Samurai Spirits aka Samurai Shodown - 2019

not really. the mesh was not weighted to the bones well OR the bone rig was janky so joints on the model moved strangely and other parts didn’t move at all. it’s not just a lighting/render issue.

4 Likes

this looks so good that there must be some kind of catch. the characters have similar proportions to SS1 and 2, which i love. the hakama don’t look like nut-hugger bellbottoms and the animations are dynamic like the 2D SS games.

i’d buy a ps4 just for this if it didn’t come out on PC

2 Likes

Trailer breakdown on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/experimilk/status/1039200354024546304

https://twitter.com/experimilk/status/1039200480025604101

4 Likes

if Ikeno is doing the art design it explains why it looks so good

1 Like

If that’s the case, then the team that has done KOF XIV might want to switch to UE 4 instead of using their in-house engine for KOF XV’s development.

I recall reading somewhere was that the main reason they didn’t use UE4 was that they didn’t get the Japanese translation/manuals in time, or something like that.

In first glance it looks like stylized like Fantasy Strike, JJBA and SF4 but it’s the exact fit to the game aesthetics.

I hope this is 2D.5 with old school SS platform gameplay SS along with it’s classic mechanics.

SS for the longest time has lost it’s original vibe and have been trying to be the trendy titles like SC and toshiden in the years that past by. I hope this time more into going back to it’s roots.

No Gen-An?
No Wan-Fu?

“Uh-muck-saw Shiro To-gi-sada” (Amakusa Shiro Tokisada)

What do you hear the announcer say for Amakusa???

Love it!!!

EDIT:

Someone wrote:

“HOSUUURRRU— “SENRYO KYOSHIRO”!! ---- YAAAOOOOAAAH “HAOHMARU” !!!..my eyes begin to cry :(”

I always liked “Wong Fu”!!!

You know when “Wong-Fu” and his stage came along, shit was gonna go down!!!

2 Likes

Gen an and wan fu probably DLC along with

1 Like

What do you hear the announcer say for Amakusa???

Loving the sudden influx of SamSho content on social media. HiFight’s been sharing stuff on Twitter.

Full match here. http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2036119

2 Likes

Just got confirmation that Neo_G is directing this.

5 Likes

So in the end the rumor was true.

It looks alright thanks to the unreal engine

They brought back the blood and my fav character are in, so far so good.

I would have preferred a last blade 3 instead thou.

I’m not just into the overly exaggerated blood in here, SS back then was classy with the right amount of violence and blood they had compare to how MK and other digitized fighter that is also into gore.

1 Like

Uh, are you talking about the same game that had characters be split in two with a fountain of blood if killed witha big hit?

8 Likes

Anyone played the first two games seriously? What were tiers / match ups like?

Yup I am. They didn’t exaggerate on everything that made SS level of gore to be aesthetic.
SS is very stylish even from blood effect unlike MK clones selling point that used overly gore and mutilations in the most inadequately situations.

Wait you mean you never have a chance to try and experienced it back in the day?

SS Cabs were grabbing attention back in the day it’s minimalist gore compare to the other games along with awesome from sound and art.

Because historical context. While the blood in the originals may have been “minimalist”, it was still more than most other games at the time, with the exception of games like MK. It still stood out compared to the other games of that time.

Nowadays, the amount of blood you saw in the originals isn’t exactly rare anymore. So exaggerating the blood makes it stand out more, and more likely matches what people think they remember.

Besides, the way it sprays works when you consider how blood is portrayed in many stylized Samurai films.

I shed tears and I only played one match of Samurai Showdown in my whole life, 20 years ago in a laundromat. I can only imagine how actual fans feel.

Is there anyone here who plays Sam Sho enough to be knowledgeable? These games basically have no combos, right? It focuses more on footsies and reads is what I’ve gathered from my limited exposure to the series. I’m aware Sam Sho Sen had juggles but that was a blacksheep. Do you think this new game will continue that trend or will they try to “modernize” the game by adding at least SF2-level combos? I’m interested either way, just curious.

combos were really wonky and rare in SS1 and 2. SS4 is very combo heavy. the other 3D samshos feature combos as well.