Street Fighter the Movie Broke My Heart

Doesn’t that question come into into mind when shitty games get released? We only wonder what the hell quality check team was on when they decided to release such a game. I for one, would like to get an opinion of how people saw a shitty game once and for all before they released it.

TaSemenMonkeyMadPoo = TatsuMakiSenpuuKyaku :rofl:

Shoroooken = Shoryuken =/

I can’t complain about the arcade release - serious tourny fighter? No. fun way to kill time? YES. I had a ball playing it a few evenings ago. It was broken, and MvC2 is a sign that broken games are just fun. I kinda want to go home and play it now actually.

• :bluu:

Akuma was portrayed by Ernie Reyes Sr, dad of Ernie Reyes Jr, TEH SURF NINJAAAAAAAA!

Therefore, he is full of win. Obviously he was meant to be the most broken character in the game.

On a side note: Wow, comedy threads in FGD? There’s a first…

What about MVC2?

Thanks for sharing Anoon. Hearing about the process of making the game is very interesting.

I have a question for later once I have the info in front of me.

Posting in legendary thread.

Semi-serious question: Why were Strata so bad at making music? Rather, what kind of sound system were they using? It sounded like something that belongs on some modded-out bootleg Genesis soundcard.

Haha is that true? Im a big fan of his demo team (West Coast Action Team) or now, Loopkicks. Ever since like 99.’ They’re my trick idols

is taaats! maaak! senpuuu ! KYAAAAKK!

Ok, back again. thanks for the positive responses to the thread itself, even if the game doesn’t deserve much (any!?!) praise on its own!

So I have about 5 or 6 pages going at the moment, and I’m starting to think maybe I should get some of this cleared with my former employer, Incredible Technologies. I’m pretty sure I’ve not included anything questionable from a legal stand point, but I’m still on good terms with those guys, so I’d like to give them a heads up on what I’m about to post. Who knows, maybe they will give me access to some of the goodies they still have so I can share them with you.

I’ll answer a few more questions while I’m on my lunch break…

Honestly, I cannot remember why. He really doesn’t say it? It’s been so long since I’ve played the game. I do know that Jean Claude was, ummm… “interesting” to work with. As part of our deal, we stipulated that we’d have each actor available to us for digitizing and sound recording for at least 8 hours. Being the star he is, Jean Claude could only afford us 4 hours, unfortunately. It is very possible we never did a sound session with him. I do not remember doing one with him. Maybe I was focused on other stuff at the time.

So I see there are a lot of questions related to characters. Rightfully so. They probably each deserve a dedicated section each, so I won’t say too much here about why one over the other may or may not have been included. I’ll add those to my doc for posting later. Please hang tight! There are probably going to be some unexpected surprises to be found. I just finished 2 whole pages on one character in particular that I’m sure will be of interest to Street Fighter fans. I’m cracking up about it now as I finish the section.

Game dev is a long and complicated process. You can have the best license, the best engine or hardware, or maybe the best ideas ever, but it only takes one or two weak links in the chain to doom the whole thing. You try to do your best to make something special, but often time it just doesn’t come together. As a life long devotee to video games, I can assure you that it is absolutely soul crushing to put so much of yourself into something, only to know that it isn’t going to be all that you had hoped. Given unlimited time and resources, every game could be polished into something good, but the reality is that there are very real monetary concerns or time constraints. At some point, the game just needs to be done.

Funny, after watching the Youtube link below, I was struck by how bad the sound was too! I’m afraid sound wasn’t my thing, so I can’t really comment on the hardware itself. I remember being impressed with the talents of the sound guys that were at I.T./Strata while I was there, so I’m not sure what the deal was.

Well, the general SFX weren’t bad honestly(for the time…), but the music is downright terrible. Kinda par for the course considering Strata’s game history.

whats the deal with sawada?

So Ken says “Hurricane!” and “Dragon!”… but yet he still says “Hadouken!”, too. Huh?

Interesting to hear about what went on behind the scenes with this game. Thanks for sharing with us!

this thread is great, i too think sf the movie is great fun, and the graphics are really neat(health bars exploding after super finish and such!) . sure its broken but arnet like MOST fighters from that era broken?

its no super turbo but its definatly compairable to mortal kombat 1,2 or 3 IMO and graphically superior to all 3…also IMO

Speaking of the sound, is there any way to turn background music off while still keeping sound effects on? I know there are some codes that can be used to access “classic” soundtracks, but it would be nice if there was a way to turn it off entirely for combo video editing purposes.

MvC2 design is a stroke of genius combined with about 50 lightning strikes of pure luck. Somehow that game magically ended up with number of very complicated checks and balances that still give the most advanced tournament players enough of a guessing game / mindgame / rock paper scissors game to be satisfying. I mean, the true test of a good tournament game is whether the person winning the matches comes off as the person with the most skill. If it always looks like it could have gone either way, always looks like winning is a matter of luck, then it’s not a good tournament game. MvC2 gameplay has some elements of luck but most of the time you can tell that there are mindgames going on and that somebody just plain got outsmarted.

On the other hand, SFTM has a lot of restrictions on the combo engine but also a lot of very easy ways to get around them. Once you figure out some practical corner infinites, finding midscreen infinites is easy and then you have instant death combos from almost any situation. There’s no assists to cover your attacks, there’s no second or third character to come in should you make a mistake, and matches can be over at the 5-second mark.

Of course, as everyone knows, there’s no end to the fun you can have playing around with the combo engine of a “broken” game. Especially if it has Street Fighter characters in it.

Thanks for the response Anoon! Yeah, my question was regarding one of the characters. I’ll post it up and maybe you can pass it along or put something in your Doc regarding it.

OMFG, were you the actor for the character Blade???

The guy who acted for Blade (Arkane, Khyber, F7) was Alan Noon. And since this guy is “anoon” then…I’d say that’s a safe bet.

Also, the guy who played Sawada was really named Sawada. Lack of imagination?

Yes i believe he said earlier that, among other things, he was also credited as an actor in the game.

I too would also like to know what character he did if thats true:looney: