Ryu Strategies and Matchups

Nah how about we don’t use Vega. Thats a bad matchup too in the risk/reward department.

With Ryu vs. Blanka you need to build up to lvl 2. The lvl 2 covers so many things in the matchup that give Ryu problems.

Spammed Blanka Ball:
Block high then do lvl 2 Shinku

Slide:
Block low then do lvl 2 Shinku

When you build up to lvl 2, you can start to rush in a little more. Do st. fierce because it hit’s Blanka is he crouches. This is good because it does alot of guard damage, which you’ll need, to land a super.

To get more openings you can try…

cr. short, cr. jab, cr. forward, fireball. Then the next time, do cr. jab, cr. forward, fake qcf motion then wait. If nothing happens, then st. fierce or dash in cr. short x3, super.

I honestly don’t like using Ryu’s supers though. Reason being that two crossup combos equal the same damage as a lvl 2 cancel. So it seems like a waste to me.

Yo, Ryu level 2 super fireball canceled into Hurricane kick does a lot of damage. It’s not that easy getting a cross-up combo whenever you want either, as Ryu’s best setup for a cross-up j.MK is usually only after a knockdown. He gets guard break or counter hit d.LK a lot more often than cross-up j.MK in my opinion. Use that super meter. It’s the best thing Ryu has going for him.

True, but I like using him as basic as possible to feel out the opponent. If the time calls for when I can use the meter, i’ll use it. I just don’t like using it with him because there are plenty of other characters that could get much better use out of it.

Since I never use Ryu, what would you reccomend me to do against K-gief and K-Rugal? This is actually for a friend, and he’s actually pretty darn good with Ryu, especially in 3s. I could probably find this out later, and I’ve already thought of some things, but I can’t right now, so… yeah, any help would be appreciated. Just want to see if my strategies would work, so just tell me what I would do if I were Ryu vs. those two.

Oh yeah, this is C/S Ryu by the way. Thanks in advance.

K-gief is beastly. Do not underestimate him no matter what, since just one of his hits equals about two of yours damage wise. If he gets knockdown momentum going on you, you’re going to to lose half your life while you might get a quarter of his when it’s the other way around.

Don’t jump at Zangief first and foremost. Even with a far jump-in, anti-air JD, jab SPD is too powerful. You want to bait him with your whiffed light attacks and d.MP instead. Poke with a hadouken when Gief appears hesitant, but remember you’re taking quite a moderate risk whenever you do so. I would mostly runaway and look for Gief to jump at me so I can anti-air him with my far s.HK.

You’d better runaway whenever Geif is raged. Even when you have a knockdown, I learned the hard way that going for low shorts or something as he gets up is the most foolish idea ever. Stick with far s.HK, far s.HP, d.MK, and whiffed light attacks for baiting. Stay PATIENT most importantly.

*To those who know me, I don’t intend on losing to any groove Zangief ever again… lol

What about Dashing/running in and crouching Roundhouse? And yeah, I’m the one using gief, he’s getting mad about it. I’d be mad too, he’s too darn good, but he’s not unbeatable, especially not by a shoto.

Running in crouching roundhouse is good when you want to run into Zangief’s d.HP.

It’s tough to check Zangief low with Ryu’s crouching roundhouse in my opinion because of the way Zangief is played. When was the last time you saw a Zangief player try to do anything other than move forward? The best time to go low with a max ranged sweep is almost always when you suspect your opponent wants to come out of low block and walk back to create some space (thus leaving himself open to low hits).

Unless Ryu’s sweep beats Zangief’s far s.HP, because I know for sure it doesn’t beat d.HP or far s.MK (and Gief also needs to be using his far s.HP in the first place), I don’t see a reason to ever press crouching roundhouse with Ryu unless you’re sweeping out an already extended limb (ie. you should never press d.HK first if you have Ryu against Zangief).

You beat your friend, he’s getting mad, and then you come on the internet to say that you’d be mad if you lost to yourself too? Congratulations! :party: :party:

I have a couple of questions, which grove is best suited for ryu. I have seen a lot of videos with the japanese players playing him in N,K groves. I can understand this because of the rush factor and allowing he opportunity to break your opponents guard. I would think N grove is his best grove because of the opportunity of breaking stocks, run, small jumps. My other question is RC with Ryu is there any real time to use RC with him if my most of the time you are rushing your opponent down and zoning.

Okay thanks for the help. :pleased:

Yeah, I’m also interested in hearing some N-Ryu strats. The most I do to keep a decent momentum is the run-cancelled c.strong’s over and over into maybe some throw setups.

I’ve been using Ryu a lot lately. I think he’s a strong character with all the tools to survive most matchup’s. I’ll use him in K, N and C Groove. Maybe this thread will be revived but probably not.

N-Ryu:

*Base his entire offense on landing C.Jab (blocked or hit).
First step is to get a close; preferably a knock down.
His hadoukens have very good recovery and can be used smartly/timely to get in.
Basic shit like Jab Fireball->run->roll/superjump/rc short hurricane/stop can put you in the position you need (all depending on the factors of the match).

Knock down tools:

RC Red fireball - the jab version is amazing. Use this against Blanka (hell even non RC is good). Obviosuly don’t abuse this and use it smartly (against Blanka don’t do it when they are crouching or walking back…duh).

Anti-Air Dragon - Fierce has the best invincibility so use that against attacks like 45deg Sagat J.RH. Try your best to wiff C.Short into Jab or Strong Dragon for anti-air : these versions give you more options after the knockdown.

Running sweep->wiff short Hurricane/jab fireball(if you can do it)/jab shoryuken - the standand old school style he’s had in every game.

RC Hurricane - the short version is great. At a good distance it’s pretty safe to wiff and if you time it when your opponent tried to long range poke you it’s a knockdown. It’s also good to do this on reaction to RC’s, specials, air attacks or normals when you know they’re coming.

Once you get in you find a way to land C.Jab(blocked) and you have a world of options.
*more on that later…

Tell me how to beat a Blanka that’s below-average/decent in footsies while also having great RC execution. Meaning…lots of Blanka Ball. I use C-Ryu in my fun teams but it’s not so fun when repetitive RC Blanka forces me to work double time (and with me usually failing), so I don’t have the option of JD.

Build meter a lot.

wiff strong, jump back attacks and air hurricanes.
If he’s doing Blanka ball for no reason…you can bait them with up/back instant air block and then punish.
Use fireballs and hadoukens wisely (ex. when the walk forward, stand up without moving etc.)
You have all the tools to anti air him everytime: S.Forward, close S.Fierce, D.Fierce, S.Roundhouse, Dragon punches. All angles are covered easily.

If he tries to RC through your poke strings…change them up so his timing is off and he gets counter hit. ex. use close/meaty C.Strong->C.Roundhouse->Fierce Hadouken then alternate that with C.Strong->C.Jab->slight delay->C.Forward/S.Fierce->super(if you want) sometimes.
If Blanka tried to RC through(or even short) C.Strong->C.Roundhouse link and you decided to mix it up with C.Strong->C.Jab link instead you can land the counter hit on the C.Forward and S.Fierce nearly everytime. If you see this/hear this, dont mind wasting a level one or can react to it: combo into super.

Another good trick is after a knockdown, cross up jump without attacking and leaving you a coupl esteps away from Blanka. If he does RC electicity you can punish him with whatever.

Ok I understand what you’re saying with the mixup in guard crush strings. I think it would work better if Blanka didn’t have RC and I had run or something. But what I don’t understand is how I am supposed to use the 2nd part (c. strong, c.jab, delay, c.forward) to hit him if he’s doing RC ball. The worst case is me messing up my delay and him hitting me out of something (like the aforementioned c.forward), or me prolonging the delay, causing me to block the RC ball (probably in a crouched state) and him basically resetting the match with me a pixel down. I can’t nail him when I block the RC Ball.

Yes, a few times I have been able to do the airblock trick with the ensuing hurricane kick and once in a while he’ll do something stupid like jump, but mostly those are uncommon.

I’ll tell you a little something about this guy, though…he doesn’t JUST use RC Ball, he also uses the c. fierce and like once every other match, he will slide. He doesn’t really know how to use c.short. Funny enough, I’ve kinda learned how to punish a whiffed c. fierce (like maybe 30% accuracy) and that’s how I get my opportunity to risk an offense. I’m just kinda wondering, though…if he ever decided to JUST use RC Ball, I think I would be screwed. But then again this is just casuals.

What I meant is if he RC’s through your poke string he HAS to time it. If you leave a frame or two for him to get it off it needs to be a reversal.
So If you do close/meaty C.Strong->C.Roundhouse->Fierce Hadouken as a regular poke string (I use this instead of C.Jab->C.Fierce because it has more options) and then switch it up with C.Strong->C.Jab this will happen:

you will block stun him with C.Strong.
he will try to time the RC for the moment after C.Strong’s animation is complete.
you will maintain the block stun with jab. (probably the same moment he is hitting roll)
his remaining button press to complete the RC will not be invincible and will surely get hit but the C.Forward or S.Fierce…he is also no longer holding block if he’s trying to blanka ball through you.

What do you use to punish C.Fierce? C.Fierce is your best option if you’re not already using that.

C.Strong strings I find to be more effective if you like to play an aggressive Ryu. If you’re very defensive (or just are in the case against Blanka) you’ll probably prefer the jab strings; which guarantee guard damage and are less risky.

I take all the opportunity I can to be offensive against Blanka for 2 reasons:

1- if you get stuck in a corner you can lose your guard meter very fast. Blanka has many pressuring options against Ryu
2 - if you play aggresively and smart you are sure to force him to do a RC that you set up for a big punish.

I understand now. The main thing I took away from your post was to vary the time in which my opponent has to do RC Blanka Ball. When he loses his charge, it gives me more opportunities to wear down his guard meter and make him more nervous.

Thanks again man, stuff is easier to understand in practice :sweat:

blah