4:3 Support in PS360 Fighting Games

I’m compiling a list of PS3 and 360 games that support 4:3 aspect ratios, if you know of any game that’s not listed please post in this thread and I’ll add it to the list. Thank you.

Red = 16:9 only
Green = 4:3 support
Gold = Might have 4:3 support (unknown)

Xbox 360
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
Dead or Alive 4
Darkstalkers Resurrection
Marvel VS Capcom: Origins
Marvel VS Capcom 2 (The menus are 16:9, but the actual game itself is 4:3.)
SoulCalibur (Minimal borders)
Street Fighter II’ HF
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition
Street Fighter IV
Yie-Ar Kung Fu (Minimal borders)
Marvel VS Capcom 3
Battle Fantasia (There appears to be a “Display Setting” option in “Options”, but it’s greyed out so I assume that’s only for HD.)
GGXXACP
Fighting Vipers
Skullgirls
Virtua Fighter 2
Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution
Phantom Breaker
Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast
Ōgon Musōkyoku

PS3
Darkstalkers Resurrection
Marvel VS Capcom: Origins
Marvel VS Capcom 2 (The menus are 16:9, but the actual game itself is 4:3.)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition
Street Fighter IV
CHAOS CODE
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R
Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2
Marvel VS Capcom 3
Fighting Vipers
Skullgirls
Virtua Fighter 2
Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution
Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast
Phantom Breaker

No responses as of yet so, I’ll post my own research.
-edit-

Putting information in the OP instead.

I know Marvel 3 does letterboxing as well.

I’ll update the OP instead, and I’ll add that to the list. Thanks!

Tested some more games and added them to the list.

Why is this list useful?

The screens in MvC2 XBLA/PSN are messed up: the textures don’t map properly to either 4:3 or 16:9 so you’ll see weird artifacts on stages: typically you can just go left on the stage to see where things break down. :sad:

I own a Sony PVM, so it’s nice to know which games support this so I can play on it without the screen being too small. I have a HD CRT as well, but the PVM’s quality is gdlk by comparison. It’s also useful for anyone who generally wants to know since it’s easier to get a 4:3 component CRT at goodwill or garage sales than it is to get a decent gaming LCD. CRTs being nice with the input lag and such and lack of ghosting and general picture quality.

In unlikely scenarios, P360 arcade cabinets that want to use a arcade crt monitor that’s 4:3.

I use a VGA monitor as well, and I wish more games supported 4:3 properly. I can understand not putting it in new games, but I get furious when I play a port/emulation of a game that’s natively 4:3, but the devs were so lazy that it gets both letter boxed and window boxed on 4:3 screens.

Super SF2 HDR is 4:3 and I would imagine SF3TS and Marvel Origins is as well.
SF2HF obvoiously is 4:3, but it’s such a lousy port that nobody should even bother with it.

All the Capcom remakes (MvC2, MvC: Origins, Darkstalkers Resurrection, 3SOE) do 4:3 on both systems.

I guess they have more sense than Sega.
VF2 isn’t full screen on 4:3 monitors.
I almost bought it too, but as soon as I saw the botched full-screen support, I decided against it.

Yie-Ar Kung Fu has just a small border on 4:3 monitors, which is okay by me. Konami gets my money this time.

We used to play the PS3 version of VSav on CRTs.

Also, for the emulated PS Classic stuff, Rival Schools and CvS2 also run in 4:3, but that’s to be expected since they’re emulated.

Hi dude, good question!

This subject is almost a softcore Tech Talk topic so I’m sure that’s partially why it was never addressed it here. The other reason is that I don’t think this info has ever actually been compiled anywhere before.

I saw this thread when you first made it, got curious too, did a bunch of testing myself, and never got around to writing up the results!

I’ll post what I have piece-by-piece.

^ Thanks!

Added suggestions posted so far and from my own testing I found that Phantom Breaker, DBZ Burst Limit, Ōgon Musōkyoku, do not support 4:3.
However! I found that Dead or Alive 4 and Soul Calibur (with slight bordering) do support 4:3.

I notice that any of the recent SEGA ports do not, even if the game is natively 4:3.

The disc version of Virtua Fighter 5 works just fine. I’m not sure about the newer version.

Street Fighter III:3rd Strike does not display full screen on 4:3 monitors.
Bah! I should have downloaded the trial before wasting $4.

Shouldn’t there be an option to make it do so?

The other IG ports have it.

It always displayed in 4:3 for me. Do you have the screen set to normal mode in the settings?

Yes. It’s letterboxed no matter what setting is selected. Normal just adds bars on either side.

CPS3 rendered games at 384x224, which isn’t a 4:3 resolution. This is why its looks letter boxed on CRTs.

This is just straight up 16:9.
CPS2 games are the same resolution as CPS3, but they display in 4:3 as they were always intended.

Darkstalkers Resurrection does not support 4:3 on XBOX360 using the VGA cable.
How did you test that one? Composite video?
Maybe these games are coded not to support 4:3 in HD, regardless of resolution.
I’m going to connect my console to an old tube TV and report back.