A reflection on 10 years of marvel. - Front page article!

MegamanDS is the shit. HAHAHAHAH.

:looney:Apologize in advance if this game is “too fast” for your simpleton brain.

This article was pretty well written, but I can’t help but a feel a vibe like he is saying the only good thing about this game is glitches and mistakes…

… oh well. IT’S MAHVELL BABY.

Nominated for an article.

Yeah. But those in the “hardcore crowd” are the ones that made this next game even possible. The button mashers have stopped playing this game long ago. I hope they at least make an attempt to take the advice of some of the vets.

However, like Ultima is saying, I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t…

@Magnetro: Why do you think that MvC2 has so many exploitable holes, glitches, and oversights when compared to other games? Were the creators just not thorough or was this on purpose?

mvc2 was made with being casual friendly in mind. everything from mvc1 was “dumbed down” from the assist which went from being two buttons with a certain number to one, the controls which was Nerfed into 2 4 total attack buttons from 6. And 2 button supers. basically it went threw a complete revision of its mechanics and it was tweaked to bring in more casuals…and that it did. Not only did it do that but it also became (IMO) the best fighter made and no not because of the work capcom but in but because of the work the players put in.

The mindset of players since then has changed, the times have changed… But its said to see a patch wanted for everything and people not sticking to games they enjoy because they lose to certain things or characters.

You have to understand that there are a lot of hardcore people who really do not want to see MVC3 look like TVC. So when people that they’ve never heard of say something, their impulse of “Oh no, not another 09’er/10’er” takes over. This is because the new people had no idea about 2’s community (they should have a better one after this thread) or why it was even liked by people so much. So just understand that a lot of the unwarranted hate comes from people who do not want to see MvC3 look like TVC. And those same people who kept the game alive are telling 09ers to be quiet because they hate the thought of MvC3 looking like TVC – mostly because the new people cannot provide a good enough reason and because they don’t know the history of the community.

MvC2 has so many holes (imo) cause the creators were focusing on the 3 hit rule and flying screen too much. They didnt bother to check everyone to see if they had attacks or exploits that could help circumvent the rules they implemented. For example, a lot of characters who have air dashes can do relaunch combos in some way or another one using their airdashes. The 3 Hit rule was supposed to prevent relaunches and infinites, but the airdashes allow the characters to do just those things.

The glitch/oversight of unfly/refly gives Sentinel amazing freedom. I am guessing the unfly glitch and refly are glitches that weren’t caught by Ozy when he tested it in like 2000.

I think this is a pretty excellent point. I do agree completely that player perseverance and desire to level up characters did lead to the state of the game as we know it. However, Capcom is in a really interesting position now, since they have the opportunity now to re-implement these elements BY DESIGN. Basically they can streamline and clean up a lot of the nuances like twitch guard, guard breaks, unblockables, infinites, etc.

Isn’t this the point? That Capcom doesn’t need to make their games less appealing to hardcore players to appeal to casuals? Like, casual players love MvC2 but it’s also not at all dumbed down at high levels. The attitude of Capcom now, given SF4, seems to be “we must make the game appeal to casual players even if it’s at the expense of the quality of the high level experience,” but MvC2 proves that just isn’t necessary.

Reading comprehension dude.

MvC2 was so good because it was so fucked up and we kept figuring out better ways to make it fucked up. A loose framework for gaming is what gamers really want. Games where you can’t do anything might be balanced but no one will care.

Nice read… Idk kno tho, something about where fighting games are going feels empty…

It’ll be nice if Marvel 3 ends up on a good enough level to cater to the hardcore players and the casual players. That way, everyone won’t be so divided over the game.

the longevity of the game is evident. at my local arcade i started playing this in 2001 when i was 14. i’m 23 now, and just last year a kid who’s 14 picked the game up and i’ve been training him for about 6 months now. circle of life and such lol.

very well written post fanatiq. I hope the marvel heads register on capcom unity and speak up, give us a shred of hope that the game wont be similar to the last few releases. :karate:

This times infinity. Think most people who bought SFIV because they were interested in mastering the game (not that there’s much to master)? SFIV sold two million based off the fact people remember doing j. RH->c. RH with Ryu during their childhood. Most consumers won’t give a fuck if they can’t FADC Ultra and do 1-frame links. Most consumers don’t give a fuck if Sagat has the capability to take away half your lifebar through on lucky mash. As long as it has Ryu, Chun-li, Ken, and shoryukens everyone will be happy with their purchase.

Using fanatiq’s rice analogy again, casuals don’t give a shit what their rice taste like because they simply lack the required taste buds. The same can’t be said about the thousands of Marvel veterans who will be buying this game if they TvC it up, because TvC rice tastes like SHIT.

Does Capcom read capcom unity? Because we need to get fanatiq’s post to them.

i agree with this, but sadly, i dont think marvel or capcom care wether people keep playing this game after they buy it as long as they buy it period

Well said fanatiq

I am all fine with keeping with tradition and everything and being faithful to the series. However it seems the general opinion of this particular topic seems to favor of making MVC3 into just another MVC2. If you want just another MVC2 so much, then why not just play MVC2.

From the facts already presented with the new characters introduced (which weren’t in MVC2), and the 3D character models (which weren’t in MVC2), and the gameplay engine the game is being the MT Framework (which WAS the same engine that TVC ran on by the way), then all points considered that this game has many things going for it that make not like MVC2.1 that some you seem to want so badly.

However MVC3 isn’t going to be any other game BUT MVC3, If you are expecting it to be just another MVC2 just retouched with new graphics and characters, then you will most likely set yourself up for disappointment.

But if SFIV could be considered to heavily emphasis on the mechanics present in Super Turbo (No air blocking, no roll recovery, etc) then perhaps MVC3 will be to MVC2, that SFIV was to Super Turbo.

As long as the game is fast, frantic, and chaotic with the intense gameplay that it’s predecessor offered, then I will be satisfied with that result. But I’m not so naive or unrealistic to expect MVC3 to just be another MVC2. There will be changes, people won’t like them, some will people will adapt. Just as there was nuances and tweaks from World Warrior to Champion Edition, the same applied from XvsSF to MSHvsSF to MVC1, and Alpha to Alpha 2, and so on. I’d expect MVC3 to be a whole new beast from MVC2 in more ways then one.

Where is the basis for this argument even coming from? Is just pure speculation?

Seth Killian himself said that they are trying to implement characters who suit Marvel’s over-the-top playing style. Or better yet, here’s a quote from Niitsuma:

“There are a lot of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 fans,and they have certain expectations of what this game [is], how it should play and what the controls should be like, and we don’t want to turn our back on those fans”

And here’s another statement from Capcom about this:

"“It’ll be definitely be faster than what you saw in TvC, and for the mechanics, we wanted to make it easier for people to get off moves easier than, say, Marvel vs. Capcom 2… We’re also looking at the possibility for some moves to be one button.” - Ryota Niitsuma, MvC3 Director [speaking with 1up.com]

Maybe they are indicating an easy mode again? But besides that it sounds to me like they know that the pace and frantic gameplay of mvc2 is what made the game great, and I haven’t heard anything from CAPCOM that sounds like they want to change it.

This has to be one of the most depressing things for any good/self-respecting/non-scrubby/intelligent marvel player.

Would you accept advice from a homeless man when building your house?

If you havent been playing marvel(2) for years and years, it’s highly doubtful that you’ll have the perspective required to give useful input.

Thats what the experts are for.

Really nice post man.

And I’d also like to give props for presenting the opinion that the majority of MVC2 players would agree upon in both a clear and concise fashion, while retaining an appreciation and respect for other games and their communities.