MK9 | How to Start the Fire - Smoke Basics and Matchup Thread

Just tested it. You teleport right into the spin.

Whatever works for you should be how you deal with it. Don’t be disgusted by what it takes to leverage your character’s advantages over the opponent.

Kitana matchup is kinda a pain. She can’t zone you thanks to shake, which is usually her main game. Her normals can be irritating but her big damage options are unsafe, so stay calm. She’s a pain to pin down thanks to square wave, and she can use it to get passed pretty much all of your oki options and stuff your jump ins.

It’s a really weird, annoying match that takes a lot of reading how your opponent reacts to certain situations. It’s probably a 5/5 though.

Updated combo damage to match the new stealth patch. Air throw now prorates slightly more, causing OTG smoke bomb combos to do slightly less damage.

Trying to update the matchup info, but the new forums not having spoiler tags are making that a pain. I included a link to the same info (plus more) on TYM instead until this is resolved.

^Spoiler tags are back and so are the Classic emoticons.

I find this jump in combo to be easier for me-
Jumping :hp:–>:lk:, :hp:–>Jumping :hk:xxThrow–>Smoke Bomb–>:lk:, :d::lp:, :hp:–>Jumping :hk:xxThrow

Is there any way to do Smoke Bomb–>Chain–>Super?
I can never seem to get the Super to combo =/

Sweet. I’ll probably just keep the link though. Easier to update only one thing.

That’s the same combo as the one listed except it’s missing the D+1 in the middle (which probably doesn’t change the damage, but it does make you lose the overhead).

3, D+1, 2 doesn’t combo to x-ray (at least not in the middle of a combo after gravity scaling), so your only option is after a smoke bomb. Comboing x-ray is usually a waste of meter anyway. The extra damage isn’t worth the meter, especially with smoke’s great enhanced moves. It’s really only useful for getting unbreakable damage to finish off your opponent.

Thanks for the feedback.
I updated to 1.02 today and was messing with Smoke and…did they remove his OTG smoke bomb?

The OTG smoke bomb is gone. Just that I would answer you even though you asked quite a while back.

Damn, I was trying out these combos and then I remembered someone said you can still do OTG smoke bombs with MK2 Smoke. Sure enough, I switched costumes and I can’t do it anymore.

I’ve been trying that OTG combo for an hour now and just read that you can’t do it anymore. Weak.

First post should really be updated.

thanks