The Yoshimitsu Thread

Who does Yoshimitsu play like? I know he has ass walkspeed, and I’d expect his normals to have really good range due to the sword, but watching his gameplay videos it looks otherwise (character can be inside the tip of the sword and not be hit). Considering all that and his weird stances, maybe he’s a close up offensive guy?
If you would put him in a SF archetype, who would it be?

I dont know if he fits a SF archtype but maybe Chun-Li without fireballs or walk speed. I used him for spacing and footsing when I played him. Plus hes got a really good jump in HP that actually beats a lot of anti airs and also hits like 5 times overhead. His combos hit hard, and hes probably got the best tag cancel move in the game (Gehosen/Windmill)

Btw, is it confirmed that Yoshimitsu has a special grab when tagged in?

Hey all, thought I’d try getting the discussion going again. Here’s a link to when GamesRadar started messing around with Yoshi in training mode (Skip to 11:10):

[media=youtube]RC9TKp0ouYk[/media]

I know it’s kinda old, but some of the stuff they discover is pretty cool, especially with his Super.

i was already sold on yoshi, but if bad breath remains a crumple on airborne opponents, that’ll make him even more valuable and dangerous. not to mention having a move that holds a standing opponent in place with sword spin, which is a great tool to have for combos in this game. definitely putting time into this character.

Only the :hp: and the ex versions crumple

Can’t you loop “cancellable normal xx H Poison breath”? Or at least with EX?

Not sure, that has to be explored but most likely for the sake of balance you wont be able to loop the poison breathe unless it is ex

Yeah, I doubt they’d overlook something that simple.

Street fighter x tekken description

The Inheritor of the Demon Sword
As the mysterious head of the Manji clan, Yoshimitsu steals from evil companies and spreads their wealth to the poor. Although he has a serious temperament, he also shows flashes of stupidity. Believing that his demonic sword is resonating with the large mass of fighters who are searching for Pandora in the Antarctic, Yoshimitsu travels with Raven in order to quell his sword’s cries.

Normal move notes (Found via http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=121611)

**Normal moves:**These will be difficult to describe, since I’m just guessing at what’s a normal and not a special, and I have no way of saying what is lp/mp/hp, etc.

[LIST]
[]Crouching upward sweeping motion with sword. Appears to be new, as I don’t otherwise recognize it. Does not seem to launch.
[
]Side kick (df+4). Appears to be a normal move, but this is recognizable from Tekken.
[]Triple Roundhouse (4,4,4). I had originally put this with Special moves, but it’s probably just a normal move combo.
[
]Downward slash - like his 2B from Soul Calibur.
[/LIST]
Special moves
Gehosen
:dp: +:p:

poison breath
:hcb: +:k:

Suicide
:hcb::f:+ :p:

slap you silly
:qcf:+:p:

Manji low kicks
:qcf:+:k:

Indian stance vacuum dance
:dp:+:3p: reverse :dp:+:3p: or :3k:

Super art
Sword poke windmill
:hcf:+:3p:

(Current notes about his other mix of specials or unique moves.) found via http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=121611

[LIST]
[]Devious Plot and Sword Face Smash throws
[
]Manji sweeps (uncertain how many spins, or if it makes him stagger upon too many spins); also seems to have a shorter variation that uses both feet…like one spin kick plus a crouching kick (2nd video, 00:45)
[]Flea stance
– Running Flea (his 1-sword version from T5 backward)
– Ducking Flea (can be held, and returns to Flea, so can do Ducking Flea -> Diving cranium)
– Flea hop** (has spring sound effect for some reason)**
– Diving cranium (does a short hop up on block)
[
]Slap U Silly (also uncertain if it makes you dizzy after too many spins)
EDIT: Slap U Silly will dizzy after too many hits, as seen in one of the later videos. Spun too fast for me to count, but it seemed like about seven or eight sound effects. Doesn’t seem like it affects the EX version, though.
[]Suicide/Double suicide (Double suicide may be EX version)
[
]Indian Sit / Teleport (seems to be an instant move, so Indian Sit may not be an actual stance)
[]Poison Wind -> Stone Fist -> Manji Flip (can go immediately into indian sit teleport)
– Poison Wind -> Stone Fists -> Poison Wind combo possible, so he seems to have most of his options from Poison Wind intact.
[
]Gehosen (his f,N,d,DF+1 from T6); launches high, and comes out very fast. Has an EX version.
[]Sword Poke Windmill (instant, uncertain if it’s a followup from sword impale that can come out instantly or not…in any case, he does a one-legged pose, like his old taunt dance, while doing it, and it sucks in and multi-hits)
[
]Poison breath (comes out instantly, without going to bad stomach first)
[]Kangaroo kick (his command launcher, since all characters now have a launcher); causes tag-in of team member.
[
]Ninja blade slice (his f,f+2 – is a charge-up move, can be charged up to super. Unblockable? Always seems to go through on hit, but not sure if it can be blocked.)
– Can cancel into windmill before launching attack.
[]“Super” Sword poke windmill (super combo, has same vacuum property as regular, and, like regular, can be blocked)
[
]Some diving sword windmill attack. Looking forward to pressure games.
[/LIST]
Other notes

[LIST]
[]His normal stance has changed to resemble Mitsurugi’s Relic stance from Soul Calibur, with his sword held up close to his face. Unsure of why they changed it, but it does still look pretty cool.
[
]At about 00:58 on the second video, he does what looks like his SC 2B, but this is probably not a special move.
[]Possible to tag out during animation of Sword Poke Windmill, while opponent is stuck in block animation. Good setup opportunity.
[
]Tag on/off involves Dragonfly stance fly-in. Can perform with Hidden God throw on tag-in (unsure of mechanics).
[/LIST]
Gameplay
[media=youtube]5DPYkmuw7fY[/media]
[media=youtube]xDRm6bfmyXQ[/media]
[media=youtube]EEg_j5fWRkI[/media]
[media=youtube]dk-M8sSBAVg[/media]

Properties (Air and ground)

I keep hearing about this, but do we have any footage whatsoever?

I’ve seen him do Hidden God throw mid-screen before and yes it has happened on stream 2 days ago i think.

Ok, thanks. I like little stuff like that. Is it a unique animation or is it just one of his normal throws?

[media=youtube]y7Xn5p2-9_w[/media]

Don’t think I saw this in here, the yoshi player is basically the worst player I have ever seen but footage is footage right?

[media=youtube]iVOoYWoHm7s[/media]

Get to see a bit more stuff in here even a few combo’s. Saw a crumple stun from poison breath which is cool, also j. fp still looks god like.

I’ve heard talk about how some consider Yoshimitsu to be a joke character in this game. Is he truly lacking in some way, or is it just that he hasn’t really been cracked open yet?

The game isnt even officially released, obviously. So you can chalk it up to nobody knowing how to play him yet.

Yoshimitsu being a joke character isnt worth entertaining. A non Tekken player came up with that weak conclusion.

Yeah thats been thrown around a lot lately. Idk man games not even out yet so its really early to be calling characters joke tier.

One thing I do know is that if the guys who were saying that ( basically everyone on cross assault, so some really top tier players like mike ross, ricky ortiz, arturo, etc etc ) think he’s that bad he’s gonna take a while to make look good.

I want to get into the lab with him really badly though because I thought he looked strong with his j. hp hit box and good all around looking normals.

I agree. We won’t know until it’s fully released, but I was just curious if anyone knew why people already think he’s bad. I’m just hoping that it’s due to the lack of lab time.

I’m wondering if he’s simply lacking tools. It looks like from his gameplay vids that he doesn’t have the solid mixups of characters like Heihachi. Also, do his normals seem really slow to you? Do you think his windmill and high and low spin moves will cause a lot of damage scaling? It could be that his moveset just doesn’t translate well into the Street Fighter system. His moves look awesome and resemble his Namco iteration, but perhaps they are more for aesthetics. Either way the joke tier statements won’t deter me from giving him a try. I’m also anxious to see what the BradyGames guide has to say about him.

(Edit)
If you go to Team Tekken’s Day 4 archive at about 03:43:11 Aris starts to play a few rounds with Yoshi: http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner/b/309741376

Damn, looks like EX Poison Breath doesn’t crumple opponents in the air anymore. I guess they thought it was too good.