Ryu Season 2 Matchup Thread - Pivots for Strategy

It can punish some very specific stuff ( Alex stomp for example), but it’s range isn’t as good as HP DP but that starts up in 5 frames. It’s not bad as an alternative punish to st.lk if you have trouble with that confirm. Its a good ender from a combo if you want to sacrifice damage for set up ( set up is way better) since you can dash meaty solar plexus and cover both rises after an LP ender ( something like St.MP, Cr.Fierce xx LP DP)

Something really needs to be done about is Dp’s in the next patch, they are all just not very good at anything on their own, can’t AA with HP or LP, HP does the same damage as MP (why?), LP and MP whiff on the jab combo…

Just a cluster fuck. Funny thing is that everyone (scrubs) that bitched about the Dp’s can now look at Cammy and think - “oh maybe it wasn’t the Dp’s that were the problem” since she’s clearly still one of the best characters in the game.

Just idiots everywhere, idiots complaining, idiots designing the game.

I’ve really gotta start comboing with the LP shoryu too.

Kolin’s parry-counter is 1 frame and it’s really good so I hope Ryu’s can go from at least 3 to 2. But the other problem with it is that the recovery is so long that a punish isn’t guaranteed, plus you really gotta pay a lot of attention when using it.

Top of my wish-list is to just match the hitboxes to the animations, though.

Aside from that, I love chargin’ up the hados when I’m in v-trigger, but they feel underwhelming sometimes.

Sonic boom start-up & recovery is 10 & 28
Hado in v-trigger is 13 & 31-35

We live in a day and age where people don’t wanna put in the work anymore and now some people purely just rely on patches or go look at some youtube video and think there really good or think they know everything about the game. I admit i complained a lot about season 2 Ryu but i became a much better player because of it so i don’t really complain anymore plus it was just draining me. Ha funny thing about MP and HP shoryuken is the difference on oki is a little better for MP shoryuken should you connect with it at close range in a combo but other than that yeah same damage, just laziness to me what capcom did there

The Mp is for the oki, but the HP should be the damage. It makes complete sense.

I’ve still consistently risen on both accounts since the patch, my win rate is roughly the same since I think my footsies,reactions and spacing is still good enough to take me past character strengths to a point and I’m using a lot more V-reversal which helps nullify sticky situations better than a DP can anyway.

The matches I feel I personally got worse in is matches like Laura, where it’s not so much that I can’t use a DP, it’s more the fact that they don’t give a fuck because they know you can’t use a Dp. That fear factor is gone so the ham factor went up ten fold.

My main problem with losing Ryu’s invincible meterless DP is that Ryu’s pressure options can’t make up for it. A character who has strong offensive capabilities usually gets dinged in defensive options.

What I’m seeing is that both of Ryu’s D and O options got nerfed which doesn’t make sense to me. Granted, it needs to be put in context with all the changes, but I’m just trying to see a situation where S1 Ryu had an oppressive offense and ridiculous defensive that warrants nerfing both sides.

As to pivots, I think the smart thing is to just avoid his special moves and use his normals. Aside from combo stuff, ending a couple of block strings, and some very select OS’s, his special moves aren’t really anything to write home about.

I just want to add against Guile when he Spams Booms up close can get a crush counter with s.HK. Just to do it just right inside his longest poke.
I went against a Guile that made me feel like Icouldnt stop this from happening but you can. Also want to add that Ryu c.lp is very good and allows you to Footsie with Guile.

I think I figured out Gief a bit more. Lately ive been winning this match up even against higher ranked opponents.
Basically what i stated above still holds and I want to emphasize some things.
Be very careful when he has his v-trigger stocked. It becomes a game of patience once he has it. If you are not being sucked in you can jump in on him. IF you do get sucked in and you land next to him then space him out with c.lp thencreate space by jumping back or dashing back.
The best distance to fight Gief is right inside his s.hp. SOme of the reasons why is you can step right outside and make his s.fp wiff or you can parry are too close. continue to play foots with him with your lights mostly as they beat a lot of his advances.
I think his matchup is fairly even. Just establish a fireball game and don,t panic once you get knocked down.
Urien**
This matchup use to be a PITA until i learned that a lot of his moves have large startups. You can react parry to some his his wake up options such as the overhead kick and overhead punch. He is likely to do these as they lead to big damage. Its a gamble but goes a long way to controlling him as he is positive on a lot of his moves.

If you get caught with in his range of normals I dont even bother pressing much buttons. it seems like him landing something on you is 70/30 in his favor. Instead I just wait will he pushes me out just out of his range. At this point is where I will initiate some offense. FB poke works well in this match up so you will need to use it to start pushing him back.
His jump is really floaty so feel free to AA it at all times. Again you have to be patient because he could knee stomp but that move is much faster. IF he knee stomps the best thing to do is to Parry. You can DP the non EX version but I think it loses EX knee stomp. A regular jump can eassily be seen.
As for his reflectors. This has always been a problem finally I decided to just disrupt it with a dp using either lp or ex. It would seem that when he starts to go HAM pushing you against it with highs and lows he is performing loose block string. Bust out of that Sh!t Again dont do it right away but youhave to wait and see what he is up to as he may know that is your way to get out and just bait. What you can is for him to be hesitant in this situation.
Ex headbut can be punshed on block with s.lk. If he has an ex and youo are applying pressure to him by knocking him down just expect him to wake up with this. Dial down the aggression after knockdown and hope he burns meter on wake up and make sure to block.

So is cammy still the same or did the Mu actually get worse in season 2?

Cammy MU is brutal…Like Ryu’s tools are crap for it.

Just Parry your way to a win. Its the only thing I know of now.
Anyways, the beta will be out so I will get a feel on how Ryu will be. If its not any better then I will put this game aside for a bit.
I can find more important things to do.

http://i.imgur.com/nDdFmHC.jpg

I kind of miss the old cr.hp too, though :pensive:

Because Ryu doing a S.MP into a C.HP with the same fist isn’t going to look ANY worse than him gut punching someone, and then accelerating through that person with his fist. :anguished:

Seriously…fire the entire design team for SFV and just hire some eggplants. :dizzy: