The Path (complete)

Chapter XXI: Bygones

A group of young boys playing catch suddenly stopped and stared as a foreboding figure slowly walked down the dirt road in front of them. One boy didn?t even notice as the ball smacked him in the face, he was too transfixed on the man in the worn karate uniform, with his cold expression and his long black ponytail blowing in the wind like a war banner.

?I think I know that guy.? One of them said. He was holding the ball and did not want to throw it yet. He knew his friends would give him gruff and he?d rather argue with them while holding his ball than not.

?No you don?t! What?s his name?!?

?I don?t know him like that, but I think I?ve heard of him. They say he?s a demon?a demon of battle. He travels around looking for tough guys to beat them up. He thrashed an entire dojo a couple towns over a few days ago. He must be strong to take an entire school by himself?? The boy now tossed the ball to the right of him.

?My brother knows karate! Why doesn?t this demon fight him? I should go get him-?

?Don?t bother. They say he only fights strong opponents.?

?Hey shut up. Ok he?s gone now let?s get back to the game. I got to be home by dinner??or else?? the boy imitated his mother?s voice.

++++++++++++++++++

When Gouken received the mail with the Masters Corporation logo on the envelope he tossed it aside, dismissing it as unimportant. A couple days later Retsu found it and opened it. He immediately walked into the dining room were Gouken was enjoying some roasted chicken.

?Gouken did you make a promise to train this businessman from America?s son??

?What businessman from America?? Gouken was still staring at his food as he spoke, holding a piece of chicken just a couple of inches from his mouth.

?Kenny Masters of the Masters Corporation!? Sometimes Retsu was sure Gouken played dumb. It made it easier for Retsu to be annoyed. This was one of those particular instances.

?Masters? Kenny?.he never told me he was a businessman! But I met him when he was still in university though-? Gouken paused to shovel more food into his mouth.

?So I take it you met him a while ago. In Japan??

?Yeah. He was vacationing. How did he find out where I am??

?He?s rich. He says he?s thinking about sending his son to you. He wants him to have discipline and focus. Here?s the letter.?

Gouken regrettably put his food down to read the message. Kenny didn?t seem all the way committed to sending his son across the ocean to be trained. But he had remembered an offhand and intoxicated promise now clear in Gouken?s mind. Back in a smoky ex-boomtown club when Kenny Masters said:

?Gouken you?re strong let me tell you. I want my future son to be trained by you. Even if I have to send him to Japan! I don?t want my son to be a wimp. No sir.?

Gouken wrote Kenneth Masters II a letter back stating that if he was unsure about sending Ken to be trained, wait on it another year or so.

++++++++++++++++++

Goutetsu had received the telegram a week ago. It was a formal challenge left unsigned. Things like this no longer shook him. He had been through it too often. Either his opponent would show up or not. He?d either win or lose. But as Goutetsu thought these thoughts he knew he was oversimplifying. One thing jumped out at him?that is very possible?very likely for someone of his breed to win and lose at the same time in the same battle. But Goutetsu could easily jump back to simplification. Either his opponent was stronger than him or he (or she) wasn?t. But still this one felt different, so he told Afaik about it. In a roundabout way. He talked hypothetically about his death, about how if it happened Afaik would turn the compound into an orphanage. That made Goutetsu smile. Even though Goutetsu didn?t exactly outright say he might die today to his wife he thought she got the message.

Goutetsu sipped tea in the kitchen as his other hand fumbled with the old bead necklace his master had given him. Thoughts of the past didn?t leave him with regret, only the happiness of nostalgia. Once Goutetsu was satisfied with the tea he put his necklace back on and walked to the door.

?Afaik!?

?Yes dear??

?I?ll always love you.?

?The feeling is mutual you senile old man.?

Goutetsu walked out of the door and began to stroll down the beaten path to the woods. He felt like some meditation. Then his eye caught a figure down the road. He wore the clothes of a fighter.

++++++++++++++++++

Retsu opened the door, wondering what caused the weak knock. He found a little boy staring back at him. His hair was a dark brown and a little too long. He had a stern face for an adult, nevermind a child.

?I?m here to speak with Master Gouken.?

?Any business with Gouken you can tell me. My name is Retsu.?

?Well Retsu sir?my name is Dan Hibiki. I am the son of Go Hibiki. I wish to train here and become strong.?

?Oh! Well?what a strange day for us. Two new students within a couple of hours! I would also be your possible master.?

?Yes possible master Retsu.?

?Ha! You?re a funny one. But Dan Gouken is not here right now. Please leave an essay on why you should become a student here. You know, for us to look over later.? Retsu wanted to mess with the kid a little.

?Um…yes of course! Can I bring the essay back tomorrow??

?Take longer than that to write the essay! What do you think this is? Put more than one day of thought into-?

?But I?ve thought about becoming a student here longer than a day! I?ve-?

Retsu had always wondered about seeing just how badly these prospective students wanted to be trained, and why they wanted to be trained. He felt there needed to be some sort of test and that Gouken was a little too accepting. Afterall?you didn?t just want anybody.

?And what makes you think it is so easy to become a student here? Just because you are the son of Go Hibiki??

?I just wanted to see-? Retsu was satisfied with this kid so far. He didn?t need to mess with him anymore.

?Come back tomorrow and we?ll see. Same time. No promises though Dan Hibiki.?

++++++++++++++++++

?Gouki; what brings you back here?? Goutetsu knew the answer to his question; he was just anticipating his former student?s response.

?I have come to challenge you Goutetsu. To a fight without limits. I must know who is the absolute strongest between us.?

Goutetsu nodded as he stroked his beard.

?An ultimate contest. In the event of your death where would you like to be buried?? Goutetsu stated the question so effortlessly it sounded like he was talking about a mid day chore.

?It does not matter.?

?Fine, Afaik will take care of me if I perish.?

A breeze began to lightly blow, playing with Goutetsu?s long solitary braid and leaves on the ground. It was a dull sky, the sun felt far away and hidden. The clouds were an formless, shapeless grey ocean inching along the horizon. He heard the caw of a raven in the distance.

?So, shall we get started?? Goutetsu smiled as he unbuttoned his shirt, exposing his bare chest. It was too cold to take the shirt off completely. Goutetsu drew a deep breath as he cracked his knuckles; staring at Gouki with a concentrated gaze. He let the air out of his lungs and opened his mouth to speak.

?Feel free to attack me, I am ready.?

Gouki instantly obliged. Throwing a quick punch that Goutetsu effortlessly slapped away, followed by a flurry of punches that Goutetsu easily avoided by sharp turns or his body and head. A hop backward allow Goutetsu to dodge a sweeping horizontal chop and Goutetsu capitalized on the opportunity. A simple and direct straight punch to the face that made Gouki stagger.

?You?re going to have to fight harder than that if you plan on besting me.? Goutetsu said coldly. Gouki growled as he shot out a high side-kick that Goutetsu sprang backward to avoid. Before Goutetsu could regain his footing Gouki was upon him; kicking and punching while chasing his former master deeper into the woods. Little skirmishes. Gouki would meet Goutetsu, they would exchange a few attacks then Goutetsu would spring backwards and Gouki would rush after him. Gouki knew he was being lead somewhere but did not care. Let the old man have his fun.

Tall, old trees now surrounded the two fighters as Gouki hacked furiously at Goutetsu to no result. Goutetsu suddenly stopped bouncing backward, deflected a roundhouse and viciously punched Gouki in the chest, knocking him off the ground and crashing into a tree. The force shook leaves from the ancient branches, the free leaves floating around Gouki?s slumped body, his back against the base of the trunk.

?You?re not strong enough yet Gouki. Perhaps you should just walk away to train. To get stronger to fight another day.?

Gouki chuckled as he lifted his head; an odd smile on his face.

?You know nothing of my strength Goutetsu. I am not the boy that left your care years ago. The longer we fight, the closer you are to your defeat.?

Goutetsu closed his eyes as the sneer from his reckless youth showed itself.

?Then get up and prove it. Because right now I think you are all talk.?

As if he were more than human, Gouki rocketed forward and punched Goutetsu square in the jaw, rocking his head backward and making him stagger a few steps. Goutetsu recovered in a flash to catch Gouki?s wrist. Gouki pulled back the outstretched limb and attacked with a spinning back kick that Goutetsu avoided. Before Goutetsu could respond a gou-hadoken burrowed into his chest, dragging his body several feet but still he stood. Gouki sprang high into the air and fired off another gou-hadoken. Goutetsu swatted away the ki blast, it smashing into a nearby tree, destroying the base of the trunk.

Before the remains of the tree could crash to the ground Goutetsu and Gouki were trading blows again, their faces blank. Gouki attempted a vicious roundhouse, Goutetsu ducked the kick and Gouki?s attack tore off a piece of a trunk.

Goutetsu responded with a gou-shoryuken that sent Gouki sailing into the air; then crashing to the ground with a hard thud. Goutetsu straightened his posture and folded his arms as his once student groaned to his feet.

?Gouki. Why did you challenge me? You are strong, but not strong enough.?

?I came here to kill you or die trying Goutetsu. You?and what you represent are old relics of our art that need to be smashed and swept away.?

?And what have you contributed to Ansatsuken Gouki? What have you added to our style that renders me obsolete??

?I will show you. I will show you what you kept from me, hid from me! The secret to great power.? Gouki clenched his fists as he shouted. Gouki began to turn inward, letting his anger boil. He had found satsui no hado for himself and he believed it to be the method to become stronger. He opened the gates and funneled every thought of malice, pain and humiliation into his desire for strength; and it began to bring his uninhibited power to the forefront.

Goutetsu noticed a visible purple aura surround Gouki, it seemed to breathe the way it moved; it was as if Gouki?s anger and will for power had possessed his body.

?Satsui no hado?that is your secret? Becoming a beserker?! I?m insulted. Gouki you are a brat. Gouken was always stronger than you and it drove you insane. You could never be satisfied with your own power, always comparing yourself to others. Gouki you are a fool, I will do what I can to show you how weak you truly are.? Goutetsu?s facial expression was now hard as stone as he took stance.

?Goutetsu! I AM stronger than you! I will break you and him! I will show you both!!?

Gouki rocketed forward with a fire burning in his eyes. He drop-kicked Goutetsu into a tree. Before Goutetsu could regain his wits Gouki was right in front of him, punching him across his head, maing his head rock from side to side. In between an attack Goutetsu delivered a fierce uppercut followed by a gou-shoryuken. Gouki flew back but Goutetsu caught up with him to bury his fist into Gouki?s chest; sending him sailing even farther. Goutetsu dashed after Gouki to finally strike with a brutal flying kick that spiked Gouki to the ground in a cloud of dust. Gouki did not move as Goutetsu walked over to him. He did not move as Goutetsu folded his arms 6 feet away from him. Goutetsu looked up at the sky again. This time he could see the sun, and it looked like just a yellow ball.

Goutetsu launched a gou-hadoken at the still Gouki. Gouki leapt to one knee and rolled out of the way. As the ki ball struck a tree trunk Gouki nailed Goutetsu with a gou shoryuken. Goutetsu composed himself in the air and landed on his feet 10 feet away from Gouki.

?You are stronger than when you left. But you are a fool to think you were that much stronger.? Goutetsu spat on the ground, then noted to himself that there was still more blood in his mouth. He swallowed it.

?Almost everything. But as you said once?..our art is an evolving art.? The purple aura around Gouki was now a thin glow off his flesh. Goutetsu ran up to Gouki and faked a punch with his left hand. As Goutestu went to to punch with his right he ate an elbowstrike that dropped him to his knee. On one knee Goutetsu blocked a kick attempt and guarded against a gou hadoken that made him stumble backwards after it connected. Gouki let Goutetsu stand to his feet. Gouki let Goutetsu compose himseld and return to stance. Then he pounced again, and straight punch that Goutetsu slapped away was followed by a jumping front kick that connected. Goutetsu then slapped away two more front kicks, deflected 5 more punches and avoided another horizontal chop to be caught by the spinning elbow that made made his arms go limp. Gouki fired another gou hadoken; this one was so powerful all the purple flash from the attack made him shield his own eyes. He jumped backward and stood there. He knew parts of him ached in pain but at the moment it did not register to him as significant. The throbbing he only found annoying.

Out of the trees shot a white gou-hadoken, Gouki went to slap it away but it overpowered him in an instant. It slammed into his body in a brilliant flash and then Gouki was on the ground 15 feet back. Gouki at once calmly rose to his feet. He took stance.

Goutetsu rocketed forward. Gouki clenched his fists and did not move, waiting for him. Goutetsu stopped a couple inches from Gouki and ducked under a roundhouse kick. Goutetsu dodged a straight punch and punched Gouki once across the jaw and delivered three more punches to his body while Gouki staggered. Goutetsu charged to continue but Gouki recovered to lash out with a sidekick. Goutetsu caught his leg with both hands and threw him to the ground a few feet away. Gouki launched a gou hadoken from the ground, it was a fast and desparate purple fireball that kicked up dust as it sped towards Goutetsu. Goutetsu launched a white ball of ki himself that shattered Gouki?s ki attack and Goutetsu?s within a foot of Goutetsu?s body.

?This will end soon.? Goutetsu thought as Gouki charged at him. When they met they began fighting furiously, exchanging blows like berserkers. Goutetsu ignored the pain from blows inflicted on him and Gouki just did not feel them enough. Gouki elbowed Goutetsu across the face, knocking his back against a tree trunk. Gouki wasted no time, pouncing on Goutetsu punching feverishly while Goutetsu held up a resilient guard stance. There would be the perfect moment to counteract; Goutetsu knew he would see it when it presented itself. As Gouki attacked the tree trunk behind Goutetsu began to splinter and crack. Disturbed leaves rained down upon the both of them.

As Gouki stepped back to charge a powerful ki attack Goutetsu took his opportunity, the heel of his foot knocking Gouki?s chin and body upward. A well placed jumping high kick. As Gouki fell Goutetsu fired a gou hadoken that slammed into Gouki?s falling body with tremendous force, knocking him through the last wall of trees. Gouki flew totally out of the woods and he came crashing down into a field clearing. Goutetsu wiped blood from his mouth as he walked over to Gouki?s currently motionless body.

He stood over his former student, his usually warm face devoid of emotion and his hands behind his back.

?Rise to your feet.?

Gouki attempted a sweep but Goutetsu casually avoided it. Gouki leapt up and attempted a punch but Goutetsu caught his fist and punched him so hard in the face it would have shattered the average man?s jaw. Gouki fell to one knee, his head low spitting blood.

?You?re only helping me??

Gouki looked at Goutetsu, smiling with blood oozing through his teeth. Gouki shot up and kneed Goutetsu in the ribs; breaking one. Goutetsu elbowed Gouki in the temple and jumped back, holding his side with the opposite arm. Gouki didn?t chase after him, only straightened his posture and folded his arms, his face painted in anticipation. His eyes wide and wild. The aura around Gouki began to change; it was like purple mist rose from his body.

Goutetsu slowly shifted back into fighting stance, his face staunch.

?Well Gouki?go ahead and show me.?

A second later both men sprang into the air and clashed with each other; exchanging blows for a fraction of a second before landing on the ground. Gouki did not waste time; he lunged for Goutetsu the moment the ball of his foot touched the grass. For both fighters time began to expand. Gouki cocked back his fist and fired off a straight punch that Goutetsu defended against by putting his forearms close to his chest in the shape of an ?x?. Goutetsu tried a quick roundhouse but Gouki caught his leg and began to flip him. A hard chop to Gouki?s shoulder foiled the attempt and in response Goutetsu received a backfist across the face. Gouki then tried a gou hadoken at brutally close range. With a well placed kick to Gouki?s outstretched arms the ki blast?s trajectory was thrown off, it whizzed past the target and into the woods behind them both. Goutetsu then grabbed Gouki by his arm and flipped him forcefully away. Gouki did a quick recovery in mid-air and landed on his feet. The entire exchange lasted only 4 seconds.

Gouki suddenly turned and dashed forward, running as if he knew where he was going. Goutetsu followed, firing gou hadokens along the way but missing everytime. They ran for several minutes until Gouki suddenly stopped and turned back around to fire a gou hadoken of his own. Goutetsu slapped the attack away without breaking his sprint so he could jump up and drop kick Gouki so hard he flew 30 feet back before slamming against a rock wall.

As Gouki got up his mind caught hold of something: the sound of rushing water.

?You remember this place. It is where you and your brother first learned how to properly meditate.? Goutetsu?s voice had a hint of his old warmth to it.

?Fitting that I prove my superiority to you here.? Gouki said emotionlessly.

Goutetsu looked down at the hand that deflected Gouki?s ki. It throbbed and burned. Gouki had changed. His blows felt like his fists and feet were coated in acid. He was different now. He was a vessel for the killing intent and it flowed though him like an endless steady stream. Goutetsu wondered if perhaps Gouki had mastered the mode of being, seeing as how he is able to stay in it for so long without burning out. His ki had a deep purple color to it and it rose from his body like smoke from a bonfire or like saliva dripping from a hungry predator?s open jaws. Goutetsu remembered that Gouken?s ki now had a blue hue to it. Gouken too had changed. He had conquered satsui no hado within himself while Gouki embraced it. He knew in his heart one day the two brothers would clash violently. But for now Goutetsu was staring at Gouki, and he was wondering just how much longer this fight would last. Goutetsu silenced his inner thoughts by drawing in a deep breath. He cleared his mind and let the air out. He then charged, a moderate jog to conserve strength towards his opponent. Gouki dashed forward, water splashing around him as his footsteps stabbed though the ankle high water.

Gouki stopped bothering to guard against his opponent?s attacks and barely made an effort to avoid them now. He felt no pain from them; his only mission was to draw more of his former master?s blood. Goutetsu was putting everything he had into the fight but for every blow he connected to Gouki he received five. This continued for minutes until Gouki landed a punch to Goutetsu?s stomach that jolted Goutetsu?s whole body and made him scream in blood. A second later an elbow crashed down unto the top of Goutetsu?s head that made him collapse into the water face first. Gouki picked up Goutetsu?s limp body and stared at it, focusing his power for a technique he had been waiting to perform for too long in his mind.

?The famed shun goku shatsu?heh?it won?t work on me son?? Goutetsu?s voice was weak, a pained whisper.

Gouki paused, his grip on Goutetsu?s wet shirt slackened.

?My conscience is clear of guilt?of shame?fear. It won?t work on me?I have no demons you can turn against me?so stop with the parlor tricks and kill me like a man!?

Goutetsu?s voice gained strength again as he broke Gouki?s hold on him and knocked him away with a messatsu gou hado. Gouki sailed backwards and crashed into the water as Goutetsu returned to his feet. The old master turned his back on his opponent as he began to limp away, choosing the place for his last stand.

A few minutes away he was there. A clearing with a sheer cliff just 15 feet away. It was his favorite place in the whole world. Goutetsu looked out at the sun and sky for a brief moment before turning around to find Gouki 10 feet away from him.

?It has been a good fight Gouki. You are very strong. But you?ve never been a weakling. It is such a shame you cannot see that.? Goutetsu smiled.

?Just promise me that you will pass down what you know someday. That is all I wish. I do not mind dying as long as it is in battle with a worthy adversary and the teachings of our great art continue. Now?? Goutetsu spat blood on the ground and slid into fighting stance one last time.

?Let us finish.?

Goutetsu?s blows were few but the strongest Gouki had ever felt. Gouki knew Goutetsu wanted to make him remember how his fists felt. Gouki felt honored to engage in this last battle and he fought like it. Clean, precise devastating attacks that prepared Goutetsu for the great beyond. The two fought like this for only a few moments, edging closer to the cliff. Finally Gouki knocked Goutetsu to his knees and Goutetsu did not rise to his feet again.

Goutetsu slowly reached for the bead necklace on him and tossed it to the ground before Gouki.

?It is done. You have proved yourself. Now…do it.?

Gouki hesitated.

?DO IT!!?

A powerful messatsu gou hado erupted from Gouki?s palms and slammed into Goutetsu, engulfing him in purple flame. The ball of purple flame leapt off the edge of the cliff and tumbled down until it could no longer be seen. The cliff was still as Gouki stood in silence, unable to formulate thoughts or words. He silently picked up the worn and bloody bead necklace and placed it over his head. A condor sailed above him in the deep grey sky.

?Farewell?.?

Chapter XXII: At Rest

Gouken I have some bad news. Retsu stepped through the doorway to the kitchen and stood. He was wringing his hands and searching Goukens face. Gouken was seated at the table having lunch. Ryu had finished his lunch and was outside.

Goutetsu is dead.

Howdid you-

Everyone else I care about is already here. From the way you approached me I could tell it was something serious.

Well, Im almost relieved. Retsu exhaled deeply. Gouken managed a weak smile.

He was found deep in the woods, he was pretty beaten up and not from the fall off the cliff. Retsu wondered if he was being to blunt with the details just after he finished speaking.

So he was in a fight. Against someone skilled. Gouken took a sip of his tea and tapped the table with his fingers. He was pretending to take this well excellently.

You think it was Gouki? Retsu stated his question carefully and slowly, in all the years he had known Gouken his brother was always a soft spot. Gouken would sometimes go on long monologes about Gouki, reminiscing and sometimes complaining. But those times were rare, only a few times a year. When Gouken was not venting about Gouki he did not mention him at all.

Im pretty sure it was. GoukiI havent seen him in so long. I fear what he has become left to himself.

We should go find him and talk with him. Fight him if it comes to it. He might have murdered your master

Gouken sat his tea down and stood up straight.

First, Goutetsu was no fool. Those kinds of people just dont die by happenstance. He let it get that far and accepted the consequences; it was no murder. I guess he felt his job was done. I just wish he told me before Gouken trailed off as he sat back down. His faade of calmness was beginning to unravel. His eyes quivered as he took another sip of tea.

It that how we are supposed to die? It just doesnt seem

Fair? Retsu couldnt think of a better word than that.

That word doesnt quite fit. I mean life isnt fair.but who decides when it is kill or be killed and when it is just a match? Do we have to kill each other? Gouken stared at the floor and let his cup of tea sit on the table, his hands in his lap.

I dont know Gouken. But I know it is the fighters in the fight that decide just what is at stake. Some realize completely what they are bettingand others do not. Retsu did not know what else to say but was satisfied in his answer. He stroked his bald head and looked out the window.

Yes…at least Goutetsu knew. I dont know about Gouki.

What are you going to do about Gouki? Will you challenge-

We have students to train, we cant waste time chasing Gouki around. If he wants us, he will find us. If he wants me, he will find me. I am not hiding and we will go from there. Goukens voice had regained some confidence and stability.

We only have one student so far Gouken.

Tell Dan hes hired. Ken will be here in time also. This summer.

So youve decided.

++++++++++++++++++

His hands still smelled of blood. Even now, well after the battle had ended. How long had it been since the battle? It had been close to a week since then.

Gouki had defeated his master. A duel that Gouki emerged the victor. Gouki felt like he was missing an emotion concerning the fight. Shouldnt he feel like he had achieved something? Instead he was focused on what was next. What more was there to be done? Which direction to go in next?

Gouki sat cross-legged on a hill, overlooking a barley field.

How could he get stronger?

++++++++++++++++++

Dan.

Yes Master Retsu?

On this sunny day such strong winds seemed slightly out of place. It made the grass sway in rhythm to the branches and leaves on the trees. Dan and Retsu stood amongst all this, warming up. Ryu and Gouken were off somewhere training.

Im different than Gouken. Hed probably just start you off learning his punches and kicks. Or maybe throw you into a river. Retsu chuckled, Dan fought an urge to shiver.

Your first lesson from me will be from combat. I want you to develop good instincts, so I will break you down a bit. Then Goutetsu and I will build you back up. Do you know how to fight Dan Hibiki?

I know a little. My father-

I know about your father. So you know a little Muay Thai huh? Retsu paced in a circle while rubbing his neck with his left hand, his right arm bent and his right hand on his waist.

Well give me everything, anything you have. After all youre just a kid.

Retsus shirt dropped to the ground in such a way that it looked beautiful, focused and routine. Dan swallowed hard and brought his clenched fists up to just below his eyes.

Retsu began to crack his feet and stretch.

Lets get started.

The wind weakly swept around both of them.

++++++++++++++++++

Alright young lad. Your father wants me to train you and I agreed of course. From now on you will refer to me as master, or teacher, or sensi or Mr. Gouken or whatever. Understand Ken?

Yes Mister Gou-master! Thank you for accepting me as your student! Kens eyes were happy as he smiled. His hair was a sand colored mop that was nearing the point of obscuring his vision. His hair stopped with his ears. He had finished unpacking a few hours ago and after the tour, after the meal and a change of clothes here he was. He wore a white gi. Goukens particular outfit used to be white years ago but was now an even cream. When Ken looked at Gouken in his gi he wanted to tear the sleeves off of his own. But Ken resolved to himself that it could wait until he had bigger muscles.

It isnt a problem. I see a lot of potential in you. Now dont worry the training will start later. You can go play. In fact I want you to meet your new friend Ive been talking about. His name is Ryu. Hes off practicing Im sure.

Ken ran off as soon as Gouken finished his sentence. A few minutes later he found the young boy attempting to meditate. Ryu sat on the ground in the shade of a large boulder. The boulder was strange, there were no more around the gathering of trees and bushes as far as Ken or Ryu could see. As Ken approached the boulder he looked up and around, and was reminded how much he loved the way a forest plays with the suns light.

Hey! So youre Ryu?

The boy opened one eye and looked at the young boy with blonde hair. Ken didnt lean over and Ryu did not rise.

Yes.

My name is Ken Masters. I hope youre humble because if youre not its going to be a rough time adjusting to always being in second place to me.

Ryu closed his eye and went back to meditating.

++++++++++++++++++

Form is very important. You have to have good form with your attacks and defenses and practice with correct form in mind. Get your body used to the most effective method. So at a moments notice

Gouken suddenly sprang high into the air, fired a blue hadoken into the distance, did some quick punches and kicks in mid-air and landed perfectly back on the ground.

At a moments notice you are ready. Not ready to be beaten into a pulp but ready to be effective.

The sun was high in the sky, drawing sweat from human skin and making dogs lazy. On a day like this water tastes extraordinarily good and a late nap was treasured. Especially for the three students standing side by side deep in instruction from Gouken.

Ryu wondered why he wasnt worried, anxious or exhausted. He was in heaven. He was learning how to become a fighter, a disciple, and more of a complete person hopefully. He felt satisfied in what he was currently doing, listening to his teacher.

Ken felt an essence of goodness. He felt he was on his way to something worth working hard for. He wondered if all of Master Goukens speeches were this good.

Dans eyes were shimmering with amazement, his mouth half open and half cocked in a sneer. He wondered why Retsu has yet to throw balls of energy.

Let me ask you young ones something.

The students thoughts immediately ceased and all that remained was attentive anticipation.

What do you three think is the ultimate achievement for a martial artist?

When you have the strength and skill to defeat any opponent that challenges you. Said Ken, grinning with and for his answer.

Is that all Ken?

I believe so Master Gouken.

Gouken still wasnt quite used to being called master but he figured with time he could get comfortable with the title.

Let me tell you why your answer is dangerous first.

Ken winced on the inside, expecting to get scolded.

Power is not just evident when it is used against enemies. Remember this, the truly powerful do not need to demonstrate their strength. People already know.

Also, it is foolish to think you can defeat all challengers. There will always be someone that can defeat you. Whether by pure strength or other means. To aspire to be saythe strongest person in the world is dangerous because a lust for power can consume you. It can consume because you are validating yourself against others. Are you following me boys?

They both nodded simultaneously. Gouken stroked his beard.

And if you only determine your worth against others you will be hard pressed to be at peace. Wow, I sound like my master. Anyway, the best goal you can set is to be the best you can be for yourself and no one else.

What about protecting things you care about Master? Protecting peopleweaker than you. People that need help againstI dont know. Bad guys. Ryus eyes drifted towards the surroundings as he trailed off, but once he was finished his gaze shifted back to Gouken for his response. He found Gouken grinning.

That is also a great one! Wanting to be powerful to be better prepared to protect.that is an excellent answer. I take back one thing I said earlier. I really cant say what is the best goal. There are so many different good ones.

How do you know which one is a good one and which one is a bad one?! Dan suddenly blurted out. He quickly covered his mouth out of reflex.

Wisdom Dan Hibki. Gouken figured he probably sounded vague to Dan, but the answer would do.

Master…I dont mean to be rude-

Ken go on. Well all know if youre being rude.

Okbut isnt competition fuel for improvement? I meanwith a strong rivalry dont both sides have more of a reason to get better?

In most cases yes. Just one needs to be careful to keep the rivalry healthy. Anyway what was I talking about? Gouken scratched his back while he absent mindedly looked up at the sky.

The ultimate goal of a martial artist master.

Thank you. The ultimate goal for any martial artist is to one day never have to fight bloody battles filled with malice. To stop killing and destroying and instead inspire and create. That is the highest level I think. It is the highest level for me. But you wont get there until youre an old man, if you get there at all. But isnt it worth striving for? Gouken smiled to himself and for his students. The students nodded.

Alright Im done talking for now. Im going back home. Dan come with me, Retsu would like to practice with you one more time today.

Gouken started walking back towards the house, with Dan trailing behind him. Ryu and Ken stood unmoving.

Ken leaned in to whisper to Ryu:

The ultimate goal for a fighter is to not fight?! Do you believe that mumbo jumbo?!

Yes, I think I do. Ryu smiled a quiet smile. Ken shot him a funny look.

Do you want to practive movements?

Yes.

Like youre ever going to use them with that attitude.

Once Ryu and Ken walked through the front door hours later they began to feel more at ease. The table was set, everyones food was on a plate with a cup of green tea beside it.

Thank Retsu for cooking. Gouken said from his seat. Dan then emerged from a back room, slightly limping and holding a bloody ball of napkins to his nose, looking tired and slightly angry.

What happened to Dan? Ken asked.

He sparred with me. He did very well. Hes tough, he did not give up. Said Retsu as he sat down.

Maybe he should have! Ken pantomimed a club drummers joke rim shot.

Yeah yeah. Give me a couple of days and youll be looking like I am now. Dan murmured with his napkin pile under his nose.

Boys. Youve got a little before sundown to do whatever you want. But when the sky starts to turn a deep orange come find me. Gouken never wore a watch.

Umwhat time would that be about master? Ken couldnt imagine being as old as Gouken was and still barely acquainted with the always present clock.

Lets say 7:45. Retsu added then picked up his cup of tea and comfortable exited the kitchen.

++++++++++++++++++

Gouki wandered around the alien landscape, curious and satisfied. He happened upon it when his small boat went off course hours ago, and something told him to get out and investigate.

The ground looked like it had always known struggle and upheaval. There were patches where grass fought and succeeded to a degree of a good space where a team of men could all lay down and be comfortable.

The other areas of ground had small, bumblebee sized gravel that was loose the first inch, but underneath was firm and eternal. A greater part of the island was littered with sculptures and carvings. Some appeared to be gravestones, other religious and yet more that Gouki could not decipher any idea what they were for, did or who made them. The entire island felt slightly colder to the senses than the average piece of land. And the fact that Gouki had seen no marks of recent human activity and very little animal life seemed to confirm his suspicions.

On higher elevation the ground was craggy and rough. Some pebbles had edges so sharp they could draw blood. This island was untamable.

Gouki felt like this environment suited him. His ever ready reflexes relaxed here and the rolling boiling of his spirit slackened to a simmer. Yet he didnt feel weaker, actually he felt like could be a better fighter here, like a relaxed Gouki could easily channel most of his strength with little more than a thought.

This island would suit him well. This island of shadows, elusive and forebodingGoutentou island.would be home.

++++++++++++++++++

Afaik knew already when she was told, and she did what she had to do. She identified the body, had a nice funeral and buried him on a nice spot with a dignified headstone that read (beside the obvious) at rest. She thinks he would have liked it.

Next she opened her orphanage that also became a bed and breakfast. Afaik was happy when others were happy, and she dealt with everyone with a genuine interest and love. She always thought of Goutetsu, but not with sadness. She thought of the memories with fondness, she thought of Goutetsu and would smile. She was confident Goutetsu was happy and somehow they would cross paths again. Friends and loved ones always do.

Chapter XXIII: Oyaji

Once again we move forward a handful of seasons. They can move quickly and effortlessly if one is in a secure and comfortable position, if one is at least partially content with life. Such are the feelings of the three students and their two teachers. Years have passed, and now we find Ryu at 15, Ken at 15 and Dan at 19. Gouken is 38 and Gouki 35. Retsu is 36.

++++++++++++++++++

The final match of the tournament; Ryu was proud that he had made it this far. Gouken didn?t seem surprised. Now winning the entire competition seemed possible.

Ryu fought by the book in this decent sized tournament, approaching each fight as a series of actions that either determined victory or defeat. He struck accurate and efficient blows; but of course not everything went exactly as Ryu planned, it was still combat. He caught elbows to the head and kicks in the chest so deep they burned not with pain, but with an overwhelming numbness. But nothing defeated him yet. Now he stood on the brink of significant victory.

The tournament was invite only, underground and you only got in if you knew what was going on. It took the organizers some convincing to let Ryu even enter, they feared for the young man?s safety.

The two last fighters stood in the center of a garden. The garden was a part of an old compound built for a noble family, but now belonging to organized crime as a place to host events like these as discreetly as possible. The night sky was in full bloom but the crowd was still around; only by now the sake had made the spectators rowdy, slightly reckless and most of all entranced by the fights.

Ryu?s opponent had very little steam left. Every time he was knocked down he came to his feet slower than the previous time. His stance had grown sloppy and his eyes were drained. Some of the spectators had labeled him a fool who didn?t know when to quit and others saw a glimpse of the determined, fearless but disadvantaged warrior that is praised across cultures and history. Sometimes even when they end up losing.

Ryu saw one last, well placed blow, one that would end the match for certain and little else. Ryu did not want to injure him, only to defeat him.

Yen notes sailed through the air as last minute bets flew from the mouths of the mob. Something was going to happen soon, but for now neither fighter engaged one another.

?Come on! You?re not statues! Fight already!? One man shouted, waving a slip of paper in the air.

Ryu watched as his opponent steeled himself, mustered some last bits of strength for the last round. Ryu already knew what to do; he had a plan. A simple kick to the chest would drop him. His kick would easily break the weak guard. With that, Ryu?s final opponent would fall.

Ryu watched in stance as his opponent began to sag to the side, but it was only for a fraction of a second, enough to spring toward Ryu in a last burst of adrenaline.

His opponent was faster than usual, enough to close the optimum distance of a front kick before Ryu could notice. Ryu then caught a fist to the face strong enough to make him crazily stroll backward. Ryu tasted fresh blood in his mouth, the mix of metal and salt that conjured a handful of feelings.

Ryu stared at his opponent?s face. He barely stood, his torso hunched over and his mouth hung loose. But his fists stood defiant of the rest of his body, clenched tight. Ryu focused into his opponent?s fierce eyes, and in a flash they became a mirror. He saw himself. Ryu realized that his opponent was giving everything he had, pulling from the corners of his spirit and body just to keep fighting. The same thing Ryu would do in the situation.

The match ended softly but quickly, with a few skirmishes followed by Ryu?s opponent crashing to the ground from a wobbly fighting stance and not returning to his feet. While Ryu was declared the winner his mind drifted elsewhere. Ryu could tell he had had just grown. Ryu felt like he had just caught himself learning. From that moment on Ryu?s love for the fight grew in scope and density. Ryu now had a new level of respect for all fighters, and for combat in general. The elaborate Darwinian dance, the fight would go on forever, and Ryu wanted to spend as much time as he could, to be strong enough?worthy enough to commune with such elementary tests of the spirit and body. He no longer wanted to be the best and he no longer feared being the worst. He felt there was so much else that mattered more.

++++++++++++++++++

The cicadas, crickets and other creatures of the woods always seemed to make the perfect background music. It relaxed Gouken as he sat on the porch with his old friend Retsu. Drinking, talking and enjoying the night.

?They?ve all grown in so many ways, our students.?

?Yes. Ryu showed much promise even when he first arrived. We both could see it and that is rare. You seem to see limitless potential in everyone.?

?Well, really doesn?t everyone have limitless potential??

?Yeah, but some people have more potential than others realistically. Some people are just stronger than others. Wait-? Retsu paused abruptly, as if he just understood that a joke was being played on him.

?Remind me why we always seem to talk about the same subjects through the years??

?Because we discuss a lot of things, we are going to repeat ourselves eventually.?

?I don?t want to just ease into senility Gouken.?

++++++++++++++++++

?Man?Master Gouken is kinda weird. I can?t be the only one that sees it.?

Ken stared at the wooden dummy he was practicing on as he spoke. Ryu was 15 feet away, motionless in his horse stance. Dan was 20 feet away from the both of them, kicking and punching the air while shouting exclamations and taunts to no one. Autumn would not be ignored.

?Why is he weird? Because he didn?t shower his disciples with compliments and gifts? You won a stupid tournament…big deal!?

?You?re only saying that because you didn?t win anything Hibiki. In fact you haven?t entered a tournament in three years.?

?You idiot! I want to perfect my devastating techniques before I reveal them to the world!?

Fall was preparing for it?s debut. The merciless heat was making its exit, chilly winds and colored leaves were floating in again. The seasons had all the time in the world after all.

?Ryu and me winning gave Master Gouken and Retsu some more credibility. We added to their good reputation. As my Dad would say?they got good press.?

?It isn?t about that though.? Ryu?s mouth was the only thing that moved.

?Still?it is good.? Ken put extra emphasis on the word ?good?.

?I don?t think either of them care that much about good press.?

?Well what do they care about Ryu?? Dan questioned. He had stopped attacking the air and was now next to Ryu and Ken standing with his arms crossed in front of him.

?They care about us improving as human beings.?

?So they care about us getting stronger?? Ken diverted the conversation to his point a couple steps ahead.

?Yes, they do.?

?Better fighters.? Dan added. Ryu moved out of his horse stance and was now standing next to Dan, wondering what Ken was getting at.

?Then to be better fighters we need to fight them. We need to spar with them more! I mean we are champions now eh? Most of what?s out there isn?t good enough anymore.?

?We need to intensify our training! I must perfect my deadly combinations!? Dan?s eyes were skyward, with clenched fists.

?Well?you ask.?

?Let?s go right now. Come on Dan.?

?OYAJI!!?

++++++++++++++++++

Gouken took in a lungful of air, squatted and fidgeted until he was comfortable sitting Indian style. He slowly exhaled, the air making the choir of candles flicker around the modest, windowless room.

He had never attempted this before, to communicate with someone else?to have a conversation on another plane. Years ago Goutetsu mentioned that he had done it several times. As he slipped into meditation, as the world withdrew he could reach back and witness the moment, as if he were 15 again. The familiar woods, the fallen log Gouken and his master were sitting on.

?It is like concentrating on sending a spiritual beacon, if your spirit is strong enough people that know the way halfway around the world can notice it. At the same time you are reaching far for the beacon you want. It is very taxing?but obviously worth it.?

Gouken followed his master?s instructions, going on instinct. He pictured little flames, some violently flickering, some small and dim, some bright and calm. Little flames across untold distances.

?Hello Gouken?I?m glad we had that conversation years ago.?

Gouken opened his spiritual eyes to find himself in the same woods from decades ago, but in his very adult and current body?with a slight pot belly intact.

?Master? But you?re-?

?I know! I was given a gift, a little more time to with foot in the living world.?

?By who? What do you-?

?I don?t know who gave it to me, I just awoke with the knowledge of it. No I don?t have a body. Most of the time I just do what I think I?m supposed to, observe and appear to those with the desire and skill to contact me.?

?The forces over us must have rewarded you for your character and earthly work! How are you? How does it feel to be dead?!?

?Very freeing. But Gouken I?m not the one you should be talking to.? Goutetsu paused after he spoke this time and Gouken nodded slowly.

?Can you connect me to him??

?Yes.?

?Can I speak with you more before??

?Of course. But don?t expect me to reveal much of anything to you. My role is different now?I exited the stage.?

?With all due respect Master Gouken, of course your role is different. You?re dead! You?ve been dead for 7 years.?

?I keep forgetting it has been that long. A year over there is like a day here.?

?Have you seen my students??

?Of course. Your take on our art is less primal to me at the core. Yet it still works because your students are strong, and they are taught well.?

?Even Dan??

?Dan is more Retsu?s student am I correct??

?Yes but-?

?Yes he has potential. But his spirit isn?t in the right place yet to fully unlock them.?

?Good. Ryu hasn?t completely conquered Satsui No Hadou has he??

?Even within you it still lurks. It is small and weak because you do not channel or feed it. No it will never go away totally.?

Gouken frowned, Goutetsu chuckled. It reminded the master of Gouken when he was much younger, grimacing at the amount of work Goutetsu had requested from him day after day.

?I?m going to let you two converse in private now. Do you have a last question??

?How do you feel about Gouki?your student and my brother?taking your life??

?I?m proud of him. I don?t mean to boast, but I wasn?t an easy person to defeat.?

?But he didn?t have to kill you.?

?It was a formal challenge Gouken. As serious as they can get. If he had not killed me I would have killed him. It must sound repulsive to you, but that is how it is in some moments. You are trying to remove the killing intent for future generations?..that is admirable. But some people who are used to the old ways?know only that??

?And it is hard to change.?

Goutetsu nodded, and looked at Gouken. He held his gaze until he casually and soundlessly faded away.

?Farewell Master.?

?Gouken.?

Gouken turned around to find Gouki squatting on the ground propped against a rock, his arms resting on his folded legs with his back slightly arched away from the rock. He looked cast in shadows. The purple aura around Gouki?s form was a razor thin line around his entire body.

?Gouki. It has been too long.? Gouken searched for a hint of warmth from his brother, but he could only discern Gouki?s guarded exterior, with the face of a diplomat.

?I hear you have gotten a lot stronger through Satsui No Hadou.?

?Yes. I hear you have turned your back on it, and taught your students a weaker version of our art.?

?I made a choice. I am better for it. So what you will, but my students are not weak at all. They constantly surprise me with their skill and strength.?

?They are not as strong as they could be.?

?You haven?t even met them.?

?I don?t need to. A weak master makes weak students.?

?If I remember correctly, you were the weak one Gouki. Not me.? Gouken watched as Gouki?s aura thickened considerably and began to slowly pulse. Gouken said nothing more; he wanted to hear what his brother said next first. Gouki however waited before he spoke.

?You are in a zoo, while I am in the jungle. I am more powerful than you are now, and I think I have been for years. I only continue to grow more powerful while you weaken.?

?You fool!?

The pause in conversation after his response lasted a little too long for Gouken.

?You want to fight don?t you? Like the agreement you and Goutetsu fought under??

?Yes.?

?When??

?When you tell me you are ready to die. When you are able to fight as nothing else mattered.?

?I want to guide my students just a little more. A few more years. Then I can give you the fight you want.?

?Fine. I will be awaiting that day. I hope you will be prepared??

?Don?t disappoint me Gouki.?

Gouki?s form began to flicker as his words carried more of an echo.

?Goodbye for now, brother.?

Gouken sat alone in the woods of his mind for a few more thoughts, then surfaced to find himself back in the same candlelit room he sat down in. He noticed the sound of footsteps drawing closer outside the door. Gouken found himself breathing in deep and quickly, his mouth opening and closing and in time to his chest expanding and retracting. Gouken noticed sweat on his chin forming a droplet, about to fall off to the floor.

?Did it work?? Retsu spoke through the closed door.

?Yes. I even met Goutetsu.?

?Very interesting, how do you feel? Do you still want to spar with all of us??

?Yes. Can you warm up with them first? I need a moment.?

?We?ll start in 10 minutes.? Of course Retsu knew Gouken never wore a watch and ignored clocks, but he liked to give a number. He knew whenever Gouken emerged would be soon enough. With that, Retsu?s footsteps were heard strolling away from the door and out to the students.

Gouken wondered what went wrong, if anything was wrong at all. Was this the part he was supposed to play?

++++++++++++++++++

Gouken stepped outside to find a circle carved into the dusty ground, seemingly with a large tree branch. It was 40 feet in diameter. Inside was, well everyone. It was Retsu versus the students.

Gouken tossed his shirt off and re-tied his belt while walking, his grin getting bigger and bigger. A wall of white teeth poking out of a grizzly black beard.

?We?re getting warmed up master. I?m ready for you though.?

Gouken chuckled in a way that not coming from him would sound disrespectful and arrogant, but the laugh from Gouken felt playful but still retained the slightly mocking undertone.

?I?m going to hold back less from here on out. Just letting you know. I feel I must quicken the pace.? Gouken hopped backward into stance, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

The students replied by getting into stance. The sky was beginning to turn orange; how much time would they have before nightfall?

Gouken stopped beside Retsu and quickly stretched, still grinning.

?Don?t kill em.? Retsu winked.

Chapter XXIV: The World Warrior

These years were kind to the ambient mixture of souls at Sujyaku. They all usually ate together at breakfast and dinner. Lunch was very casual, served outside often. They found peace in chores and intensity on the sparring grounds. Now we find Ryu at 19, Ken at 19 and Dan at 23. Gouken is 42 and Gouki 39. Retsu is 40.

• Japan

The chilly air of autumn was fresh as Ryu paused to inhale a lungful. As he turned his eyes back downward and continued his unrushed raking the air seemed a bit spicy and earthy in his nostrils. Leaves skittered across the damp ground in the heavy breeze.

?I want to be sent to the Street Fighter tournament with Ryu.? Dan had stopped raking to make his declaration as the late afternoon sky was beginning to darken. Gouken and Retsu wanted the porch and what was in front of it cleared of multicolored leaves. Ken, Ryu and Dan were trusted with the task.

?To get eliminated in the first round where?s the fun in that?? Ken muttered with his head down focused on the relaxing chore. Retsu was 30 feet away from the three of them squatting cross legged. He was facing them but his eyes were closed.

?I want to go to the Street Fighter tournament! I want that other plane ticket!? Dan?s holler snapped Retsu out of his approaching trance but the bald headed man did not open his eyes and raise immediately. He sat and listened to the familiar whining.

?Are you going to fight Ryu for one of the tickets?? Ken sounded playful as he asked. He chuckled as Dan?s face lost the look of concentration and he hastily continued raking.

?I am willing to settle this with a match.? Ryu said flatly as the cold breeze played with the ends of his white headband.

?No not you. I gotta fight Retsu for it.? Dan?s eyes narrowed and his voice lowered as he spoke. He felt like a villain in the midst of a plot. Ken and Ryu exchanged funny faces at each other. Retsu heard Dan and opened his eyes.

?Yes!? Retsu sprang to his feet so quickly a nearby squirrel dashed off in fright. He began slowly walking forward with quite the sneer.

?You will have to fight me for it.? His grin faded fast into a blank face as he stopped pacing. He folded his arms across his chest as he paused.

?There are only two plane tickets Dan. Ryu has the first one. That leaves one spot. Both of us want to go.? Retsu was standing still, not even blinking as he said the words. Dan was a few feet away from him; clenching his jaw with eyes narrowed on his teacher. Dan felt like a match was unavoidable. There was only the question of how serious this match would be.

?I guess?..I have to show you why I belong on that plane!? Dan balled his hands into fists at his sides as he shouted. Ken and Ryu instinctively backed away.

?Yes. You must prove to me that you deserve the trip to the World Warrior tournament in my place.? Retsu silently eased into his fighting stance. Dan spat on the ground and jumped into stance a second later. The sky was a pale grey with thin traces of clouds.

?Alright Hibiki: All your whining is about to come to an end.? Retsu unbuttoned his shirt in an agitated hurry while Dan let his rake drop limply as he began walking toward Retsu. Ryu and Ken both had stopped raking also but still held their tools for proper leaf herding.

?At least we get to see it eh?? Ken?s voice lacked the light humor it usually had. It was flat and bored as Ken stared at the ground sweeping. As if he had heard it too many times and saw a response as a wasted effort at this point.

Gouken heard the commotion from the kitchen and calmly set his cup of tea down and walked outside. There he found Dan being knocked down by Retsu while Ryu and Ken stood 20 feet away from the fight holding idle rakes.

?This is it kid. This is your chance to prove yourself.? Retsu stated calmly while still in fighting stance. Dan took in a deep breath and jumped forward. He landed in front of Retsu and stood there wailing away with chops and punches while Retsu held his bent forearms out like a wall blocking the barrage.

?You can?t stand up for long against my furious assault!? Dan grunted in between shot breaths. Retsu suddenly snapped and swatted away both of Dan?s arms. He reared back his pointed hand and delivered a crane peck in the center of Dan?s chest that made Hibiki gulp. Retsu attempted a front kick to Dan?s crotch but Dan swatted the leg away and elbowed Retsu in the ribs. Retsu staggered and Dan jumped back 5 feet.

With a flick of his wrist a blue torso sized ki ball shot from Dan?s open palm. It sped toward a smiling Retsu. After a brief pause Retsu sprang forward into the blast and slapped it to smithereens; gliding through the blue confetti toward Dan Hibiki.

The palm strike was quick. So fast the only sound was Retsu?s sleeve flapping sharply and briefly. As Retsu?s arm rested again Dan howled and doubled over, his hand over his newly bloodied mess of a face. His nose was the source of the leak.

?You are not ready.? Retsu?s voice was clear, loud and unstrained as he stood over the silent Dan.

?Perhaps if you spent less time running your-?

Dan leapt up and a burst of blue flame rose with him. Retsu stood delivering a chop to Dan?s neck that dropped Hibiki again in an instant.

?You should have let me finish.? Retsu thought to strike Dan again, but instead waited for Dan to stand again before his ?lesson? continued. Retsu was having fun and wanted to prolong it a little more.

Dan coughed and sputtered, on his knees with his palms to the ground holding up his upper body. Sweat rolled down the sticks of flesh and bone that were young Hibiki?s arms. His disheveled brown hair was in his face. His beady eyes were veiled as he looked up to Retsu and began to speak.

?You?re old?..I?m the hot new sensation!? Dan snapped up into stance and didn?t bother to re-tie his neck length hair back into a ponytail. He didn?t bother to wipe his bloody nose either and drops fell from his chin periodically. Retsu scoffed and took a single step back. He cleared his throat and got into fighting stance.

?I?ve got to go?.I?ve got to fight Sagat!? Dan shouted with a heaving chest.

?So that is what this is about?? Retsu sneered as he rushed in with a backhand across Dan?s face too fast to avoid. Dan dropped to one knee with his eyes cast downward.

?Some silly revenge fantasy-? Before Retsu could finish Dan had uppercutted him; a sudden burst of strength that left Retsu stumbling and coughing. Dan straightened his back as Retsu doubled over gagging and Dan Hibiki?s eyes burned with determination and semi rare gravity.

?It isn?t silly. It is my reason to fight. To be stronger than him. To be stronger than most people so that when I fight them they lose and I win!? Dan ran forward to attack Retsu while Retsu closed his eyes and said nothing.

?Like I said?you don?t deserve it!? Retsu took a single step back and then rocketed forward coming at Dan with his leg bent and raised. The resulting side kick drilled into Dan?s abdomen and the clipped ?OWWF? sound Dan made was the only sound as the wind rustled multicolored leaves. Retsu retracted his leg in a flash and hoped backward without taking his eyes off the still pink uniformed fighter. Dan stood quivering with an open mouth, bent knees and slack arms. Ken and Ryu watched with mouths agape as Dan?s eyes rolled back under his eyelids and he began to limply tumble backward. Once he dropped Gouken walked over to him and Retsu took his time strolling the few feet over to Hibiki also.

?I thought you were going to go easy on him? That is what I was assuming?? Gouken muttered as he inspected the unconscious Dan for injuries.

?I was going easy on him.? Retsu and Gouken were bent over the limp form of their pupil with discerning eyes.

?Eitherway Gouken it proves my point. Hibiki was here for fame. Pay for his ticket out of here, but kick his ass out of here.?

A runaway leaf dropped anchor at Dan?s nose. The comedy of the leaf having more activity than the closed eyes and slow breathing of Dan was not lost on the audience. No one laughed as the leaf quivered in the wind because Ken held his hand over his mouth.

?You?re not going. You can?t even hear me right now. Why is that?? Retsu?s voice galloped with satisfaction and snobbery. He shook his head while buttoning his shirt. Gouken looked down at Dan sleeping on his stomach and whistled a brief low pitched note.

?I?m not going to kick him out. He?s going to leave of his own free will. Isn?t that right Dan? We?re just holding you back at this point eh??

Dan didn?t respond because he was still unconscious. Retsu turned and walked away. Ryu and Ken continued raking as Gouken ambled off to get a bucket of water.

++++++++++++++++++

Ken silently peeked into Dan?s room, sticking his head through the doorway. Ken saw all of Dan?s belongings scattered on the bed and the hardwood floor. Several half packed bags were stationed upright on top of the dresser and the edge of the bed. The curtains were drawn and occasionally Dan muttered some curse to himself. Ken dropped out of sight as Dan turned around looking for something. Dan found his swimming trunks and stuffed them into a dark corner of the bag before him. He didn?t notice Ken tip toe off to confer with Ryu.

?Yeah, he?s really leaving?

++++++++++++++++++

Ryu and Ken offered to escort Dan to the bus station in the city nearby. Ken drove his Honda. The car ride was quiet, the radio droned on with a monotone news report that climbed above the sound of other cars gliding across wet pavement. The quiet was one way you could tell Dan Hibiki was not himself. The sky was a pale consistent grey. The sun was like a light-bulb covered in fog. Dan looked out the window, his face stone. Ryu closed his eyes and exhaled. Ken waited a few more minutes, thumbing the steering wheel as the car sailed along the freeway. After getting halfway there Ken put in his Van Halen tape and passively bopped his head the rest of the way.

?Remember to meditate Hibiki.? Ryu stated flatly as he handed Dan his bags from the trunk. Dan mockingly bowed to Ryu in response. They had parked far in the back of the parking lot. An arm of the freeway in one direction and tall buildings in the other. To Ryu downtown seemed to buzz.

?We?ll go inside too. Make sure you get on that bus.? Ken joked while carrying a bag in each hand. Ryu smiled, Dan emitted an obviously fake chuckle. No one called him on it. While walking to the front door glowing with inside light Ken turned to look around. He saw damp skyscrapers smashed together, wet dark red bricks and various shades of grey with tinted windows. They can see you but you can?t see them.

?They aren?t looking anyway.? Ken thought as he probed the blank grey sky for healthy clouds. He looked for a difference from the huge slab of uniform blankness. Thin scattered clouds didn?t mean anything. An exception that said it would not be like this all day. He found none.

?They aren?t looking anyway, too busy pushing papers and typing. Too distracted with their phone calls.? As Ken sighed he realized he had developed hang-ups about city life. Did he miss it so much while training he had to convince himself he hated the city? No he always disliked it when people took the presence of other people for granted.

But that wasn?t a symptom of the city was it?

The automatic doors slid open with a quick rush of a squeak. Ryu and Dan were several feet in front of the paused Ken walking into the clean white walled station. Ken blinked then briskly turned and walked in himself. Ken and Ryu stood off to the side holding bags while Dan dashed up to the ticket office.

?I?m going to Osaka, where people like me belong! The fastest route please.? The smiling lady in the booth was amused by Dan?s enthusiasm and cheerfully fulfilled his request. The ticket shot out of a slit in the counter and Dan snatched it like someone else was about to take it from him. He walked back to Ken and Ryu not smiling. He wordlessly extended his arms and Ken and Ryu filled them with luggage.

?I?m going to Osaka, then Hong Kong. The terminal is this way.? Dan?s voice was low and he lead the way to the terminal line. Dan thrust his biggest bag over his shoulder and gave a thumbs-up as he trotted off. Ryu nodded and hollered ?don?t neglect your training in the city!? Ken waved with a smile and took one last jab at Hibiki:

?When we meet again, I hope your hadoken goes farther than your arm!? Dan stopped completely and turned around.

?Fuck you Ken Masters! You and Ryu should come out of the closet already! You bastads won?t be around to watch me shake things up cause you?re both too scared to leave the forest! When I see you losers again I?ll be rich and have my own dojo-? People in the bus station were starting to stare at Dan with a dash of pity but mostly contempt. Ken and Ryu both noticed the attention. Dan did not.

?Aw shut up and get on the bus you bum! We love you!? Ken shouted in a comically high pitched tone.

?We?ll meet again!? Ryu smiled and waved and his voice was surprisingly light.

Dan turned around and dealt with the ticket taker. In another minute he was gone through the doorway.

?Hmph. That guy sure is a question wrapped in an enigma. ? Ken chuckled. Ryu actually giggled. Both of them looked around the bus station, turning their heads all around like tourists. They saw the excited travelers, the stone faced road warriors and the anxious ones hugging the walls waiting.

?Let?s go back to the forest now.?

Ryu nodded in agreement.

++++++++++++++++++

?Are you going to fight your brother soon?? Ryu continued staring at the wood left to be chopped as he spoke. His axe lay inert as it stood propped against a tree a few feet away; the blade growing cold on the ground. The snowstorm of the day had settled into a trickle of snowfall at night. A thick tarp of sparkling white covered everything.

?I believe so. But I?ve felt like this before.? Gouken stood a few feet behind Ryu, his bearskin cloak draped around him to his ankles. Gouken treasured it because it was a gift from Kuwabatake and it was warm.

?I?ve been sure he?d show up?like a gut feeling sort of thing. But he never did. So I?m extra ready for him.? Gouken chuckled slightly while watching the snow drift down. As Ryu split logs from the ground he sensed something uneasy in his master.

?You don?t want to fight him.? Ryu had a knack for stating the weight on his mind. Gouken didn?t mind, he wanted to talk a little. He figured he had thought about it to himself too much.

?I do want to fight Gouki. I do want to see who is the strongest between us?now. And how big the difference in strength is.? Gouken looked out at the night sky and wondered again why it was a purple red when the snow fell. Was it really the snow?

Ryu continued chopping, noticing the lift in Gouken?s voice.

?I want to see who is the strongest. I want us both to live after the fight. I refuse to believe it has to be a life or death battle to really matter.? Gouken brought his palm up to his face and examined it. Gouken was surprised he could still see so many old cuts in such low winter light.

?Satsui No Hadou. It is in me?when I was younger I fought it. I?ve found a way; an alternative to just surrendering to it. My brother?he embraces the killing intent. Did he drift towards it? Did he fall? Or do I have it wrong?? Gouken looked at Ryu, smiling an uncomfortable grin. Ryu felt confused.

?Of course you have it right! It is too much of a waste to kill needlessly. That age of brutality is past!? Gouken?s hearty laughter silenced Ryu and the young man went back to his chore as Gouken cleared his throat.

?I?m not trying to be mean Ryu I?m sorry. It is just something else to hear pillars of wisdom I taught to you being stated back to me as reassurance. Don?t worry I still believe! It is that my brother doesn?t.?

?How can you stop it once you feel it rising up?? Ryu did not look to his teacher as he asked.

?Don?t let your self be strapped into the mental rollercoaster. It happens on the inside?your feelings will simmer, boil and erupt. Satsui no hadou will show you visions of what will happen if you don?t surrender to it. You have to seize control of yourself then so you have to first recognize that it is happening. Also and this one is important?? Gouken turned to look at the distracted Ryu as he paused.

?You must shed your ego concerning defeat.?

?You can show him by sparing his life after you defeat him.? Ryu did not turn to look at Gouken as he spoke this time. Ryu did not see Gouken nod and shuffle slightly in the snow.

?Yes you are right. Would he find his life being spared insulting? Ryu would you ever find it insulting?? Gouken trotted toward Ryu, a curious look on his face. One swift stroke from Ryu?s axe was enough for just about every log. Ryu did not cease his chore as he spoke. He was certain Gouken was acting different. Did master have anything to drink?

?If I were left in a condition that I could not survive long. I was going to say ?if I couldn?t fight anymore??..but there is a life without fighting??

Gouken smiled. He was right next to Ryu now.

?Do you look forward to that life? A life without fighting??

Ryu let the axe drop in the snow as he picked up firewood. He stood up with the wooden rectangles bundled in his arms.

?I?m not sure. I can?t imagine it all the way.?

?Interesting. Are you done with that firewood slow ?n? steady??

?Our conversation was distracting me!? Ryu surprised himself with how easily a laugh or yell just jumped out of his mouth sometimes with his teacher Gouken. Ryu felt it was out of character only well afterward. Gouken realized early on that he could draw uncommon emotions out of Ryu and enjoyed doing so.

?Don?t worry about what place you hope to get in the tournament. Fight fair don?t eat heavy foods before matches.? Gouken nodded with closed eyes after he spoke.

++++++++++++++++++

-West Covina California, United States

Ken Masters was glad the tournament was closed to most of the media, something he helped make possible financially. There was a guy with a humongous video camera and two photographers ringside but most had to wait until the press conference after. This meant the coverage wouldn?t be large, with articles shoved in the back pages of newspapers and 30 second clips for some anchorman?s ?around the world in sports? montage. Why didn?t Ken want attention? Because he knew the tournament would not be too difficult to win. He wanted attention for something challenging. He wanted to be worthy of the front page. As he trotted out of the ring draped in towels his muscles still twitched eagerly. As he splashed water on his face in the sink he reminded himself that the tournament was not a cakewalk, that man Allen had given him some good moments. As he freshened up and prepared to meet the flashbulbs as the champion of the United States martial arts scene he wasn?t tired. He knew he should be tired, exhausted and covered in bruises. He knew he should have been stumbling out of the ring supported by his trainers even if he was the champion. Especially if he was the champion! As he soaped up a washrag he wondered who would be at the World Warrior Tournament. He felt the mild sting of a few cuts as he washed. His shoulder hummed a little from too many targeted blows but nothing else.

?Kenneth Masters, United States champion.? Ken said it to the mirror in a slow monotone like an announcer. He smiled after because he did like the sound of it. He had beaten everyone and been declared the winner. He had beaten everyone and had energy to spare. Now it was time to take questions about it. As Ken passed through creaking locker room doors he just wanted to get it over with so he could see the pretty blonde named Eliza he met at the dentist?s office.

Ken didn?t realize wearing a red uniform with the sleeves torn off would cause such a stir. It made him feel a bit like a spectacle; not that he was disgusted by it. Ken Masters, son of the influential Masters family and heir to an empire, coming back after his decade long stay in the Japanese countryside with a martial arts master. The media portrayed him as an extreme adrenaline junkie, the vibrant and robust young successor. Ken liked the attention, but was also glad he spent so much time away from it. He thought a younger version of himself would have let it go to his head. Ken felt his self image was very healthy. That is why when people asked him about the red uniform he said:

?The color red just felt good to me?it resonated with me. I think my element is fire. Pretty sure it is.?

?Does it give you power?? The reporter holding the microphone to Ken?s face asked. He was at a press conference held directly after the United States Martial Arts Championship tournament.

?The red uniform or fire??

?Either one.?

?No.? As Ken bluntly answered he wondered why he agreed to deal with the media before at least taking a shower. He dabbed his brow with a towel someone had handed him once he left the ring.

?The red uniform helps my mental game. I can?t see where all the blood is.? Half of the reporters laughed but Ken thought it was amusing.

?Mr. Masters you have been studying karate in rural Japan on and off for the last 12 years. Are you finally coming back to America now that you?re champion?? The reporter?s voice was flat and well annunciated. She spoke with a perfectly bland Midwestern accent.

?Yes actually! My teacher is growing tired of me eating all of his food and I will come home for good after I make one more visit. I?m sure I?ll go back and stay a while in the future but for the next few years I?m finally stepping into the family business.? The crowd of reporters exchanged nervous glances at each other as Ken took a heaping gulp from his glass of water.

?Where can I go to watch the tournament in Thailand here?what time is it there right now?? Ken thought, while his exterior was that of a relaxed gladiator listening intently to whatever the serious faced blonde holding the microphone had to say.

?Mr. Masters there have been reports of your engagement in Shinto rituals??

++++++++++++++++++

• Thailand

?You?ve come a long way?but I?ve been doing this too long.? Sagat cracked his knuckles as he spoke matter of factly. It was as if he was trying to re-assure his young opponent of his competence before the kid met defeat. Ryu said nothing in response as he rose from the ground a few feet away from Sagat. Ryu had just been sent to the ground by a vicious knee, his attempt at a shoryuken was too slow and too obvious. The crowd was seated and quiet during the final round of the World Warrior tournament.

Ryu knew Retsu was in the stands somewhere, and he felt a twinge of embarrassment. Retsu had lost his first fight to Geki the ninja. As Retsu told Ryu what he knew from Gouken about Gen Ryu felt a rush of excitement. He had hoped to fight the famous crane master Gen but he disappeared after winning his match. Ryu was silently shocked as he advanced past Birdie and Geki to the third round. . Sagat?s pupil Adon was strong but Ryu thought he moved around too much and his hadoken overcame the kickboxer. Adon?s words from the ground before the paramedics arrived were:

?You beat me. But you have no chance of beating the king. No damn way.?

He had given better than he had gotten. But no match did Ryu consider easy. As Ryu hopped in place and took stance he wondered how much farther he would go. The fight with Sagat had just started 2 minutes and 40 seconds ago. Ryu had spent the last couple minutes guarding and dodging with rare openings for attacks. Ryu had trouble finding openings because he was too busy defending.

Sagat strolled forward toward Ryu with a blank face and his arms at his sides. He wasn?t guarding. He wasn?t running to his opponent. Sagat felt both were unnecessary. Ryu?s eyes darted from the crowd to the sky, to his approaching opponent, back to the sky and finally fixed his gaze on Sagat.

?I must focus. I must give him no rest.? Ryu thought.

Ryu rocketed forward on the ball of his back foot, in half a second he was in Sagat?s striking range. Sagat stopped in place and waited for Ryu to open the latest exchange of blows. Sagat was still leaving himself unguarded, but this time he had a smirk.

Ryu hopped in place and performed a roundhouse kick. Sagat held up one bent forearm to stop the attack cold before it could reach his head. Sagat used his other arm to punch forward and down. Ryu had to use both arms to guard against the drilling fist. Once Sagat?s fist retreated Ryu shot out with a front kick that was swatted away. Ryu then caught a right hook to the jaw that dropped him. He was back on his feet in an instant. He didn?t bother to wipe the blood.

Sagat?s leg slashed through the air horizontally, Ryu?s ducking roll saved him from surely being knocked unconscious. Ryu darted to the side of Sagat and delivered a precise kick to his unguarded ribcage. Sagat whirled around and kneed Ryu in the stomach. As Ryu?s body sagged he lamented on underestimating Sagat?s speed. Ryu cocked back his fist and delivered a close uppercut to Sagat?s ribcage, the same spot he kicked. Ryu jumped back before Sagat?s response could land. Sagat?s fist abruptly stopped in mid-air as if even his limb knew the target was missing. Sagat smiled and began to stand upright as his fist slowly retracted. Ryu remained in stance.

Sagat charged again. A sudden thunderbolt of energy with little warning. In a single bound Sagat was upon Ryu again. Ryu attempted a downward cop but Sagat simply side stepped it and jabbed Ryu?s cheek. Ryu staggered and Sagat grabbed Ryu to throw him. Ryu took the opportunity to knee Sagat in the ribcage. Sagat grunted and backfisted Ryu across the face. Ryu?s upper body jerked to one side and his hands flopped. Sagat then grabbed Ryu by his shirt and violently tossed him toward the other side of the arena. Sagat threw Ryu like he wasn?t a human being. Ryu?s body only skidded once.

?Stop going for my ribs.?

++++++++++++++++++

Ryu lay still on the ground, but his head was swirling as if he were spinning while drowning.

What could he do now? How could he fight on when his senses blurred at random, when the earth under his feet seemed to swell and contract while his legs spasmed. How could he win when he could barely stand?

Ryu flipped himself over, once his back was on the ground he noticed he had gotten more blood on his white headband. His eyes were barely open, the sunlight burned too much. He had forgotten he was in Thailand while he was swimming in the ground. As the sound of the crowd rose in his mind, first a deep distant thunder but now crashing, chaotic, a smashing of individuals. Had Sagat made them louder, more excited while beating Ryu up? As Ryu slowly stood he knew the crowd held no allegiance; they just wanted to see a grand spectacle.

Sagat was far away, unreachable as he stroked the crowd. He was throwing his long arms and pumped fists to the sky, his face carried a big grin and his one eye shined with accomplishment. He paced a slow circle 30 feet away from the wobbling Ryu; a practice for his victory stroll out of the arena. The crowd was with him; his chanted name began to bring an odd order to the grandstands. The sound swept up background noise and swelled into a deafening uniform mantra.

Ryu straightened his back and swallowed hard. Perhaps the crowd did have a favorite. As he exhaled as deep as he could he heard the sound of Sagat?s feet galloping across the tiles. Ryu swerved to the left as Sagat?s fist raced past his cheek. Ryu kicked Sagat?s exposed ribs and received an elbow to the jaw in response. As Ryu spun backward pounced with a raised knee. The roundhouse kick from Ryu connected first and Sagat fell to one knee holding his chin.

?Pretty good.? Sagat whispered. In a flash he was upon Ryu again. Ryu clumsily punched the air and Sagat kneed him in the stomach then backfisted him across the face. Ryu blinked but did not lose his composure and a violent exchange of deflected blows went on for 10 seconds. The clash slowed after Ryu?s powerful front kick missed terribly and Sagat positioned himself while grinning. Ryu winced at the thought of what was coming.

Sagat?s foot hooked into Ryu?s side, the kick splashed a wave of burning in Ryu?s insides. As Ryu rolled a few feet Sagat massaged his wrapped hands as he strolled forward. Ryu?s body made scraping noises as he clumsily got up. As Ryu slid his legs under him a bit of dust jumped into the air near his knees. He staged a bit and blinked several times but quickly regained his bearings and formed fists from his previously slack and heavy hands. Sagat smiled as he thought to himself:

?It shouldn?t be much longer.?

Sagat stopped abruptly when he was in range of Ryu. The way Sagat lifted up and reared back only his right arm was mechanical. He fired the punch in an instant. The crowd hollered as the wrapped club of bone and muscle crashed into Ryu?s sternum. Ryu skidded across the arena for 7 feet.

?Why didn?t the bum block it?!? A high pitched wail leapt from the crowd like lightning.

As Ryu lay heard the announcer far in the pressbox clearly through the loudspeaker. He was counting. Everything else was a distant, fuzzy haze. All the pain in Ryu?s body tingled fiercely, it reminded him of an alarm clock ringing. Ryu could hear the announcer but he could not understand what was being said. Ryu felt he was losing his grip on consciousness. He was losing the fight.

The crowd was now chanting the count with the announcer. Ryu?s waves of tingling intensified as he thought about how everyone wanted him to lose. This new feeling flowing over his body burned hot. Ryu lay on the ground and clenched his fist as he thought of going home with nothing but cuts and bruises. Or wrapped in a body cast.

?No?..? Ryu?s body creaked and groaned as he stood. His anger throbbing in his head, dulling some of the pain. Drowning out the pins and needles in his skin.

?You want more?? Sagat?s voice sounded so distorted to Ryu; like a dog barking gravel. Ryu read his lips and cunning smile and grew angrier. The blood pumping through his body thundered in Ryu?s head.

?Bastard?.? Ryu?s voice was too low for anyone to hear him. Sagat read his lips and decided to attack.

The crowd was shocked and amused that Ryu was still standing. A second before Sagat was upon him Ryu looked into the stands with a stone face. He wanted to pluck out the eyes of all the passive spectators that watched violence like they ate candy. He wanted to rip apart all the scum that bet against him, sure the kid had no chance.

Time slowed for Ryu as the moment was upon him. He studied the dirty and blood splotched white wrappings on Sagat?s cocked fist. He peered into Sagat?s arrogant, wide eye and he had no thoughts in his mind. He was blank and emotionless as his body moved by itself.

The shoryuken was perfect. Ryu felt his knuckles tear into flesh. Ryu felt the weight of Sagat?s body against his arm. Toward the end of the motion he felt the blood splatter on his arm. On his white gi. On his face.

The crowd was silent as Sagat crashed to the ground 15 feet away from a now kneeled Ryu. Splotches of blood on the tile marked the path of flight, right up to the ever growing pool underneath Sagat?s stil form.

Ryu was out of gas. It suddenly dawned on him as his senses flooded back. His body felt two heavy, even his eyes required concentration to stay open. The crowd was a thin murmur of disbelief, the hushed whispers rolling through the stands.

Ryu started to hear an echo as he thrust his arms to the ground, propping up his sinking upper body. Through rheumy eyes he saw Sagat still did not move. The pool of blood had grown. Ryu let his body drop to the tile with a wet thwack. His eyes began to close as he saw the white shoes of paramedics galloping toward Sagat. As the sounds drifted farther Ryu caught one last word from the announcer, the word heard as if it came from atop a hill:

?Winner!?

Chapter XXV

• Japan

The house was empty but it did not feel deserted. Retsu had been gone for 2 weeks and he would not be back for another 2 weeks. Ryu had been gone for about 4 days. Ken had been gone a month but he was to return either later that day or the next. Dan was gone for good.

Gouken reached his hand out to grasp the door handle, taking time to sense the cold metal. How long had Gouki been sitting there cross legged waiting for him? With a click and a turn the door was open and Gouken strode out into the dim sunlight of his porch. Gouki sat about 30 feet from him; sitting on the end of a concrete path leading from the gate to the front door. Surrounding Gouken as he slowly walked toward Gouki was the neat lawn bordered with ferns. Goukis back was still to Gouken and Gouki did not stir as his brother approached him. The clouds were long, thin and bland. They seemed arranged in dense rows through the whole sky.

Gouken stopped about 5 feet from the meditating Gouki. Gouki still had not moved, Gouken could not see his closed eyes or hands clasped in his lap.

Gouki rose to face Gouken unnaturally fast. The getting up and turning around seemed like one fluid motion. Gouki stared at his brother and for once his face was not chiseled from stone. His face looked slightly curious and he was almost smiling.

Are you smiling?! Gouken laughed. The clouds seemed thin and spread too far.

Youve gotten fat. Gouki teased.

Hey that is muscle Gouken looked down to pinch bits of his stomach and arms to demonstrate. When he looked back up at his brother the face he found was flat and serious.

Youll soon find out. Said Gouken with a cocky shimmer and tilted head. Now it was Goukis turn to chuckle.

Gouken stared at his brothers relaxed face against the bulging dark cloud backdrop. His features had grown sharper over the years and his forehead had creases from grimacing. Gouken couldnt remember the last time he had seen Gouki so outwardly pleasant.

How long has it been this time? I cant remember the last time you dropped by to scare my students.

At least 4 years. It was in the fall that I saw you last. Gouki turned away and began walking back toward the gate.

No no I know a good place to fight in the west. That is what you came for isnt it? Goukens voice was still light and it surprised him as the words came out quickly and playfully. As Gouki abruptly turned and followed Goukens light jog the breeze felt cool on both their flesh. Gouken thought to look at the lonely house behind him but instead quickened his pace as they dashed farther from the cleared land and approached the forest. Gouki was a foot behind but they were running side by side. They ran for more than a few minutes; until the lonely house was out of sight and all that surrounded them was green and brown. As Goukens pace slowed he felt the anxiety in his muscles. As he stopped and turned to face his brother he cracked his knuckles and said nothing.

Are you ready? Gouki spoke slowly, his face revealed no emotion. He stood up straight facing his opponent. Goukens arms were at his sides 10 feet across from him.

Are you ready brother? Goukis eyes widened for a split second then he fired a gou-hadoken. The purple ki ball whizzed through the air where Gouken used to be and fizzled out 10 feet in the distance. Gouki spun behind him just in time to deflect a jumping kick aimed for his head. Gouken threw three more punches with his right hand which were all blocked. Gouken then quickly jumped back 6 feet and fired a hadoken. Gouki reacted with a gou-hadoken out of instinct. The blue and purple fireballs collided and burst apart in an instant. Through the shimmering cloud Gouken charged; landing a straight punch to Goukis chest with such force Gouki fell back 10 feet.

As Gouki rose a blue ball of ki rocketed toward him. Gouki leapt into the air to avoid it and hurled a basketball sized ki attack at the earth. Gouken calmly took a brief stroll to the left and watched the purple orb crash to the ground and kick up dust. Gouken noted to himself that the scar left behind in the ground was a crater deep enough to throw ones footing off. As Gouken turned his eyes back to his brother he saw another gou-hadoken speeding straight toward him. He jerked his arm and swatted it away with a horizontal chop. The purple orb was cut cleanly in half; shattering into tatters a foot away from Goukens fingertips. Gouken and Gouki now stood 20 feet apart from each other. Gouki was in his fighting stance while Gouken was not.

This isnt all of your power. I expected you to not hold back from me! Gouken grunted as he ran toward Gouki. Goukis roundhouse kick missed horribly and Gouki paid for it with an uppercut to the chin. As Gouki absorbed another punch to the cheek he reared his fist back and Gouken noticed. Goukis arm fired a straight punch and Gouken caught the extended arm and held it under his armpit. Gouken then kneed Gouki in the ribs and tripped him; backing away to let Gouki stand back up.

Gouki rushed toward Gouken with a tatsumaki senpuu kyaku; his body spinning as if it were a machine. Gouken did not have time to avoid the hurricane kick and was knocked to the ground 10 feet away without a word. As Gouken got to one knee Gouki was upon him and Gouken reacted with a shoryuken that sent them both 12 feet into the air. Gouken landed on his feet while Gouki did not. Gouki attacked again the moment he recovered; zig-zagging toward his opponent and delivering a crouching horizontal chop to Goukens ribs that made the man buckle. As Gouken staggered Gouki grabbed by the shoulders with both hands. Gouken blinked and wrapped his fingers around Goukis throat. They tried various holds on each other as the forest surrounded them, turning the low sunlight into many pale beams.

Give me everything youve got. Gouken smiled as he spoke, a smile through a strained face. A smile with bloodstained teeth and shining wild eyes. The two brothers were locked face to face in a tangled grapple as it began to drizzle. Gouken smiled because he enjoyed the droplets landing on his bare skin. He smiled because he knew how to break this stalemate.

Gouken did not telegraph his headbutt. He did not lean backward to gain momentum, if he had Gouki would know what was coming too quickly. Goukens skull shot forward and crashed into Goukis face. The next instant Gouken felt Goukens arms slacken as he fell backward. Gouken felt the hold untangle and he saw his brothers limp arms fly past him. Once he heard the wet thud he finally exhaled. Gouki lay on his back 6 feet away while Gouken massaged his shoulder briefly then dashed forward. Gouki raised his head and his arms and a crudely formed wave of purple jutted a few feet from where he lay. Gouki darted to the right and fired a hadoken as Gouki flipped to his feet. The blue ball burst upon contact with Goukis unguarded chest and Gouken jumped into the air as Gouki staggered. The jumping roundhouse kick missed completely as Gouki turned and dashed deeper into the forest. Gouken grunted angrily and ran after him wondering what he wanted to accomplish. As the leaves rapidly brushed past him he was reminded by his stomach that he was hungry.

Gouken leapt over a bush and continued his gallop as soon as he hit the ground. His arms bent but stiff and his closed fists on the sides of his belt with the palms up. Gouki had meant to lure Gouken deeper into the forest. It was fine, but Gouken wanted to fight and not chase. Goukens breathing was quick and even as his eyes searched the surroundings whizzing around him with precision.

I defeated Goutetsu.years ago! What makes you think you can do better than him? The voice was disembodied but clear; it seemed to come from the trees.

Gouken stopped running and listened to the breeze blowing through all the trees. He was surprised at how little anger he felt at the moment.

Goutetsu was past his prime when he fought you. I have been stronger than our master for quite some time now. Gouken stated flatly. The deep roar from Gouki told Gouken that his brother would appear and attack very soon.

The wave of purple ki looked like an oversized sword blade; incredibly curved as it slashed straight down at Gouken. Gouken jumped up and away, scanning the treetops while his cupped hands built vibrant blue ki. He was level with most of them when he looked up at the sky for a brief moment. A sheet of grey was all he saw as a raindrop hit his nostril. Once his gaze returned to the ground he was lucky to catch Gouki springing off a tree trunk aiming for a mid air lunge. The blue ki shot from Goukens hands and burned branches on its way toward Gouki. The instant before it connected there was a path of sizzling black that drilled through the immense green. The blue fireball slammed into a tree trunk while Gouken landed and instantly ducked because Gouki had appeared behind him.

Goukis leg slashed through empty air as Gouken dropped low and rolled backward. Gouken tumbled out of the roll and hopped a few feet to the right to evade a powerful stomp that made nearby twigs on the forest floor jerk with motion.

Gouki grunted as he gave chase. He felt he was being toyed with. He was certain Gouken was not in the proper fighting mode. Gouki grew angrier at Gouken for holding back his power. I will push him to the edge Gouki thought as he kneed Gouken in the ribs, finally a hit after so many misses. Gouken punched Gouki in the jaw and sent him to the ground with an axe kick. Sweat glistened on his bald head as Gouken stood still waiting for Gouki to get up. The breeze made his beard blow against his neck and face. Gouki suddenly jumped from the ground and fired a gou-hadoken. Gouken stuck one arm out, a blue ball burst forward. The two ki attacks collided and dispersed. Neither brother moved after the shimmering died.

This isnt a game. Gouki stated flatly, smoldering with scorn behind the veil of a stone face. Gouken said nothing, only adjusted his stance.

A split second later Gouki seemed to float forward, his eyes locked on to Gouken but his form eerily still to be sliding toward him. He appeared drapped in shadow and crimson fire.

I know that technique Gouken struck at the sliding form but his fist whizzed through the illusion. Gouki was behind. Gouken could realize it in time but not react as he absorbed an elbow strike to the side of his head, a right hook that threw his head back, and a gou-shoryuken that made his lungs burn.

Gouken blinked and he was on the ground. His tan uniform that was already dirty was slightly singed now. Goukens head thundered, the rhythmic pulsing of pain scattering the thoughts. His jaw felt like it was close to falling off. A weight sat deep inside his chest.

I cant let this become a marathon fight. Gouken muttered as he rose to his feet. Gouki was already rushing toward him; a thin outline of purple surrounding shadow.

They met and Gouken took more than he gave. In this particular pulse of combat Gouken absorbed two face punches, a knee to the stomach and a powerful straight punch to the center of his chest. Gouki ate a roundhouse kick to the shoulder that broke up the skirmish.

Gouken stumbled backward and tripped over a tree stump. He fell to one knee, breathing quickly and deeply through his mouth while his eyes darted around looking for his brother.

Gouki is strong. A purple fireball whizzed toward Gouken from forested darkness behind him. Gouken slapped it to smithereens before getting up. He galloped toward his brother noting how thinly the surroundings were peppered with trees. They met with a blue and purple flash following by a gust of wind that tore weak branches from surrounding trees. They furiously fought, darting and attacking at a pace that was inhuman. Gouki stopped a roundhouse kick cold with his right arm and punched Gouken square in the nose with his left fist. Gouken stumbled backward and fired a hadoken in front of him out of instinct. The clumsy blue ki ball was ignored as Gouki ran past it and titled his body with his bent leg raised. The jumping side kick was narrowly avoided by Gouken but as Gouki passed he was elbowed in his unguarded rib. Gouki stumbled and Gouken ran up and grabbed him by his hair. As Gouken cocked back his fist he stared into Goukis bewildered eyes and felt his malice begin to leave him. A split second later Goukis eyes recovered their aggression and Gouken felt productive as his right hook connected to his brothers jaw and Gouki went limp as he fell. Gouken jumped back 10 feet and shook his hand while he grimaced. All emotion disappeared as he looked ahead at the ball of purple fire coming straight at him. The smooth curves seemed electrified and the shimmering orb was bigger than Goukens torso. Gouken inhaled deeply and rushed forward. He kicked the ki ball up into the air and above the trees it burst apart into shimmers and sparks. Before Gouken could collect himself Goukis fist slammed into his cheek.

As Gouki wound his fist he saw the strain in Goukens face; the two tense veins in his neck as he reeled from the previous kick. As Goukis horizontal chop to the midsection connected he saw the wave of pain spread just from his brothers wide eyes and the fire inside him danced from the sight. As Gouken flopped to the ground with blood in his beard Gouki felt an enhanced sense of his own power. Gouki smiled because this feeling was not an incompetent mans fleeting wish under duress. This feeling was not a brief reaction to a small gain in the battle. This feeling was not a hope for the future. The feeling that he had gained a greater perception of his strength was fully upon him. He knew just the knowledge made him even stronger!

Gouki also felt a rush of delight that seemed to invigorate his muscles. The delight in demonstrating superiority; with someone so perfect on the receiving end. The purple aura around Gouki intensified as he inhaled deeply; thin trails of purple dissolved up into the silver black.

Is there comfort in the lie you live?

Gouken spat to clear his throat before answering; he couldnt tell where the glob landed in the mud because his eyes were kept on a still but ready Gouki.

It isnt about who is the best you bastard!

Gouken sprang backward without looking behind him to keep his eyes on Gouki. His back foot slipped and Gouken broke the still with a quick curse as he flailed about for half a second trying to snatch his footing. All the time Gouki needed. Gouki rushed forward with wild eyes and cocked fists.

++++++++++++++++++

Ken approached the front gates of Sujyaku to find all of the house lights off. The house was enveloped in shadow save a weak porch-light that flickered rarely but consistently. The first door was really an iron gate, a break in the stone wall that surrounded all of the compound. His key worked with a well greased clack. He walked along a series of stones surrouned by green grass that now glistened from the rain. As he walked toward the front door and paused and looked at the dark sky. The rain sprinkled his face and he felt a cold wave brush by him. Was it the wind?

++++++++++++++++++

The rain cast a mist over everything now, Gouken?s vision was blanketed in silver segmented streaks. Gouki lay still in a deep puddle with wide vacant eyes and a mouth frozen in a half snarl. His limbs splayed out while he was on his back. Gouken looked around and wondered how the fight had carried out into this treeless plain. The thin edge of the forest was 40 or 50 feet away and what was left were scattered bushes, rocky ground and low slopping hills.

?It will be a moment before he gets up from that one.? Gouken muttered as he coughed a bit of blood. He let his body drop as he stared at the sky; the immense darkness now. His left arm was in terrible shape. Gouken was barely able to lift it. Little cuts and bruises dotted his skin but the pain from them was annoying at best. In the rain Gouken sat up and rubbed his side while yawning.

His organs felt like they had been in a blender. They hurt the most but his headache was competing fiercely. As Gouken noticed his brother beginning to stir he felt silly trying to measure the relative strength of his aches because everything hurt. As Gouki jumped to his feet Gouken fired a hadoken. Gouki swatted it away and rushed forward. Gouken rocketed forward to meet him and instinctively ducked once he was within range of Gouki?s limbs. The hooked side kick was a blur inches above Gouken?s head as Gouken tacked Gouki to the wet ground and began methodically punching him in the face and chest. Gouki thrashed while he absorbed blows for about 5 seconds before the explosion of purple energy blew Gouken 10 feet away. Gouken landed on his back and immediately returned to his feet to find Gouki in the air lunging for him. A haze of bouncing droplets buzzed a couple of inches above the darkened wet ground. Gouken liked that the rain washed away the blood on his body. Yet his cuts stung a little more and the mud made the ground slippery. At least there was no dust.

Gouken deflected a series of jabs from Gouki?s right then he ducked and rolled to avoid a sweeping downward chop from Gouki?s left arm. He fumbled like a drunken man to miss getting hit by a purple flame that somewhat resembled an orb shape. Gouken charged feeling his heart thundering between his ears. The ground was slippery so Gouken could pretend he was gliding toward his brother. Flying toward his enemy. Gouki?s eyes widened in glee as he sucked in more air with bared teeth. Lightning flashed in the distance just before they connected with each other and sent mud flying.

Gouken knew Gouki would attack first because he was overzealous at this point. He sidestepped a straight punch and reached for the outstretched arm with both hands. Gouki?s knee rocketed forward, figuring a throw attempt. Gouken shouted ?don?t be stupid? as he stomped his foot while chopping both Gouki?s rising thigh and his uncovered ribs at once. Gouki limped backward and cursed, firing a gou hadoken to occupy his brother and gain distance between them.

Gouken blocked it, and fired a hadoken of his own immediately after. Gouki slapped the blue ki ball away with a violent grunt. Gouken smiled and gestured with his hand for Gouki to continue the battle. Gouki angrily tossed into the mud the burned tatters of his shirt and charged forward, shadows all around them and small dim fragile mirrors everywhere beneath them.

Gouki was becoming faster now, hitting harder as the magenta aura around him intensified. Gouken evaded a series of punches and chops but caught the hook kick in the temple. He jumped backward as Gouki fired a fast gou hadoken. Gouken rolled to the side to avoid it but as he looked up a side kick plunged into his stomach. Gouken grunted but knew he had an opportunity; grabbing his opponent?s extended ankle with one hand while a wave of blue ki exploded from the other. Gouki sailed limply backward into the night rain. He hit the mud with a splash and was back up and charging at Gouken without a grunt or a pause. Gouken swallowed hard and shifted out of stance. Springing on the balls of his feet with half closed fists under his eyes. Like someone that was done with formalities.

++++++++++++++++++

The ground was a slippery mess at this point. The sky was wrapped in night while the raindrops tumbled. The wind was no longer the consistent push to and fro now it lay dormant most of the time. Suddenly it would flare up in great gusts that bent tree branches and seemed to turn the rain sideways. Gouken cracked his knuckles and looked around. As Gouken began hopping in place he felt his heart thundering again. As Gouki kicked up mud and water in his wild charge Gouken felt he had the energy left for the last round of this fight.

Lightning flashed in the background as Gouken dodged a side kick and deflected a downward chop. Gouken absorbed a horizontal chop to his ribcage and grunted as a right hook made his teeth clatter together. As Gouki moved in closer with a reared fist Gouken fired back with a shoryuken, knocking Gouki back 15 feet. As Gouki smacked into the mud Gouken cupped his hands behind him. As he poured ki into the glowing blue ball he thought of the attack knocking Gouki unconscious and the fight being over.

Gouki was up and galloping toward his opponent in three seconds, his arms pumping while the purple flames around him burned and sizzled.

Gouken fired his ki ball out of a sense of resignation. Gouki howled as he slapped the attack away with both hands clasped together.

++++++++++++++++++

Ken felt uneasy as he walked deeper, a dull throb in his right side annoyed him. A recent injury that was mostly healed; now it was only whining. As Ken looked up he noticed that the thick dark clouds seemed to match the rock in Ken?s stomach. As Ken passed by the most probably spot Gouken would be meditating he stopped and held his gaze on the empty space. A large boulder Gouken had split cleanly in half in training over a decade ago. He took one half and slid it down the steep hill, where it currently rested. It lay with the flattest and widest side up. Retsu added a straw mat in the center.

++++++++++++++++++

Gouken backfisted Gouki with a grunt and watched his brother fall to one knee with his head down facing the wet mud. Gouken followed with a roundhouse kick that flattened Gouki. The thick splash was the only sound Gouken heard as Gouki fell on his back with an emotionless face. As the thunder rumbled Gouken cast a look of contempt downward at his brother. He shifted out of stance to re-tie his belt.

?This is what you?ve wanted for so long. Stand up and finish this fight.? Gouken?s voice was flat and even. Gouki did not move, his body shrouded in raindrops.

As Gouken waited he wondered. He wondered how his younger brother had gotten this way, so consumed with malice. As the rain fell from the dark sky he wondered if it was too late. He wondered if it was too late for them to really be brothers again after so many years of isolation. He thought back to happier times; the images flickering through his mind. Perhaps if he had just tried harder to let Gouki know how much he cared for him things would not have been like this. As Gouken stared at his motionless brother he wondered how he could extinguish the wildfire of pain Gouki had come to embrace. He thought of so many things he could have done then but what could he do now? All Gouken knew is that he did not wish to fight the closest family he had anymore. As a bolt of lightning streaked across the western sky he wanted more than anything for his brother to stay down. To admit defeat so Gouken could tend to his wounds. To stop fighting so they could have long overdue conversation. He wished for Gouki to be unconscious so when he woke he would find himself in a warm bed with the morning sun in his eyes.

Gouki sprang to his feet again and instantly charged. Gouken stood there and waited. When they met this time Gouken did more deflecting than attacking; waiting for just the right moment to really hurt Gouki. After Every ten punches from Gouki Gouken would land a hard right hook or uppercut. Gouki broke the pattern when he elbowed Gouken in the chest making him stagger backward. As Gouken gasped Gouki dashed forward. Gouken waited until the last moment to unleash his roundhouse kick and when it connected Gouki was knocked to the mud 7 feet away. Gouken clutched his chest as Gouki?s legs slid into standing position and his arms bent.

Gouki would not stay down. He was absorbing more blows than ever in this fight but he was landing more also. He would be knocked to one knee and back up fighting before the last splatters of mud fell back to the ground. Gouken wondered how he could end this fight before Gouki fell dead from Satsui No Hado or killed them both. Gouken swatted away a series of jabs and plunged his heel into Gouki?s abdomen. As Gouki tumbled backward a ball of purple ki rocketed from his hands. Gouken was too slow to react and the attack burned away what was left of his shirt. As Gouken couldn?t help but notice the sizzling fabric fast footsteps sloshed toward him.

?Do I have to put you down like a rabid dog?!?

Gouken hollered as he cupped his hands behind him to build energy. Gouki charged with a stone face. When Gouki was close enough Gouken fired his Shinkuu Hadoken but the large blue ball only flew far into the rainy forest. Gouki had gotten behind him and the Metsu Shoryuken that followed sent Gouken high into the air coated in burning purple. Gouken could not believe how the pain was everywhere. All of his flesh screamed and his ribcage pulsed in agony as he looked out at the treetops. As Gouken began to tumble back to the ground his mind felt blocked and damaged. He had no plans for what to do next as he floated through the rain. All he knew was the fight would end soon. Gouken thought of Goutetsu and something clicked inside him. He turned himself around to face the ground as he fell.

Among the puddles and patches of grass stood Gouki where Gouken was set to land. Gouken was about 40 feet from the ground and Gouki wordlessly leapt into the air to meet his opponent.

As they met 20 feet in the air both of them fired tremendous ki blasts simultaneously. The flash of purple and blue sent Gouki crashing into the mud and Gouken spinning off to the side and landing in a pool of water 3 feet deep. Gouken felt distracted and sluggish as he stumbled to his feet. He absent mindedly slapped away a gou hadoken and watched his brother running at full speed toward him.

Gouken closed his eyes as he mechanically re-tied his belt. He smiled from the raindrops falling on his skin. He did not want to fight anymore but he felt he must.

?You wish to surpass me?? Gouken muttered to himself as the rapid splashes grew closer. He balled his fists and slid into stance while he exhaled a full breath. Gouki was upon him then; flying forward with a cocked back leg.

In the pouring rain and darkened sky the fight had its last peak. The two brothers darted around and clashed into each other with a rare intensity. Ken heard the rapid erractic cadence as he walked through the forest and felt a rock in his stomach that made him pause. The rain made it harder for him to figure out where the sounds came from. In this exchange Gouki delivered twice as many blows as Gouken. However the few attacks Gouken landed stopped Gouki in mid movement and made him stagger or slip. Gouken was able to shake off most of Gouki?s hits in a split second.

++++++++++++++++++

They roared toward each other, both knowing the final moments of the battle were here. As Gouki charged he thought of nothing. His mind was empty and clear and he was not acknowledging any of the pain in his body. Gouken felt like he was flying as he ran his fastest. He thought of the relief he?d feel after the fight was finished.

When they met Gouken launched into a jumping front kick. Gouki?s face was expressionless as he dodged under Gouken?s leg and slipped behind him. As Gouki elbowed Gouken in the spine he felt energy boiling in every muscle. As Gouken stumbled in the rain Gouki grabbed his brother on the shoulders with both hands and released all the power he had left.

Gouken felt a sharp stab in the center of himself as his vision abruptly left him in total darkness. In the black a tidal wave of pain crashed into him. It felt as if an impossible amount of fists were delivering a savage barrage all at once. Gouken could not scream and his body was frozen as blood leapt from his mouth. It was only a second or two but once Gouki released his hold on Gouken the Shun Goku Shatsu had devastated. Gouken instantly dropped face first into the mud. Smoke rose from his still body as the rain tumbled without pause.

++++++++++++++++++

Ken heard a tremendous crash, it sounded like an explosion and it make him stop cold in the wet forest. He initially thought it was a thunderclap but as he realized it sounded too close he swallowed hard and took off running in the direction of the sound.

++++++++++++++++++

Gouki knelt over his brother and slowly turned the limp body over on his back. There was only the sound of the hard rain now as Gouki peered into Gouken?s mud covered face. His eyes were closed and his mouth was slightly open as dirt slid away back to the ground. Gouken?s face held no expression. Gouki?s heartbeat was beginning to slow down. His strength slipped away from his fingertips and it seemed to fizzle into the air. As his power faded all the pain rose in response; lighting Gouki?s nerves on fire. Gouki stood up and stumbled backward a few steps. The dizziness was more than he expected. As he looked into the dark sky he felt a chill gallop through his body. He was weak, he was hurt but he had won. It was the best fight he had ever had. As Gouki turned away and slowly limped away he felt an urge to thank his brother. As he clutched his left side he felt foolish for his previous thought.

Ken approached the sizable clearing and saw a figure slowly walking. He couldn?t see who he was but he could see the injuries in his movements.

?So there was a fight?? Ken muttered to himself, his feeling of uneasiness expanding to his limbs. As Ken looked closer he saw a still body in the mud and gasped. He took off running with panic in his eyes.

Gouki hadn?t walked 20 feet from Gouken when Ken came upon him. Gouki stopped and stared with a remarkable un-interest at the boy breathing hard and quickly. Ken?s eyes searched Gouki?s face and found nothing.

?Are you my master?s brother? The demon Akuma?!? Ken shouted with balled fists.

?I am no demon. I was Gouken?s brother.? Gouken nodded behind him slightly while Ken howled in anguish.

?I am too late?..? The sadness overtook Ken?s anger and it made his knees weak. The moment did not last for Ken?s rage returned in an instant stronger than ever. He shifted into fighting stance, his eyes cold as they focused on Gouki.

?I?m going to kill you right now.? He stated flatly while he focused inward to control himself and bring his power to the forefront.

?You will try.? Gouki still seemed indifferent as Ken charged.

Ken did not get the chance to attack. As he leapt Gouki shot his leg out effortlessly. The kick connected with a crash to Ken?s temple that made him go limp instantly. Ken sailed through the rain 25 feet with a bush to soften his landing. His body flattened the bush and flopped to the ground beside it. He did not get up and he did not groan. Gouki waited for a moment then continued walking.

Gouki scolded his brother for training such a weakling as he limped. Then he remembered there was another, the stronger one. As he feet lazily sloshed in the mud Gouki felt no achievement and it disturbed him. Hadn?t he been waiting for this moment for years, for decades? There was no pride of accomplishment only appreciation of great struggle as Gouki walked away from the two bodies laying still in the rain. Gouki thought of the next fight, he thought of returning to his island to recover and train. He thought of the brilliant clash he and the boy Ryu would make in the future. He would make sure their paths crossed in time. For now, there was only the pain flooding his thoughts and the journey back.

END-_-

Very very nice ending FOF, good job.

Happy to finally see the ending man. Great job…:woot:

Thanks for coming back all those times guys. I think the whole thing has been gone through and edited three times.

Just was checking back to see if you had hosted the new completed version on word document/pad, i haven’t been here in years but i read the story all the time (i have it saved on my cpu desktop).

Thanks for checking back Akuma2000! I haven’t been on here in ages myself. And I can see the forum update has messed up my quotation marks! I also have this story on fanfiction.net:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5876469/1/

I have a complete version as a word document also! Anyone that wants it please message me your email address and I’ll send it. Also I have a blog that has short stories on it: