The Disney+ Thread

Yeah, you guys have been memeing SoTS without actually knowing tits about it.

Song of the South portrays stereotypes of freed African Americans post Reconstruction. It’s about the a kid visiting his grandmother’s plantation right after the Civil War. Disney doesn’t want any parts of how that can go wrong in 2019.

1 Like

Thats like saying Gone with the Wind portrays stereotypes.

1 Like

To quote the NAACP

I watched a bootleg copy of the Film, truth is its not clear exactly what era the film set in, is it prior to the US Civil War, or after during the Reconstruction Period. The official Disney “explanation” was this was after the Civil War and if you follow that Uncle Remus stories written by Joel Chandler Harris took place well after the war, but there nothing to go on in the film it self.

Also the Tar Baby animated sequence is at minimum objectionable.

So the movie y’all wanna call racist is the one that shows an old black man imparting wisdom on a priviledge white kid that was made in 1946.

If you guys dont realize why your hot takes are stupid and Disney needs to stop treating it like a crime agaisnt humanity, then I dont know what to tell you. All of Splash Mountain is dressed up on Brer Rabbit and Brer Bear stuff. It hasnt gone entirely away. But that movie, as a cultural artifact, shows a crazy bold Disney studios willing to out a black man on the mainstream. Seriously, that movie came out 5 years after Snow White and the year after WW2.

Its a black man guiding a white child. Y’all have bodied yourselves.

1 Like

Enough folk have had a problem with it that they have buried it. But it doesn’t matter because, they have already put out their road map for this service.

Family friendly and anything overly violent, controversial or not on Disney brand goes to Hulu. Whatever Song of the South 's intention it has become a symbol for accepting slavery which at this time much like season four of Boondocks I think no one is looking for that to be out there.

1 Like

James Baskett, the man playing Uncle Remus, got an academy award for the role. Yeah, people memed away a movie which made bank with a black man in the starring role. History isnt conviniemt, it just is. Instead of looking at all the reasons the movie matters, people are clutching their pearls at it.

2 Likes

. . . . . . in 1867. Disney doesn’t want the optics of that. It’s more about the brand than anything else.

1 Like

I’ll rewatch song of the south sometime. Disney going to bury a lot of competition with this service. I had Netflix and didn’t care for the content on it. hulu seemed okay and kinda is but I stare at it and wonder why do I have it? I care little for the original content. Amazon prime is even worse as that content also seems sparce but it’s at least added onto a prime subscription.

Disney has more than enough for me to enjoy.

All I ask is to please have an easy to navigate UI to find what I am looking for. I hate when these services have a stupid way to look up things and try to force recommend stuff. Just give me a list in alphabetical order.

1 Like

I’ll try Disney+ for a few months just based on the price point alone. Having access to all the movies means next to nothing to me. It’s the original content that will get me to keep the subscription.

They are coming out of the gates swinging though as they will be the only place will have all 30 seasons of the Simpsons available for streaming. That’s a selling point to a lot of people.

So is access to the fabled “Disney vault”

Like…Disney ain’t playing. And there’s already talks of them buying out the other investors of Hulu so they will solely own it and take it global. Big moves from a little mouse.

1 Like

No, in 1946. Disney doesn’t want the optics because they’ve been catching shit about it. People are taking a movie that was while segregation was still rampant and demonized it.

So yeah, you can give the movie the ol’ one two of all the intersectionality horse shit you want, but the facts are that when the US was still on that segregation bullshit, Disney made a movie for kids where a black man taught them about life.

But hey,

kermit

1 Like

The story was set at that time not when the movie was made.

While I understand your rationale, the movie was a fine example of the mystical negro trope. That’s just simply not the image Disney wants as part of the brand and that’s why it will more than likely not be a part of the service.

Cheers,

011014seibertron

This.

If want to watch a Marvel movie or Star Wars, I’ll grab it from my shelf and not deal with compressed audio.

But I’m interested in Hawkeye and Mandalorian, and I haven’t finished Clone Wars or Rebels yet. Those are the reasons I’d sub to Disney+.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1158845565880492033

Wow…that’s a deal.

6 Likes

Your move, HBO MAX, Warner Media and Netflix.

Base Hulu in the bundle is slightly disappointing. I fucking hate ads and commercials. It’s why I don’t watch cable TV anymore.

So I hope they have a plan for Disney+/Hulu+/ESPN+

1 Like

I dont care about ESPN at all (ducks tomatoes from all guys)

Hulu seems to have some shows I missed that I would like to watch like Legion and some upcoming stuff like the MODOK and Howard the Duck animated shows. But as Stu said, having commercials for that service but none for the other 2 (If I understand correctly) is lame.

Increase it to $15 and make Hulu ad free!

3 Likes

And that it wasn’t a sign of the times and accepted as perfectly fine by people during those times.

2 Likes

I’d likely be using Hulu the least…

With ESPN+…I can watch UFC without possible ramifications.

Disney+…self explanatory.

6 Likes

I already have a base Hulu sub so I’m hoping I can just add Disney+ to it. ESPN+ would be good for UFC cards.

I knew I was getting it but damn Disney, you trying make a brother become a cord cutter ain’t you?