Peaches and Irish Whipped Cream - R. Mika Knockdown Omnibus

I promised a few weeks ago to post some of my meaty setups. Here they are.

[details=Spoiler]LK/MK/HK Brimstone Setups

Normal Recovery
[list=1]
[] Forward dash: +2
[
] Whiff st.LP, f.HP: Corner only. Frame trap.
[/list]

No Recovery
[list=1]
[] Forward dash, whiff throw, whiff f.HP: +3
[
] Forward dash, whiff throw, forward dash, f.HP: Frame trap.
[] Forward dash, whiff st.MP, whiff cr.LK x 2: +3
[
] Forward dash, whiff st.MP, whiff f.MP, f.HP: Frame trap.
[] Whiff st.LP, whiff f.HP, whiff st.LK, dash forward, st.MP/throw/command throw
[
] Whiff st.LP, whiff f.HP, whiff cr.MK, f.HP: Frame trap. Corner only.
[/list] [/details]

[details=Spoiler]Dream Driver (Crouching Throw) Setups

Normal Recovery
[list=1]
[] Forward dash, delay 1f, f.HP: Type 2 Meaty. F.HP hits on the third and final active frame at +5/KD.
[
] Whiff st.HP: +3. Corner only.
[] Forward dash, whiff cr.LP: +2.
[
] Whiff f.MP, f.HP: Frame trap. Hits on frame 2 of opponent’s wakeup.
[/list]

No Recovery
[list=1]
[] Forward dash, whiff f.HP, whiff cr.MP, f.HP: Frame trap.
[
] Whiff st.HP, whiff throw, whiff f.HP: +3. Corner only.
[*] Whiff st.HP, whiff st.MP, whiff st.HP: +3. Corner only.
[/list][/details]

[details=Spoiler]Peach Gator (V-Reversal) Setups

Normal Recovery
[list=1]
[*] Dash forward: +2
[/list]

No Recovery
[list=1]
[] Dash forward, whiff st.MP, whiff cr.LP, whiff st.MP: +3
[
] Dash forward, whiff throw, whiff f.HP: +3
[/list][/details]

[details=Spoiler]Peach Assault (Critical Art) Setups

Normal Recovery
[list=1]
[] Forward dash, f.HP: Frame trap. 2f gap
[
] Forward dash, f.MP: T2 meaty. F.MP hits on the fourth and final active (+1/+5)
[/list]

No Recovery
[list=1]
[] Forward dash, whiff f.HP x 2, f.HP: Frame trap.
[
] Forward dash, whiff f.HP, dash forward, st.LK: T2 meaty. St.LK hits on third and final active frame at +3/+4.
[] Forward dash, whiff f.HP, dash forward, whiff st.LP x 2, st.MP/command throw/throw: Frame trap. +2.
[
] Forward dash, whiff f.HP, dash forward, st.MP: T1 meaty
[/list]. [/details]

Small note on the terminology I use: A T1 meaty is a meaty that hits the opponent on their first frame of wakeup. A T2 meaty is a T1 meaty that hits during the later active frames, thus giving Mika extra frame advantage.

Q: Do you guys think that the following is worth using after Shooting Peach on quick recovery?

LP/MP/HP/EX Shooting Peach:

QR - dash, s.lk*, s.MP [TC] (s.MP, f+HP)

The timing seems to work because the target combo comes out on hit or whiff. Verification that I’ve done this correctly and thoughts on whether this is useful would be welcome.

hmm… is this new? i noticed that on a back recovery if standing MK connects (counterhit) you can actually combo into Passion Press, only works on back recoveries, not sure why, might have something to do with MK’s hitbox extending beyond itself?

Not new. It’s been known for a while. After Shooting Peach back recovery, forward dash into st.MK/st.MK hits on the final active frame at +0/+5, so naturally a counterhit (+0/+7) would allow for it to link to Passion Press (6f startup).

woah that’s nice to know, but +7 on last active frame? damn that’s really good.

Biggest weakness of the Shooting Peach, dash forward, f.MK setup is that if the opponent quick rises and blocks, they can punish Mika with a 3f move (st.MK/f.MK are -3/+2). Even if your opponent doesn’t punish or lacks a 3f move, your turn is still over.

On another note, I saw Fuudo do a cool meaty setup after CA. Setup is CA, dash forward, meaty Passion Press (f.MP/b.MP). The Passion Press hits on the fourth and final active frame, making it +1/+5. On block, it sets up a meaty throw/strike mixup against characters without 3f moves and a frame trap against characters with them. On hit, you can confirm into st.MP->b.MP/f.MP~MP, backdash, forward dash, LK Wingless Airplane for 238 damage and 390 stun.

You can change that forward dash to a l.peach lk.wingless if you’re not near the edge of the screen, same timing but builds meter.

QR - dash, s.mp (s.hp, f+hp) or (c.hp, f+hp)

Does this setup actually work for the NR timing? every time I try it my f.HP whiffs, like I did it early. But I thought that shouldn’t be possible since these are calculated framekills. Trying on Chun-Li with wakeup cr.lp and I can’t get it.

Not sure if this is inaccurate or I’m fucking up somehow?

Edit: Also what’s the frame differences between QR, BR, and NR? I believe there’s 5 frames between QR and BR but not sure about the rest. I’d like to find some setups on my own, it’d be good info to have if anyone knows.

Back recovery is always 5 frames slower than normal recovery. Recovery values are different for each knockdown. Here’s the frame advantage for Mika’s knockdowns, taken from Gilley’s spreadsheet. First value is QR, second is BR, third is NR.

Cr.HK: 19/24/68
Daydream Headlock (Forward throw): 3/NA/42
Dream Driver (Forward throw against crouching opponent): 30/NA/71
Sell Down (Back throw): 12/NA/79
Divebomb, At least 27/ At least 32/???
Peach Gator (V-Reversal): +20/???
LP Shooting Peach: 23/28/72
MP/HP/EX Shooting Peach: 23/28/82
LP/MP/HP Rainbow Typhoon: 11/NA/70
EX Rainbow Typhoon: 15/NA/NA
LK/MK/HK Brimstone: 20/NA/69
EX Brimstone: 21/NA/NA
Wingless Airplane: 20/NA/69
Peach Assault (Critical Art): 26/NA/75

Thank you! I knew the values were different for each knockdown, but I thought the differences between them all were the same. Like how BR is 5 frames slower than QR, I thought perhaps NR was always X frames slower than QR. That would’ve been nice, but I see that isn’t the case.

So here’s something interesting I learned about cr.MP today. You can actually get it to hit against crouching opponents if you hit them on their first frame of wakeup. This actually opens up some great meaty and frame trap options, especially since cr.MP has 4 active frames (4f active moves can be used to beat QR and BR). Did some quick labwork and this is what I’ve come up with.

Corner Brimstone setup vs. QR: whiff st.LP, cr.MP.
Corner Brimstone setup vs. NR: whiff st.LP, whiff cr.MP, whiff st.LP, whiff cr.LP, cr.MP.

Cr.MP is a true meaty for both setups. Hits on the fourth active frame and is +2/+4.

Corner Shooting Peach setup vs QR/BR: whiff st.MP, cr.MP.

Against QR, cr.MP will frame trap against standing 3f normals. Unfortunately, cr.MP will whiff if opponent crouches and Mika will get air reset if opponent wakes up with a crouching normal. This setup is best used against characters whose only 3f normal is a standing one (e.g. Laura st.LP, Vega st.LK, Ryu st.LP).

Against BR, cr.MP will hit crouchers and connect meaty at +2/+4.

EDIT: Did some additonal testing and found that these setups are not as strong as I thought. They will lose against any wakeup crouching attack. Fortunately, you can still use st.LP, st.MP, f.HP, or even st.LK to condition your opponent to block. Those meaties have to be timed manually, with the exception of f.HP. After Brimstone, the whiff st.LP, f.HP setup is a frame-perfect meaty.

Here’s a meaty setup I saw Fuudo do after corner Shooting Peach.

Shooting Peach, whiff cr.LP x 2, Passion Press.

Against normal recovery, Passion Press will hit early enough to frame trap any 3f light. Against back recovery, Passion Press hits meaty on the fourth and final active frame at +1/+5.

I asked about this earlier and never updated you guys, I did the math and this is what I found. This is for the Shooting Peach knockdown.

MP/HP/EX Shooting Peach’s knockdown has 23 frames recovery for QR, 28 for BR, and 82 for NR.

R.Mika’s dash is 18 frames, and st.MP has 5 frame start up. 18+5=23, so perfect meaty for QR. However if they BR they’ll wake up during the recovery frames of your st.MP, I calculate you’d be at -10.

However you can cover the NR option after the st.MP. The dash was 18, plus the total frames for the st.MP (5+3+12=20) means you’ve killed 38 frames, and need to kill (82-38=44) more frames. So let’s look at how we can kill 44 frames.

The listed setup of (st.HP, f+HP) doesn’t work, st.HP is 28 frames, and f+HP is 10/3/12 (S/A/R), so it’s actually too fast by like 3 frames.

The other one listed is (c.HP, f+HP). c.HP is 35 frames, and f+HP’s 10 frame startup means you should hit them on their 2nd frame after getting up, which is good enough to stuff any wakeup buttons.

You can also do (s.HP, c.LP, s.MP). s.HP is 28 frames, c.LP is 11 total frames, so you’ve killed 39 of the 44 remaining frames. s.MP is 5 frame startup, so that’s perfect. You could probably use another button here too as long as it’ll be active in the first 3 frames they wake up (to stuff 3f jabs).

Another funky one is (s.HK, f+HP). s.HK not charged is 34 frames, so the 10 frame start up on f+HP is perfect.

Edit: Would love for someone to kind of peer review this post by testing, and if my stuff is accurate, update the first post. I used V-Frames (app) for the frame data, and the knockdown data is from @Heavy_Mental above. Also this thread is really good and should be stickied imo.