What's your best Yama Combos / setups?

WTF!!! :confused:

first quick question, low jab2x dust, slash works right? but not low short2x dush slash, cuz low short doesnā€™t chain right?

iā€™m somewhat new to yama, but im making him a permanent part of my team. one of the things im really lacking is making use of the command grab super. the only thing im getting from this thread is low jump short super, or roll super. at what range would the throw connect?

i play C or N groove yama. probably more C though because i like the meter.Does running and short jump add a lot to his game?

my yama is kinda predictable, standing jabs and kick dust when im not doing anything. standing strong for anti air, for some reason crouching fierce never works for me.

of course the standing rh, standing forward. and stand fierce are my pokes, as well as his wicked sweep. i think yama is pretty good when opponent is waking up, a simple sweep/axe kick is annoying. i like to guard damage with standing fierce into fierce knife or fierce slash then start roundhousing, slashing, or rolling, so alot of times iā€™ll start low shorts but instead of dusting into slash iā€™ll just stand fierce into special. well thats all i know how to do with yama, very predictable.

OPPPSā€¦did i say thatā€¦:lol: :confused: :lol:

I have to ask this because Iā€™m never going to work it out myself. How do these B&B combo? When Iā€™ve tried to do them there always seems to much lag after the dust kick to get a combo. Whats the trick?

l.jabx2, dust kick, serpent slash.
s.fierce, dust kick, serpent slash.

You are probably just waiting too long to do the serpent slashā€¦ cnacel out of the dust kick rite after you input itā€™s commandā€¦

j. short, (any kind of grab) is good:D

I am so retarded, I still canā€™t get this to combo. Is it lk dust kick or rk dustkick or does it not matter? Am I aiming to finish the input for hp serpent slash as soon as the dust kick animation finishes?

On a side note, doesnā€™t the knife (dp+hp) also combo if you want variation?

A good mix-up is using sweep with HK just to fool them instead of kikc dust combos,RS,or hp into slashā€¦It works niceā€¦

-B.:cool:

i donā€™t think the knife combos from dust kick, but it sure combos from standing fierce (both close and far too, not too far tho i think). and it does more damage than cr.LP, cr.LK, dust kick, HP slash also. not sure if it does more than st.HP, dust kick, HP slash though. i would think it does because otherwise there really arenā€™t much use for the knife move?

as for jumping HP and jumping HKā€¦ i donā€™t find the jump HP too useful, i mean itā€™s real good as an air to air but how often do you have to air to air with yama? not often for meā€¦ but then i donā€™t use yama often either so i wouldnā€™t know i guessā€¦

jumping HK is actually usefulā€¦ the angle really sucks but it has mad priority actuallyā€¦ other ppl have mentioned all the goodness of itā€¦ and i generally use jump HK when i do a close jump in, itā€™s way better than MK or LK if you angle it right. and since yama jumps so low (even for regular jumps, not low jumps), if you do a close jump in HK when opponent is down (since yama doesnā€™t have a crossup anyway), itā€™s pretty hard to counter (have to time it good even for shoryukens), so they either eat it or block itā€¦ and either way gives you some options.

Jumping HP is a great move for Yamazaki vs. not-C groove. Itā€™s a good anti-air to use if you think the opponent is anticipating some form of ground anti-air (think P Groove), especially if you do it in a lowjump. And you can even use it on C-Groove to a certain extent. After they airblock it, you can run up and go for a throw mixup.

Just recently Yama became my favorite character next to Athenaā€¦some things i love about Yama C-Grooveā€¦

• j.MK
  • j.HK -> lv.2 guillotine xx lv.1 guillotine (OUCH!)
  • quick slash to start a round

I am having trouble with the Drill during combos is there a simpler way to do this move?

well first of all, the Drill cannot be ā€œcomboedā€ā€¦ u can tick into itā€¦ my favorite is j. short, Drillā€¦ if u are talking about the guillotine, the best way to combo into that is c. FK IMO. it would be the same as combing into a shinkuu hadouken from c. FK with Ryu.

I agree w/ the stuff about J. HPā€™s air priority. J. MK is good air-to-air, and I use it as a jump in from long rang (occasionally w/ a shadow jump) to combo to Sand Scatter/Serpent Slash combos. Up close you can use J. HP as a jump-in, but J. HK is usually better. I use Yamazaki in N-Groove for the added mobility, and break stocks to psych out opponents. When I have a super ready w/ broken stocks, inexperienced to intermediately skilled players freeze up, and it sometimes gets better opponents off of their game as well. Theyā€™re usually afraid to jump fof fear of Guillotine, and up close thereā€™s the grab Super (the one w/ the Drill at the end). At this point I just combo w/ the broken stock if they donā€™t run away, or S. HK them out of the pokes they do to avoid Drill. Iā€™m not the greatest w/ Yamazaki, but thatā€™s a little bit of the strategy that I use.

Iam new to yama also, but he is to fun and really good. I like the over head kick (not sure of the name) i cancel it from the headbutt. I the corner you can counter if you are facing corner hit them, the will land on there feet good setups. Killing with the knife from block damg is to funny to. O yeah i play P by the way. Sitting on super messes with ppl the become afraid to move.

DERFFRED

I think P Yama is more effective than K Yama if you have mad parry skillz. unfortunately i do not have mad parry skillz, so i play K Groove Yama. the extra damage is really helpful when u are in rageā€¦ Yama can dish out some major damage in rage withā€¦ c. FK, RK dust kick, FP serpent slash or s. FP, FP Shank Move:D ā€¦ and j. SK, Drill is too goodā€¦ and s. SK, Guillotine if ur opponents think theyā€™re smart:D

im good at counter strike.

Anybody here got any interesting Yama custom combos? I saw some vids from Tougeki that happened to be qualifying matches for SBO and bas took on someone who used A groove hibiki, bison, and yamazaki. His ground custom for yamazaki was pretty damn amusing, a couple hits and knives in between but he always fucked it up in the middle so I never got the chance to see what he would end it with. Any ideas?

cornerā€¦ activate, s. FP x 3, c. RK, s. RK x 3, c. FP, c. JP (whiff), j. FP x3, j. FP x 3, guillotine

midscreenā€¦ activate, c. RK, c. FP, roll, c. FP, roll, c. FP, roll, c. FP, c. JP (whiff), [j. FP x 3]xN, guillotine

and we all kno him throw custom against rolento/dan :smiley:

Can someone offer some jump in combos for Yama? I found little options for him in this part, especially a jumpin from MK. Thanks.

Yama isnā€™t really the best jumperā€¦ heā€™s more of a ground guy, but he can combo into his BNB combos from a j. FK (forward kick not Fierce kick:confused: since there is no such thing as fierce kick), but the thing is you have to be pretty close to your opponentā€¦ ie. j. FK, c. FK, dust, slash or j. FK, s. FP, FP Knifeā€¦ be careful tho cuz if you are too far away the dust and the knife may whiff