Strong Honda Alternate?

fei has better normals, more damaging normals and much better anti airs. his standing hk beats almost all of hondas jump ins. and of course, ex rekkas punish every headbutt attempt.

and this is based off ssf4, not ae, which honda was wayy better in.

^Yeah, that was in Super, I believe.

In other news, I’ve had a change of heart. I honestly just don’t give a crap anymore. I’m not discouraged or anything - I just don’t think that counter-picking is worth the time you have to put into learning the ins-and-outs of a completely different character. If you like Honda, just stick with him. You’ll probably do better in the end, anyway. If you want to have good match-ups against almost everyone and increase your chances of taking a tournament, then pick someone near the top of the competitive tier list. OR, be a beast with your favorite char and take it anyway.

EDIT: The above post was coming from my experience with ST. I’m now aware that AE is NOTHING like ST, and probably never will be. Thus, pick up a freaking sub, and make sure they cover your bad match-ups… Good lord, why can’t this game be awesome?!

from your list id choose akuma.

ive been bouncing around 10 people to find a good alt. i finally found the perfect one tho. rose. god.

I love this thread. I hope we get more discussions going on as 2012 progresses. I got counter picked at a tourney last week by a Juri player (he decided to use Chun as I said that I was a Honda main (a real one, no other characters in my arsenal)). I’ve been thinking about working on beefing up my alternate roster to some day be able to counter-pick or counter-counter-pick.

Abel or Ken?
I like them both. I’m much more familiar with Ken and have some of his mechanics down. But I feel like Abel would be a great help in some of Honda’s bad matchups (mainly sim). I’ve been watching videos and I really like him. It’s gonna be hard work though. What do you guys think?

Someone just suggested Abel to me, too – said he takes care of all of Honda’s bad match-ups. Maybe there’s something to that… I’ve never really played Abel seriously.

And about Fei, I’ve tried playing him recently, and I think he’s pretty cool. I like the way Honda feels more, but Fei might be better at everything Honda is good at. :-/ What do you guys think?

cammy has great zone. if you can play her good at all ied go with her.
she has good health and the zone game to compliment the skill you already have with honda.
your other characters are too unbalanced. yes they may have a decent spot on the tier list but for most its high risk for high reward. lol, cammy is more like low risk high reward. thats why i think cammy is so high to begin with.

Any character that laughs at KD mixups would be a great pick IMO.

I’d play a freaking shoto if I could throw I damn fireball without eating a jump in combo.

-Sent from my Jelly Bean Nexus 7

I’m thinking of bringing back my old main/alt combination of Honda and Chun. Abel sounds good though, I feel I might like his playstyle too once I get the hang of it.

I wonder if Rose as an alt to Honda would work…

I used to Honda/Chun back in the day (SF2)

Early days in SF4 but may go with Makato, is this a bad idea?

I have been playing a Guile and while he does a bit better in certain matchups (Sagat, Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Dhalsim) he still blows vs. Seth. Fei Long plays much more like Honda and I have been playing him lately and he feels way better than Guile. You have a great move to punish (rekkas) he has a DP for anti-air, he has a command grab, rekkas can also poke from a distance like a headbutt but are WAY safer, he is just awesome. His normals have insane priority. i just need to get my execution with him a little better than im gonna take him online. Hope he doesn’t get nerfed. Guile is fucking hard to play online, so many matchups that i blow up with honda I can’t do anything but sit and block in the corner with Guile.

I personally think Abel is the best alternate for Honda. Well, he is also my 2nd main, haha.
He covers almost every bad match for Honda - Ryu/Sagat/Guile/Sim/gouken/Seth. Fei Long is the only exception. But Abel’s style is completelly different from Honda’s. I had a lot of hard time adjusting to his style.

Fei Long is also a good choice, but since he is top tier, he is a good choice for almost anyone, lol.