"Target Sighted!" The Jill Valentine Matchup Thread Updated~!

This.
Drones are by far my biggest bane in the assist department. Zero camping is also a problem.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure MGS (then X-Factor if you hit and land in range) is the best response to both of these.

EDIT: Oh poopie, NSR’s ninja post says exactly that.

Indeed. If you’re near sentinel during an assist call, just instant overhead him. The Zero’s buster will miss/whiff thus limiting his options. The instant overhead can be converted into a full safe combo as well.

I’m quitting marvel, so about a day or two before I leave I’m going to put all my Match making opinions and advice in the first post and you guys can contribute without me.

Twas fun guys.

Missing you already =(

Dat married life rush down, I’ll miss you for sure bro.

Don’t worry, Imma hook you guys up with some dumb Jill madbeast Tech on the 10th (selling Marvel the 11th).

Keep repping Jill peeps, she needs exposure.

Anyway, I’m going to start input the matchup stuff now, because I’m lazy and have to do a huge final write-up on jill for Gamefaqs later.The akuma matchup is much like the Ryu one, except this time, Jill has to respect Akuma’s options a bit more then Ryu’s. If Akuma is trying to approach with any normal Dive Kick/j. palm confirms, Jill can easily swat him out of the air with her Somersault and Cartwheel. However, Akuma can stay a good distance away and one jill out, so be sure to move while you’re on the ground and he’s in the air to pressure him. Do not forget that all form of Jill command dashes have some sort of invincibility, if you see a dive kick coming you can neutral up dash then go into an overhead S to counteract and punish it.

Defensively, Akuma has the same options as Ryu, without the invincibility, or the dumb ass jamaican Leg’s. This allows Jill to respect him a bit less, and not have to worry about your defense as much as your offense. Watch out for his teleport however, it’s more ambigious then it seems. His tatsu’s are quite safe, but Somersau;t them when you see one come or dash for the invinciblity, his L one is -1 on block, which gives time to punish with a s.L HOWEVER he can cancel one tatsu into another so be sure to be cautious. Akuma has a very strong DP as well, so approaching by her normal Command dash overhead isn’t the best option. Preferably, use her 6H overhead to break into his defense and iniate your offense. His DP Hyper is still extremely good, and contains alot of invincibility so be sure to keep your offense tight. Akuma’s throws are actually much better then Ryu’s due tothe fact that he can iniate a full scale combo off of them, so watch for throw setups, and abuse jill’s Rapid fire L,and cr.L to avoid them at all costs. Somer Akuma’s like using his Beam as a punish tool, jill can stuff it with MGS, but that’s distance realitive, so it’s better that you block it, or have a tight enough offense that you don’t let him throw one out.

Offensively, Jill doesn’t have to worry about invincibility. Be sure to approach with your feral dash, and Use it to outmaneuver him in the air, being ready to mix him up once he comes down. Somersault and Cartwheel should go without saying. Do not let him get more than a midscreen distance away without pressure, because than he could iniate his zoning skills much easier and try to lock you out.

Xfactor stupidness: In level 3 xfactor, Akuma gets a whole new derp level. However, unlike DP and the other greats, he still retains his old moves and his old problems. Just be sure to watch for Tatsu’s and divekick’s while your still pouring the offense on level 3 xfactor Akuma. Also, his beams become much stupider. Depending on his bars, I recommend Going into the air a little more and playing it a bit safer, don’t Feral dash as much if your more than a midscreen away, and jump+Block more.

DONT MIND ANY OF THAT

I think Haggar is all bad for Jill. Lariat ruins absolutely everything. 50/50’s are far too dangerous to pursue since he can lariat and/or Level 3/command grab on wakeup. That thing even demolishes the somersault. Baiting it does little good since he can cancel it into Rapid Fire Fist which is invincible and forces you to either block or MGS.

Speaking of MGS, you can’t use it against Haggar. Almost every position on screen will make you slam into his Lariat, even near the start when you’d think invincibility would get you out of a pinch. Your get-out-free move is basically void. One solid confirm is the end of you with this guy, and he’ll have assists to eat you alive if you try to AA somersault his jumping pipes that completely outrange you and make even some somersaults too far out to do jump loops from.

Am I wrong? There just seems to be nothing good about this one for Jill.

I thought I covered this one, guess I didn’t. Against hagar, the match is STRAIGHT mind games and is a legit 5/5 matchup. Neither has the advantage because both characters cancel the other’s out. Like Hulk, your going to have to play it a bit differently depending on the meter that your opponent has. When Haggar has a bar or more, the match is going to contain alot of yomi.

A common misconception w/ the matchup is that jill can’t somersault, but here’s where the multi-salting comes in handy. You can throw one out, cancel it back on the 9th frame and SS when you see the Startup of Rapid fist and catch him.

You can Also somewhat mix-him up but that’s where the mind games come in. Your going to be using double and tripple overheads by going for your first overhead (22S 9S or 6H) then going for a Double Knee Drop Heavy. Usually the haggar player will see you going for the 9S Overhead and cancel to Lariat, thus allowing a Great punish on hit even if they choose to cancel into RF. Instead of relying on mixups, you can rely on simple spaced out lows, 22S L’s, and Feral Crouched 22S M’s.

Haggar’s crouching moves are Really good, so spacing is a big must. 22S and throw out Proper moves (22S M is great due to it’s frame trap properties and gigantic hitbox) and the before mentioned 22S L. You can also throw out some Arrow Kick feint baits as well and go into The Double knee Drop heavy shenanigans when near him if successfully baited.

If he doesn’t have meter you can play much less cautiously and punish lariat attempts. DO NOT FORGET, LARIAT TAKES HAGGAR’S HP. There’s no need to rush, bait it as much as you can until haggar makes a mistake.

Haggar can’t rely on j.Pipe anymore because jill will beat it clean whenever he does it near her. Trust me, the range of Somersault is just as good as Pipe. Don’t be afraid to combo into MGS immediately if you see an assist coming or 22S,22S,c.M, 22S–> Dash,22S Somersault to catch his tech and evade the beam. That only works if you know the beam is comming and guess the haggar player’s tech correctly.

Another topic is to Lock him down via assists. This causes three things

1. It prevents him from calling an assist
  2. Puts you in the prime place to enact yomi
    3)He lariat’s your assist which opens your options to take out haggar.

The matchup is hard on both players since they are so evenly matched.

Yay, me getting bodied by zero players isn’t a coincidence. I really gotta figure that match-up out.

Christ, over character limit and people already posted. Anyone know how to use spoiler tags? The post on srk wasn’t too clear.

Spoiler

[spooiler] text text text [/spooiler]

That, only without two o’s

Thanks!

Final question, do you know how to get Text next to the Spoiler warning tag itself?

NSR best jill ever

Spoiler

[spooiler= NSR best jill ever] whatever your spoiler info is here [/spooiler]

Matchups are fun to discuss, so I’d like to start a discussion.

As far as I can tell Jill can’t really confirm decent damage off of SJ height worth poop, especially if she’s fighting someone like Trish who can just sort of hang around up there and throw stuff at you, leaving Jill in serious need of an assist or character to swap to capable of reaching there against such characters if my assumption is true. MGS will reach easily, but it doesn’t have enough hitstun to bring them down to earth where you can tear them apart.

Against Trish specifically, I’ll continue assuming the best you can do is zip around in feral stance to avoid hopscotches and low voltage bolts and just wait to somersault her inevitable dive kick.

Jill really is a point character through and through.

Pretty much why I advocate having an-anti air so much. Jill with no anti-air assist has a very hard time dealing with the trish matchup, because Trish controls both the y-axis, and the immediate x axis below her. The only real options jill has are Somersaults on her dive kick, which don’t work on trish players since her dive kick is cancelable via other special moves, and MGS. However, with an anti-air assist, it brings them down immediately on hit which is exactly what jill wanta, and on block it brings them down low enough for you to bypass the traps and reach Trish. Anti-air assists alone turn the bad-matchup into a somewhat even one.

I tried to play her with out an anti air assist by hard tagging my zoner on my team but eventually I fell in line and had to put one on the team and strider does work great for her in those situations.

New and fresh thread: "Target Sighted"! Jill Valentine Matchup Thread V2!