MK9 | Need help vs. Scorpion

Ok, so Scorpion gives me serious problems. Teleports get me often, I think I’ve been hit with 80% of the xrays performed on me and that ground fire is hell. I have a Youtube playlist of many, many games against my friend, if anyone wants to take a look and diagnose.

The scorpion and Sub-Zero chronicles

No, this is not a plug for my YouTube page. I genuinely need help. My friend switched to J Cage just because of all the “OP” and “imbalance” bitching I’ve been doing about Scorpion. Now he’s getting destroyed about 85% of the time (Sub vs Cage) and I know it’s just a matter of time until I have to deal with Scorpion again.

I’m also interested in and willing to spar with any Scorpion players, as well. I have MK for both Xbox and PS3.

Hard to judge cuz it feels like you both haven’t tapped ur chars full potential. I saw alot of really weak punishes and bad special move usage.You and him both need to master yourselves and your chars before anyone can really start giving match-up specific advice. Work on your pressure strings in general and your hit confirms. Work on 2,2 pressure mix-ups and don’t be afraid to throw out the occasiona ice blast. Fall back on the random slides.

Block a tele and do aFULL combo for upwards of 30% not an uppercut. Relax with the those low pokes thatdon’t lead to anything. Only low Kuai Liang needs is his sweep to get them knockdowns and start wake-up shenanigans.

I think this match is 5/5 btw.

Also online is ass.

Looks like your friend has three favorite ways of attacking. The spear, teleport punch, and hellfire. He seems to like the footsie/zoning game too. I see that you like to ice clone and wait behind the clone to see how your friend reacts and throw in a slide on reaction.Unfortunately in a footise/zoning game between sub and scorpion, sub will lose. All of sub’s moves have either a long start up or long recovery all of which aren’t that great for distance game. I found sub to be more of a rushdown character that takes his opponent into his pace. You can really program your opponent and limit his options in your favor.

Spear:
Scorp’s spear has ridiculously fast startup but has really long recovery on block and longer on whiff. Depending how far you are when you block or dodge this, you can get him into a full combo or a slide. At a distance, I found a slide to be useful. It knocks him down and gets you in so you can do all kinds of mixups. Up close, you can do your 2, 2, iceball - NJ/ 1 or 2, dash - (b+1), 2 - 2,1,2, slide. That punish is guarantee 25-35% damage and will make your friend think twice before throwing out a random spear again. You can always do a trade with your enhanced iceball and get him with combo too.

Teleport Punch:
Your friend seems to like this move from a distance and on wakeup. To prevent him from using this from a distance, you can create a clone and stand in front of it. This will take away his ability to teleport from a distance or he’ll do it anyway and you get a free full combo. An airborne freeze is better punished with a
NJ/ 1 or 2, dash - (b+1), 2 - 2,1,2, slide for max damage (around 25%). A wakeup teleport has invincibility on startup so you cant really do any mixup when he gets up. You can just block his teleport for a full combo opportunity. You seem to punish with just an uppercut and your’e friend seems to be content with that punish as he keeps abusing the teleport. What you can do is punish with a (b+1), 2 - 2,1,2, slide. This will do around 25% and will cause him to use his teleport more sparingly. You can also do 2,2, iceball - Whiff(b+1), 2 - 2,1,2 slide (He is juggled the entire combo). I havent tried this one yet so you might need to try it in practice mode.

Hellfire:
I have a hard time with this move myself, I usually just predict when he is going to use this move and jump out of it. If you do predict right, it has a lot of recovery so you can slide if your at a distance or punish with a full combo if your up close. He will most likely use this when your at a distance as this move is one of scorp’s best zoning moves. He might use this after he gets a knockdown for free damage so watch out for those. If anyone else has any tips against this, let me know!

X-ray:
Your friend uses this move on wake up and on reaction. From your videos, he uses this move a lot when you create an ice clone and gets you during your recovery. The only thing I can suggest is to watch his meter and play more cautiously when he has x-ray. Less clones, less random slide, more blocking and dash blocking. You can always try to bait it by dash blocking backwards. He might think your making a clone and that your recovering and use his xray in which he’ll meet a block. Find a way to make him use his xray and a position to defend against it.

Sub Rushdown:
(f+4), iceball - NJ/ 1 or 2, dash - (b+1), 2 - 2,1,2, slide :
This is a great combo for anyone that loves to crouch block since the (f+4) hits over head but looks like a sparta kick. Very tricky and deadly. Use this for high and low mixups when your friend is trying to wake up. I use sweep to hit low if he blocks high and the over head combo if I predict he will block low. You can even throw or do some jump in 1 or 2 to really mess with his head.
2,2:
this is probably sub’s best string. This can be used as a hit confirm and can be turned into a powerful full combo or a safe block string. For a block string, you can use the combo 2,2,4, ice clone. This will end the string with a clone literally sitting next to your opponent and acts as a kind of back dash. It will usually leave your opponent immobile or the clone will catch them trying to jump in on you. On hit, you can combo 2,2, iceball - NJ/ 1 or 2, dash - (b+1), 2 - 2,1,2, slide. Easy 30-35%.

Sub is a great character to apply pressure (Especially corner pressure). You want him to keep guessing and you want him to have to limit his choices in fear of getting a really heavy punish. Take him into your pace and don’t let him breathe. If you find him trying to do invincible wake up attacks (i.e. his teleport) or his xray, block accordingly and reward him with a severe beating.

If any of this is inaccurate, please point it out. I’m not too good with explaining.

Wow! Thank you, both Emblemlord and Truewarrior. Lots of great tips, including a couple things I didn’t even know about. Thank you so much for the constructive criticism and taking the time to present all these options, ideas and strategies. Once again, thank you both.

Oh, and for the record, I have improved a good bit since these videos were recorded. Number one reason: throwing. I used to not do it, because I just never thought to and/or hated it so much to the point I would never think to do it. Anyway, I added throwing into my forward pressure game, and it made a huge difference. Ice clone, throw ice, walk in to crouched blocker and throw his ass. It’s worked out pretty well. I’m also getting some use of the enhance ground ice for blockers. God, that thing is very nice.