Super Street Fighter II Turbo, in the house

How would an N. Ryu deal with an O.Sagat? Even though N.Ryu’s main strategy is dependent on fireballs, O.Sagat’s come out faster.

To be honest, I didn’t know about the PSX version having that many problems with inputs. I mainly looked for animation problems and hit box problems but from what I am hearing there are more problems than meets the eye. The DC version is horrible. The Saturn version is worse. The ONLY port I have seen that is perfect is SF Collection 2 with SF2, SF2 CE and SF2 HF for PSX. Thats it. As for ST, I have yet to see a perfect arcade translation.

The only way to have a no excuse clean cut tournament for this game is to have it on arcade hardware…either supergun, game cabinet or something. I am sure the ST community can come up with a solution to present to next years EVO organizers.

If I recall correctly, people offered to lend Evo superguns/PCBs/AES systems, etc. but Mr. Wizard was having none of it.

Ryu has a short hurricane that goes over low tiger shots and has excellent recovery time. Ryu can fight O.Sagat but it’s just more work. Don’t forget that once Ryu gets his Super charged it changes the game. O.Sagat can’t spam fb’s as much. True, Ryu can’t keep up with a fb fight for long but he has options that can get him in close to do damage.

superguns are relatively easy and cheap to make. i had to barely teach cigarbob how to do it, and he figured the rest out on his own with no prior knowledge, and his shit worked first time go.

the only thing about superguns is the converters being used for video to hook up to a tv. most converters i know of lag in some way. the one cigarbob has, however, lags in no way. people were playing xsf and st on it no problems. and me and kindebu were pulling off cc’s with no problems whatsoever in a3. especially kindebu, dude never missed shit.

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

thats the converter used…

jesse: why a no show this year? =/

Oh shit it’s Sabre

Ya’ll fucked up now

Yeah, I heard the ST cab that bob made was the highlight of the whole tourney. Wish I coulda seen it.

I couldn’t make it because my wife and I are trying to get into a new house and I also had to finish my car(its in the shop). I’ll be at next years evo polished and ready.

could someone tell me when meaty attacks are supposed to be perfectly safe? I played like 30 games of casual with Alex Valle on saturday and he was telling me how meaty attacks won’t be safe on certain characters. Also, Apoc was explaining how i can store the charge to Vega’s back flip kick. Anyone care to elaborate on that?

Meaty attacks are only safe against guys without an attack that either hits on the first frame, or is invincible until it hits. In practice they are safe against Bison (dictator) and um…Dhalsim. (Although he can reversal teleport) And Vega (claw) without a charge.

Meaty attacks are a big risk but you get a big reward if they connect. Most characters from SF2 HF(I think)have some sort of reversal frame(s)where they can either throw or counter attack. There have been times where I KNOW I perfectly timed a meaty only to be throw right out of it.

The way I see it, I am betting that my opponent will fuck up his reversal and if I win the bet then it’s all good. If I lose then I eat some damage.

So in short, meaty attacks are never “safe”…they are more like “risky”

Yes, Dhalsim doesn’t really have many options in a dizy situation. Depending on character, your best option is to go for a noogie grab then you can get a cross up forward slide into double headbutt. This will dizzy the opponent AGAIN. Unfortunately it only works guaranteed on Chun li (u all can see me do it to NKI on 3v3 LOL) and on Vega. If you have super charged obviously you can go in for just the raw super damage or early rh drill, low short super. My opinion, if they are near death I will just go for the flip throw,(mainly because even if they tech it near death…it does full damage) if not I will do noogies so I can set up another tick throw trap or space them to the distance i want them in. Dhalsim really has no other option that is practical.

J-Cole

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

You can ask anyone who watched me play at Evo, I am absolutely terrible at XSF, and I should not be allowed to teach that game to anyone. Besides, school and work are starting up again, so I won’t really have time to play anything anyway.

Same thing you should do as N.Ryu against Sim, and the same thing I do in practically every match when playing as Chun: don’t fight until you have meter. The round is totally different (in your favor) when you have meter, so why bother attacking before then? Just trade fireballs, Short HK over some low ones, etc until you get meter. Yeah, you may have to block a few, but that’s OK. He’ll stop shooting once you get that meter.

But the important thing is once you get it, for the love of god, don’t just throw it away. So many times people will just use the super as soon as they get it. The reason you spent all the effort building meter is to land that 50% damage.

Practically all meaties come with a risk, because any character can reversal throw you, so unless you’re out of their throw range, it’s not safe. Chun has a few exceptions, though. One is her “magic” st.Fierce (the double palm), which is completely unthrowable about half the time (randomly). If she does a meaty st.Fierce, and you successfully input a reversal throw command, you will not get a reversal throw, but you will hear your normal whiff. If you were holding towards, you get hit; if you were holding back, you block. It happens randomly, and I don’t know why.

Chun’s D/F+RH (the best normal ever) is a completely safe meaty against a lot of characters if done right. If the opponent doesn’t try to reverse, they will be forced to block it, but if they do reverse, most characters still lose:

-Guile’s Flash Kick will completely whiff (backwards)
-Ryu’s DP will be blocked (backwards)
-Zangief’s lariat will lose cleanly
-Deejay’s upkicks will completely whiff (backwards)

Etc.

Or maybe Valle was talking about safe jump-ins? You can time a jump-in meaty enough so that it will force the opponent to block if they don’t reverse, but if they do reverse, you can block their reversal. This works because there are practically zero moves in ST that hit on the first frame. Ken’s Fierce DP might, but I’m not sure. His Jab and Strong DPs don’t, and Ryu’s DPs don’t either.

You have to initially charge D/B, but after you have it charged, you can let go of down and just charge back. Not as useful as Chun’s stored super or Honda’s stored slam, but good to know, I gues…

-Nicholai!

NKI IS MY DVD DADDY! :clap:

nick: its crazy how much better youve gotten at st. my hats off to you bro. just watching you tear shit up on the cabinet. i dont think we ever got a game in at all tho IIRC =/ guess all that time in japan really paid off and now reaping the benefits hehe.

sorry off topic

I believe all console versions of SF2 are based on the Japanese arcade, which would mean that none of them are perfect to us.

The example Choi cited for me (re: HF) is Dhalsim’s slide as anti-air vs. shotos. In the JPN version, shotos can hit it; in the US version, they can’t. In all home versions, they can.

This is suck!
RYU BEST MAN!

Well, anyone think Evo can have a change of heart if the community can come up with some sort of standard that is both convenient and precise when it comes to playing the games??

yo nki, it was nice finally meeting you despite we didnt get any games in.

anyways more questions:

-whats this i hear about balrogs hp being duckable? and which version does this apply to?

-i heard something about CE sagats tiger uppercut unblockable. any idea how its done?

-how do you “combo” bisons scissor kick into a throw. most of the time i tried it, i get thrown afterwards but there are a few times i can get my throws in.

-can any anti chun tricks with new sim be ported over to old sim?

is there a link to the evo footage?

Wtf?

No, it’ll be on the DVD. Buy the DVD and support future Evo tourneys.

of course im going to buy the dvd

nki said this:

“No, thank YOU SIR!! Your cabinet was the best part about Evo for me (and a lot of other peeps, too). Currently encoding the ST footage. I’ll let everyone know when it’s done.”

is that for the DVD then? if so then my fault thought he was gonna put some random footage up.