal preference.

1. Ambiguous cross-ups.

Lk.roll after a FS for an ambig cross-up. If your opponent blocks the wrong way, you’re in range for a nice cr.fp followed by whatever.
Also, after TT, you can also dash, then lk.roll. Careful on the timing though…you can obviously get thrown or reversaled.

1. Finally, “How do I deal with so-and-so?”

Answer: Check out the MATCHUP THREAD!! We have THREE! lol.

Props again to desi though for making this thread. Good shit.

^^^ Thanks patrollin, some good stuff! I’m appropriating everything I feel is relevant. I’m not giving people specific credit, but adversely I am taking none, and hopefully this works out for everyone. This entire forum has contributed too much for any one person to take credit!

Good stuff guys.

How do the different strengths of Abel’s super work?

Each version of Abel’s super is invulnerable to a different form of attack. The jab version is invulnerable to hits, the strong version is invulnerable to throws, and the fierce version is invulnerable to projectiles.

so yeah im workin on updating that abelchart posted above for super.

and theres also this small table i made for SSF4 Abel U1 in the corner

SSF4 Abel combos tests results (so far only two tests - will update when i have the time)

good stuff man sticky immediately

Bump

Really, really awesome stuff. Thanks.

What are Abel’s frame traps ? only c.jabs into f.mk ?

c.lp s.mp/hp

lookin at frame data helps

Anyone know if his focus attack got nerfed? It’s a lot harder to hit jumps/back dashes after falling sky/other setups than it was in vanilla. I’m seeing a clear difference, was wondering if it’s his FA or something else…?

It would be useful to add that lp TT has the longest range and hp TT does the most damage and has the shortest range and recovery, If I remember correctly.

my post taken from the old QnA thread

range (best to worst) - lp, mp/ex, hp
damage (best to worst) - hp/ex, mp, lp
recovery (quickest to longest) - hp, mp, lp, ex
normal TTs are throw invulnerable
ex TT hit invulnerable
all TTs have the same startup

ex TT deals the same damage as hp TT now.

ah okay just realized they nerfed the damage lol hp tt used to be 220…