MK9 | How to Start the Fire - Smoke Basics and Matchup Thread

Added matchup info for Cyber Sub, Ermac, Kung Lao, and Sub Zero. Please offer commentary. I feel like the smoke players aren’t discussing strategy nearly enough. We should be passed the point of being dazzled by combos and should start thinking seriously about matchups. Please offer your own opinions and advice, and please let me know if you think anything I said is wrong!

Edit: Also added Noob and the Smoke mirror.

Hi,

First of all, I’d like to say that the basic guide at the start of the thread has been very helpful. :slight_smile: Anyway, I’m new to the game, coming from an SF background. I’m not sure if this thread is the right place to ask, but I’m still not that well versed in MK game mechanics yet, so I had a few questions:

1. What are Smoke’s okizeme offense options? Does he have any good ways to maintain pressure while staying (reasonably) safe against wake-up moves?

2. So far I’ve been using his teleport punch for AAing, but I was wondering if he had any good anti-air normals.

3. Which of his strings are safe on block?

4. How safe is Smoke Bomb on block at different ranges? (point blank, sweep range, etc.)

5. Regarding enhanced shake, can you get hit out of the start up by a non-low hitting move? Or does it start countering stuff immediately?

Glad you like it.

I covered this in the okizime section, but I’ll summarize here. For more detail, see that section.

Up close, it’s all about cross up jump kick OS air throw. Safe option that leads to a lot of damage and messes up wake up attacks by reversing controls (and specials usually don’t autocorrect anyway).

From far away, smoke bomb beats wake up attacks. If they start blocking, you can go in for a mixup.

Smoke’s AAs are ass. TP is risky but a decent AA.

All of them to my knowledge, and at the very least the ones I mentioned.

I’m not sure about its advantage on block, but at close range your opponent can threaten to jump to make it whiff and punish you with a full combo, so be careful about using it at ranges where your opponent can land a jump in.

It parries immediately.

Revamped the Okizime section to be more specific about your options off of any given knockdown. Get working on your Smoke vortex!

ok just 1 thing about invisiblity ex version

the thing its great for is mind games back 2 is an over head an back 2 3 is an over head launcher that was made for smoke bomb

now what does invisible do for you trip trip trip get them scared to stand up then when they cant see you over head smoke bomb

Yeah, it can be good for hiding your mixups, but in all honesty his sweep and B+2 are so fast that no one is going to block them on reaction anyway.

In my experience, decent opponents throw out cr.3 when you try to approach while invisible, which ends the invisibility with even one tick. If that’s what’s gonna happen, I’d rather use the time that it took to perform the move to get myself into a position for better setups.

That’s just my experience though. I’m not trying to call the move worthless, but I rarely use it because in my experience it’s proven suboptimal. It definitely has benefits though, and if it’s working for you then more power to you.

In the Kung Lao matchup, you say never jump, however, can you use a jump to bait a spin, then TP to punish it? If so, that could be a good tool for making Kung afraid to spin, which would be incredibly helpful in the match.

I love doing his juggles, but lately like against Katana and Liu Kang i’ve been hit and run with my play style. Sure it wins, but it disgust me. Ground bounce OTG smokebomb is tits.

So how is the Katana match up, do i just dash in and out, or do i have to put on the offensive, damn her ground bounce

Just tested it. You teleport right into the spin.

Whatever works for you should be how you deal with it. Don’t be disgusted by what it takes to leverage your character’s advantages over the opponent.

Kitana matchup is kinda a pain. She can’t zone you thanks to shake, which is usually her main game. Her normals can be irritating but her big damage options are unsafe, so stay calm. She’s a pain to pin down thanks to square wave, and she can use it to get passed pretty much all of your oki options and stuff your jump ins.

It’s a really weird, annoying match that takes a lot of reading how your opponent reacts to certain situations. It’s probably a 5/5 though.

Updated combo damage to match the new stealth patch. Air throw now prorates slightly more, causing OTG smoke bomb combos to do slightly less damage.

Trying to update the matchup info, but the new forums not having spoiler tags are making that a pain. I included a link to the same info (plus more) on TYM instead until this is resolved.

^Spoiler tags are back and so are the Classic emoticons.

I find this jump in combo to be easier for me-
Jumping :hp:–>:lk:, :hp:–>Jumping :hk:xxThrow–>Smoke Bomb–>:lk:, :d::lp:, :hp:–>Jumping :hk:xxThrow

Is there any way to do Smoke Bomb–>Chain–>Super?
I can never seem to get the Super to combo =/

Sweet. I’ll probably just keep the link though. Easier to update only one thing.

That’s the same combo as the one listed except it’s missing the D+1 in the middle (which probably doesn’t change the damage, but it does make you lose the overhead).

3, D+1, 2 doesn’t combo to x-ray (at least not in the middle of a combo after gravity scaling), so your only option is after a smoke bomb. Comboing x-ray is usually a waste of meter anyway. The extra damage isn’t worth the meter, especially with smoke’s great enhanced moves. It’s really only useful for getting unbreakable damage to finish off your opponent.

Thanks for the feedback.
I updated to 1.02 today and was messing with Smoke and…did they remove his OTG smoke bomb?

The OTG smoke bomb is gone. Just that I would answer you even though you asked quite a while back.

Damn, I was trying out these combos and then I remembered someone said you can still do OTG smoke bombs with MK2 Smoke. Sure enough, I switched costumes and I can’t do it anymore.

I’ve been trying that OTG combo for an hour now and just read that you can’t do it anymore. Weak.

First post should really be updated.

thanks