Vinyl Dye on Agetec Dreamcast Case?

Okay, I’ll rephrase, I don’t see why it wouldn’t last as long as any other type of paintjob. If anything, it will look better for longer because a chip/scratch on the case will still the be the same color (as the paint leeches into the plastic).

And car vinyl tends to fade because it spends all day getting hit by intense sunlight. As long as I’m not leaving my controller out in a glass box everyday I think it’ll fare better than car seats. :rofl:

Yeah :stuck_out_tongue:

And I didn’t know that the paint leeches into the plastic, great to hear that! BTW, did you saw the video I linked a few posts before? I want to know if that’s the same kind of product, as I’m in Chile and never heard before about “vinyl dyes”.

The vinyl dye apparently has a solvent/thinner in it that actually slightly softens the plastic and allows the paint to absorb into the material. It didn’t soften it enough to warp it, and it supposedly returns to full strength after drying.

It’s not easy to see in the first picture but the texture on the painted case is identical to the stock Agetec. I tried the dye on a “Munny” (plastic toy) with a smooth surface and when painted it stayed smooth as well.

And that video you posted does appear to be the same stuff as vinyl dye.

Great to hear that, and I’ve thought about painting a Munny with this kind of paint when I first saw this thread, thanks for the info.

How relevant is the base colour? I would assume if you are starting from a black plastic going to a lighter colour would prove to be problematic. Anyone have any thing they could test this on?

Everything I’ve read is the the base color is very relevant. If you wanted to do a lighter color on black, you would need to to vinyl dye it white first, and then your new color.

Hey Crackbone (or anyone else that’s had success with this), I was just curious if there were any steps that you did prior to applying the Vinyl Dye?

Also it’s been a few months now, is the paint still holding up?

someone pm me about vinyl dying a white case into a black one

Im gonna be doing this over the weekend as well…