What will the next generation do to the fighting scene?

Honestly, I see the next market for sprite-based games coming to PC.

Reasons

1. Less interference from Microsoft/Sony
  2. Production costs are getting excessive- sprite games are cheaper to make.
  3. Doujin games are getting better- Melty Blood is actually decent.

Just wait for a KOF/SF-type doujin game to come out. That will cause a stir. I don’t think any console fighter will be a big deal- Tekken 6 would be best shot, but Tekken is starting to show its age as a series. VF5 won’t be big in the US.

???

fighting games wont die theyve only been shitty recently because basically xbox,ps2,gc are all shitty when it comes to realizing real imagination

the next consoles are kind of powerful so i dont see any worries about fighting games, things that people could only dream up can actually be made, i dont see the point of crying when theres nothing to cry about

2d fighting games basically is just a fixed view, what the fuck is the diffrence seriously? people still watch anime/cartoons, people who complain about 2d fighters have this in there head “argh he might win… ooo look at the pretty lights…OOOOHH did u see that plane” when the fighting mechanics are what theyre ment to be liking it for

look at guilty gear, alot of people like its sprites but shit man it could be a whole whole lot better, and with better consoles it will be, close ups wont be all shitty etc stop worrying

use your damn imagination lol

[edit- reply to the guy above: a fighting game is basically a fight in a story thats thrown everything else out of the window, now if there was say an online soul calibur RPG (which they actually said theyre looking into) who wudnt wanna play it? seriously what play FF11 and watch ur character fight or actually be the one thats actually playing, actually feel like uv accomplished something instead of playing days on end effortlessly lvling up to watch ur character fight in an 1930’s movie fashion, i think… actually i know the future of fighting games can only get better dont u agree?]

I think its more like this: Capcom/SNK/2-d fighting game companies will just release “Anniversary Editions” or “Gold Editions” of old 2D games (SFII, Alpha series, MvC series, CvS series, all SNK games) onto the PS3 like they did with SFAC. They’ll tweak them a little bit, and then throw it to the small market.

no they wont because Sony and MS won’t let them…not on the PS3 and 360

I don’t think much will be done except for an overhaul in graphics. It’s sad too. The hardware on these new systems is capable of so much and yet fighters still might get the short end of the stick. I mean come on. The blu-ray disc the PS3 is using can hold around 10 times the data a regular DVD can. A double layer can hold around 20. I don’t even know the rest of the specs for either system off the top of my head, but that storage alone should be enough to make a fucking prolific fighting game.

The scene will get smaller and smaller.

DOAU was the biggest chance of creating a real “console” scene through XBox Live. While the game is popular on Live, thats still not enough. Live will certainly grow next gen, oh yes. But it wont be enough to create a new “scene” for fighting games.

DOA4s announced Live features (the complex “group” system, Live interaction, buying and selling avatars, houses and things like that) are certainly amazing, though.

Its confirmed. The PS2 version is being shown this week at TGS. Weve seen the logo (in the “We Are the KOF Generation” puzzle that will be given at the event) and everything. The XBox360 version (which may not be called “KOF:MI2” and is most likely an upgrade of the game) is also confirmed for a while now.

While i love the way the Hokuto no Ken game is going, thats still 640x480 (too low res) and it still animates like crap (just like Guilty Gear).

Next gen would require much better. The good news is: Microsoft is fine with 2D on the XBox 360. Treasure confirmed theyll release a 2D game on the console.

I can only assume itll be a really high res 2D game… But… Good news, still.

I definetly see what you mean, but TRF is still 2D (2D sprites over 3D grids), so its not really a good example…

Frankly, if they make KOFMI2 play just like the 2D games, theyll have a winner. The game looks close enough to the 2D versions. Just make the gameplay similar and youre set.

Thats bullshit. Every developer (Kojima, Treasure, From Software, Q Entertainment, Sakaguchi…) that received both dev kits has said that the difference is negligible.

An apt comparison would be saying the difference from PS3 to XBox360 is like the difference between XBox and Game Cube. Both are close enough to the point that it doesnt really matter. Its not noticeable like the XBox and PS2.

The main issue next gen is the fact that games made on PS3 not only are the hardest to program, but also they cannot be “simply” ported to other consoles (watch or read Gabe Newells interview for 1up). Sony made the PS3 so developers are basically forced to make the games exclusive. Obviously, big companies with big games (Sega with Sonic, Capcom with Resident Evil 5) have the resources to handle with that. But smaller companies will be forced into choosing.

That will also happen with the Revolution controller, which Nintendo and Iwata have said will be too “unique” to simply accept ports from other consoles.

Frankly, right now the PSP is the best option for 2D (considering very few companies will actually bother upping the resolution to match the Sony and Microsoft next-gen requirements). Nice wide screen, online head-to-head play and the resolution which fits low-res 2D games just fine.

Another option is having low-res 2D fighting games available on Live Arcade (for $5,00 bucks or so).

Oh…

To the guy whining about the XBox having better graphics…

Boo-fucking-hoo.

Now that is a dumb-ass post.

In every way.

Tell me youre not serious. You cant be that blind.

First… War of the Grail is not a fighter. And second…

**How many of those are next gen? **

DOA4, Tekken 6, VF5, KOF:MI2, MK7, SSBR.

Now how many of those are next gen and aimed at the “scene”?

Tekken 6, VF5, SSBR.

Now how many have an scene in the US too?

Tekken 6 and the non-fighting scene from SSBR.

THERES THE ANSWER.

saying that snk-p’s games aren’t aimed at “the scene” is kind of silly, dontcha think?

at the very least war of the grail’s card system is trying to buy into the whole “arcade culture investment” thing. yeah, it probably won’t find an audience over here, yeah, it’s a shallow build of sengoku basara that the Vs. series team probably could far outstrip if they were still doing actual fighting games. no, people who visit this site probably don’t care about it because capcom is dead to them as far as new material is concerned. does that mean the game will be a shallow experience? not necessarily.

next gen or no next gen, kof xi, ngbc, hokuto no ken et al, still going to be good fighting games. yes, we all know that the next gen systems will far overshadow them and we’ll be stuck in our dingy ass houses playing them online or trying to put together tourneys that people will go to and bitch unnecessarily ( :cough: baltichun ). and just because a game is 2d doesn’t mean the next generation won’t support it, just look at sony’s support of Nippon Ichi / NIS and X360’s push for G.Rev’s titles. bottom line, you put your money where your mouth is, if the games sell then they’ll make more, no matter which gen we’re in.

we’re already relics

i think we should get into this thing called texas hold 'em before we’re left in the dust. i heard a lot of people play it

SRK forums does not condone the placement of fiat currency in one’s mouth, as it is covered with germs and could lead to harmful sickness.

The more you know.

can u consider Smackdown a fighting game ?

If the upcoming fighter is on next gen or not shouldnt make much of a difference, since the game will have people who play it regardless.

SC3 will have a scene for 3 years AT LEAST. People are starting to have “goodbye SC2” tourneys for cryin out loud.

Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. SC3 is going to rock. That’s all we know. Whether it will bring upon tournaments or revitalize the fighting scene is something we would have to wait to see.

What are you basing this on? Hopefully not SC2, who’s scene began to float and sputter not even a year and a half after it’s arcade release…

Where?

There are plenty of kickoff SC3 tournaments going about, but I haven’t see any mention of SC2 tournaments at the tournament boards at SC.com for quite some time.

Seriously, do you just make this stuff up as you go?

-Kimo