MK9 | "Let's see what you made of" Kabal general discussion thread

i was in the lab and i did b+121 and did a nj1 and it caught mid screen its weird i can get it every once in a while did it on subzero hmm

This has happened to me too. It has very strange timing.

So something wierd with Kabal today, I was in practice mode messing around with his BnB combos when I realized that for some reason his spin resets the combo counter and damage scaling.

If you do for example :f: 3, 2, :b::f: 4 (spin) then wait for them to come out of it but still look in a dizzy state then repeat it will allow you to combo them again and you’ll get a whole new counter.

I tried putting the AI on auto block and he would still get hit. Then I recorded it and put myself in control holding down block and I just couldn’t stop it.

I’m not sure if it’s a issue that has been fixed if you patch it (i’ve yet to patch the game) but I’m curious to know.

If not, then it’s basically GG 100% to 0.

Looks like it’s an issue in practice mode only, but I can’t test with another person ( no one around ) so if someone else could try it out that’d be cool, if not, that’s cool too.

I tried to do it in versus mode (against the hardest CPU) and he managed to block it, but if I do it in practice and block myself i can’t block it or stop it, so it might just be a practice mode only glitch.

if we could learn the timing this will make his combos sooo much more damaging

It works it’s just hard timing and I prefer to do it the other way, but I’ll keep trying it out to see what I can work up.

EDIT:

After trying it out, the’s a 40% midscreen combo and it’s not that hard to do, the timing is weird on the nj like it has been stated, but I can get it 100% now on Quan (not sure if it’s character specific).

Anyway, if you toss in the nj1 then dash and do f+32 spin, f+32 then tornado slam it’s 37% or 40% with a jump in.

Personally I feel Kabal is not about the damage. 30% seems great for him. His meter should be spent to threaten with ex run or x-ray. I feel that Kabal really shines when he keeps run-stopping. The fact that the opponent doesn’t get knocked down means that they can’t get away unless they do x-ray. Cancelling low attacks into run stop into an overhead command grab is amazing, but also very hard to do. STAY IN THERE FACES

I just tested this by setting the AI on Auto then doing b+1,2,1 x3 in the corner ending with a Spin Dash and then pausing the game, setting the AI block to Full, and finishing off with his X-Ray right as they come out of dizzy. Doesn’t work :frowning:

i’m sure you figured it out by now, but its an overhead command grab.

got some tips to help out
Kabal is like reptile with his nj.2 after the b1,2,1 string
if you hold the jump button during the animation of the last hit in the string and then piano the next input(1or2) this becomes a much more common event. I just made a nice 35% with him and it isnt that hard
Jump in punch optional of course
b.1,2,1 nj.1/2 f.3,2 Spin f.3,2 Tslam or buzzsaw EX

Final note if you land it notice the opponents leg position when they are spread apart like so > i believe is when you should hit them. Try it I may have solved some of his damage issues for midscreen but then there is his dreadful scaling >_>

EDIT: I too can do the reset and picked up a powerful combo, as i am on ps3 i dont know how many updates for the game there have been but i only have one so far.
The way I do it is by waiting until the spin is almost finished and when they are in the animation just before their recovery frames hit them with a jump in kick to fireball then spin. Works every time for me but my version may be outdated or as stated before a practice only glitch.

I’ve recently been trying to pick up kabal. Most aspects of his game are apparent to me, but I feel weird when trying to deal with projectiles. I find that I have to out-projectile them with my own or try to guess with an enhanced dash (which I sometimes get hit out of anyway). How do you guys deal with projectile zoning? What am I missing?

What I try to do is catch my opponent with a spin when they jump away to start zoning so I can stay in close consistently through the match.
If that doesnt work then try to get them with a Buzzsaw just before they land from a jump or after tossing a fireball your way. Usually this will cause them to be knocked down longer than you will take to recover, try closing the distance by Dashing in with B+F.bk and then cancel it with B+Blk when you are close enough( No need to eat a wakeup attack so try to stay at about sweep distance to be safe).If you make it in time throw in a fp,fp,B+bk,fk mixup to pressure them.
Hope I helped a little.

Good players don’t jump that much to make room to zone in my experience. They blockdash backwards.

I know I can trade with buzzsaws, usually slightly in my favor, but they can always threaten something else if they correctly predict the time I buzzsaw, while I have no such option. If I’m down, trading isn’t even an option. Your opponent can tech the knockdown that buzzsaw causes, so I’m not usually left at a big advantage (or even any advantage) after a trade.

I finally figured out that enhanced dash only has armor on startup - very annoying. It’s a pain to time, but when you do you get in for free. Definitely interesting.

I already know how to apply his mixup game after resets and on wakeup. That doesn’t really help me deal with zoning.

Basically the only one who gives me that much annoyance is Noob. He’s the only one who can zone me so hard from full screen (and maybe Shang, but I haven’t played a decent one).

Sorry if I sound dismissive, but my question is very specific and requires a specific answer. There might not even be a magic answer. I’ll keep playing and try to find stuff.

No I understand, I just went from my experience of playing, which sadly hasnt been against many skilled players due to my refusal to play online in a fighting game.I may be lucky with whenever I buzzsaw someone for a trade but, so far if it turns out in your favor all I could say would be to capitalize on the time you have then.
I guess the search continues for that magic answer though.

Also today I played against my friend who is a damn good Shang Tsung because of his odd playstyle. And when playing against him I didnt find it all too difficult to close the gap between us ( though I was beaten away a couple times just to rinse and repeat). Having clairvoyance might help against Noob, try using an Enhanced dash when he uses the low clone, see if you can make it to him in time before he recovers and slaps you with that ink blot of his.

so what is the most damaging combo after a spin? the best one I found was 26% which is pretty poor compare to some of the other characters.

Kabal’s combo damage output is somewhat low. He gets his damage from his resets, not his combos. You shouldn’t be going for straight damage in combos unless it’ll kill your opponent. End the combo in F+4. You’ll put the enemy in stagger state and have enough time to force them to block your next string if you’re quick enough, giving you a free mixup.

I’m away from my xbox, but iirc the string to use after a naked spin is j.p, B+1, 2, 1, dash, 1, F+4 for 20ish % and a reset.

how do you all feel about the recent kabal damage nerfs?

i used to get 37%+ off a spin in the corner with spin, [b+121]x5 (or spin, jump over into the loop if i’m cornered). Now it does almost a full 10% less.

I feel like it was a just reward if you could manage to push them into the corner and land a spin.

I dont really mind the damage nerfs, but i would rather them be more consistent across the board.

reset? Can you explain? So your opponent can only block once you end the combo with a F+4? Also, tomorrow a new patch will be realised and will it change the way we play Kabal?

So I using the nomad dash or block infinite is forward 3,2 into dash cancel with back block? I just picked him up and learned to use his dash loop consistantly offline but the latest patch came out b4 I was able to use it in a match. The back back cancel seems harder to do but does it faster than back block? What makes it more better than using back block? I was wondering how well the dash cancel works as a mix up tool instead of a loop? I see michaelangelo using it post kabal patch. Is it still advantageous than without the special into a cancel? Did he get a damage boost? It doesn’t seem like it.

off topic-

about the b1 2 1 nj1 if has something to do with stance changes cause it ether extends the hitbox or makes it smaller il check and see which stance the characters have to be in for it to work

midscreen bnbs:
j1 > b+1 2 f+1 > dash > b+1 > nomad dash > f+3 2 > tornado slam (33%)