What do all of the acronyms I read in the forums mean

I see acronyms like df F.j.lk. Is there a thread that tells me all of these short hand meanings?

Read them stickies…

There are a million stickies, that doesn’t really help. But thanks for the link. The acronyms seem like they over complicate things. Simpler is better, but that is what you all are used to i guess.

it doesnt over complicate things for people who have to type the same thing over and over.

What would you rather see?
Cr. lk x 3 xx l. sk
or…
Crouching light kick, crouching light kick, crouching light kick cancel into light scissors kick.
They both say the same thing, but one takes up substantially less room than the other. That’s an extremely simple combo too. Don’t get me started on the complicated combos with a lot of different moves.

Well if I had to choose. I would define Up down left right as U, D, L, R respectivley. And for light, medium, fierce, punch/kick: lp, mp, hp, lk, mk, hk. So in your example, it would be D. lk x3 I guess. And Cr. isn’t even in the list of acronyms in the link, or if it is it’s hidden somewhere in some obscure page number. I’ll try to come to understand these notations.

You’ll learn there’s 15 different ways to express the same thing and you kinda just have to figure out what people are talking about.

QCF is also 236. Heavy Punch is also Hard Punch which is also Fierce Punch. FADC usually refers to cancelling a move into focus attack and dash cancelling before the focus comes out, but some people refer to having the opponent block a focus attack and dash cancelling for frame advantage as an FADC. Forward could refer to moving forward or could refer to Medium Kick. Generally xx means cancel, but some people use commas or arrows. Anyway there are hundreds of examples like this. If you don’t know what something means, just ask though.

LR don’t work for left and right because inputs change depending on what side.

Up
Down
Forward
Backwards
Quarter Circle Forwards
Quarter Circle Backwards

etc…
Some people also use numerical notation for directions…

236 is qcf is :qcf: as an example.

Some people use ‘c’ for crouch instead of ‘d’ for down.
Some people use ‘j’ for jump instead of ‘u’ for up.
Some people use lp/mp/hp as light, medium, heavy/hard punch, others use jp/sp/fp for jab, strong, and fierce punch.
Some people (tekken) use 1234 as the attacks, others use LP, RP, LK, RK
Some people use ABCD for KoF, others use LP, HP, LK, HK…

The point of this post?
Even veterans might have a hard time reading some notations. Try to approach it with an open mind and logically decipher what each means. If you can’t figure it out after actually trying to figure it out, then ask. But if you don’t at least try to figure it out, you’ll be stuck every time somebody posts something slightly off key.

Here’s my favorite example…

Sentinel in MvC2’s basic FFLY combo… 4 different notations…

s.rh, sj.lk, ffly, lk, lk, RP.
s.hk, sj.lk, qcb+kk, N, u+lk, lk, dp+p
launch, sj.lk, fly, N, u+lk, lk, dprp
rh xx sj, L, fly, N, u+L, L, dprp

All four say the same thing.

j. is preferred for jump instead of up because there are cases where you will be doing jumping normals even though you aren’t pressing up anymore.

Also, there are cases where you will be pressing down even though you aren’t crouching.

If you think working out notations is difficult, you’re gonna have fun with frame data.

In general right and left aren’t used because as mentioned inputs are mirrored, so saying F. HP is the same as R. HP would only make sense from the left hand side.

The general notations for street fighter correspond with the availability of moves that characters have, not necessarily the input for those moves.

For example, every character in SF usually has (exceptions in how the moves work and their properties vary by character of course):

Close Standing Normals (Cl. lp, mp, hp etc), performed when your character is very close to the opponent, usually moves that may have unique properties when performed at this range

Far Standing Normals (Fs. lp, mp, hp, etc), performed when your character is usually slightly outside of throw range of the opponent, usually moves have longer range when used at this range

Crouching Normals (Cr. lp, mp, hp, etc), performed whenever your character is crouching, this may not necessarily necessitate only a d + button input, but just that your character is currently crouching for whatever reasons, such as db + button or df + button.

Forward Jumping Normals (Fj. lp, mp, hp, etc), performed whenever your character jumps forward, these moves typically have hitboxes angled downwards for jumping in towards opponents, these are usually performed with the uf + button input, but anything that causes you to jump forward and input commands can theoretically be used to perform these normals. For most characters, their forward jumping normals and backwards jumping normals are the same.

Neutral Jumping Normals (Nj. lp, mp, hp, etc), performed whenever your character jumps straight up, these moves typically have more vertical or forward angled hitboxes designed to anti air or hit people as you drop in front of them. Typically these are performed with U + button inputs.

Command Normals (F + HP, DF + MK, etc), these are performed by executing a directional input along with a button, and it’s where it can become confusing if we use directional inputs to refer to our basic normals above. For instance, Ryu’s cr.MK will come out if he presses forward to walk forward and then rolls the stick to the DF position and presses MK before it reaches the D position, because for his intents and purposes, DF already initiates a crouching action (analogous to DB) and therefore cr.MK can be executed. For Rufus however, DF + MK is his command normal for his roll kick, doing so will not cause his cr.MK to come out but instead his roll kick command normal. Similarly, some characters have UF Command Normals, which are input together into a jumping command normal, while pressing UF to jump first and then a button would instead give you the fj normal of your choice.

I understand that you want to be as concise as possible, but it’s better to use “flawed” (in your opinion) notation that everyone can understand than your own way of describing things. This is why we don’t say “airborne Heavy Kick” and instead call it “jumping Heavy Kick”. Technically you don’t have to have jumped to be in the air and do a normal so the first is slightly more correct but the second has been used for 20+ years so it’s much easier to just stick with that.

You should read them all.

For some games, all it takes to get the upper hand, is to join a forum.

In CoD, for example, learning a few secret jumps and spots can really up your game.

Fighting game forums won’t work like that, there’s no secrets, it’s all learning.

Even to use the forums takes learning and etiquette, this means reading the stickies first. There’s a lot, but they make the difference between a good ‘learner’ and a bad ‘learner’ and this will up your game tremendously. Sorry it’s not as simple as learning a quick command-chain, but you’ll be happier in the long run :wink:

People have been opening threads to ask question that were already answered in the stickies, It’s just silly imo.

That’s why I wrote what I did, I think everyone first comes online, regardless of the forum, looking for an easy answer…and if they don’t find one, they often blame it on the natives.

I was a mod on a car forum, and before that a band forum, and never found a fix.

Everything asked will inevitably be asked again. The question will be buried and even if it is searched for the question will probably not be the same. I don’t see the harm in asking again, it won’t break the forum. I appreciate the input.

cr./c. - crouching
s. - standing
f. - far
cl. - close
d. - holding down
f. - holding forwards
b. - holding back
j. - jumping
jd. or j.d. - jumping and holding down
qcf - quarter circle forwards (down, down-forwards, forwards)
qcb - quarter circle back (down, down-back, back)
hcf - half circle forwards (back, down-back, down, down-forwards, forwards)
dp/srk - Uppercut motion, (forwards, down, down-forwards)
rdp - reverse/mirrored uppercut motion, (back, down, down-forwards)

for example, Rufus’s divekick is jdf.mk, or jump and hit downforwards + mk

Tekken and Mortal Combat communities assign buttons number but use similar notations, so f.4 is forwards + hard kick in Mortal Kombat, for example.

Anime game communities use a button naming convention similar to Capcom players, (j.k is jumping Kick) but they use keyboard directions for directional inputs and assume the character is facing right. For example, Sol’s Grand Viper is 214S, or QCB + Slash.