Mental Toughness

Good read. Just reading this just made me think of a MVC2 match I had a while ago.

My Hayato, Jin and Captain Com against a Magneto Storm and Sentinel. Obviously, I felt that I was going to lose because players who use Team MSS can use them very well. I felt outclassed and technically outframed. Yet, I still felt comfortable with characters I felt I did ok with and I actually won, not thinking about if I was going to lose.

There is just so much that inexperienced players forget, and even experienced ones forget too.

Don’t stress, stay positive, and focus on the task at hand.

And don’t think you have to play a certian way to win, just go with what works.

I should keep notes like this on a pad to look at when I go to tourneys.

nice thread very informative keep up the good posting

:pleased: Thanks for the advice this is gonna help alot against some tournament players I play,

Loved the article. I have to say that one of my favorite parts was this:

So true. Too many people take Tier Lists too seriously. Granted they are useful when you do think about equal skill vs equal skill, you can’t let them totally rule your choices.

Also - RPD - that was a hilarious tactic and I plan on using it lol.

I had a “Lucky win” not too long ago in a (free-to-enter, but that didn’t stop me from wanting to play my best) Super SF4 teams tournament.

My Gouken and my partner’s Balrog against arguably the city’s two best players (when they’re using Honda and Balrog, but they switched to Gen and Juri respectively). I led off against the Gen, and having played the matchup more than he had, I took it.

It was during the second round of the fight against Juri that the lucky break came. She had activated Feng Shui Engine, and had me knocked down in the corner. I was facing a pinwheel on wakeup, and had attempted to input EXDF to chip out the win. Instead, I got EX Counter. Pinwheel hits the counter, KO.

I just went :O, then “That’s not what I was going for, but I will take it!” and shook hands.

Hell, I still remember my match against Justin Wong himself… in All-Brawl. I let myself avoid falling into the pedestal trap by telling myself that this wasn’t his game, and that I knew I could win against him. Unfortunately, I didn’t, but I did at least take it to the final game with a character that most think suck. If I’d practiced a bit more, then I just might’ve pulled it out.

Pretty good advice. I will use that advice when I will enter more tournaments. Thank you very much.

Hey, I guess I’m doing some stuff right. I have not once known how many people were even in a tournament or at what place I stood or who I was about to fight or even in the same bracket with. I just enter… And play my match when im called. I do have one problem though! Sleep! I’ve been goin to tournaments at the next level arcade recently and they don’t start till 8 at least! My body clock starts getting tired when ten o clock draws near… And when I’m tired… My brain becomes a loser… At one tourney I was like,… Man… If I lose this… I can go to sleep… No! Thats not the way to think! (I end up losing.) the only tournament at the next level I did pretty good in… Was when I threw off my sleeping pattern with a mid day nap… I wonder how I would fair in a tournament that was actually as many hours long as you say it can be!
One more thing! The tournament I did best in was the first tournament I ever went to. I coulda won! But do to certain circumstances the tournament had to stop early and the formatt was switched from best 2 out of 3 to just one fight. (I was winning all my matches but I often lost the first fight while figurin a dude out). Yeah, so I figured the last dude out, but it was too late…
The main thing about this tourney though was that I was super psyched up before going! Every single day I was hype preparing for it! And on that day. I was psyched up to win!

I think my biggest problem is how I shutdown when I’m getting lockdown. I also talk a lot when I’m playing and not playing. Is that bad?