Matchup Thread -- Zangief

Thanks for that :slight_smile:

I don’t need reps of that combo I can do it in my sleep. The problem was lag. I don’t concentrate on laggy execution errors because no amount of practice can make them go away.

Ok so what you said that was interesting here is “He played like he knew I wouldn’t throw”

In what situations particularly was I in where I could throw or threaten to throw?

In earlier matches I did try to throw him a counsel of times but I got jabbed out cause of lag and not having proper spacing (trying to get proper spacing seemed very hard cause I would have had to zone closer to him and risk a dash in throw against his wiffed cr.lp/fhp/random button abuse.

But really if you think I was missing throw opportunities that’s something I didn’t expect and would like to explore further.

What would have been my answer to his poking/anti poking game?

Ok nvm I understand what you mean now that I’ve watched the matches now. It looks completely different when there’s no teleporting or slowdown.

I see what you mean about him not being afraid of throw now as well. You are talking about doing dash up throw instead of dashup st.hp.

The thing is I was never really in range for dash up throw. I was spacing the dash up hp to be near tip spacing because I was trying to basically get lucky and hit his stupid cr.lp that he was wiffing from miles to protect against dash up throw. But in the lag I failed to notice that he adjusted and turtles up against my neutral offense.

That’s just the first match. Yeah I would have won had I not dropped that super confirm… but that’s the way the lag goes sometimes I guess.

Watching these over again it’s pretty clear the problem was the lag.

I’m not professing to be an expert, but one thing I try to do is condition him to block early in the match.

Way 1: more wakeup ex headbutt. I saw you try it. It got blocked and he blew you up for it. You quit after that.
If you consistently do it in the match, he’ll think “what a noob” and be conditioned to wait and not press a button on your next wakeup. That’s one opportunity to wake up, slight walk forward x throw or at the least ease up the rushdown pressure.

Way 2: Use a mix of st mk, df hk, and f mp to keep him at bay. The way he kept poking, you’ll score a hit/crush counter with that df hk knocking him back. Keep moving back and forth in and out of range. Now he’ll be conditioned to expect pokes. Most likely he’ll say fuck this and jump in when in range. A few st hk’s will train him…nope. His AA game is on point.

If I was playing him, I would’ve started like you and threw a few fireballs to see how he would react.
Build up the white life. Mix up lp, mp, charged fireballs. One will hit and take away the white life. He’ll get tired of it and start coming forward. Get your st HK / f mp ready. After you anti-air the first jump in, wait. Wait for an immediate second jump in. If it happens, anti-air that. Your goal is to show him that your anti-air game is on point. Leaving him to poke his way in.

Now, here I would st mk if just outside the range. When outside, I throw the df hk / st mk mix. Eventually, I’ll catch him hitting a button or trying a charged hp and the df hk will crush counter him back. Walk slightly forward to maintain range and wait for that jump in again. Need to remind him that your anti-air game is on point. No jump in?? Continue the st mk / df hk pokes.

Now once you sense he’s on the defensive and hits less buttons, use your f mp to get in. With the f mp, I mix up cr lk, cr lp, hp headbutt & f mp x throw.

If he gets aggressive, back up like you did without dashing if possible. Maintain the outside range. Expect jump ins here. And if you get pushed to the corner. Wait for the right moment to get out.

Repeat strategy.

Works for me a lot of the time. There are a few giefs that blow my shit up despite my gameplan. But this could be a start.

Let me know if it helps!

My Gief Gameplan

So I played a non laggy gief and destroyed him, he was much higher ranked than me as well. But he didn’t use forwarddash or fhp at all so I just fireballed all day and AA’d with super and fmp…