MvCI Morrigan Thread: Come, I'll show you such pleasures!

Morrigan Missions performed by me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paDRxy6_rjk

If anyone’s watching SEAM. Champo (the guy who’s running Morrigan May Cry in that vid I posted) is in top 8, losers side, after falling to Eliver. At the very least, @“DevilJin 01” should try to catch it.

Yeah I’ve already watched all of it. He did pretty good until he fought Kazunoko and ended up switching to reality stone just to get some control over his play. Still need to put together some of that tempest lockdown and corner setups off the crazy dance. The neutral of the team I’m starting to get down though.

Oh and random thing about Morrigan. I picked this up watching Sonicfox. Now with the new air dash system it allows you to air dash earlier after doing a directional forward forward dash. Doing a forward forward dash allows Morrigan to float forward in the air without using up an air dash or going into flight. This is cool because now you can float up over someone’s head to look as if you’re going to cross them up, then air dash backwards and hit them back in front. Sonicfox does this with Jedah all of the time when he has people near the corner (with enough space to cross them up) or in the space box and it’s pretty much a guaranteed opener.

In Marvel 3 you couldn’t really do this too well as you needed to be up way too high in the air to air dash to make a viable mix up out of it. Now it’s pretty easy to do with both of the Darkstalkers.

Which means this essentially gives you a 3 option mix up just off of a forward dash.

1. Forward dsah in j.HP (hit in front, non cross up)
  2. Forward dash in j.HP (hit as cross up over their back)
  3. Forward dash in, air dash backwards j.HP (hits back in front, fake cross up).

That’s 3 possible scenarios to block with no low involved. If you do this right after a lockdown special tagged in from another character like Dante you get a free 3 option right after the block stun ends. Just have to make sure to wait for the block stun to end from the tagged move as left/right auto block sets in during most tagged in attacks. Morrigan can start her air dash after the forward dash a little bit faster and a bit lower to the ground than Jedah can so you can start the pressure even faster with her.

With a button dash (2P/PP) you can still get a 3 way that involves cross up low as well.

1. Button dash j.HP (hits in front, non cross up)
  2. Button dash j.HP (hits in back, cross up)
  3. Button dash j.MK or j.HK to whiff and land on the ground, c.LK (cross up low)

NOTE: button dash j.MK/HK whiff requires them to be crouching to perform. You’ll want to bait them with some lows to get that option to work.

With these options you can pretty much make Morrigan near unblockable once you get in. I already have people chicken blocking and super jumping away from my Morrigan as it is, so with this stuff they’ll be trying even more. These mix ups are much harder to reaction chicken block than box dash HP and make your cross up low easier than having to go up in the air and dash down. Which can be easy to screw up with the height restriction and make you just whiff in the air.

Yeah, those mixups are good if your opponent isn’t in lockdown, but if they are those mixups don’t work :frowning:

And if they aren’t, the opponent can just do some shit… but still decent mixups nonetheless.

Don’t forget that off of button dash crossup jhp that you can cancel into a back airdash jhp to go back to the other side. Same as an ultron that does like jhp, land> fly> box dash jhp crossup xx airbackdash jhp for another crossup back to the other side.

Champ has used that specific mixup a few times, but it’s kinda hard to setup because you need a slow flight cancel and your starting button to not be pushblocked.

That was something I already was theorizing when I heard about the auto guard thing before the game came out. That’s also why I said this.

Pretty much explaining that you can do exactly what you are saying you can’t do. If you want to do a left/right during a lockdown you just wait for the block stun to end and you get a free heavy advantaged left/right setup because right after the block stun ends they are free to the left right at big disadvantage. Unless they have an invincible super or frame 1 hyper armor the cross up is free to perform. Which since you’re playing Morrigan you get extra way because you have high and low cross ups.

Which if they somehow still block that your partner should be recovered in time for you to string them in afterwards for more lockdown and more shit that they can’t chicken block. Sonicfox tends to do these crosses/fake crosses raw against someone in the spacebox, but with a lockdown tool you can pretty much do it anywhere right after block stun is over. Which means someone like Jedah can pretty much do it on his own once he locks you down with a wheel. Works often as people are looking at Jedah flying behind them for what would seem like a cross up overhead/low, then dashes back in front when you’re most likely already holding forward.

The only thing you’d really need to work on is figuring the timing so that you can create the crosses/fake crosses while not leaving too much of a gap to be mash anti aired. Which since Morrigan can do her set up lower to the ground with a nice j.HP hit box it should easy enough.

Shoutout to Ketsui for demonstrating how to deal Dormammu’s Rose Garden for Morrigan!

https://twitter.com/Ketsui_Storm/status/925462241696272385

oh boy So I suck at this game coming from Marvel 3. I’m playing Sigma/Morrigan is that a good place to start? Any tricks to creating relentless pressure with morrigan? Also I think she is great with time stone, but I’m thinking power stone because you can’t reflect projectiles in the surge.

This is such an awesome post, thanks for sharing! Definitely gonna try this out later on.

I remember reading somewhere that plink air dashes still work in this game. Can Morri plink dash during flight mode? Every time I try, my flight cancels the moment I do an air dash attack

You can cancel air dashes into jabs to get like a funky dash cancel, but that’s all I know of. Morrigan’s isn’t bad, but not as good as like Nova’s or Iron Man’s.