STEAM SALE! Skullgirls 33% off! Only until January 2nd, 2014

Skullgirls is on sale 33% of for Steam winter sale. Will last til Jan. 2. So for 10 bucks you’ll get the game plus 4 DLC characters. Unfortunately Squigly’s free run ended Nov. 22nd so she is a pay dlc now. There may be 50% off or more during a flash or daily sale during this time period so keep ears tuned.

For those that don’t know much about the game…let me point a few things out.

Firstly though the cast is indeed small (with the DLC characters it will end up being 13). It can’t be understated how different and unique and at times groundbreaking each design is. Here are a few descriptions.

-Squigly can sing to alter the stage. It forces the character a certain distance towards her, and temporarily brings the corner right behind opponent. This can be used in many various ways. In addition Squigly has 2 stances each which can be charged so that every move in the stance you’ve charged is powered up with new properties. She can stance cancel to cancel the recovery of moves also.

-Big Band is the only character in the game with 3s parries. He also is the only character with a taunt in which you can free form jazz solo on the trumpet using all the pitches of a real trumpet. This powers up his supers.

-Valentine is the fastest character. Her syringe projectile can be loaded with 3 different vials, each of which that can be powered up 3 times. One toxin is a poison which continuously drains opponent’s health, one greatly increases the hitstun and blockstun suffered by opponents, and one imposes 6f of input lag on the opponent.

-Upcoming Elisa will get stronger as she takes more damage. She will spill copious amounts of blood as she is taking damage, she can then use this blood in various ways on the opponent.

-Painwheel is the high damage dealer, and also the only character that can free fly. She can fly, unfly really quick. Fans of marvel should know how this works.

-Fortune can detach her head, and manually control it regardless of where it is on screen. So with controlling her body and head separately she can make it very unpleasant for opponent. In addition her moves change depending on weather head is attached or detached.

1. The game is in the Guiness book of world records for having the most frames of animation per character. If anyone played Darkstalkers, Skullgirls is similar in that seeminly every frame is wildly varied and tons of transformations and such. This is better seen than believed…check this thread which fans have posted their favorite screenshots.

skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/whats-your-favorite-animation-in-skullgirls.1027/

1. Soundtrack is by famed Castlevania composer Michiru Yamane who created the soundtracks for Bloodlines and the all the games from Symphony of the Night-Order of Ecclesia. It is glorious.

2. There is an endless beta where the devs are constantly testing and working on things. There is a direct line between the creators and the players to provide input and feedback and opinions.

3. It uses GGPO. The netcode is absolutely superb, rollback based but you’ll rarely suffer these noticeably as long as ping is under 200. Oh yeah…ping. No generic bars, you have an exact number so you can decide if you want to play or if the number is too high.

4. The best training mode and tutorial of any fighting game. Lobbies where everyone plays everyone, you don’t have to spectate unless there is an odd number of people.

5. A story mode for each character.

6. Though it is a team fighter, your team can be 1, 2, or 3. The less characters you go with the more damage they deal and the more stamina they’ll have.

7. Custom assists. You can choose ANY attack/throw of a character as your assist.

A staple of competitive skullgirls play is throw-resets. So during a big combo you need to memorize where the reset points are and be ready to stop the mixup (hi-low-throw) because most characters can start full combos with throws.

This is by far the biggest criticism I have come across, many people think that throw-resets leading to full combos is stupid and mind-melting.

Before you purchase this you should consider this. Currently MikeZ is tweaking the game to drastically shorten combos, effectively eliminating every character’s optimal combo, when this change drops the game changes too, and maybe throw-resets become less of a big deal because shorter combos means less reset points, means less mix-ups into throw resets.

The second biggest criticism is invincible assit calls. Each character has one move which has an invulnerable startup during the assist call, these are extremely popular choices due to the raw power a disjointed invulnerable hitbox provides. MikeZ is tweaking the game to have significant scaling on assit moves when used to start combos in order to address this.

That said I love skullgirls and truly believe it’s the best 2D fighting game currently out, even with these criticsms.

Skullgirls is on flash sale now, 50% off! $7.49 will get you the game plus 4 yet to be released DLC characters. Sale ends in less than 6 hours.

I think this game looks fantastic, the sprites and animation are wonderful. This is the kind of sharp style that 3D simply cannot recreate in my opinion. ^o^

The atmosphere, mood and music of the game suits me too, and the gameplay I like a lot as well. As someone who plays Arcana Heart, Melty Blood and MvC I can immediately get accustomed to the mechanics of this game.

Moved to the Skullgirls forum.