Necalli Q&A Thread

Turning the active frames into frame advantage. Basically every active frame after the one you hit with is added onto the recovery of a move. Frame advantage assumes you hit with the first active frame. So if you hit with the last active frame, that’s 3 frames that don’t get added onto the recovery, but rather onto your frame advantage.

How does necalli’s V-trigger affect the frame data for all of his stuff?

Back in the tech thread I read about his Oki game consisting of landing meaty lk/lp but I’ve also seen people landing meaty hk after landing a knockdown…

First of all after Target Combo: How do I land meaty lk (wouldnt lp be better always since it also beats 3 frame moves?) and if it hits how do i combo off it

What are tricks to get the timing of hk meaty down? I ve seen peopel whiff moves on purpose to get the timing right on it

cr.hp is faster by 2f, cr.mp gets an extra frame of advantage on hit, stomps are slightly safer on block with HK being +2. Vframes has LK as -3 on block and MK as -1 on block.

The point of doing a meaty is that you hit them on the first frame of standing up so you beat everything with your button. And in what situation are you doing this meaty? After a dash up midscreen post Target Combo? After a corner reset?

The point of doing a meaty is that you hit them on the first frame of standing up so you beat everything with your button. And in what situation are you doing this meaty? After a dash up midscreen post Target Combo? After a corner reset?
[/quote]

So the most common knockdown situations I get are: From target combo and crouching hk or Counter cr.hk

I dont want to worry about corner yet its too much info for me to retain atm lol

I’m really lost in the topic and would greatly appreciate what buttons to whiff or w.e to make the timing easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CVn6lIzr7Y
in 1:4- i see him whiffind moves on purpose so the timing for the meaty hk comes out perfect

Thank you in advance

So the most common knockdown situations I get are: From target combo and crouching hk or Counter cr.hk

I dont want to worry about corner yet its too much info for me to retain atm lol

I’m really lost in the topic and would greatly appreciate what buttons to whiff or w.e to make the timing easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CVn6lIzr7Y
in 1:4- i see him whiffind moves on purpose so the timing for the meaty hk comes out perfect

Thank you in advance
[/quote]

Off most knockdowns you have to manually time it, there just isn’t enough time to whiff a normal after a dash if they quickrise/backroll. Target Combo gives you 35/40f on quickrise/backroll, so you can do a double dash and be +1/+6. If they have no 3f normals you can just do a st.lk, but if they do you should do a st.lp against the quickrise and a st.lk against the backroll I believe. This leaves you in range to either tick throw or combo on hit (can only do double jab XX EX Stomps on quickrise, but you get a meaty enough st.lk to go into cr.mp on hit if they backroll).

So it’s better oki than a Slash ender, which is consistent with my earlier findings.

When is a good time to use Necalli’s hp’s? It baffles my mind that he actually is worse off damage-wise when he gets a CC on his hp’s compared to if he could just continue his stomp combo without the CC knocking the opponent into the air.

So I feel like I’m definitely better off using st. hk for CC punishes and fishing. I literally can’t think of a use for his hp’s besides aa with cr. hp.

They’re really combo buttons. Well, cr.hp is also slightly useful as an anti-air and in combos while st.hp is kind of worthless from what I can tell. I sometimes use then to fish for confirms into HK Stomp in VT as you get decent damage on hit and are +2 on block.

Off most knockdowns you have to manually time it, there just isn’t enough time to whiff a normal after a dash if they quickrise/backroll. Target Combo gives you 35/40f on quickrise/backroll, so you can do a double dash and be +1/+6. If they have no 3f normals you can just do a st.lk, but if they do you should do a st.lp against the quickrise and a st.lk against the backroll I believe. This leaves you in range to either tick throw or combo on hit (can only do double jab XX EX Stomps on quickrise, but you get a meaty enough st.lk to go into cr.mp on hit if they backroll).

So it’s better oki than a Slash ender, which is consistent with my earlier findings.
[/quote]

Right after the double dash finishes do I just start spaming the lk/lp? I tried it and this seems like the only way because as soon as you reach the opponent they are already getting up… also what if you don’t get a counter hit? is that the end of your pressure?

And if its not a quickrise what are your meaty options?/you get a knockdown off sweep so no need to double dash

Right after the double dash finishes do I just start spaming the lk/lp? I tried it and this seems like the only way because as soon as you reach the opponent they are already getting up… also what if you don’t get a counter hit? is that the end of your pressure?

And if its not a quickrise what are your meaty options?/you get a knockdown off sweep so no need to double dash
[/quote]

After a Target Combo yes, you just press it instantly. After a sweep it’s one dash, wait a tick, press st.lk. If they don’t quickrise you can time a safejump. Slow wakeup is 59f slower than quickrise it seems, so pick a framekill accordingly

Basic question. I hear people saying Necalli’s ex grab is super useful. I’ve just been using regular grab. I don’t think ex gains any extra invincibility or speed. So is it mainly better because of the damage output. Or does it also provide better positioning and setups?

More range, damage, and setups. You basically lose pressure after a normal command grab but you can sweep or reset after an EX grab. Even do a left/right in the corner or VT

What are your prefered ways to activate trigger?

Also, do you BnB with target combo until you can activate trigger or do you rely on solo vskill +taking dmg to get trigger ready?

Generally off a poke to give me a cancel unless I’m way behind.

I’ll use the target combo mainly in three circumstances. If I get a midscreen jump in/crush counter confirm where I can’t do a HP combo and Slash won’t put them in the corner, and in the corner when I get that same confirm but can’t get the HP combo rolling. That’s because you get better pressure midscreen off a target combo, and you get better damage in the corner alongside the chance for an aerial reset.

The last place I use it is whiff punishing with st.mk. It’s tough, but it’s the only way to convert damage without charge or super on a lot of whiff punishes.

That said, 90% of my V Gauge tends to come from taking damage anyways, as those aren’t super common occurrences.

That’s such a smart opportunity to use it, I can’t believe I didn’t think of that before. I’ve always been ending my punishes with slash

Negative edge fucking any one else up?

I negative edge mp slash after cr mp. All. The. Time. Super bad habit that manifested itself in sf4 when I briefly played evil Ryu.

I can’t decide if I want to work on holding down mp in that scenario or focus on tapping. Probably more productive to focus on tapping.

Exactly what I’m talking about!!!

I usually hold mp, had a lot of trouble with negative edge in sf4 too (I just hold the buttons too long it seems…) and just holding it down helped me

I remember a vid about what Necalli can get after crush counter cr.HP. I can’t seem to find it since its quite old.
He’s sometimes out of range for sweep or DP…is there anything guranteed that Necalli can combo into after cr.HP CH anti-air?