MK9 | See my Shadow? The MK9 Noob Saibot Guide/Discussion Thread

I would love to see a rushdown Noob, but that’s not what he is made for. His keepaway is much better than his rushdown. His best position is just outside of your opponents sweep range.

Seems to me that Shadow Tackle is one of the best projectiles in the game. It’s fast and huge. Wouldn’t you want to be fullscreen from other players? There are obvious matchups where you wouldn’t want to trade (Sub Zeros). Teleport characters could be problematic, but you could bait those and punish. Against other characters you could probably safely trade with and end up on the winning end.

This not a pro gamers opinion by any means, buut I am quite experienced with fighting games.

Noob’s strength is by far his zoning, id go as far to say I see him as the dhalsim of MK9.

I have yet to play someone in person, buut noob is a great online character.

His projectile is really awesome (running man that is), you can spam that and nearly kill someone. If the start jumping? Shadow upper keeps them out. This is very easy to do because of the lag.

After you get them frustrated with running man, you can start doing tele-slam and catching them trying to projectile you, or poorly timed jumps.

If they get in on me, I usually block until I can successfully pull off b+fp, bp, fp, bk. If the third fp connects, ill finish with teleslam, perhaps I should start doing knee regardless? You’ll usually catch them because they don’t expect that since they just think you’re a running man spammer.

I’ve posted some matchup info about Noob in my Smoke thread. The Smoke boards don’t seem too interested in discussing matchups, so I was hoping people here are. If you could take a quick look at the info I posted and tell me where you agree and disagree, I’d be very grateful. It’s always helpful to talk about matchups from both sides.

Here’s what I have written:

Noob

[details=Spoiler]Matchup: ?/?

Strategy: This matchup is way in your favor. You have the advantage in every screen position. Just apply your tools correctly and you should come out on top.

Noob usually excels at long range. His shadow tackle is faster than most other ranged options, he can threaten with a low projectile, and when he makes the enemy crouch to avoid the low, he can teleport in or just continue chipping. This is usually what a Noob player will try to do to opponents, and his game revolves around getting back into this position.

Smoke’s shake totally undermines this whole strategy. It ignores the low mixup completely and you can do it on reaction to all of his projectiles if you’re sharp. Shake also recovers fast enough that even if the Noob player baits it and tries to punish it on reaction, you’ll be able to block and punish in time. Noob can try to predict your shake and teleport at the same time, but doing so is extremely in your favor. He gets 10% off of a successful prediction while you get 44%. So long as you watch for random x-rays, you should crush him from this far away.

Since you beat him so badly at range, Noob has to get close to you. The problem for him is that you still have an advantage there. Noob only has one mixup. They start with B+1, 2, and from there he can to F+4 for a low or B+1, 4 for an overhead into a special. Most of the time Noobs go for the overhead because the payoff is so much better, but even if he lands the whole string it’s at most 23%. Meanwhile, your abare is much, much higher, and you can get big payoffs from hits that he gets very little from (such as a jump kick, 39% for you and 7% for him). You also boast a faster sweep and much faster overhead, meaning you should be getting more hits in than he does.

Last point to watch out for is that he can teleport in the air. Stay blocking while he’s jumping. He may try to bait anti-airs this way, but again if you catch him it’s 44% for you and only 7% for him.

The numbers are way in your favor for this matchup. Just play solidly, erring on the side of caution. Noob has to take big risks to win this matchup, so just watch out for them and punish appropriately.[/details]

I feel like Noob gets wrecked by Smoke. This IMO is at least a 6/4 in favor of Smoke, possibly as bad as 7/3. Smoke has a solid and highly advantageous answer to absolutely everything I’ve seen Noob players do. Whenever I run into Noob I sigh in relief because I know that I can just play methodically and win. Let me know if you agree and if you have any anti-Smoke strategies.

I can’t believe people in this thread said noob can rush down at all. Yeah he can do meaty attacks and do a basic throw/sweep mix up on a knockdown but, his normals are way to slow to challenge anyone or be able to keep them guessing and blocking with different block stings. Not to mention if you high block all day he can only hit you with a sweep which is blockable on reaction or hit you with a low clone which doesnt even knock down and I’m pretty sure it’s even unsafe on HIT if he’s close enough.

You pretty much have to stay at max AA upknee range and try to keep them here by making them guess if you’re going to DP or fireball but, even that is risky against half of the cast or more.

The clone is way more punishable than anyone realizes, that’s the only reason you’re not getting hit after they block one right now. After more time goes by you’ll get punished for every one.

Once you get a life lead and you get full screen you can clone clone clone and run away because it’s not punishable anymore unless they have something fullscreen with armor or a teleport.

Going in is a death sentence against any of the top tier and almost as bad against everyone else.

I’ve been playing Noob and only Noob since the game came out and I can say even though I beat most people the only reason they’re losing is because they’re not blocking. Maybe I’d still be winning at the time out if they decided to block more but, right now people are taking way more damage than they should be.

I think he’s a really cool character which is why I have stayed with him for so long but, his entire game plan (competitively that is) is literally just clones and run away. It gets pretty dull. I’m starting messing around with some alts but, I keep going back into training mode trying to find more and more so I don’t have to switch. However, I don’t think it’s going to happen. Even CHECK4900s Noob videos were pretty fucking weak and only involved corner combos.

I can understand the dhalsim comparison, but he reminds me more of Sagat. Fast high projectile, good low projectile, good anti-air. He can run a classic fireball trap really well…then on top of it running man knocks down if it connects. He might turn out to be the best zoner in the game.

That’s actually a very interesting dissection of how a Smoke/Noob match would play out. I usually become a little bit more conservative when it comes to using the Shadow Tackle when I’m playing against someone who has a teleport, so your point about Noobs getting up close is valid. I’m interested to see if anyone has something to say about this matchup as well. Also, let’s play sometime! :smiley:

^QFT

Getting someone stuck in the corner and nailing them with Ghostball can lead to his most damaging setups, but Noob is a zoning character, first and foremost.

Noob is defiantly good at zoning, I’m still of the mindset that no one can out zone noob, his fireballs are large and quick, he has a low fireball and most importantly he has a decent teleport that can shutdown other peoples zoning attempts.

However! I believe noob really excels at his ability to control space and dictate the pace of the match. I truly think he’s the dhalsim of the game, but not SF4 Dhalsim, super turbo Dhalsim.

One of your main focus’s is figuring out when you can sneak in shadow clones (in matchups like raiden you just simply cant throw clones since he can teleport EASILY on reaction, but in matchups like against subzero you can throw shadows all day) But more than that you are trying to work people into the corner and to build meter whenever possible. (I think in one of my last tournament matches i used breaker three time in a round) you can easily take the game from being slow paced zoning to a good, safe, pressure game.

Noobs pressure game.
Unfortunately noob doesn’t have the greatest block string pressure midscreen. But taking advice from Tom Brady I’ve implemented a pretty good system of getting in close and making my opponent guess.

-Everything revolves around Noobs crouching 3, from it (on it or block) you can
throw (which will beat block and put them closer to the corner)
upkick (which will beat throw tech, jumps and counter pokes, reset the situation and is safe)
back up a bit and do the 1+2+1+4 string (which beats throw tech, jumps, and counter pokes)
cr.3 again to get a better judge of how they are going to react

This take alot of dashing forward and quick thinking (I’m still getting used to doing it but I’ve seen it be VERY effective) in general cr.3 into throw works allot but I haven’t mastered dashing up and getting the pressure going again because they are a bit to far away to make this effective, so you need to inch your way back in after a throw (but it does let you play the throw wake up game pressure and either keep zoning or allows you to close some distance)

-After a throw or teleport
check them with a shadow on wakeup (this works on almost everyone and forces them to block)
dash up and get a jump in (this works pretty well but beware of people with good wake up)
dash up and try to get into cr.3 distance

-In a corner*
This is where Noob becomes awesome ANY button leads to a corner combo that resets into ghostball.
b+1,2,1,4 xx upshadow, 1,2 (or 2,1) xx ghostball
f+4,3 xx upshadow, 1,2 (or 2,1) xx ghostball
b+2,1,4 xx upshadow, 1,2 (or 2,1) xx ghostball
neutral jump punch, 1,2 (or 2,1) xx upkick 1,2 (or 2,1) xx ghostball
(My favorite) f+3,3 xx upkick, cr 1 xx upkick, 1,2 (or 2,1) xx ghostball
(second favorite) upkick, cr 1 xx upkick, 1,2 (or 2,1) xx ghostball

*All of these combos can be extended by canceling into upkicks instead of ghostball, or using ex upkicks depends on how much damage you need to do.

i heard noob is for noob no joke i haven’t played online yet i was gonna main him but i hear you’ll get alot of hate mail

Hate mail is awesome, though.

Anyways, you’ll get hate mail from winning in general.

Wow

That Kabal player just wasn’t good at all. The Noob player did ankle shots the whole time with a few tackles here and there. I would have owned both those guys. I honestly think there was just input lag online on both ends so the Noob chose to go with the cr FK game instead because he NEVER jumped to maximize his damage. Kabal on the other hand should have repeated Saws to scare Noob’s ankle shots and whiffed upkicks. :-/

lol noob is not garbage at all and he’s not top teir. But if you play him right, you can beat anyone. It’s all about knowing how to zone your opponent at a range that gives you more options than your opponent, then capitalizing on their decisions. His zoning game is different with every character due to the recovery of their moves.

LOL I LOVE HATEMAIL ! Here’s mines :wink:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/225587_362191144952_508229952_1306489_959982_n.jpg?dl=1

Well…when I play against a Smoke player I relax myself. It’s all about baiting Smoke to do what I want him to do. He doesn’t have a high-low mix-up game so I really don’t have to worry about close range combos that trip me off my block decisions. Against Smoke it’s all about the bait. Smoke players know that they have to come toward me to get damage. I can stay a jump distance away and force him to dash, jump, or teleport toward me. Well, When he jumps I anti-air punch him into a 22% combo which sets him back where he started (on the other side of the screen) If he dashes I can cr FK to an upkick to stop him in his tracks and knock him back just in case he tried dashing to a cross-over. If he teleports (which is what most of them do) while spinning in the air I can start the [ back +1,2,1,4 ] combo. Happens all the time. His Smoke Cloud is fast and tricky at times but don’t let it scare you Noob players. It takes no damage and if your at a jump distance away and you can predict it, jump it and execute a jump punch combo and make him desperate to dash toward you and try rushing you down but everything just repeats itself.

^ All of this.

Patience is key with Noob. He is slow to get damage and you actually have to think, rather than just mindlessly launching a shadow assault team. Bait your opponent and make them play to you.

^ QFT. Ghostball traps in the corner are by far this characters most damaging tool-set. Get these programmed into your muscle memory.

LOL Fighting games… it’s serious bidness, yo! xD

Overview:

Noob is an extremely popular zoning character, but there are some dirty tricks and secrets that make him an unpredictable, and deadly, foe. Possessing 3(?) resets, one of which comes in at least half a dozen versions, the aforementioned zoning, the ability to safety virtually all strings on block, at least 1-2 frame traps(?), and a 50/50 are a few things that make Noob one tricky son of a bitch.

Strings (In order of usefulness):

f4,3 13%- Best used in corner combos, or for flashyness. Can be punished with uppercut due to second hit going completely over a ducking opponent (similar to Sektor’s f4,4). Otherwise not too useful.

1,2 9%- Best used for juggles both midscreen and corner. Least powerful, but suffers little damage scaling because of it. Safe on block. Pushes opponent back. Can be used for pressure.

b1,2,f4 13%- Part of the 50/50. Acts as a reset(?). If low hits only, but is otherwise blocked, does 10% chip. Very punishable. Only string that can’t be special cancelled. Best used for mixups.

2,1,2 12%- Best used for corner combos and max x-ray damage midscreen. Delay on 3rd hit. Can be made safe on block with shadows.

f3,3,3 14%- Best used for pressure. Closest thing to a frame trap (if not a frame trap) Noob has. Can be stopped short for pokes, sweeps, shadows, restarts, etc. Safe on block if full string is done.

b1,2,1,4 16%- Most commonly seen string. 3rd hit is overhead. Safe on block (kinda). Easily cancellable. Equal advantage if stopped on 1st hit. Stop after 1st hit is blocked and uppercut, throw, etc.

b2,1,413%- Fast starting, easy juggle, semi-safe on block. 2nd hit is overhead. Sets up ambiguous situations.

Specials:

Ghostball- Disables blocking. Ex also mixes up opponent’s controls. Glitch means the confuse part doesn’t work online. Best used for setups. Easily punishable.

Black Hole- 3 versions. Best used for resets, but not possible for that purpose on MK2 costume. Can be used for traps. Rather punishable. Juggle from it midscreen for best results. Results in at least half a dozen reset options. Ex lands almost instantly.

Teleport- Highly punishable on block. Fast. Can be stopped with projectiles that hit from above (up skulls, up missiles). 10% normally, 14% Ex.

Shadow Tackle- Most popular projectile. Most damaging. Can be an AA. Punishable. Can be blocked high or low. Ex does more damage, but takes longer to recover.

Shadow Slide- Low projectile. Must be crouch blocked. Best used to force jumps. Ex resets.

Shadow Upknee- One of the best defensive moves in game. Fast and covers wide area around Noob. Ex is extremely hard to avoid. Safe on block. Can be comboed off of as an AA, or when Ex’d anytime.

Resets:

String- b1,2,f4 can technically be a reset. Dash in after the low hits to restart offense. Hard to wake up from. Must be tech rolled or blocked. Mix in b1,2,1,4 for hard to predict situations.

Shadow Slide- After hitting your opponent with any knockback string (b1,2,1,4; b2,1,4; etc.) used an Ex. shadow slide to knock them up to half screen back to you.

Black Hole- Comes in many versions and followups. Use b1,2,1,4 then behind BH then tackle to keep them in hole’s area. Can be tech rolled out of all versions most of the time. Use b2,1,4 into either above BH without tackle/slide if they lay there, or behind with shadow for reset. Follow any up with 1,2; b2,1,4; or b1,2,1,4 to continue reset.

Additional Move notes:

Has one of the fastest uppercuts in game, but has small hitbox. Use upknee instead. Sweep is kinda slow. All but the b1,2,f4 string can be safe on block with any shadow moves.

Easy no meter 41% corner combo (adjust to situation accordingly): JP; 2,1,2; upknee; 2,1,2; upknee; 1,2; upknee; 1,2 upknee.

Matchup ratings 1-10:

Scorpion- 4
Liu Kang- 6
Kung Lao- 4
Sub Zero- 7
Sindel- 5
Ermac- 7
Reptile- 5
Kitana- 5
Johnny Cage- 4
Jade- 7
Mileena- 4
Nightwolf- 4
Cyrax- 6
Noob- 5
Smoke- 4
Sektor- 4
Sonya- 5
Jax- 5
Kano- 6
Stryker- 5
Shang Tsung- 4
Baraka- 8
Kabal- 3
Raiden- 2
Cyber Sub- 7
Sheeva- 8
Quan Chi- 5
Skarlet- 5
Kenshi- 6
Rain- 5
Freddy- 3

These ratings are kinda random, but the lower the number the tougher the matchup, so those are the best counter picks if you’re a scrub that has to do so.

Potential updates in future.