UltraDavid's How-To Q Thread

It’s not a great idea to do random ex punch dash punches. They’re highly punishable on block, start up a little slower than the jab dash punch, and travel about the same distance as the jab dash punch. It’s much smarter to just do jab dash punch, not only because it’s safer but because, if it hits, you can cancel into super and do much more damage than you would have with an ex dash punch. As for doing one after a shoto sweep, it won’t work at the sweep’s max range, but if the sweep isn’t max range and you don’t have meter for a super, I suppose that’s a fine idea.

Here’s to that!

EX dash as a shoto sweep punisher is a bad idea. The sweep is -13 and the EX dash is 14. They recover before your EX touches them. Expect to run into random SRKs and parries post sweep.

If you don’t have meter for SA1, and it wasn’t a max range sweep, go for jab slaps or standing mk.

k yeah the other dashes are better but i like to do stuff no one does ya know?

and yeah slaps is a better idea greed or lp dash.

umm i read your shibang on q and it’s very good but maybe i forgot or something but what are his best ticks into c and deadly b?? i know lp is good but what else?
is lk good i use that some?

also does he have any parry baits??

and how do you play q

Even jab dash after sweep is a bit of a risk. They recover as soon as jab dash comes out, allowing them to parry or try for a “psychic” SRK. However, if you have a full meter it may not that bad of an idea.

I guess it’s pretty dependant on who you’re playing. My area is full of degenerates who dp after every whiffed sweep. Going for the dash quickly became a bad idea. But if your area isn’t full of people like that, then by all means try for that dash punch(assuming you have a super behind it and maybe some taunts).

Ticks-I was supposed to send this to UltraDavid quite a while ago, but forgot. I might as well post it now before I forget again.

**-**Close jab xx Hk Capture: The basic tick. After a while people start to jump after the jab touches them, take heed and start using b.mp and medium slaps to counter their counter.

**-**Standing lk, HK Capture: While it doesn’t cancel into Capture it does hit crouching Chun and Makoto. Replacing the Capture with a standing MK will stop a fair share of retaliation pokes and assorted bullshit.

**-**Standing lk, lk, Capture: Fun to throw out there every now and then. Works the same way as the above tick.

**-**Crouching lk, HK Capture: Usually unexpected. Going for cr. MP or standing MP instead of the grab may stop some attempts to jump away.

**-**Crouching lp, HK Capture: Same shit. It doesn’t hit low but it does have more frames for you to work with on block. Crouching lp also combos into SA2 if you’re gangsta like that(Please, don’t try it).

**-**Jump straight up MK, Capture. Wait as till you’re pretty low to the ground for best results. Be sure to mix up the timing on the MK every now and then just to be safe. I recommend using this on wake up every now and then.

**-**Jump in Fierce, HESITATE, Capture: Most people will start to expect the jab after the jump in and they may try to parry your shit. This’ll grab their ass! Please yell “Fools, you can’t parry throws” whenever you see 'em take a step forward after the jump in. You can substitute Fierce with RH for variety.

**-**Standing lk, far lp, HK Capture: Now we’re just being silly. Still, a lot of people don’t expect to get tossed at that range.

Some general notes-While Capture & Deadly blow is fearsome, I would try to be selective as to where and when I’d use it. The recovery on it pretty much allows every character to try for their combo exhibition of choice. Once you land C&DB a few times people will start to get scared and desperate. Use this to you advantage and start counter poking their escape attempts. You can get a lot of damage out of punishment MKs and B.MPs. Don’t be so set on landing Captures that you miss out on free damage.

Use your head and follow your heart. Q is all about PASSION!

st.mp on block is a good parry bait.
but certainly a bad poke against short character…
i often use this just to trail my opponent after they got hit w/ sa1.
sa1 --> opponent flew on the other side of the screen --> st.strong --> dash
just to maintain pressure on your opponent.
saw it from a lot of vids too. :wink:

oh yeah greed i don’t just try for c and db everytime lol. but when the chance arrives…damn it is fun to land…it just looks balla!!

But yeah nice ticks cancelling off rh is fun, esp bf people know you can do it and you catch em dashing in lol!!

anyone know where Thongboy Bebop?s Third Strike Basics video is? can’t find it on CV, i’ll try IRC atm.

Updated the partitioning and random stuff sections and added a sick red racing stripe.

Double EX Dashes and Other Useless Q Combos

When Q is cornered(and I mean really in the fucking corner):

[Close MK]EXdashpunch, EXdashpunch/jab dashpunch.

This is basically useless but it’s the highest damage option available when cornered without super or Capture. Keep this in mind the next time you parry something while cornered and have stock for an EX.

MK Capture, EXdash, LK Dash Sweep.

Looks funny. Does 4 damage less than the standard follow up. Save for the times you want to start a combo exhibition on a scrubster. Doesn’t work on Alex(and possibly Urien, Hugo, 12, Necro-Will test tomorrow!).
Mid-screen and opponent cornered

HK Capture, Strong Dash/Jab Dash/Jab Overhead Dash, EXdash xx SA1.

Adds one hit and 4 damage all for the low low price of one super. Save for those times when the extra damage will finish them off.

Opponent Corner

HK Capture, walk up LK.

Resets real low to the ground. May catch someone off guard once. Otherwise weak and pointless.

Note-I’ll not be held responsible for any matches lost when attempting this bullshit.

I updated a bunch of stuff.

Hey, I just started using Q recently, and I was wondering if there were any situations where it would be the most practical thing to end a C&DB combo with B.Roundhouse XX Taunt?

NEver cause it won’t work.

Using B.RHxxTaunt as an ender does one less point of damage than the standard, but makes up for it with style points.

And it keeps them close to you. The choice is yours.

I updated a whole bunch of stuff and added matchup advice for Ken and Dudley.

hey what should you do in q vs q match??..sa1 or 2? i have a money match with silver gear at fr9 q vs q lol!! this is gonna be mad fun.

go for sa1!
you can random super twice. lolz

I updated a crapload of crap, tightened up a buttload of butt, and added in a stuffload of stuff.

I’m gonna be honest here: the Q v Q matchup is the rarest one for me and the one I’m most awful at. For whatever reason, Random Joe Who Doesn’t Play Q #4 can pick Q and, if not run right through me, beat me or at least play even with me. This matchup is freakin retarded though because your opponent has all the same limited tricks you have. I mean, this isn’t like Ken v Ken where both players have a bunch of potential games to play, lots of different tricks, and different playstyles to pick from. It’s similar to the Q v Makoto fight in that randomness and guessing are key. It’s like a game of chess where you have 3 pieces and they’re all pawns, so whoever moves first gets the advantage. My advice is to “go first” and generally be annoying and random. But definitely pick SAI.

Huzzah.

Updateage, rewordage, and restructureage.

Put in some new info, edited some things, and prettied it all up.

Anyone have any specific questions about anything? Strats, tricks, matchups, etc?