PS3 Madcatz TE Fightstick Not Working On Win10 PC

Please ask questions like this in the [appropriate thread](Absolute Question and Answer Thread v.3 (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!) next time.

The short answer is you may not need ANY new PCB just to play Tekken 7 on Steam…

but to better answer your question:

1. Is your TE a PS3 or of Xbox 360 version?
  2. Do you plan on ever connecting the stick to any consoles? If so, which one(s)?
  3. Which OS are you running on your PC?
  4. Which motherboard is installed in your PC?
  5. In which country are you located?

why you say this is not the appropriate thread?? I have the same problem the topic say PS3 Madcatz TE Fightstick Not Working On Win10 PC, 1.ps3 ver. 2 I plan to use in pc steam but like the topic say the OS see the stick but do nothing cant map the buttons 3. I have win 10 pro 4.ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero LGA1151 DDR4 5.puerto rico

Well first of all, the last post in this thread was A YEAR AGO. Second, the vast majority of the posts in this thread are for troubleshooting connection issues with PS3 version TEs due to default PCB limitations in relation to certain USB chipsets on PC motherboards.

None of this ties in any palpable way to ‘which PCB do I get for my stick so I can play Tekken 7.’ Perhaps you could have started off with details of your issue in your first post on this forum to help align with this thread.

Regardless though, the thread I linked you to is titled "ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE."
That seems shockingly self-explanatory to me…

Your best bet is to buy a either a Brook Universal Fighting Board or a Brook PS3/PS4 Fight Board. Both boards support XInput which is natively supported in Windows 10. I’m not familiar with any arcade parts shops in PR. FocusAttack.com in PA seems to be the closest shop to you, geographically.

Welcome to SRK Tech Talk.

thx you :slight_smile:

Necropost, but it seems like the place.

I’ve just dug my old Madcatz SE PS3 out of storage and tried to hook it up to my PC and nada. I only have USB3 ports.

Does anyone know if a USB2 hub is of any help in this situation (i.e. plug the stick into a USB 2 hub, then the hub into my USB 3 port). I actually don’t know if USB hubs run their own chipset or if they just do some sort of switching. If anyone knows then any recommendations for a hub?

hi bought a TE ps3 fight stick how do i get it to work on my win 10 notebook?

http://batcmd.com/windows/10/services/usbuhci/
will this link above help? i download the file and run as administraor, but nothing happened

You would like to have a Brook PS3 to PS4 or XboxOne converter to make it work without having to mod it inside.

The madcatz PCB has compatibility issues regarding the hub its connected to… so you might want to grab a pcie usb card of some kind or changing the pcb inside the stick :slight_smile: a Brook UFB is a good option if you have the money and want to use it on modern USB consoles

1 Like

hi, thank you so much for the reply. my notebook recognize my TE1 fightstick but couldn’t register any of the button input, so like you suggested I’ll have to get a brook ps3 to xbox . now about the PCIE card I went only and search, there’s so many different kind. will the PCIE to usb 3.0work? how do I connect connect it to my notebook ? and finally what are brook UFB for? thanks for the reply, you are a life saver :sob:

Torta via Shoryuken Forums shoryuken@discoursemail.com 於 2020年4月22日 週三 02:52 寫道:

hi, thank you so much for the reply. my notebook recognize my TE1 fightstick but couldn’t register any of the button input, so like you suggested I’ll have to get a brook ps3 to xbox . now about the PCIE card I went only and search, there’s so many different kind. will the PCIE to usb 3.0work? how do I connect connect it to my notebook ? and finally what are brook UFB for? thanks for the reply, you are a life saver :sob:

Brook UFB is a PCB that goes inside your arcade stick that handles all your joystick and button presses and makes them compatible with PS3, PS4, PC, XBox360, XboxOne, Nintendo Switch, NeogeoMini…, etc

Standard installation inside a PS3 Madcatz Stick is not as easy as it should because the original PS3 PCB is in the turbo panel (turbo + Home panel). You must “hack” that pcb to get both of that signals to make them work.

If you don’t even care about other platforms (only PC and DInput Games) you can install a Zero Delay Encoder for pretty cheap (10 usd?) and wire it up completely (cause you would not need Home neither Turbo).

If you need XInput then it gets harder but i’d suggest Any Brook PS4 PCB (Fighting Board Plus is good too!)

It is a HUGE pain in the ass trying to get the original Mad Catz TE/Rd 1/PS3 PCB to work with a Brooks board! It’s just not straight forward and there’s no direct tutorial for this ANYWHERE that I’ve looked. Everybody describes a different PCB (usually Rd 2 or later; generally TE+) that’s not exactly like the Rd 1/PS3 PCB and it’s a bit frustrating trying to guess with all those pins. It’s also a small enough board that you can screw it up if you don’t know what you’re doing!
I ended up getting a replacement board from Jasen’s Customs that let me keep the Turbo, Home, and LS/DP/RS functionality without futzing with soldering. For the extra money I paid, it was worth missing the migraine trying to do it “the other way” caused for a day or two!
The replacement board he sells fits under the existing faceplate for the original MC PCB and works like a charm. You do have to watch a video to figure out a trace you have to cut to make the PCB work correctly with the Brooks board; I wish he had printed instructions separate from this but at least he showed us all what to do to get it to work! You lose most of your LED’s for your turbo button functionality but oh well, can’t have everything!

I honestly think if people AREN’T going to be doing the retro-console route and are going PS3/PS4 upgrade, OR just MAME/PC for play, then the Zero Delay kit with Japanese connections is their best bet (by far the cheapest solution; has ALL the signal lines with the right quick disconnects and the power cord) OR buy the Brooks PS3/PS4 adapter. The PS3/PS4 adapter should allow both PS4 and PC play. The Zero delay PCB is good for both PC and PS3 but you’ll need the adaptor or another PS4-compatible PCB for PS4 play. The PS3-PS4 Brooks adapter is compatible with the Zero Delay board according to the Focus Attack website. You may need to do a firmware update on the adapter to get it to work properly. You usually have to do firmware upgrades on Brooks PCBs and adapters after you get them in the mail.

One issue I want to point out with this, for PC game play.
Alot of PC games are expecting Xinput compatible controllers, the Zero Delay board only does Dinput.

“Alot of PC games are expecting Xinput compatible controllers, the Zero Delay board only does Dinput.”

That could definitely be a problem but it might affect the newer games more than the retro-console emulators and MAME.
I guess the next step might be the Brook Zero Pi Fighting Board. That’s $25. Probably be valid longer than the Zero Delay if standards evolve.
I dunno.
I have Hori PS2 joysticks that still work fine in Windows 10 with a basic USB converter and a Magic Box.
And yet there are Mad Catz Rd 1/TE/PS3 controllers that won’t work in Windows 10 without a full PCB replacement or a Brooks adapter!
The PS3-era Hori controllers seem to be holding up fine in Windows and many Android systems hardware (like the Nvidia Shield from what I’ve been told). It’s the PS4 and XBox 360/One gear giving people fits. I had a problem with a Hori XBox 360 joystick I bought this past winter ;I just could not get it to work with my PC on basic emulators so I returned it to the store and got my money back. This stuff shouldn’t be rocket science but there are times the hardware just doesn’t work with a PC and OS.
It’s up to tech companies to make these things stupid-easy for people to use and release compatible product; if they jerk too many of their customers around, they’ll become extinct or endangered like Sears, Atari, and a ton of other companies that were once staples in our lives have. I’m sick of this business where your computer and hardware is obsolete after 3 years. I’ve managed to keep some 10+ year-old equipment like a printer and scanner working in Windows 10 but I had to dig into forums to get that old scanner to work.

It is already affecting alot of modern ports of Retro games.
Steam and GOG having an explosion of alot of Arcade ports.

Sorry for dissecting and quoting only parts of your post, but you wrote alot and I don’t want to bog down my response. Alots of ground to cover

To be fair, their PCBs were crap anyways. Even their Xbox 360 PCBs were suspect.

Because Hori off the bat licensed their controllers for PS3 use and used the open sourced and forwards compatible OHCI and not the stupid Intel priority UHCI. No one wants to pay Intel for the license to use an out of date protocol. Only reasons the Mad Catz stick work on the PS3 is how “well” Sony engineered their USB host controller on the motherboard, it has a very wide range of compatibility. Good for us games, bad for Sony. Thats why we see such lockdowns in the PS4.

Only issue the PS3 era Hori controllers has is that they aren’t Xinput compatible, but thats more Microsoft’s doing than anyone elses.

I blame that on the corporate greed of accessory and peripheral manufacturers that see’s planned obsolescence as a business strategy instead of a violation of consumer rights.

Any idea where I can get this? Seems like Jasen’s Customs is now closed.

There are similar TE turbo area replacement boards sold elsewhere like Paradise Arcade Shop but there seem to be dwindling supplies and nobody restocks them.

Most of these boards will lose Turbo functionality since nobody uses that for fighting games. I think they were Phreakmods or some other name like that. He was a guy who was very active on the SRK Tech boards a few years back.

Jasen’s board only had one set of LED’s for Turbo. The lights for the stick position on your system and the indicators for turbo on most of the buttons weren’t even there. It was a very spare PCB and the point was to make it easier to integrate with the Brooks PS3/PS4+ board.

Jasen’s boards were exclusive to his shop and as far as I know were not sold elsewhere.

They’re launching the new systems this year and although only one new joystick has been announced for the next-gen Xbox, you know they’re not going to restock a lot of PCB’s specific for Xbox 1/PS4 after this year. They were already letting supplies for existing joysticks run down or couldn’t do much because of COVID.

I’m loathe to suggest this because I know Jasen can be impatient with people but you could contact him and see if he has any left he’d be willing to sell.

Try his Facebook or Twitter and be as polite as possible. Again, he can be cranky because the fight stick community is what it is and some people just won’t accept “No” for an answer.

From what I understand, Jasen was keeping his remaining in-stock items for personal use after he closed his store.

The store closure took me by surprise, too, but he had his reasons.
He’s going for a graduate degree and can’t be distracted by a side business while he also still has a Navy career.

1 Like

Gummo had made his own TE Turbo panel replacements PCBs; not sure if he still has any or is still selling any; I know he had a second (or third? Whatever, it was not his first) kid recently.

I also remember fellow member The_Real_Phoenix had designed his own TE Turbo panel replacement PCBs as well around the same time that Gummo made his; also not sure if he’s still stocking/selling.

Both of these are designed to easily connect to something like a UFB.

1 Like