The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

Also if we’re going to talk about no motivation motherfuckers who have no reason to be in the ring.

Dancehall artist from jamaicuba looking to make a new album ranks a fair bit higher than chick with a passion for martial arts who at least was an avid fan of it.

Fair point but there needs to be an amount of hubris that’s expected from villains. Bison is always grinning and he’s been around long enough for there to be two versions. If SFV is the start of the another version then I can’t say that I am displeased.

Gill is the Kars archetype done right. Necalli fails on many fronts.

Seth has a banal design and was mercifully done away with lol

[Quote]

Hugo/Andore/whatever you wanna say; I can easily see him being one to push himself. Like Rolento, I can see him pushing himself into the absolute monster we know today. Who knows, if you want an instory reason you could say that this is when his mama was sick, so he was starting to have second thoughts about being in the gang, but peer pressure from his relatives kept him in the fight or even Cody might have made a mama’s joke, said his mug is only one a mother could love and that made him burn with rage so he’d keep appearing around conflicts until he realized things weren’t working.
[/Quote]

I don’t know if it’s just due to SFXT/SFIV but Hugo is child-like in his mannerisms. His quotes in 3rd Strike were bordering on  clever but if they’re going for what they made him become in reference to the more modern games then he is a muscle head who will readily follow those who need his girth.

[Quote]
Imagine a fighter based on cooking, sewing and weird over the top stuff for fighting games… that has an excuse of embedding martial arts on their cooking or sewing technique to make it look innovative or convincing but still silly andnever appropriate for a Street Fighter.
[/Quote]

You don’t need to imagine it unless you’re completely unaware of SF4. El-Fuerte is that dude…along with Hakan. FANG seems to continue that and Helen/Kolin could just be the first woman who has no actual fighting style or is based around something completely off beat.

[Quote]
Frank West, a schmuck news reporter with no athletic background who dresses up in stupid bullshit and makes makeshift bullshit, would work but several actual athletes would not?

Que?
[/Quote]

I don’t think calling him a schmuck is fair. And he clearly doesn’t need an athletic background but his fighting game debut was in a game that barely takes itself as seriously as most of it’s fans do.

The sports team from KoF 94 is not only the running joke of the series (because they’re never seen again due to not being able to hold on to their invites) but not much emphasis is put on the sports they represent. Japan gives zero phucks about Football, Basketball and boxing unless it is some readily apparent stereotype.

None of them pls

I dislike DeeJay, he was the only SF2er/SSF2er pushed in by CapAmerica (with a super poor sketch lol) and the reason we never got a serious Kickboxing rep, like a glorious K1 style kickboxer :frowning:

Still, for SF design he was just bad but not incompatible
DeeJay was still a 90kg ripped Kickboxing champ, and based on a real fighter (Billy Blanks)

We could get Ramon Dekkers, Andy Hug, Aerts, Semmy Schilt, Remy Bonjaski, Hoost, LeBanner CroCop…

but we got Billy Blanks

As usual, thanks for nothing CapAmerica lol

#stillbetterthansakura

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder979/49875979.jpg

[quote=“Will_Diesel, post:18772, topic:177027”]

I’m referring to his point of folks like athletes being less notable for a fighting game like SF than Frank West.

It’s the only way it works in the context that he gives cause several of the characters he lists work perfectly in the fighting games they’re in but clearly would not in the specifications he has for SF. So I’m wondering how Frank of all god damn people even kinda meets the mold when he’s unequivocally be the worst of the worst justifications shy of Ingrid.

Cause if he means those characters don’t fit their fighting games I’d still question the fuck he’s on given I-No is in that list and she personifies Guilty Gear’s music aesthetic better than literally EVERYONE else in the series.

Gill is not a villain but an antivillain :stuck_out_tongue:

Redesigning Hugo they also recycled a bit the Bratken concept

"Although he is large and physically powerful, Bratken has the mentality of a child. The Mad Gear Gang bribed him into working for them with a room full of toys, and since he was so dangerous and so difficult to control, they kept him locked in the room when he wasn’t needed. He broke down the door to his room and attacked Haggar, Maki and Carlos when their search for Genryusai and Rena brought them to Holland, but they managed to defeat him. "

This was Hugo’s stage

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/streetfighter/images/0/05/Sf3ts-hugo.png/revision/latest?cb=20130313010508

Also Germany and Holland from Jap point of view probably don’t change much, and effectively visually some elements are very similar as art/culture/architecture etc.
And iirc before SF3 the Andore family was never been intended to be german, just named after Andrè the Giant (who was of east european origin born/raised in france)

Well played

Frank West is using the tools realistic means to murder his opponent even with those over the top moves. His fighting to survive with all the means he have.

This is not about how the plot or the story behind the character our about the character but about SPECIAL MOVE GAMEPLAY perspective if it fits Street Fighter theme.

The other bellow have poor design from special moves having them passionately fighting with camera and swimming on mid air. Whats next? someone that used frying pan and passionately fighting with those? A Shadaloo Chef that used kitchen knife for special moves would really work but not those fancy stuff. El fuerte is a cook but does not revolve his special moves in to cooking stuff.

While Ino disregarding her background since its inappropriate to a street fighter theme. I’m pointing out someone that used special moves based on musical instrument. If her moves is about slamming and stabbing the guitar would be okay but she would end up like Marz using laptop as special move is lame with all her interesting plot is have gone into waste.

Its not about them being an athlette in the plot but its about there fancy special moves based on sports that is non lethal and based on fancy objects that is easily breakable against the best of the world that break swords with muscle and destroy cars with bare hands is inappropriate and illogical.

Fang special moves are based on poison, Hakkans special moves are grappling, Elfuerte special moves are based on wrestling.

He’s still a master kickboxer. And performing well in a worldwide martial arts tournament is great exposure for that album.

When you go to the grocery store and spot @ruthless_nash chilling on the street corner

Well, at least I know what Pauly D has been up to since the Jersey Shore …

Why is Guile wearing my dad’s old work boots? I know its cosplay and all but you could at least find something at Walmart that resembles combat boots.

Charlie dude looks like guile dude bullied him at school and further bullied him into cosplay. Just so guile can look better.

So the opposite of your avatar. In your avatar Charlie clearly wants to be there. Guile doesn’t but Nash literally has him by the balls. Hence the grimace on his face :wink:

This talk of why elements of Sakura and Deejay may not work for SF makes me want to see a Seth and ElFuerte that do. Then later maybe revisit an Akuma and Necali that have story depth and warranted hype.

Sakura: Needed to have more experience for her level of skill; now needs to look seasoned.
She seems to be a natural like Ken, has potential even greater than Ryu, but lacks the guidance either had in Gouken. How can she Hado?
Also isn’t she around Cammy’s age? She’s an apprentice combat mage in SF but she seemed to learn the fundamentals of Ki control alone and in months were it took Ryu and Ken years under Gouken. The same time gap that Sagat needed to develop a new technique after his defeat from Ryu is the sum total of Sakura’s time learning to fight. This is difficult to reconcile.

At best, Sakura was an athletic school girl who started training the day she saw Ryu fight in SF1. By the time she actually meets Ryu in SFA she is able to emulate the 3 signature shoto techs; Ryu may have given her a few pointers while they were adventuring too. She gets into fights after class and faces Karin, who may as well be the daughter of Geese Howard without mystic projectiles, winning and they consider each other true rivals. By SF4 she is good enough to enter the ring with Zangief. She hits him hard enough to knock him off his feet. Presumably, she has been using Dan’s Dojo to train and continued to fight at rival schools. By SFV her rival is seen to be on par with the likes of Cammy and Chunli. I suspect when they meet Sakura will loose this time, but it will be considered a close match.

Deejay: needed better design, more personality, and a connection to a sonic soldier; I’m lost on fixing the 1st as he looked like a Fighter.
There was not alot of space in SSF2 to expand on the new challengers backstory. SFA did no favors for exploring the 3rd kick boxer either. He’s just the E.Honda of his group. I think implying that various deployed soldiers would visit his club and that he would spare with a few of them could set the stage of him learning his Max out as a variant from Sonic blade. In SFV his careers of music and martial arts could combine into inspirational fitness media spokesman. He could seek out distribution with a successful business family while increasing his brand image.

Seth: needed to wear clothes in the game; being Cell/Amazo made sense but we didn’t see him trying to be human once. That Android #19 get up, a fleshy Abel skin tone with Tanden federation belt and maybe a dictator outfit for the Psycho Pinocchio would have got a lot of mileage. I’m reluctant to suggest alternate move-sets as that would imply his creativity and improvisation; Aspects that would let him rival if not surpass his creator. I think before or during his “boss fight” if he has a move related to his opponent he should say something referencing it; I like to think his kick special is from Chunli’s Dad.

Abel seems to be a) male Cammy who is b) the basis for Seth pre-Tanden engine and they didn’t build on that. Seems sad that they made efforts to save the dolls, but destroyed all the Seths. Were they beyond redemption?

If Seth #15 was “liked” it would be easy enough to have him inhabit another Seth body and come in at the end of SFV. Could change up his projectile, anti-air, and throw each iteration.

Necalli: “DEVOUR-OUR-OUR…”

Spoiler

Sakura: "Oh huh? What’s that? (activates CVS2 A-Groove), I’ll let you eat this SHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOSHOUKEN!

“BEAR WITNESS!” @YagamiFire