The Difference in power is now clear - The Raven Matchup Thread

1. Yes, it’s his main footsies tool, and there’s not much you can do about it if you’re not playing a character like Vega who can out-range him. You’ll have to bait him to whiff it by walking out of range and then punishing the whiff. Alternatively, you can walk into its range and block, and if he chains into HP, use your frame advantage to walk forward into your poking range.

2. A good Hwoarang player doesn’t really use the overhead string (because it’s slow and unsafe), but you should be able to punish it with a crouching MK.

Thanks a lot man! I tested the overhead and it really is punishable by c.MK, you just have to be on point with your timing. The trick is to press the button right after he hits you, you can’t wait until he finishes the move.

I have some gripes against the character but I can’t remember everything now, gonna keep on practicing.

Updated with Ssj2jeffs writups on Kazuya & hugo and yes hugo is effing FREE no matter how good the person is as long as you dont suck with raven lol

Im interested in Dhalsim and Rufus matchups… i have yet to beat a team using dhalsim yet rufus i can manage. Every dhalsim team ive delt with was a really good player and understood spazing and zoning very well

i play dahlsim pretty often too and it can be annoying depending on how the opponent plays. for instance, sim s.lk is 3 frames, it has surprising low range, it’s unwhiff punishable and when he chains it to s.mk>s.hp he’s fucking safe, unless you have a 2 frame super like julia or ken. so in the middle of my blockstrings he would just throw it out. if it hits he brings in hugo and does stupid damage if it’s blocked he’s safe.

so i finally figured out the answer to beat this; ravens f.mk. used as a tech trap it will go over sims and on counter hit you can combo s.lp.

as for the nuetral/zoning games. it’s pretty straight foward if you have the lead sim can’t do much to come back, so you just maintain your lead and chip away at him slowly. i use alot of neutral jump shurikens, and grounding shurikens.

-if he does a low tiger knee teleport, you can jab it.
-if he jumps and teleports, you can jump at him and j.mk.
-if he does yoga fireball teleport, you nuetral jump j.mk.
-if you throw a ground shuriken just before he throws his yoga fireball you can teleport foward and punish it.
-you can sweep his limbs.
-jab>sweep option select still works for backdashs. if he blocks the sweep won’t come out as long as you didn’t plink it too early.

my main sparring partner plays sim/hugo so i have pretty decent experience with it. i have a few notes on the hworang match up too, i’ll post that later