S-Athena

vs Bison

Where I work, I play this guy who uses C Bison(2), Haoh, and Ken against my S Rock (2), Athena, Vega, often in no order.

The results were the same in all of our matches. My characters would fuck up Haoh, and Ken, but they all had problems against Bison.
There are times I owned Ken within the first 10 seconds of the match with S Athena. Haoh is just a little too predictable for me.
Athena took him too.
Bison however just has too much recovery on many of his moves, and can throw you just as soon as he does one you block.
We all know this.
It is beginning to get on my nerves. I didn’t have my x-arcade anymore, and my coordination isn’t good enough to use the d-pad on the PS2 as well, but I did manage to pull off the SCB tricks on him. It fucked him up often, but she’d be just too hurt and he’d get in somehow and kill her with two hits.

Vega and Rock had an easier time beating Bison, but it was actually Rock who scored the few wins I got.

Jae Hoon, can S Athena stand up to C Bison fairly well? I am beginning to think I must use the agressive style in desperation mode you mentioned. Next time I shall.
Do you mind telling how you usually fared during this matchup??

Its either 6 - 4 or 7 - 3 in favor of Athena. Bison has nothing to match her df, just be patient and dont be afraid to df alot.

I knew her df was good, but not so good as to score a win ratio against Bison like that… Impressive. Gonna try that next time, thx.

Found out that her lowjump Roundhouse into d.fp is good pressure.

Maybe lowjump Roundhouse into SCB is a good trick too… I’ll try that next time also. Not against Bison yet, I’ll try the d.fp first.

dragonpunch

I learned something interesting with her uppercut, dragonpunch or whatever its called…
After a knockdown, if you time the dragonpunch a moment before someone is able to wake up with a reversal, you have a strong chance of not being hit out of it. I noticed this a month ago, but didn’t have a chance to test it 'till last night.
My brother’s Iori let me get a sweep in, and I timed Athena’s dragonpunch to hit while people would normally imput the commands for a reversal.
The results were favorable. He was unable to safely respond with anything other than a block.
He says her multi-hitting uppercut, one of the faster multi-hitting moves in the game like Blanka’s Electricity, or Chang throwing Choi out with his special tornado move are key ways to disrupting the command imput for wakeups. He told me that’s one of the reasons why the Chang trap works so well.
Now with Athena, for the most part, it’s safe if blocked as well. It’s nothing to write home about, but it’s free chip or free hits either way, not too sure about blanka balls out of hit stun though.

Yes but why chance it when you can just throw a wakeup fireball that you know they will have to block and you will not only be safe but have enough time to put together sometype of offense or guard break. That tactic is not really that safe.

Well, the idea stemmed from watching Blanka

sweep, corpse hop, RC Electricity

The eletricity effectively stops all wake up attempts, hell, RC’d or not. Programming that pattern in training mode and trying to defeat it let to that conclusion. Where most people who have an invincible dragonpunch would go for it if they saw you standing overthem waiting for the wake up, or any kind of wake-up reversal, Blanka’s pattern stops it.

The same goes for Chang’s trap. You catch them in a corner, and throw out Choi first, who starts spinning like a gust of wind going up, and immediately followed by the Spinning ball to complete the trap. Choi’s spinning attack is a multi-hitting move, a FAST one, and this cannot be a coincidence, it does fuck up people’s commands, and allows Chang to either pound them in the air and cease for sending Choi out again, or either chipping or guard crushing them to death.

While his trap works without Choi, it’s much better if Choi is thrown out, because it stuffs the wake-up attempts. Hell, you can wake up and c.fp with Athena and knock Chang out of his trap and then teleport out of there, but not it Choi is coming your way. There isn’t a response for a few reasons, but the primary one is the same as Blanka Electricity, your imput is jammed.

The result is you must block, and when in Blockstun even a Character as small as Athena will get pounded by the spinning ball.

With that in mind, you can take advantage of Athena’s dragonpunch, simply because many don’t consider it to be effective at all. It’s not really abusable for anything other than this purpose, but you can bait people into it after a knockdown from anything like maybe a tigerknee’d Phoenix Arrow, or a simple sweep by walking up to them and dodging before they get up, cancelling the dodge with her kick dodge attack and immediately cancelling that into her dragonpunch.

As a lot of people would be inclined to throw you when you dodge, especially when you foolishly dodge above them when they’re a corpse. Hell, even if they didn’t throw, and intended to do something else, they’d get hit by it because it screws with all moves, RC’d or not.

The only exception to this appears to be supers, because I level 3 SCB’d out of Blanka’s Electricity before after the sweep, hop set-up.

While her fireball is almost guaranteed chip, her recovery is too slow, and things like RC’d Blanka Balls will fuck that shit up in a heartbeat. And with the fireball comes crucial timing, because of her recovery, and hell the opponent recovers faster from the hit than Athena does if it’s done too close, and she’ll get punished.

You are right though that it is safer, it really depends on the character you are fighting. Stilll, this is just another thing to think about with her dragonpunch move.

For me though, this is a good reason to use it:
At the end of the match, because of the “jamming” of the dp, it’s a guaranteed hit or guaranteed chip, and it does enough of either to finish a character off.

[quote]
*Originally posted by Hellion *
sweep, corpse hop, RC Electricity

[quote]

Of course, this isn’t invincible either if you know how to get out of it. N Groove Iori has a nice way of stopping it, but it requires at least one stock.

I am still working on one for S Athena, as so far I only managed to get out with a lvl3 SCB with her in N.

Heck, one of my favorite things with Athena, and why I like her so much, is her guard crush potential.