A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys: Big Daddy Discussion Thread

Hit Effect Quick Guide:

Butt-Drop: Opponent is forced to fall on their butt
Crumple: Opponent drops to their knee’s before entering a knockdown state
Eject Tornado: Sends the opponent spinning away from the attacker at a 45-Degree angle
Eject Spiral: Sends the opponent away from the attacker, pinwheeling through the air
Eject Roll: Opponent rolls along the ground at high speeds
Full Launch: Opponent is knocked straight up into the air
Guard Break: Blocking opponent is forced to stagger backwards, opening them up to attacks.
Kneel stagger: Opponent is forced to drop to one knee
Knockdown: Opponent is forced to lie flat on the ground for several moments
Launch; Any hit that sends the opponent into the air.
Mini-Launch Bounce: Opponent is bounced off the ground.
Mini-Launch Lift: Opponent is lifted into the air, peaking at full character height.
Sweep: Opponent is swept off their feet and slowly descents
Stagger: A prolonged hit stun
Twitch: Attack does not force opponent into hitstun
Wallbounce: Opponent is forced into a wallbounce
Freeze: Opponent is frozen in place for a brief moment
Shock: Character is held in place, just above the ground.

Big Daddy’s Movelist

1=Square
2=Triangle
3=Circle

Square attacks(1)-Jabs/super armor moves

Neutral+1-Jab
AP Gain: 10

Side+1-Overhead Palooka
AP Gain: 20
Properties: Super armor during active period
Hit Effect: Knockdown

Up+1-Uppercut
Hit Effect: Lift

Down+1-Sweeping Fist
Hit Effect: Sweep

Air Square attacks(1)

Neutral+1-Aerial Jab

Side+1-Aerial Hard Punch
AP Gain: 30
Hit Effect: Eject Spiral

Up+1-Aerial Uppercut
Hit Effect: Lift

Down+1-Aerial Down Punch
Hit Effect: Kneel(on grounded foe), Knockdown(on aerial foe)

Triangle attacks(2)-Drill Attacks

Neutral+2-Drill Punch
Hit Effect: Butt-Drop

Side+2-Charging Rush
AP Gain: Initial hit 15, followup triangle 5
Properties: Super armor; hold 2(Triangle) to run through foes. Press 2(Triangle) on hit to for a followup attack
Hit Effect: Lift, follow up hit does Hard knockdown
Note: If you hit a wall during this move, big daddy will enter a butt-drop state. Press 2(Triangle) to cancel this move.

Up+2-Drill Skewer
AP Gain: 6-30
Hit Effect: Eject tornado

Down+2-Drill Slam
Ap Gain: 5-45
Properties: Mashable, mashing increases area of effect
Hit Effect: Knockdown, Eject tornado on final hit.

Air Triangle Attacks(2)

Neutral+2-Aerial Drill Punch
Hit effects: Butt-Drop, Lift when hitting an airborne opponent

Side+2-Aerial Charging Rush
AP Gain:10(first hit), 20(second hit)
Properties: Dives down-forward; active until grounded
Hit Effect:Butt-drop(First hit), Sweep(second hit)

Up+2-Aerial Drill Skewer
AP Gain:10,20
Hit Effect: Eject Tornado

Down+2-Descending Drill Slam
AP Gain: 10-70
Properties: Mashable, mashing increases area of effect
Hit Effects: Knockdown, Eject tornado on final hit
Note: attack becomes active when grounded.

Circle Attacks(3)-Plasmids

Neutral+3-Incinerate
Hit Effects: Lift
Note: You can hold down 3(circle) to charge this move, also this move can be roll cancelled and jump cancelled.
That’s very useful for combos

Hold Neutral+3-Incinerate(Charged)
Hit Effect: Eject Tornado, Guard Crush(Grounded foe only?).

Side+3-Electro Bolt
Hit Effects: Shock/paralyzed

Up+3-Cyclone Trap
Properties: Travels up-forward. The tornado is active for two seconds
Hit Effect: Full Launch
Note: The tornado doesn’t become active till it stops moving.

Down+3-Winter Freeze
Ap Gain: 10
Properties: Ice active for 3 seconds
Hit Effects: Freeze

Air Circle Attacks(3)

Neutral+3-Air Incinerate
Properties: Hold 3(Circle) to increase duration of the move
Hit Effects: Knockdown
Note: This move when held down will make you fall slowly to the ground.

Side+3-Air Electro Shock
Properties: Fires down-Forward
Hit Effect: Shock/paralyzed

Up+3-Air Cyclone Trap
Properties: Tornado Stays Active for two seconds
Hit Effect: Full Launch

Down+3-Air Winter Blast
Properties: Ice is active for 3 seconds.
Note: ice does not become active until it reaches the ground

Supers:

Level 1- Little Sister Gather
AP Cost:
A Little Sister comes out and attacks the opponent in front of Big Daddy.

The range isn’t very good on this move, and it’s mostly a tech read super. You can “set it up” off of a electro bolt, but I don’t recommend it.

Level 2-Frenzy(or enrage?)
AP Cost:
Big Daddy turns red, giving him increased movement speed and the ability to kill with every attack (for a short amount of time). Your plasmid’s also turn into the hornet/bee plasmid as well.

Neutral+3: Big daddy unleashes a giant swarm of hornets/bee’s that surround him.
Side+3: Big daddy shoots a “beam” of hornets/bee’s in a horizontal direction. It goes pretty far.
Up+3: Big daddy shoot’s a “beam” of hornets/bee’s in a vertical direction.
Down+3: Big daddy shoot’s a “beam” of hornets/bee’s in a vertical direction downwards if you are jumping, if you just stand there it does nothing?

Level 3: Flood
AP Cost:
Big daddy flood’s the stage and you are free to move around at super fast speeds, the other players are slowed down by the water. Also quotes from Andrew ryan play during this super.

Combos

Combo Notation
N1=Neutral+1
S1=Side+1
D1=Down+1
U1=UP+1

N2=Neutral+2
S2=Side+2
D2=Down+2
U2=Up+2

N3=Neutral+3
S3=Side+3
D3=Down+3
U3=Up+3

As for air moves, I’m just gonna throw a “A.” before the move.

Combos

Combo1:
N2,D1,U1,N2
AP Gain 80

Combo 2:
A.D1, land, A.S2, S3, N3(jump cancel), A.S3, land, A.N1, A.U2
AP Gain: 140

There are more combo’s in Mienaikage’s video here.
[media=youtube]SxsaPMdJUKE[/media]

He also has a set up’s for Big Daddy’s level1
[media=youtube]sVHUQ_HlV0o[/media]

More big daddy tech
[media=youtube]DbnuC4-Lc-w[/media]

Now if you want me to add or change anything, let’s me know. Also I apologize if this seems pretty crappy. This was my first time making one of these, so I’m open for suggestions on improving.

Also yes, I did “borrow” this title from the thread at allstararena.com

http://allstararena.com/threads/a-man-chooses-a-slave-obeys-big-daddy-discussion-thread.24/

Reserved if I ever need more room.

In Mienaikage’s Level 1 setups video, is the second part a true combo? Looks like nj.Tri land up+O, Level 1?

Big Daddy is a lot of fun. Until watching some of these combo videos and setups I thought he was really ass for 1v1 but he’s starting to get there. I will make him work. For 2v2s he seems really good, especially if your partner can cluster the opponents for a two-fer with Level 1 or 2 (and more time to try and snag more kills with Level 2).

Well I avoided him for a while but seeing as the creator of Bioshock went to my Alma Mater (and lived in the same dorm), I feel I was destined to rep Big Daddy. I think he’s really up my alley because he has crazy super armor, easy and above all QUICK combos (one always gets interrupted in FFA), and most importantly a really strong oki game with his range of meaties and hard knockdowns.

His oki game seems very straight forward, but I am going to see if I can come up with anything interesting tomorrow, or at least post all the usual options so people can see them for quick reference.

I like S1 to try and smack them when they get up. But tech chasing a grab or down D2 can work as well.

This is not a true combo I was wrong.

j.D1 (you can do it instantly to approach with a hop) has armor like all non-neutral-1 moves and goes into the j.D1 j.S22 S3 3 jc combo in the video above. It was wrecking in 2v2 along with j.S22, j.S3 and j.D2. My teammate abused (j.)D2 and I would run in with Hei level 1. Strong team, we ended up fighting it in a mirror match online lol. Level 2 BD super is great, using plasmids smart you can kill a 2-man team twice in the timer.

Things I’ve learned:

1. Abuse U1 in teamfights. It can plow through attacks and leaves them close so that your teammate can get some AP in.
    -1.1 Abuse N2 all the time. Comboable and reasonably quick for its good range and butt-drops.
    -1.2 Teammate got somebody cornered or in hitstun? Air Drillslam those fools. Free 70 AP.

2. If you are jumping and not hitting someone you should be dropping some ice or you are doing it wrong.
    -2.1 Always use J.D2 instead of D2. You would be insane not to.

3. You can land 140 AP combos, but when it isn’t 1v1 on perfectly level ground it’s best to just stick with ~80 since any interference whatsoever (even teammates trying to walk by!) is apparently enough to ruin a Big Daddy combo and leave you with 50AP or less and in a position to be punished. Get your hits and end the combo with U2 the moment an opponent comes near you, or with U1 if it’s a teammate that comes near you.

4. Just stick with the level 2 super and use those bees. Level 1 sucks, Level 3 is awesome (“I HOPE YOU BROUGHT YO FLOATIES CAUSE BIG DADDY GONNA TAKE YOU FO’ SWIMMIES IN THE OCEAN, BRO”), but it’s really more practical in timed matches (or if you have the lives advantage in stock matches) to just go with level 2, walk over to somebody and then release a swarm they can’t dodge away from. The dash is way too easy to dodge, stick with N.1, N.2 and the bees (specifically the neutral ones!) for the kills. Only use the dash if someone is busy keeping them in hitstun.
    -4.1 Side bees: if enemy dodged toward you, N1, N2 or neutral bees. If enemy jumped, J.N2, J.U2 or neutral bees. If enemy dodged away, they probably are going to end up rolling into the bees anyway, taunt them.
    -4.2 Neutral bees for air-to-air engagements. Even if they dodge they will end up hit by it anyway if you are close enough to them.
    -4.3 Neutral bees in corners. If they jump, J.N2, J.U2 or neutral bees. Jumping is really their only option for escape, so practice chasing them into the air.

5. The recovery on S3 is a lot faster than it seems. J.S3 isn’t really a better option.

I need to use his N2 more, I never use it lol. It’s safe on block right? That’s why I never used it because I was scared that it’s unsafe on block.

I agree with you on the ice, it’s too good to not have one out there at all times. But I also think its good to toss out a tornado(U3) when the opponent is in the air. It lasts long enough that most people run into it or fall into it because they dumb.

Also is there any difference between the air version of ice and the ground version? Aside from the fact that the ground one takes longer, which makes me wonder why they’d make the ground one so poopy.

Don’t think so, just one leaves you with zero mobility and totally defenseless. Air one is more likely to get destroyed before it can hit anybody, but that’s about it.

N2 is not safe on block. I play 2v2 mostly, so it’s not much of a problem there.

ah, well that’s rather unfortunate.

Also I wish I could set the cpu to do something like in other fighters. I’d love to test what is safe on block and how many hits(and what) the super armor on big daddys moves can absorb. I know drakes barrel knocks me out of the charge, feels bad. Just wish I could charge through drake’s bs and f him up lol.

Updated post with Mienaikage’s new video.

Personally I feel it would be helpful if you could add the notation for the practical combos (from Mienaikage’s videos) to the combo section of the OP. It’s more a convenience thing and you may as well since there’s a section for it.

EDIT: ap costs for supers should be updated too
EDIT2: with the opponent against a hard wall:
~ D1 U1 U1 jump a.N1 U2
~ a.D1 N2 D1 U1 U1 jump N1
~ N2 D1 U1 U1 jump N1 U2
all three give you an ap burst but the last two are basically the first one with different starters.

grab combo: Down grab N1 U2