The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

The same reason why folks prefer to play SF over some other fighting game:

They prefer it. Or, it just suits them aesthetically or competitively. Or, both. They may have grew up with it. This can be said for anyone who plays fighting games. In this context, it is too difficult to say which game is better or worse than the other as they are still two different fighting games.

For a more specific example: If I have to choose between playing KOF and playing Blazblue, I will play KOF. Not necessarily because I dislike BB (personally, I think it is decent series to get into. It just does not appeal to “me” specifically for a number of reasons but it is not hard to see why folks enjoy it). KOF is just something I happen to grew up with, besides me just generally liking the series. Even then, I still may play BB just out of curiosity or because there happens to be a offline tournament somewhere nearby.

Not to give you the wrong impression, rub anyone here the wrong way or to insult anyone’s intelligence. There is no sin in disliking a game. I honestly did not like playing Marvel 3 for example. But, just because I don’t like playing it, my thought process towards the game will not apply to anyone else or on a universal basis. One person disliking a game does not necessarily make it a “bad” or a “garbage” game either and it will not stop others from playing said game. Hence, why people may just play Tekken to SF or vice-versa.

It’s a huge scenario where the whole “YMMV”-concept applies.

7 Likes

How is this in ANYWAY related to the thread topic? Please take it elsewhere.

7 Likes

http://shmuplations.com/kinunishimura/

Interview w/ Kinu Nishimura, interesting bits include her pitching a dating sim that went nowhere, being inspired by Akiman and stating her life dream of wanting her art to be the driving influence of a game.

4 Likes

Fingers crossed that SF6’s art direction will be deeply influenced and shaped by her artstyle.

7 Likes

Let’s not have another artstyle debate, OK

the topic i deleted was about V-reversal and Alpha Counter question anyway.

moving on

We have seen in other media they are changing Cammy visual to more friendly to wide audience.

We have seen attempts in Snes

Summary

Even in other media that probably would reach more audience

Summary

Even now in mobile gaming

Summary

and in other games

Summary

The question is about Cammy’s default for other platform not talking about future Sf.

Which do you consider the best alternate costume from SF4, SFxTK and SFV that can represent Cammy for other gaming platforms that aim for wider audience?

1 Like

Kinu rocks, objective statement. The debate has been avoided.

8 Likes

Not gonna lie, after playing Falke’s story again, I’m now even more interested in Neo-Shadaloo. I’ve come to realize that I like Falke and Ed, so I would like to see more of their journey unfold.

While the Character Story battles are pretty short, a lot of the plot-lines (F.A.N.G. attacking Abel and being saved by Guile, Nash coming across Ed and fighting F.A.N.G., Ryu and Nash’s powers being drawn to one another, Karin’s World Tournament in NYC, Kolin meeting Gill in the past and Guile many yrs later, Alex being kidnapped by F.A.N.G., Akuma’s story, etc) are pretty alluring to say the least. Makes me wish they were longer.

7 Likes

I think would enjoy a second character story for everyone more than a second general story.

4 Likes

I’m greedy and want both, though realistically, I wouldn’t mind a 2nd character story if they doubled it. I’ve loved quite a bunch of these, but a lot of times they stop just as they’re getting started. G in particular could benefit from a double-sized tale. If they’re building him up to be a villain, anti-villain or something else entirely, he needs more time. There needs to be new stuff introduced, doubt, reassurance and then mystery added on. I just feel that if this is the last game before a post Sf3 game, then there needs to be a bit more for me.

7 Likes

@The_Shakunetsu To answer your question, I honestly like the FF: StreetWise one to the left.

I don’t mind a redesign of Cammy to make her more suitable, just as long as the core values of her character design isn’t obscured by it which is what some of those designs (namely the mobile one)

1 Like

Those outfits for Cammy are great as alts.
Her default look in mainline games are too iconic and perfect to change.

3 Likes

As beautiful it will be a Kinu-style SF6, it’s not going to happen with current capcom, sf6 is going even further from japanese style

Also even imagining an utopia where current capcom are’nt pieces of shit and truly pick Kinu as main artist, it will not result necessary in a Kinu-looking game as long art director keep loose control letting 3d modellers do the fuck they want

SFV actual ingame aesthetic does’nt reflect the style of SFV concepts art, and it’s not only due the inevitable translation from 2d to 3d

1 Like

About the general story “vs” characters story

I liked the new parts of the story but not much the “cheap” (and i like Bengus art) way we got them

I still hope for General Story 2, as so many missed the characters missed the ASF boat, and will be a shame if they don’t get a bit more than a couple of Bengus illustrations and an image arcade ending done by kiki/randomudonpeople

4 Likes

I really like the Neo-Shadaloo concept. An organization built on the grounds of old Shadaloo recruiting test lab freaks, of which there are plenty in this series, is interesting. It can tie a lot of stories together, bring into relevance ton of shitty characters… The problem with them is the uniformity of their designs. Looking at the classic 4 Kings, all are unique, distinct in their own way at first glance and with tons of personality in their designs. Ed’s gang is just full of anime hipsters. He’s military boy, Falke’s military girl, the Gorilla is just… the gorilla and the other guy I don’t even fucking know. They need to drop their uniforms as soon as possible and become characters in their own right.

5 Likes

They need to drop the name IMO because it has too many sinister undertones and they are supposed to be anti-heroes or something.

Doesn’t matter though, it’s only a matter of time until HE returns to claim what is rightfully his. #SF7

2 Likes

That’s fair, but I like it being tied to Bison’s organization in some way, but Neo-Shadaloo does seem more like a continuation of Shadaloo ideology rather than the new profile they take. Unless all those guys decide they had enough of being labrats and want to take over the world too.

1 Like

I wonder if Capcom even knows what Neo Shadaloo is.

Everything at a design level appears to be a continuation of Shadaloo under new leadership. They took Shadaloo’s name. They wear Shadaloo-inspired uniforms. Anti-heroes at best, if not outright villains.

Nearly everything at a story level appears to be the exact opposite. Ed opposes Shadaloo, and fights against his fate. He made no effort to hold Shadaloo together after Bison’s fall, and even parted ways with Balrog. His expressed goal after rescuing Falke is to search the world for the others that are held by Shadaloo and to free them. Falke’s arcade ending has Ed and Falke together in a normal domestic situation.

From the story’s side, there is absolutely no reason, other than pushing a “doomed to be unable to escape their fates” scenario, why they’d ape Shadaloo’s name or appearance. Now, it is possible that Capcom does intend a “they can’t really escape” path for them, but I’d guess it is more that the physical (and name) design was divorced from the story elements they later created.

1 Like

Ed’s a bit of a troll. I get the impression that he calls the group Neo Shadaloo to spite Bison. He’s taking the name and doing positive things as an F U to Bison.

2 Likes

I don’t think Bison is concerned with such trivialities. In fact, everything that Ed and co are doing are in accordance to his GRAND DESIGN. All will be revealed soon. BRB.

1 Like