New England (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT)

Hi everyone. I have been working out the specifics with cla regarding a nh event. Here is what I have assessed from the comments online and what I’ve seen at the tournaments I have attended.

There is a market demand for quality tournament series for the fighting game community throughout new england People are willing to show up with set ups and travel for hours in order to meet solid competition.

But in order to attract the regional crowd, there needs to be an established core group that is regularly meeting up for casual/tournament play. People are willing to pay a venue fee. But, unless there is the opportunity to win a decent pot+bonuses, willing participants will not shell out more then five or ten dollars in venue fees.

If the goal is to run a intermediate sized event with 35-45 people in attendance, there will need to be a successful track record of us as tournament organizers.

The 15 dollar venue fee in cla’s post was due to the fee required to reserve the event hall at the best western. 700 dollars! If the objection from the onset is that the fee to enter is too high , the it is far easier to find another location the. To try and convince everyone.

I would love to have an event in Keene. But I understand that as an aspiring tournament organizer, the burden is on me to create demand for my event. If there are vocal critics over an event, then I need to do what I can to satisfy my customers (the players and spectators). I will be doing research during this weekend and making some calls on other potential venues.

Let me also put out this idea. Tell me what you all think. Would any of you be interested in a bar fights styled event. A series of events that could assist cla and I in raising the necessary money needed to run a big tournament. Based on the objections on this board, this sounds like the appropriate course of action in order to make the big tournament in nh a reality.

The other avenue I can see myself pursuing is finding a small event space that will allow the core vt/nh/ma/me group to form. I understand this is not what you were intending cla. I was all hyped about throwing down for that huge hall, but the customers are speaking vocally against the fee amongst other complaints.

Feedback please.

Michael Garcia.

Again, have you guys approached any local businesses or gaming stores to sponsor your event to help drop the venue fee?
Doing this on your own and having excess venue fees will accomplish little in establishing a prominent scene.
You need businesses to back you up for the long haul and a live stream that can be advertised on to lure them into doing business.

Agreeing with anything Will has posted.

Basically, since there is virtually no scene in NH/VT to speak of at this point, aside from a select few players, you’re not going to get much hype unless you do some serious work. I’m talking sponsors, teaser trailers, door-knocking from regional thread to thread - encouraging people to stop by, as well as personal conversation with existing well-known players to get people talking about it. You’re going to need to invest a lot of time into this if you’re thinking of making an event worth going to, otherwise I doubt anyone will drive/fly out to New Hampshire (to which people will ask, ‘wtf is in NH?’) for an unknown tournament with no bonus pot, $15 dollar venue fee, and $10 tournament entree fee. It’s just not going to happen.

You might want to pick a more central location for the scene if you’re not looking to do all that work. I strongly suggest speaking with Mr. Wizard or Big E (the latter being more realistic) about how to go about starting tourneys you want to be big. You do have to start small, obviously, but if you don’t have any company money (i.e. sponsors) to throw around, you’re going to have a difficult time getting people to see why they should go through the effort of driving up there and paying what is honestly a ridiculous venue fee. People will not pay it, so I suggest you find another venue at the very least.

Bar fights is a fine idea, as long as people under 21 can enter. Limiting your customers is not a good idea. This is kind of obvious, but you should set up a stream if you’re going to do something like that as well. Doing so can be expensive if you want to do it right. There are a few people in the community that know how to run one effectively. You should ask around after you’ve gotten the more important issues above sorted out.

P.S. Expect to lose money out of your own pocket for the first few tourneys. If they’re successful, eventually you’ll start making money, but not much if you want to keep things fresh and hype. If you’re not doing this for love of the scene, I suggest you stop now. I say this with respect - I am not assuming that’s the case. Just thought I’d throw that in there if it is.

This gentleman speaks truth:tup:. A group of us helped foster the relationship and successful tournament run at PWA (Pelham, NH) back in August, you need to start smaller. We ran bi-weekly casuals, and as interest grew it became weekly culminating in the August tournament. We were a small group of 5 players doing casuals and turned it into a 60+ person tournament with heavy representation from Maine, MA and players we have never met before from NH. I am sure you are aware of all that needs to be done, but the focus doesn’t seem to be there at the moment. Rather than bartering with venues, or taking polls of interest from the few players that know SRK exists, more focus should probably be directed towards building the local scene. Ask Maine about the SRK thing. They recently ran into quite a few players who are only now finding out about this place.

Regardless, if the area is built with a strong foundation of players from ME/NH/VT then the heavy reliance on attracting MA, CT, NY etc will not be there. It will be a luxury to bolster your already potent numbers with top talent from surrounding areas and not a neccessity that makes or breaks your efforts. MA certainly doesnt need the northern states attending its tournaments to gaurantee good turnout and its because they have a strong foundation of core players to support their own efforts. GU goes off without a hitch every week, so did Souperbowl and I am certain you will find it no different throughout stronger New England areas. VT/ME/NH do not have that simple yet necessary foundation yet. If you arent trying to build a core then I think that is a huge problem. It creates a situation as you are seeing now that makes local sponsorships, gamestores, venues etc a neccessity that requires capital most gamers do not possess. It should be a luxury that sets the scene apart, not a necessity that keeps it alive.

Edit: More than willing to assist and/or meet up to discuss the ideas in person. Unlike many (as will mentioned in his earlier post) the fear or distate for driving long distances to play doesnt effect me or the people I play with in NH. Up to you;).

I’ll echo a lot of the sentiments already stated for emphasis: I like what you guys are trying to do for sure, but you can’t just jump in and start holding majors, expecting big turnouts like Big E’s tourneys. Hell, I would say don’t even expect a 40-man turnout like GU usually enjoys for it’s semi-monthlies. I’m with NewBlood; I don’t mind a long drive for a solid tourney, but I won’t drive three hours to get there every month for a ~20 man turnout.

Also fun fact: My friends in the SF scene used to take turns going up to NH and ME for tournaments back in Vanilla because it was absolutely free money. I agree that you need to build a representative scene before all else.

Exactly why something needs to be established. The “free” parts saddens me a bit, but everyone should be playing more Soul Caliber anyway haha.

I really like what I’m reading here guys. While I’m unable to attend the PWA tourney today, I will do my damndest to get there next time. I just need to pay more attention.

Start small and work your way up, your looking at venues but what equipment do you have? Tournaments should not have to be dependent on donated equipment.

I WOULD LOVE THIS! I just moved to Boston last year, I haven’t had time to look for meet ups yet. You can def count me down for this shizzle.

Good news. I’ve found a hotel in Brattleboro, vt that will be far less expensive then the best western in Keene. This is the holiday inn express. Venue fee will only be $5.00. March 11 is the date that works, given their availability. This is a Sunday. If OP or anyone here believes a sat would be a better date, there is an opening feb, 25. But that is my daughters birthday. I would not be able to take on the leadership role for that date. After 2/25 there is not another sat open until april.

If a set up is brought then I would waive the fee. The plan is to run as many games as possible. If your game is not on the list simply request it.

Sf ae
Umvc3
ScV
Sf X tk
Mk9

These will all have a 10 dollar buy in. I’m also thinking of hiring a caterer to take care of everyone when they get hungry. I will update all of you when I find out how much that would be. We will have the room from 12:00 am until midnight. Stay tuned. It’s time for new England to grow.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brattleboro
100 Chickering Road
Brattleboro, VT 05301
Near intersection with Putney Road

The name for that place would be a given as well.

BATTLEBORO

This sounds like a wonderful plan! Keep us posted!

You actually have a pretty decent scene. Very good players. You might be able to hitch a ride with one of 'em if you ask nicely.

Generalvivi, if you’re in Boston, there are like 8 Massachusetts threads on the front page. If you’re looking for meet-ups, pick one. I recommend the Game Underground thread. It’s about 25 minutes out from Boston. We have meet ups twice a week on Tuesday and Friday. UGS also has the same on Saturdays and Wednesdays(?)

Whoa what casuals? Lol what community college? I’ve been trying to find a place I can go that is not far. I live in providence, and the RI scene pretty much just consists of me and my friends lol.

lol

I intend on finalizing my business with the hotel tomorrow and begin gathering the necessary materials for a tournament. Once I have signed the contract, I will create a post under tournament announcements! I have spoken with the events coordinators of Level up NH in Manchester. He will be offering me set ups and bringing a table. He would like casuals to start up again in his store but needs to finish his renovations first. That will be starting in April.

Oh shit lol, my bad I didn’t mean any disrespect to anybody who I don’t know in RI that plays fighting games lol. My bad ralph and will

Awesome! I can’t wait for this to actually happen!