Veteran War Stories: What does Captain America mean to you?

I play Captain America because Shield Slash combos look fucking cool.

Also Shield Slash assist works really well for my Dorm relaunch combos.

Oh, and his execution is really easy, which I like, because I have monkey hands.

I always played Captain America back in MvC1 with Strider. Those two were my favorites.
When I got Vanilla MvC3, I came back to my beloved Cap to realize a horrible truth: he kind of sucked, and needed OTG assists. He was really awkward. So I just stuck to Dante/Wesker/Sentinel like a truly original Marvel player.
But then one day I was joking with one of my friends like hurrrr durr I’m gon play Captain America and beatchu. Meaning I played Captain America/Dante/Wesker. When I started winning though, I was getting pretty hyped, then I realized how hype it would be if I legitimately learned Cap and started bodying everyone. So I committed to learning everything about Cap - his range, his normals, his hypers, etc. - and I built a team around him the best I could to allow for amazing synergy - Captain America/Doom(missiles)/Spencer(SlantGrapple).

Flash forward to Ultimate with 12 new characters. There were much better battle buddies now for the soldier. But there were so many choices that I didn’t know what to pick! I tried everyone, and I eventually settled on Cap/Nova/Strider in the beginning. Sick color coordination (Hawkeye just wasn’t doing it for me), and I HAD STRIDER AGAIN MY OLD PAL.
I was getting pretty far, but once I got into higher ranks online, I started losing more battles, and I realized the cause - Nova just wasn’t doing it for me either. Then I did something I never thought I’d do - I switched to a certain angsty demon twin. And his name wasn’t Dante.
After spending so much time in training mode, I found that Cap and Vergil just clicked together amazingly. And I started winning online so much more.

After all the war, all the fights on the battlefields, I found peacetime in Captain America/Vergil/Strider. A bit unorthodox, but it’s working quite well for me.

My PSN is EpicRamen, if anyone wants to fight. Peace out soldiers.

lol! thx dude! do you still rock the stripes? we gotta play some matches sometime! There aren’t many Caps online…

To me, Cap means ROCK SOLID GAMEPLAN, steady gentle patriotic rythm, going with the flow. …And lots of crossups!
[media=youtube]6UCX72fqfEk[/media]

btw, hey yall

Yeah I do! He’s been the online consistent character I’ve had over the two games haha. I haven’t been online much recently, my lazy/disorganization has even affected how bother I am to play! lol, nah I’ve been busy yeah we definitely have to!

You don’t mind if I add you on PSN? That was just golden.

yeaah duuuuuuude! i’ve been pretty offline lately too, but i think i’m back. It seems i can’t stop playing FGs for too long lol. Also, i got a brand new capture card and i have to use it, damn!

Thanks ^^ Sure, my ID is laFunkhh. Probably tomorrow i’m gonna play big time. I’ll be looking forward for you!

He hits hard, he’s a ton of fun, he’s heroic and patriotic but not a cheesy way, but in an epic way.Plus, he was one of my mains in MVC2.

I know its not “cool” to be patriotic anymore in this country, but I am proud to be American and he’s one of my favorite characters in the game so I usually pick him.

I used to play Cap/Ryu or Cap/War Machine in MvC1 and I was happy to see him get his OTG back in UMvC3, he’s a super soldier and I love using him.

Cap is a great super hero.

Ok I just got reading some Captain America comics and this is my opinion on him:
Captain America is the greatest character ever created.He is,as long as i’m concerned,the greatest hero on earth.An aspiring symbol of hope,he expects the absolute best out of everyone.He is a man who walks among Gods and monsters.He is a man standing proud.He is a man that after a hard day’s work goes to sleep and thinks:
“Today I did good.Tomorrow I’ll do better.”

My favorite aspect of him is his sheer willpower.Beaten and tortured by a force greater than himself he refused to give up even at death’s door(see Avengers 1 by Hickman).Even when his mind was under siege by the greatest telephatic force on Earth he broke free of the shackles of evil(see Uncanny Avengers 3).He stands alone against the forces of Fear all by himself(see fear itself).He shall never give up against the the forces of evil.In the last issue of Brubaker’s acclaimed run on Cap’s solo he said a line that resonates with me in an incredible scale.It goes something like this:
"And that’s the thing about being Captain America.It’s to realize the battle is always too big.And it will never end."
That line had me crying for a good hour and a half.

All-Star Superman’s opening had a nine word explanation for Superman’s history.I will something similar for Captain America:
World at War…
Hero’s Birth…
Symbols die…
Under ice…
Return of Hope…
CAPTAIN AMERICA

I am dropping my main team and building a team for Cap.When I go to a tournament I will enter as Real Cap.My son will be name Steven(or Pietro or maybe even Remy).I am pumped as f**k to play as Captain America.Peace.

It seems like a lot of people here don’t realize the mockery and satire of American nationalism that went into Captain America; especially with the goofy, over-the-top recent film. You guys are really taking this as honest, “YEAH GO AMERICA” when it’s absolutely not at all. It makes me wonder if any of you guys have ever turned on the news or read a book, or view the entire world through works of fiction instead. Sheesh.

I don’t think anyone here is mistaking a Captain America comic for a Toby Keith song. When Cap was created it absolutely was “YEAH GO AMERICA!”, and in the recent movies and such he addresses it. In the Avengers, for example, he says something like “when I woke up, they said we won the war. They didn’t mention what we lost.” Cap represents some important facets of America’s past and possible future in contrast to something like Team America: World Police.

Aside all of that, Steve Rogers is just a great character. He represents the values and glory of Superman but with the limits and hard truths of Batman. His physical abilities and demeanor are out of our reach just enough to inspire without seeming inconsequential.