The PC gaming Thread. Steam/GOG/Origin/Etc. Game/Software/Hardware talk

another one to worth looking at is NZXT’s BLD Service.
https://www.letsbld.com/?utm_source=YouTube&utm_campaign=J2C

Saw this deal and thought you may be interested: https://slickdeals.net/f/11407731-dell-xps-8930-desktop-i5-8400-8gb-ddr4-1tb-hdd-gtx-1080-1017-free-shipping?utm_source=rss&utm_content=fp&utm_medium=RSS2

It’s a Dell, but the video card alone is worth almost that much at current pricing. I5-8400 is considered one of the best gaming CPUs available right now. 8GB is a little anemic for my use personally, but a fine starting point. You can likely just add an nVME drive to that setup and be happy with it for years to come.

Alternatively, have you tried PCPartPicker.com for putting together your build? Generally they show the lowest prices available from a variety of popular vendors (including temporary discounts, coupons, etc).

(ignore this part, just trying to make the post different enough that the new forum software will actually let me post it. dafuq?)

I’ve tried PC part picker. Everything is good until I reach GPU and memory that’s when my costs start to blow up. GPUs tend to be $300 higher than the normal MSRP and RAM prices are all over the place. I’m trying to aim for $2500 but it seems I’ll need a little more than that. Also I’m leaning on AMD Ryzen for the build I want.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that is going to be the case for quite a while due to cryptocurrency mining.
Amazon is having a PC Gaming sale today, including components and pre-built machines. May be worth checking out. Good luck on your hunt.

After a couple of days to think about it I’m definitely going with Ryzen for my CPU. What sucks is that I’m better off waiting three weeks as the 2nd gen Ryzens will hit the market on the 19th. Best to see if the new bells and whistles are worth it.

Watch out with the motherboards.
Make sure their Bios is pre-updated to work with the 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs.

Intel had this issue with past the last gen CPUs, that Motherboards will bnot post until you flash the Bios with an Update, and you needed a older CPU in order to Flash the bios.

New MOBOs are going to be released alongside 2nd Gen Ryzen so I’m good on that front. I know has 1st gen Ryzen MOBOs have legacy support but it won’t be capable of taking advantage of new features of 2nd gen.

Just scored me a 24in AOC 144hz monitor. Church of Unlimited Frames here i come!

So just watching some streams and suddenly my monitor blacks out and says no signal detected(stream is still running). I checked the dvi cable and even reconnected it but it didn’t work so I just turned off/on my PC and the monitor was working again.

Is this a warning sign or something? Gpu problem?

Whats your PC up time?

O long time for sure. Prob 2 weeks or so since I last powered it off.

Then its kinda hard to say.
If the issue repeats than perhaps its your GPU.

Make sure you dust out your system well and your GPU not running too hot.

So recently I got a new Laptop. Its a Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51

But what is up with the Acer Power Button app?
It is (currently) my only issue with the Laptop.

Crusader Kings 2 is free until Sunday…

1 Like

My guess is since you went a while without a power cycle, something triggered your PC into thinking it was idle. It sometimes happens when watching movies and streams, even if your power settings aren’t configured for sleep/hibernate. Some CPUs can also have problems waking from a sleep state.

When it comes to GPU warning signs:
When the monitor blacked out, did Windows make any sounds, like the USB disconnect/reconnect sound?
Any error messages along the lines of “the AMD/Nvidia driver has recovered”.

If you didn’t see anything like that, then It’s probably fine.

1 Like

I am looking for budget of a good gaming CPU under 300$.

Any suggestion for this budget?

$300 gives a lot of wiggle room for a CPU.

For Intel: i5 8400 is about $180. Doesn’t use an expensive motherboard because it can’t be overclocked.
i5 8600k is about $250. Can be overclocked, needs a more expensive motherboard and after-market cooler.

For AMD: The 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs are releasing next week.

2 Likes

The new Ryzen 7 2700 is $299 MSRP and the Ryzen 5 2600X is $229 MSRP and they both come with new versions of AMD’s Wraith Spire cooler. The 2700 comes with a RGB Cooler.

And the mother boards for AM4 are not that expensive ether.
If you want to cut cost go with a B350 chipset board instead of the x370 chipsety boards.

The X300 and A300/B300 are appear to be mostly ITX formfactor boards.
Good for tiny/ portable builds or a HTPC but not for a stationary Desktop gaming rig

Slight change in topic.

Mass Drop has GTX 1070s and 1080s on sale.

Sales going on for 2 more days/.
All they have left is the $550 GTX 1070 Ti from MSI.

I would jump on it my self, but all I want is a second card to match my Asus GTX 1080.

Ava direct are already offering to create builds with the new Ryzens and MOBOs. I want to jump on them but I definitely shouldn’t until the benchmarks become available.

It is crazy how much GPUs have increase in price. I got my MSI 1070 for $390 before prices got crazy on GPUs, and now one for $550 is consider cheap.

I’m really happy I got my 1070 on time.

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies.