AA's and combos

Hey guys,

was hoping to get some advice on improving my dudley play. Currently at a pretty beginner level, I know one critique i get is that I never use my anti airs. Watching the TUT, i feel like I have a pretty good understanding of what i’m suppose to do and have tried dudley’s options outside of s.mk. However, whenever I try to react to people jumping in at me, my anti airs get stuffed. This occurs with DP’s and most of dudley’s aa normals. I’ve noticed lately, i’ve begun to feel a lot less confident in my aa’s and now instinctively resort to blocking or giving up space. I’m just not sure if the issue is my reaction speed or if if using the wrong options.

eg: using lp.upper vs hp.upper. I’ve mostly been using lp for the juggle state but noticed that the hp only has 3 startup frames as apposed to lp and mp.upper’s 5. It seemed like a better option since my aa’s have trouble coming out, i figured it would help with my reactions not being quite on point. Also, it is my understanding that you can use shortcuts for some of the joystick inputs, such as (using numpad notations) 636 or 323 for the DP motion.

Training stage. Record the opponent to jump in. Train all day.

Certain characters you can’t st.mk, like Vega. Use ex.DP. Also, cr.HK is really good on certain characters jump-in, like Ryu’s. Generally, if you’re put in a situation where you gotta anti air a lot, you don’t need to improve your AA game, you’re doing everything wrong before it gets to that point. Good luck, sir.

thanks!