Sentinel Strategies/Tactics/Q&A Thread

c.M is one frame faster at 13 frames.

I feel like I have no options to approach with sentinel anymore people are becoming to good. Any low or overhead that connects dead. But looking at his tools I feel powerless. I mean sure if I hit someone with a jump s, it’s on or a crouching m, but he gets punished really easy. Standing h, crouching h, rocket punch is nice. But they can super cancel on reaction. His projectile same deal. Fly mixups results in everyone standing looking for the overhead and he can’t exactly fly from supers. Then he can’t block while flying. His combos sometimes land werid on some characters so adjustments are needed aduminy you got that close. Standing m is good but the range is short. I am trying to stop predictability.

lol looks like you hit a plateau, Im relatively new to playing sentinel but I think one of the big things about his offense is pressuring your opponent into making mistakes. Sent has next to no mix-up since he only has one low, so your not gonna open your opponent up using his “amazing” mix-up ability, but watching [media=youtube]LM0TVmrISns[/media] video has me believe you just apply pressure with his amazing air normals and your assist and eventually your opponent will make a mistake trying to either counter you, push block you, or escape from the pressure. Against most characters, all sent has to do is land one overhead and its gg.

Whats your team btw? I run she-hulk/sent/akuma, so I have unblockables with she-hulk whilst akuma helps me both zone and work on my corner pressure. Still working out the kinks though, tryna get to this level.

What I’ve been thinking about is which assists, combined together, could make for the optimized Sentinel. Similar to how a Phoenix team might care only about building 5 meters, if one were to try to design a team purely to have the scariest possible Sentinel, which assists would that involve?

Thinking out loud: So far I like Akuma tatsu, and a low assist would be grand. I’d love for it to be Wesker just because he’s so good on point as well, but it seems, going w/ the “optimize Sent” theme, Felicia might be the strongest low to mix with flying overheads. Doom missiles are good for Sent but I think can’t work in this context because we want 2 assists we can alternate back and forth to keep the pressure. Haggar could be pretty sick here too.

As mentioned above, Sent on his own isn’t quick enough for Magneto-esque mixups, but my theory is w/ the proper assists backing him, he could open people up something nasty. And w/ his damage output, it only has to work once!

Well I think what you need is one assist that helps his rushdown and one that helps his zoning, so anything from beams, lariat, gustaff flame, jam session, tatsu, you get the point. I don’t think their are any two assists that are optimal for sent, you might wanna play him full on rushdown and get the help of 2 rushdown assist, or go for unblockables with either a high/low assist, or both. It all comes down to how you wanna play sent the way I see it.

What is the best you can do after a full combo DHC into HSF, XFC -> ?
HSF, XFC, fly, wait, S, S, jump, H?
I’m trying to kill a character off of the initial game opening grab by building a bar and getting them into the corner with the first character, DHC into HSF, x-factor - but after all that I’m running into hitstun decay problems.

What do you guys think about Vergil - Judgment/Super Skrull - Orbital/Sent - Drones? Which out of Orbital or Stone Smite would better benefit the team?

Well imo I feel skrulls assists are just mediocre overall, was hoping they would give him meteor smash as assist(they pretty much gave strider meteor smash as an assist) but i digress. I believe orbital grudge has the most applications of all his assists and apparently(haven’t tested it out yet) the armor starts up faster on it so thats always welcome, but on your team your main assist is gonna be drones so I wouldn’t worry to much bout skrulls assist choice. Id try out all 3 of them to see if they help vergil extend his combos or anything like that.

Aight, thank man. Also, idk if this was already known but after for example c.ms,j.mmh,fly j.lmhs,call orbital grudge,l rocket punch it pops them high enough to where you can go for an air grab or mix it up w/ j.lmh,s,j.mmhs,etc in the corner.

Alright. So I just picked up Marvel and I am learning to play the robot. The BNB that I use for Sentinel is: (…), S, j.H xx Fly, j.L, j.H xx unfly, j.H, (land), S, j.M, j.M, double jump, j.M, j.H, j.S, (land), OTG follow up of choice. I can land it pretty consistently, but in the heat of a match an occasional error is inevitable.

The part that I’ll occasionally screw up in this combo, is j.L, j.H. What will happen is that I’ll hit it too early, so that I can’t follow up the relaunch. I will however notice when I hit it too early. So my question is, what kind of mix up can I start after I hit the unfly j.H and am waiting for my opponent to come down out of the air?

This is probably a super old general engine question, but why am I getting caught on the edge of the screen after a midscreen command grab?

I want to follow my opponent by either dashing or flying towards them but Sentinel seems to move really slow after sending his opponent to the other side of the screen, pretty annoying. Is there any way around this? If I get a command grab off midscreen I’d like to have some way to keep up the pressure if I can’t combo from it.

What you can do after a human catapult is do standing and crouching Neutralize together with an assist to keep the pressure going or a Hard Drive if your execution is up to par.

against a character like wolverine or doom who have annoying dive kicks… what is sent’s best option? S?

i’m a skrull player and i’m pickin up sent just now and i’m wondering about the exact same thing. i’ve generally always used OG because of the armor/get-of-me properties, and since sent has such good air limbs, the fact that the assist pops the opponent a bit high into the air should make for easy hit confirms (i haven’t tested).

but stone smite also present some interesting possibilities with the wall bounce and because there’s a delay before it hits. i haven’t tested it out but i think it might make a blocked or whiffed crM or sS safe (assuming you’re still facing the correct side). i’m personally going to run with stone smite first, just to see how it goes.

also, what i’m wondering is if i should go with regular drones or the bomb drones for my skrull? :stuck_out_tongue:

Against a character with a dive kick, a well timed st. :m: will make them think twice about being predictable with their offense. But remember, if they are doing low altitude dive kicks, your just gonna have to respect that shit cause sent doesn’t have anything fast enough, just push block at the right time and maybe blow a HSF to push them back out. But if they have the nerve to super jump dive kick, or dive kick at all from any height where sentinel isn’t visible you can st.:m:, or if your in the middle of whiffing an attack, just cancel into HSF.

Hey so…not sure if this is common knowledge, but I haven’t seen any Sentinels go for HSF hail mary against Hawkeyes. If you activate HSF roughly at cr. M range, Hawkeye’s level 3 will get stuffed. It’s pretty much a one-time only shot.

what about dash back st.:m: ?

That should work as well, and should be a lot safer as a matter of fact since you won’t be right under them if you mistimed it or something.

Yeah just be careful. Ive tried the backdash s.m against for exampe wolvies dive kick, and i find myself getting hit because a) you cant block during the backdash, and b) s.m is slow. but it works well against ppl that try to do full screen footdives with doom, for example. Also, standing S works well too.

so yeah, you have to really anticipate the dive kick, cus backdashing and doing s.m cant be done on reaction, youll simply get hit.

What i also like to do is just snuff out the dive kick with a nice quick j.m that will often catch ppl offguard, especially ppl trying to doom footdive since that move is slower than other dive kicks. But like jak d ripper said, low altidude dive kicks just have to be respected.

By the way Fernando, I believe I’ve found a way to combo into j.:m: (that Nice & Simple video I uploaded)for even bigger damage and I will try and get it here for all the Big Papa Pump faithful

I know what you’re talking about. It’s kind of a bug. It happens sometimes when I finish a character with Spencer’s Bionic Maneuvers hyper and I try to wave dash when I’m on the other side of the screen.

Activating fly mode will ignore this. After the heavy command grab, activate flight and glide towards them and you can get an air L rocket punch XX Hard Drive into c.M, S, MMHS.