What are Oni's changes in USFIV? (Discussion welcome!)

@jeranhound he can FADC on 2nd hit to U1. FADC on block is another random get outta jail free move for any character with a DP. DP on block>FADC>Ultra=Desperation Please hit confirm>FADC>Ultra. They didn’t address cr.mk, fwd. Fierce, fwd. RH, startup & recovery on fireball game. 2less frames on elec. FB is weak. They didn’t have to go full screen, and St. mk need dmg buff, but we got dmg. Nerfs on slashes. I could go on. Thanks for the update Capcom

ok. whose idea was it to have oni’s ultra 2 command be half circle back?
what does that benefit actually?
being able to hold back/block then instantly ultra 2 through moves and button mashers is a good defensive tool. i don’t get this change. someone explain?

and you can’t hp dp fadc into ultra 2 anymore really? that does nice damage.

nerfs on lk slash is also bs.

pretty mediocre changes all around. seems like.

i guess they have to change the motion because of the new double ultra feature. else the motions would overlap.

I don’t see the reason for complaints. Oni and Hakan have both gotten some changes I feel is going to make some of their matchups a little better. I just wish Dan would have gotten more. but I am beyond happy for the rest.

oni balance change recently
posted by combofiend. capcom-unity

Crouching heavy kick: Starts up faster (9F->8F)
Crouching heavy kick: recovers faster (24F->23F)
6+MK: Attack comes out faster. (Startup changed 13F->11F)
Focus attack: Hitbox extended to the tip of his fingers
Light Gouhadou: recovers faster (54F->52F)
Medium Gouhadou: recovers faster (61F->59F)
Heavy Gouhadou: recovers faster (69F->67F)
Light Sekisei: Disadvantage after block reduced (-7F->-6F)
Medium Sekisei: Disadvantage after block reduced (-6F->-4F)
Medium Sekisei: Removed invincibility frame
Light/Medium/Heavy/EX Goushoryu: Focus attack cancel possible on first or second hit when opponent is hit
Light/Medium/Heavy/EX Goushoryu: Focus attack cancel possible on first hit when opponent blocks
Heavy Goushoryu: Full and hit invincibility reduced (1F~8F->1~5F and 9~10F->6~7F)
Light Rankan: Damage reduced (120->110)
Light Rankan: Stun reduced (150->130)
EX Rankan: Disadvantage after block reduced (-10F->-9F)
Heavy and EX Rankan: Hurtbox before the attack becomes active has been shrunk
Meido Gohadou: Damage increased on non animation version (350->375)
Meido Gohadou (ground): Starts up faster (11F->9F)
Meido Gohadou (air): Starts up faster (14F->11F)
Tenchi Sokaigen: command change (41236x2+PPP->63214x2+PPP)
Light/Medium/Heavy Goshoryu: Disadvantage on guard after a focus dash cancel forward increased (-5F on block)

highlighted some things i wasn’t aware of. good thing juggle after 2nd hit fierce goushoryu is back.
lookin better

Suddenly I’m even more happy.

*Hi, this is MCZ|Mago. To put it in the simplest terms possible, Oni is essentially a projectile-type character. He possesses a projectile move, as well as the Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku (Hurricane Kick) and Shoryuken special moves – so basically he has all of the “orthodox” Street Fighter tools.

But with that said, there are quite a different differences that separates Oni from Ryu and other such projectile-type characters. For instance, Oni’s fireball does not travel all the way across the screen. The recovery for his projectile move is also a little on the long side.

In return, Oni has more offensive capabilities when compared to Ryu and the other Shotos – and that’s what is perhaps the most alluring trait about Oni. The reason players pick Oni over other characters.

The USF4 iteration of Oni has had many changes made to it over its SSF4 AE2012 counterpart.

The most significant change of them all, is with Oni’s cr.HK sweep. The start-up for cr.HK has been made faster, and its recovery frames has been shortened as well, making it that much more useful as a footsie tool.

The other major change is with the reach of Oni’s focus attack. In AE2012, the reach of Oni’s focus attack was considered rather short, when compared to that of the entire cast. Over here in USF4, the reach is longer, making it easier to do certain combos that require Oni’s focus attack or a red focus attack.

Oni’s Demon Slash (Sekisei Jiraiken) special move has also been buffed. Up till now, it’s been a move that is considered unsafe since it can be punished on block. In USF4, however, the Demon Slash’s frame disadvantage on block has been reduced, making it less likely to be punished.

In exchange for less frame disadvantage on block, however, the medium version of Demon Slash no longer has invulnerability properties on the first frame of its start-up animation, which makes it a little less effective as a reversal option. The move still puts Oni in an aeriel state from the second frame onwards.

Generally speaking, although in the previous version I found Oni’s offensive options to be a little on the weaker side, now that his cr.HK sweep has been made stronger, and more of his offensive tools are more viable, I feel that in USF4, Oni players can adopt a more offensive play style, rather than wait for their opponent to come to them.*
Translation credit goes to KarbyP.

Oni has been an offensive juggernaut for quite some time. So that’s a weird statement…especially from somebody who has played Wao and faced his aggressive shenanigans.

Oni hits like a truck, but that isn’t what Mago is referring to. A lot of his mix up tools are very unsafe, his sweep is super slow, etc. Wao is definitely the best Oni, but notice he plays a very turtlish Oni. A lot of downback blocking and waiting for opportunities.

Now his step kick starts up 2 frames faster, allowing him to use it to get in with greater efficiency. His sweep is also a frame faster making it more viable. His slashes and palms are still unsafe, but less unsafe (honestly at high level play I don’t know if this is going to make much of a difference). New combos have opened up cause of the extended reach of his improved focus attack. Playing a more aggressive style will be more feasible in Ultra.

Read what Wao have to say about USF4 Oni after 400 matches: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/may/11/oni-feels-weakened-overall-ultra-street-fighter-4-even-though-there-are-more-buffs-nerfs-wao-dissects-character-after-400-matches/

Hard to tell if Oni is really weaker, or he just hates the game. Lack of other Oni players at his level, and he’s been complaining in general non stop.

what was the point of giving Oni the ability to fadc his dp if you get punished for doing it? Can you only backdash after a fadc? I really wished they left his dp as it was in ae

No point. Just a useless buff to make up for the major nerfs to the DP.

-Less frames of invincibility
-Can no longer combo anything after FADCing a DP on hit

wow thats dissapointing. Give him fadc and the only use is to blow meter. So no more ultra 1 after a fadc? And then give him fadc on block but then nerf all dp fadc’s on block. I figured oni would have got hooked up being combofiends main.

Combofiend mustn’t have had much of a say. Even though I always thought his part in Ultra was way overstated, I did think that his influence would be enough that previous characters he mained or liked (such as Oni) would be improved. Unfortunately the final changes are much worse than expected.

Oni

Vitality reduced by 50 (1000 → 950)
Crouching HK start-up reduced by 1 frame (9F → 8F); recovery reduced by 1 frame (24F → 23F)
6+MK start-up reduced by 2 frames (13F → 11F)
Focus Attack hitbox expanded forward
L Gorai Hadoken total frames reduced by 2 (54F → 52F)
M Gorai Hadoken total frames reduced by 2 (61F → 59F)
H Gorai Hadoken total frames reduced by 2 (69F → 67F)
L Sekisei Jiraiken no longer airborne on 1st frame; throw invincible from 1st frame
M Sekisei Jiraiken 1F invincibility removed
H Goshoryuken complete invincibility reduced by 3 frames (8F → 5F); strike invincibility frames changed from 9-10F to 6-7F
All versions of Goshoryuken can now be EX Focus-cancelled on the 1st hit, on hit or block
L, M and H Goshoryuken → EX Focus Cancel → Forward Dash is now -5 on block; First hit causes hard knockdown
L Rakan Dantojin damage reduced by 10 (120 → 110); stun damage reduced by 20 (150 → 130)
EX Rakan Dantojin disadvantage on block reduced (-10F → -9F)
H and EX Rakan Dantojin rear hurtbox just before the attack starts reduced to throwbox area
Meido Gohado (Anti-ground UC1) non-cinematic damage increased by 25 (350 → 375); start-up reduced by 2 frames (11F → 9F)
Meido Gozanku (Air UC1) start-up reduced by 3 frames (14F → 11F)
Tenchi Sokaigen (UC2) command changed from 41236 x2+PPP to 63214 x2+PPP

Wao just tweeted…

If Rolento is crouching frd. mk misses him completely . Pretty shitty

You can comboUltra 1&2, medium ground pound, ex tatsu, and ex dp after a DP FADC on hit.

Not exactly a useless buff. FADC Ultra 1 does nearly 400 dmg

delete

He could always SRK FADC on hit. That is not new…