So i have a video game concept.wut do i do?

exactly how does one go from having a video concept to acually presenting itself to a studio? is anyone in the industry that knows the steps it takes to do this?

Although i’m not in the gaming industry, I do know a thing or two about marketing/advertising. Let other people do the work. Seriously.

Example. If your concept is similar in nature to an already existing successful product/service, use that as a base. It gives your audience something they can relate to easily. Use data and statistics associated with the existing product, that way you can prove that product, or similar ones (which will be yours), are financially viable and profitable.

Obviously, you would have to show how your product, although similar in nature, is better/different than the existing product. With that, you’re on your own.

But I think you get the general idea of using existing, successful, and similar product/service to introduce your audience to your general topic, focus on data statistics associated with the product (to prove profitability, target market, etc), and then demonstrate how your product will be better, potentially targeting a broader range of the market because of X, Y, Z (X,Y,Z = your ideas).

edit: this is just ONE approach at presenting a product/service. There are numerous ways to approach a presentation. It’s always good to know your audience prior to presentation. If you have a bunch of old-man “suits” listening to you, then I’m sure they’ll want to hear about fact/figures/profit/statistics/trends. If you’re talking to actual developers, then technical feasibility/coding/etc will probably the emphasis of conversation. Again, my advice is just ONE way to go about presenting material to an audience. This is not the only way.

your saying use another game as a jumping platform to explain my game so people can relate. But also explain why my game is unique or superior to the already existing product?

yeah, but don’t put too much emphasis on how great the other guy’s game is. Example, you’re presenting a console FPS. You might use Halo as your base to make people familiar with what the hell you’re going to be talking about, use the raw data/statistics to prove that there’s a strong consumer market for that specific genre, and list specific examples of why there’s still room for another console FPS (yours) in an already crowded market.

From there, you’d introduce your game. Using Halo, point out everything that it did right, how you’ll expand on that, while making it your “own”. But at that point, focus on how many thig Halo did wrong (cite reviews from publications, reader reviews, etc.) and how your game would do them right. You might have to invest in getting a cost analysis done and talking to a copyright/patent lawyer (standard procedure in marketing when revising current product/service, or introducing new product/service).

Presenting products/services to a potential buyer is tough and costly. Intellectual properties are even worse, because it’s harder to nail down exactly what is “yours”. Good luck.

Not to be a dick, but no one cares. EVERYONE in the videogame industry has a great idea. The industry doesn’t care about great ideas, it cares about great execution. No one wants to pay for your idea then work on your idea when they could just work on their own idea.

If you want to make videogames as in you personally make them - I would just try to document as much of your great idea as possible. Include charts, maps, props anything that would help. Use that as sort of a resume when you go to the interviews but don’t expect to make this or any other game you come up with for a while. Eventually you may get your shot but it’s a long road in all honesty.

OR…you could form a startup company and this idea of yours could be the first project.

Derek Daniels

the truth, but a little advice never hurt anyone. some people do not understand the basic principles of giving a professional presentation (school presentations don’t count). most people never really need to.

if this guy is serious about presenting his idea to a company, then he should at least have SOME idea of where to start. Not saying my suggestion is guaranteed to work, but at least it gives him one way to approach the situation.

Haha you are very correct. Maybe i’m just too bitter since i’ve been in the videogame industry for like 6 years now.

Original Poster - listen to this guy and you’ll probably go far in life with whatever you choose to. Listen to me and you’ll be a grumpy videogame developer. haha

Derek Daniels

get a marketable skill to a game developer, then propose this idea, and make it as well documented as possible.

without a marketable skill (hint: lots of money is a marketable skill!), it won’t get anywhere. can you draw at a professional level? have you done level design before? can you make music? can you program? do you have experience in the Q&A field? if so these can get you a job with a developer, from there you actually have a feasible chance at making your idea come to fruition if its good, well thought out, and the studio likes it.

i can shit out 50 ideas a minute, but i would probably make a horrible team leader, and have no marketable skills besides having an excellent grasp of balance and know a lot about games already that have been designed. and that’s the reason i can’t make one of my 50 ideas a minute come to be.

I’m currently an art major in the graphic design program at my college. I work at a up and coming video game seller, think a gamestop type place. We currently are one of the top e-bay stores, we also have a physical store in framingham,ma and are thinking of opening in other locations. but honestly my current job isnt important. I’ve talked to a few people about the idea, and they all loved it, but that doesn’t mean much if i don’t know how to access people in the industry about it. I’m currently looking at the local game companies in the massachusetts area to see who is looking for an artist. I wasnt sure if that was the way to go about getting my idea through, but apparently it is. I didn’t know if the gaming industry was like the movie industry where to get your idea heard you hire an agent who is your legal representation when presenting ideas.

Personally, I’d just make the game myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

“art major in graphic design” and you are a video game retailer ain’t gonna get you far.

you probably need an applicable skill in creating a video game, whether its hammering out bugs, drawing the actual art within the game, etc. unless you can texture map with that degree, you will not be creating a video game any time soon. you don’t need an agent, you need to be in the industry or have a pile of money to hire people to make the game for you, or somehow hire a ragtag group of spunky young up and comers with nothing to lose to create the greatest game known to man who will work for free.

maybe your idea is so absolutely amazing that when you present it to a game company, they’ll love it.

when they do they’ll just steal it from you :slight_smile:

note that while it’s possible to actually make your game, with no skills and little involvement with the game industry, it’s going to be close as fuck to impossible.

i’m not trying to be a dick or anything but it’s how it is, like i said, i can shit out 50 ideas a minute, anyone can, that’s why ideas are worth jack fucking shit in the scheme of things. to create you need an active part of the process and people who will work on YOUR idea, and not theirs.

the best skill to pick up, that’s transferable from your degree, is learning to texture map, draw or do level design. your best bet is to just pick up from tutorials off the internet, keep at it and make a portfolio. level design can be done by just picking up any game that has a free mod kid, and make mods, levels, you name it. i like dicking around with the warcraft 3 toolkit a lot but i’ve made nothing decent, for example.

What’s so great about your idea?

i mean does it have anything to do with gameplay-mechanics, or story of a videogame?

because if you got a great story, usually one would speak to an agent to facilitate it to many publishers for read. And from there ull find out if they like it or not. but that’s for novels, i don’t know if it’s the same as the videogame industry. But i wud presume you cant just fuking walk up to Capcom and start presenting ideas, you’d have to go through a chain of commands. An agent being the person to bring it to attention of investors (EA, Konami, etc), but that cost moneyl it’s 5 grand for novels (just to bring this into perspective)…

My advice to you is, if you honestly, HONESTLY think your idea is brilliant, then fucking go through with it. Currently im majoring in Life science: biochem, but im minoring in philosophy and i’ve got a plan to write a book. Specifically on metaphysics–i know theres already an assload of theories out there, but i’ve got got one that will blow peoples mind (i honestly believe so). And let me tell you: i’d be fucked if i didnt go through with it. If you really believe in what you got there, don’t listen to what anyone else says; go for your fucking dreams.

my idea involves new game mechanics in light gun games…so yes its the story and mechanics i’ve thought of.

Henaki: art is a very general field that goes easily in gaming due to character designs, environment,storyboarding blah blah blah. and they cant steal an idea thats copyrighted as well as anything posted online is legally protected from theft, so even if they try to steal the idea if its online first I’m safe.

i understand what your both saying.

No company will look at your idea if you aren’t employed by them. Legal issues and all. First, work at getting a job at a game company, and then propose your idea after you’ve been there for a while. I would say that after getting hired by a company, it’ll take two or three years before someone will listen to your ideas.

ahahahahahahahahaha no its not

to further elaborate: ideas are impossible to copyright, flat out plagarism is extremely easy to detect, but when you take the general concept of something and shift it around a little, or even creating your idea before you do would pretty much free them from any copyright infringement on their part. even then, a lawsuit would cost you a metric fuckton and unless its a no-name company, you’re going D grade lawyer vs A grade. you’d need a fucking open and shut case and the company to have made money to make your money’s worth.

art is a general field, but graphic design isn’t, if you do not actually have the ability to take almost anything in your head and put it on paper, you probably won’t get a job actually doing art.

The problem with graphic design is its a popular field of study. I would recommend getting a job as a game tester. Easy to get hired, and you at least have your foot in the door. If you establish yourself as having a good concept of game theory, it may give you a shot at helping design stuff. You would be working directly with the developers.

this too, it’s pretty much a “bullshit” major.

game testing probably won’t get you too far, because, as said before, you need a marketable skill, and unless you’re actually good at the Q&A process, you probably won’t get very further than a foot in the door.

logical, yes thats why i thought originally you needed some sort of an agent till i was corrected.

Well, I meant that you could be a game tester while you develop your skills, kind of along the lines of what Reno was saying. Once you’ve established yourself there, and have learned some skills of the trade, you’ll have a much better chance at getting your ideas heard.

I’d say graphical design is more of a “wishful thinking” major. Its something fun to do, but unlikely you’ll find work. This is why I’m not a music major :sad:

[quote=“Henaki, post:17, topic:21743”]

this too, it’s pretty much a “bullshit” major. [\quote]

that was rude.

You can’t just call someone’s career choice “bullshit”, he invested money, time and sweat to pursue his passion, who are you to say it’s “bullshit”?

judging by your constant repetition of “marketable skills” im pretty sure you know a dick-hair’s length about what’s going on in the game industry. Presenting yourself is just part of the issue, theres also many many other unforseen variables and factors, like the specific genre gaming firms are looking for, they wont care what a proponent has to offer if it’s not RPG related(for example), credentials, and bloody cost, to name a few to name a few.
Remember, he just wants to know how to present his ideas to the gaming firms, not actually create a fucking video game, so your whole “you probably need an applicable skill in creating a video game, whether its hammering out bugs…” argurment is in the garbage.

Further, i just wanna clarify i know jack-all wen it comes to gaming, but at least i KNOW i know nothing. I never worked in the gaming industry, i dont know jack shit, and i sure as fuck wouldn’t step on a guy’s career choice just from my lack of knowledge and haughty arrogance.

No offence, just fukin saying.