720s FTW! (T-Hawk thread)

Uh no. S.rh from Gief cleanly beat T. Hawks dive and jump ins in Vanilla ST.

I dunno man, 0.Hawk in ST was mid, and he still didn’t have a safe Hawk Dive, Super, or reliable walk up Typhoon. R. Hawk has the tools he needs to win, although he still does get ransacked by some characters.

I have some questions about DeeJay and Dictator, although I knew it seems SRK is pressed for Hawk users.

Against Dictator: Rapid Jabbing is great for stopping scizzors kick when your in ranges where that move is a threat, however it doesn’t consistantly stop fierce or strong Psycho Crushers. Im sure this is old news to some ST players, but I went into training over a friends and set jabbing to turbo and it will randomly get beaten out by strong and fierce PS’s…strongs actually beat it even more often! If there is any way to consistently option out both moves or at least a better way Id like to hear it.

Dee Jay is a really hard match in general, patience on the ground doesn’t pay off as much because of how awesome Dee Jay’s normals are (convincing the Dee Jay player to stay still for a walk up Typhoon is a hard sell), and up kicks own the living shit out of Hawk Dive. Anyone have their own opinions on this matchup?

a lot of people dont know this but hawk dive was safe vs virtually everything except sim and rog off the top of my head. anyone can punish a really high one but thats why you dont do really high ones. o hawk is much better than regular hawk. by the time you have super, you dont need it and all his better normals make up for it. reliable walk up 360? japs do it ALL the time.

dont stop scissor kicks. free 360 unless their spacing is PERFECT which 99.9% of the time it isnt. this = win. one 360 vs bison and match is over. walk up jab 360 x N. dont bother stopping pyscho crusher. not even worth it. sometimes you can 360 after but since they changed shit, it gets harder. in vanilla st you could do it more reliably. either way, block and hit st.hk. sometimes it hits, sometimes it doesnt. if he jumps, it knocks him back.

dont underestimate hawks normals. st.mk is really good. same with st.hk and cr.hk. in fact, all of hawks normals except jump strong have a use and are solid. you can trade hits with cr.hk on a lot of things and if all else fails walk up psychic dp is amazing. i promise. biggest thing of all LEARN. TO. SAFE JUMP. with this, bait upkicks, wait to land, and 360.

Great,so I have to react to one move with a 6 input throw before he throws me and only randomly get reward for blocking the other move. Sigh, I hate ST sometimes.

That brings me to another thing. I have safe jumped and otherwise baited upkicks many times only to find that the Dee Jay did a single upkick, got behind me and did some random ass shenanigan which he totally didn’t deserve, I can see some Dee Jay’s not even intending this because they probably piano reversaled and their panicky ass happened to get a single, and well it seems really hard to punish that with a Typhoon especially when you factor in that they will occassionally reversal with 2 hit and 3 hit upkicks. I dunno things like that make ST in general seem somewhat random.

I really enjoy R.Hawk however losing the ability to do SUPER by ending in d/b is irritating. I’m used to do start d/b ~ 720 ~ end in d/b + release strong and fierce.

YOU GOTTA LOVE O.HAWK’S CR. JAB!!! It’s so freaking awesome compared to N.Hawk’s.

Remix Hawk:
Has same hitbox as N.Hawk.
All normals are from O.Hawk.

Unpractical combos

• Crouching Chun Li
    Cross-up j.roundhouse, st.short (opposite way), st.forward xx Fierce Rising Hawk.
    Cross-up j.roundhouse, st.forward (opposite way), cr.jab, cr.jab, st.jab xx Jab Rising Hawk

• Crouching Blanka
    Cross-up j.fierce, cr.fierce (opposite way), cr.jab, cr.jab, st.jab xx Jab Rising Hawk
    Cross-up j.fierce, st.fierce (opposite way) (2nd hit), cr.jab, cr.jab, st.jab xx Jab Rising Hawk
    Cross-up j.fierce, st.forward (opposite way), cr.jab, cr.jab, st.jab xx Jab Rising Hawk
    Cross-up j.strong, st.short (opposite way), cr.jab, cr.jab, st.jab xx Jab Rising Hawk
    Cross-up j.strong, st.short (opposite way), st.forward xx Fierce Rising Hawk

• Crouching E.Honda
    Cross-up j.fierce, st.forward (opposite way), cr.jab, cr.jab, st.jab xx Jab Rising Hawk
    Cross-up j.strong, st.short (opposite way), cr.jab, cr.jab, st.jab xx Jab Rising Hawk

@Gridman
Yeah I feel you. I’ve been down with Hawk since forever. However R.Hawk got better versus characters he was decent against, but worse against his nemesis’.
Honda, Guile, Cammy and Blanka is laughing at me when they reverse my Typhoon attempts. If only he could do his SUPER from crouching position ;~

Regarding R.Hawk’s and O.Hawk’s Cr. Strong

I don’t get the part when people say Hawk’s cr. strong has been fixed. O.Hawk’s cr. strong never had a stray hitbox, thanks to the “Display Hitbox” feature there’s now even more proof. R.Hawk inherited O.Hawk’s moves, so his cr. strong obviously doesn’t have a stray hitbox.

i did it off of a high hitting fierce AA dp.

If you basically hit right on top of the head like a Bison stomp, st. rh would not cover that area.

what are some strats against cammy? she corners me with her strings and when i try to reversal 360 i get cannon spiked

uhh, its a lot easier than you think… buffer the throw the second you start blocking. im telling you, its easy. and even if you dont reversal it, im pretty sure you can still 360 him before he throws you. pc, deal with it. you can jump back jab since that has the best hit box on anymove ive ever seen haha. blocking a pc or two isnt bad considering one knockdown/360 is gg.

[/quote]

if that happens (or against any charge character like guile or chun) i like to bait it, hit them with f/b. jab ( that normal thats AWESOME ) which makes them bounce back and then jump jab immediately after cr.jab x 360. they wont have a charge again 99% of the time making it impossible for them to get out.

:frowning:

I also have questions about this fight. The only thing I can figure out so far is that she doesn’t have a safe up close cannon drill on Hawk b/c you can 360 her if she ever does it to you. My big problem is cannon spike…how do you punish that move on block. She flies pretty far from you after you block it and I haven’t tested a way to do anything about it yet.

Still being able to negative edge the super and not get a whiff = extreme hotness. :bgrin:

We should start figuring out what normals beat important specials or normals that other chars have. I’ve been fucking around a little bit but i’ll start trying to keep track.

Just checked it out dude, R.Hawk and O.Hawk do have the same far st.short. I don’t really get if you’re kidding, since I don’t remember anything magical about O.Hawk’s far st.short in the first place. Solid poke but nothing noteworthy, misses crouching Blanka.

Regarding SUPER

I’m accustomed to d/b cr.jab then b, u/b, u, u/f, f, d/f, d, d/b, jab press and hold fierce~strong, b, u/b, u, u/f, f, d/f, d, d/b + release fierce~strong. 2 x cr. jab into SUPER with R.Hawk would’ve been awesome, especially since his jab is INSANE.

Opponent down in corner, walk-up and cr.jab.cr.jab safe SUPER attempt, pure hotness… gone.

jump jab or crouch jab beats like everything. no joke. vega ever jumps or wall dives at you, jump back jab. it doesnt beat d, u+p wall dive though cause that thing has a retarded hit box.

down strong / rh beats dash punches.

cr. rh trades with guiles cr.mk/cr.hk.

c.lp stuffs like… all of Boxer’s rush punches O_O

in for this thread.

i never played thawk in vanilla ST but he is a lot of fun in HDR.

normals i like:

st strong (far): this thing beats out bison scissor kicks and cammy cannon drills. i also like to randomly do it against shotos when i am in just outside sweep range to stuff any fireball attempts

cr mk: i like this as i feel it is a really fast poke for the range it can cover

jump straight up hk or hp: horizontal range and damage on these “pokes” are insane too. super long hit box … can be used as a AA as well.

and of course, jump jab. lols. too good!

From what I’ve tested, it’s possible to do the super as a HCB, HCB, then back motion w/ a button release.

You won’t be blocking low, but since when do reversal attacks hit low?

what does thawk have in terms of anti airs other than DP?

close strong, jump back jab, situational b.jab, preemptive st.rh, jump straight up rh.

jump back jab and dp are all you ever need. promise.