Using stick with left hand

Switch your wanking hand and it won’t be long till you’re a pro.

I’m a musician, and unless your name is Jimi Hendrix, there is no “left handed guitar” - there’s the right way to play the instrument, and the wrong way. There’s no such thing as a right handed french horn - they’re all left handed. Of course, with things like brass instruments, you have hundreds of years of tradition on why any given way is the “right way” to play - not so much for arcade sticks (and to a lesser degree, guitars (electric guitar is about 100 years old, electric bass about 50 - depending on your definition of what the “first” was)).

So I immediately scream “learn to play it ‘right’” - that is, with the stick in your left hand and your right on the buttons. Of course, there’s not a 300 year tradition with arcade sticks - so ultimately, suck it up, learn to play crosshanded, or make your own. …but I still twitch at anything but “proper” technique. (and then there’s the issue of how to grip the stick…which is a whole 'nother ball of wax)

man up and play cross handed

I started on keyboard too. Using arrows with right hand for moving and asd/zxc for buttons. When I changed to stick I had to re-learn the muscle memory for every move, this happens regardless of what hand you use for each function since the hand motions you use are completely different. You used to push buttons for directions and now you move a stick around, its totally different. The problem you’re having isn’t due to hand orientation, but is due to a change of control method. This same problem is experienced by pad players changing to stick or even keyboard players changing to pad. The way to remedy it is to re-learn your muscle memory, which you’ll have to do regardless of which hand you use for directions. My advice is to learn it the regular way so you’ll have a “universal” muscle memory.

I don’t see why you don’t just build a custom stick. >_> At least no one would want to borrow it.

I’m not quite following your example here. Lefty guitars are fairly common. Hard to find in stores sometimes but several brands do offer them. The idea that righty is the “correct” way to play the guitar is preposterous.

To the threadstarter- Whatever works, do it. Switch layouts.

You should seriously just make a custom stick with the stick on the right side or have someone make you a custom. Why is it a big deal if it isn’t the standard? Use whatever you do best on.

ppl ppl… read the first post… I DID make a custom fightstick, and i did it with standart TE layout and it would be easy to switch layout sides, but im afraid of it cause regulary there is no goofy sticks, basicaly i would not be able to play anywhere if i dont bring my stick everywhere :confused:

The problem IS in my hand orientation, i cant switch control sides even on a keyboard for fighting games, ant the stick in my right hand feels good…

Mexican-style FTW :tup:

Back when I played keyboard I map WASD/arrows for directions and UIOJKL/numpad for attack buttons.

This.

All of this.

@OP: Hit up SRK Lucky Day - he and a pal of his make affordable custom sticks and they are more than willing to create you a lefthanded layout if you so desire.

genius

This is kinda off topic, so this will be my only response to this - but read the rest of the post man. Like I said there - I’m a little softer on guitarists than say violinist or brass players, but I’m far from alone in thinking that playing lefty is “wrong” despite “left handed guitars” being made. There are, in fact, very good and sometime subtle and not-so-easy-to-see reasons why most instruments are played the way they are. I’m what is called a “contemporary bass player” - means I use off the wall techniques and try to do something new with the instrument (yes, I can groove and play jazz lines, too). What makes “contemporary bass playing” possible is the fact that 50 years is not long enough to establish a body of work and a “right way to do things” - which is to say, there is no standard. The guitar does not have that luxury, because the guitarra and lute have been around for centuries and there are in fact established ways of playing “correctly.” But, the electric guitar is a new beast, and 100 years is in sort of a gray area - therefore, I think that in almost all cases that left handed people should play right handed guitars. Key word - almost.

However, the point of my post is that arcade sticks are made the way they are for a reason, and button layouts are the way they are for a reason. If you’re right handed, and try to play french horn “right handed,” you will eventually learn that you have more difficulty controlling your tone because your off hand is the stopper in the bell - there’s a reason the tradition is what it is. And it is not always apparent to the beginner.

Edit: and in all that I neglected to reinforce the final, important point - which finally applies to the OP. Do what works, but realize that just learning a regular stick layout may be the best thing in the end.

Well OP, I guess you either have to take your own stick with you wherever you go, or indeed, adapt. Transitioning to stick from anything else is a bit awkward anyway, so it might be worth it just to learn to play the standard lay-out. Even if the stick was on the right side for you, it might still take quite a while before you can actually dp consistently. But anyway, yeah those are probably your only options.

Oh and bassplayer, saying anything can only be done one way because it’s been done that way for centuries is incredibly stupid.

Just go practice. There is no magic answer.

I made a decision. I think that ill try to overcome this by playing other games which heavily requires stearing (racing genre…?) for a while. I think it would be less thrustrating by playing games which needs a lot of easy stick work than goin straight to sf4 which requires super complexed left hand work. If i wont see any results in few weeks I think that ill switch my custom stick’s layout sides since i made it by my self and it will be really easy to do.

You completely missed the point.

Maybe, but what i was trying to say that i have no problem with switching control method, cause i can use cross-handed control effectively, but it’s very uncomfortable and my hands get tired when i us it, but the problem is with switching hands sides. I gave that example with keyboard to show you that even on a keyboard control method which i use like for ever i cant switch my hand sides

That doesn’t make any sense to me. Better to spend time practice what you really want to improve then taking a pit stop with racing games.

Bad puns aside, you just need to spend a bunch of time in training mode. You don’t have to worry about executing under pressure that way.