A serious mugen full game. No, really

Exactly, the amount of animation and the size of the sprites(compared to platformers etc) is a lot of work.
And not everyone knows how to program either.

I hear you guys. Drawing, coloring, and animating sprites can take months. But to me, programming a fighting engine is 100x harder and longer depending on how bad you are at it. Probably because I’m a noob programmer.

Give me a solid commerical use fighting engine and I’ll find a way to whip up some decent sprites for it, even if I have to do them myself a la MK style.

they’re trying to cash in on brand recognition, like capcom

because there is a literal 0% chance that any developer will make a worthwhile game in the next 10 years let alone ever again

edit: well i mean theres a few games but come on people. come on

I’m pretty certain I could write workable fighting game logic in less lines than it would take frames to animate it with a halfway reasonable cast. Adding the move properties for all of those frames would obviously change that equation, but whatever, it still might work out in some cases.

If you feel compelled to write your renderer and asset pipeline from scratch, it gets rather uglier, yeah, but that’s pretty unnecessary.

The intimidating part is getting the move properties right. Teams of experienced professionals with dozens of skilled testers can’t even manage that one that well.

I just feel like laughing at the premise at this thread. Maybe some of you know why.

Gah, lotta posts. Let me wade through all this for a bit here…
-As was pointed out, can’t really hack this into the rom. Even excluding the improved graphics, there’s the fact that you can’t really add content to the game, at most just swap out or gently tweak what’s already there (see SF3 “4rd Strike”). CPS-2 had some serious limitations that can’t be simply bypassed by modifying the rom. And even then I’m pretty sure the end result will be regarded with less regard than a mugen game.
-Fighter Maker…I’ve only touched briefly to be honest. But from what I can tell there is a lot more there that I’d be stuck with one way or another, namely the hit system and making sure it behaves as it should (i.e. series of x-axis position changes for ground get-hits, velocity for aerial, etc). This is kinda a case too where a lot of mugen games either can’t or work do anything with this, and instead rely on mugen’s default handling of a lot of things rather than override them. But in the end, they can be done properly in Mugen, so I’d rather stick with that.

Plus there’s a part of me that wants to prove it can be done…there’s really very little there in VS that can’t be replicated, and none of it is gameplay related.
-The argument’s already been made too as to why I can’t do completely original. I’d love to, and I want to. But right now even a fellow I hired to help me with the sprite work for this game struggled with developing sprites for new characters. And I’m a programmer, my passion is better digging through lines of code and building things to work…I don’t have the skill to sprite content that’ll make people go ooh and aah sadly.

I’ll post more as I get things done. If anyone’s interested in random notes or finding in VS’ system that isn’t posted about in that thread that was linked to earlier I can drop those from time to time too, just give the word.

Good Luck with that project.

I personally would rather not recreate the game and build a new game with new characters using a similar combat system. Putting in that much time and effort just to get that cease and desist letter is very depressing.

Look at the fan made remake of Chrono Trigger before they received their cease and desist letter from square. The team had promising members, amazing 3d visuals, superb narration and camera work, and an awesome remix soundtrack. Attract too much attention and I can assure you that you’ll be receiving a cease and desist letter from Capcom.

Mugen is nothing more than a dev tool and the tool itself is very complex and has a lot of freedom.

I wish you the best of luck.

It’s Capcom, they’re just as likely to actually feature this in Capcom-Unity than to send a C&D (last I checked, they’ve a more liberal policy to fangames and will actually use them to build hype/pat themselves in the back).

Hopefully that’s the case, if this remix holds true and is accepted by the community, I can already see a separation of the community between the “official(Capcom)” and “unofficial(kfm-remix)”.

It’s Mugen, so that’s not likely to happen.

This is 100% backwards.

So…move the game to an inferior (for the stated purposes) engine because of reputation based on completely different ambitions? That’s pretty dumb.

:lol:

Off course, you discount the fact that I made the suggestion before he stated that intent (in reply to my suggestion).

The intent was stated in the original post. It’s still an absurd suggestion.

Well as it stands, the engine’s doing wonders for what I need it to thus far. Really two things I wish it had access to were a frameskip controller of some sort and a means to swap characters on the fly for a proper Marionette mode. As it stands though a lot of things not really considered ‘possible’ in mugen I’ve found workarounds for, including a means to incorporate a turbo 3 setting, though it’s still got some kinks to work out. If anything what’s really holding me back is finding the hitbox data, but that’ll be in due time as I’ve torn apart 90% of the game’s memory and can watch what makes most of it “tick” on the fly. Thus far…aiming for a Halloween release of a demo.

sweet.

not got any real clue but couldnt you just rewrite mugen as needed to create a heavily customized game engine of your own?

like how games use unreal engine but tweak it to use ‘portals’ and ‘different things’?

He never stated the pro/cons of using Mugen over 2DFM in the original post, and most people I’ve talked to have always indicated that working on 2DFM was easier than Mugen.

A bit of a bump but some updates on how things are going. For the most part, the game is going exceptionally well, and even the presentation looks like Vampire Savior, right down to a complete override of the way rounds end to allow for a genuine continue screen. Gameplay’s been going smoothly too, though there’s one fatal problem in all this.

Close as I can figure…there’s currently no way to get the hitbox information from Vampire Savior. After months of trying the most I’ve found is the pointer value and related additional pointers, but haven’t been able to find the actual coordinates to use. And the worse part is close as I can figure, the reason is because the values do not stay in on spot in the game’s memory, but instead shift around constantly. Ironically the hitboxes would be the easiest thing to implement once found. In contrast, Night Warriors’ hitbox info is very easy to find thanks to the Saturn version’s built-in debug, but they’re different from VS’s too, so if I make use of them instead the game will not be accurate, and I’m unsure how smoothly they would work with VS’s gethit velocities. Ultimately testing and adapting would have to be done to prevent issues. VS also tends to recycle hitboxes from what I can tell with the pointer value, which implemented properly could ease such issues.

I’m not sure how to proceed.

did you see what i said in the other thread? in the post i link there, polarity linked a mame debugger build that you can use to find hitboxes and other stuff.

I didn’t have any luck with the debugger either: at most all I’ve found is that the pointer value relates to another four pointer values using an offset, which oddly do nothing when altered. Unless I’m missing something I struck out there too.